• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm sure this has been asked a number of times already, but at what level can I tackle Dead Money? Or can I just go into that whenever?

bhlaab

GuiltybyAssociation said:
I'm sure this has been asked a number of times already, but at what level can I tackle Dead Money? Or can I just go into that whenever?

Whenever, but it was made for level 20 and above. You'll get a warning when you hit the point of no return.

Is there no way to leave the legate camp? I didn't know it was the last mission so i was surprised when it ended. I still want to do more quest but i saved right in the damn camp. =/

I take my time with FO games. I stop playing for awhile when i want to take a break from it or new game comes out. My last save was May 16th so you can imagine the feeling of coming back to it a month later only to have it end out of nowhere.

Aaron

Kung Fu Grip said:
Is there no way to leave the legate camp? I didn't know it was the last mission so i was surprised when it ended. I still want to do more quest but i saved right in the damn camp. =/

I take my time with FO games. I stop playing for awhile when i want to take a break from it or new game comes out. My last save was May 16th so you can imagine the feeling of coming back to it a month later only to have it end out of nowhere.
Always have multiple saves in an RPG. Always.

But yeah I think you're screwed.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
There will never be a DLC that extends the game beyond the ending. The endings present in NV explain the fate of factions and people for years to come.

duckroll

This is the ongoing cycle of the NV thread. :D

NV vs FO3 -> When is the DLC coming out -> Why can't we continue after the ending -> NV vs FO3 -> etc

duckroll

Lothars said:
So does anyone think we will get both DLC packages this month or will we get one this month and one next month?

I don't think we'll get Lonesome Road until Sept to be honest. Maybe Bethesda will surprise me and release it early next month, but I have my doubts. They're really staggering the DLC, either because they're busy marketing other titles, or they want to give each one more time to sell because of low sales. I don't know the reason, but it's definitely an issue with the publishing end rather than the development one. :(

Dead Man said:
It's comforting, in a way. :)

War, war never changes.

Lothars

duckroll said:
I don't think we'll get Lonesome Road until Sept to be honest. Maybe Bethesda will surprise me and release it early next month, but I have my doubts. They're really staggering the DLC, either because they're busy marketing other titles, or they want to give each one more time to sell because of low sales. I don't know the reason, but it's definitely an issue with the publishing end rather than the development one. :(

That really sucks but has it been confirmed that it's a publishing issue than a development issue? I ask because they seem to release patches with the DLC and it seemed like that might have been a reason why either way I wish the DLC wasn't delayed, I really want to play it more fallout.

duckroll

Lothars said:
That really sucks but has it been confirmed that it's a publishing issue than a development issue? I ask because they seem to release patches with the DLC and it seemed like that might have been a reason why either way I wish the DLC wasn't delayed, I really want to play it more fallout.

Well, Honest Hearts was done way back in March or April. Completed, in the bag, ready to publish at any time. Back then they said "we're waiting to release a patch first". Well the patch was released, and the DLC still took weeks to come out. Old World Blues has also been completed for some time now, ready to go at any time, since the team has been working on Lonesome Road for months now (which is pretty much complete too). Again they're saying "we're waiting to release a patch first".

Kung Fu Grip said:
Huh? Fallout 3 did.

Yeah well, you're not posting in the Fallout 3 thread!

Van Buren

jim-jam bongs said:
NV > FO3

Just doing my bit to keep things ticking over.

I concur - Fallout 3's world and plot made no sense, without even considering the abysmal writing (especially the dialog, which contains the dumbest-sounding "intelligent" dialog options I've seen in a game). For a world that was reduced to a wasteland by the use of nuclear weapons, the wasteland is inexplicably overcrowded and its casual treatment of nuclear explosions (mini-nukes, exploding cars, etc.) was jarring. It felt more like an amusement park rather than a coherently-designed world; it was disappointing in Fallout 2 and felt downright awful in Fallout 3. I wish Bethesda had considered the plausibility of the various sub-stories in the game within the context of the lore of the Fallout universe instead of just adding whatever came to mind. The mishandling of Mutants (the evil Orcs!) and the Brotherhood of Steel (the noble Knights!) made me wonder if Bethesda really did interpret the Fallout universe to be Oblivion with guns - a phrase that was floating around in jest before the game's release. If only I could bring myself to complete Brotherhood of Steel, it would be interesting to see which game was more consistent with the Fallout lore.

The less said about the plot the better. Funnily, it borrows from the main stories of Fallout 1 (water) and Fallout 2 (G.E.C.K), but the water purification main quest was dumb for a couple of reasons - the aforementioned callous use of nuclear weapons and the prevalence of exploding nuclear cars did nothing to drive home the quest's urgency and importance, and the fact that filtering water through earth is supposed to remove nearly all the radiation made the entire plot seem redundant. The universal always-judging Karma system has always been awful, but it was made even worse due to the butler with his clean water and the beggar who accepts said water for good Karma. I much rather prefer individual faction reputations, which make much more sense.

That said, I can see Fallout 3 being preferred if it was one's first taste of the Fallout universe, thereby influencing what one comes to expect of future games. Either that, or if one likes the hiking sims that Bethesda has been making in recent years.

mujun

duckroll said:

[wishful thinking]Maybe they are staggering it because their next Fallout game is taking longer than they expected[/wishful thinking]

johntown

Banned
Van Buren said:
That said, I can see Fallout 3 being preferred if it was one's first taste of the Fallout universe, thereby influencing what one comes to expect of future games. Either that, or if one likes the hiking sims that Bethesda has been making in recent years.
This is most likely the reason I prefer Fallout 3 over New Vegas.......I played Fallout 3 first.

Maybe it is just me but why do people always say Obsidian does excellent story telling? It is not bad but I really don't consider it any better than the stories that were in Fallout 3.

Labadal

johntown said:
This is most likely the reason I prefer Fallout 3 over New Vegas.......I played Fallout 3 first.

Maybe it is just me but why do people always say Obsidian does excellent story telling? It is not bad but I really don't consider it any better than the stories that were in Fallout 3.

The actual writing quality.

johntown

Banned
Labadal said:
The actual writing quality.
Could you go a litte more in depth than that? I am not saying Fallout 3 had an original story or anything but why is New Vegas better quality than Fallout 3 (story wise)?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
duckroll said:
This is the ongoing cycle of the NV thread. :D

NV vs FO3 -> When is the DLC coming out -> Why can't we continue after the ending -> NV vs FO3 -> etc
Hey come on now, we had a nice song battle earlier. That changed things up a bit lol

Lakitu

st5fu
johntown said:
Could you go a litte more in depth than that? I am not saying Fallout 3 had an original story or anything but why is New Vegas better quality than Fallout 3 (story wise)?

Dialogue, characters, impact on the world / factions and has a lot more in common with the earlier games than Fallout 3 has.

Labadal

johntown said:

I think the lines/dilogues are better written. The main quests were overall more fun in New Vegas. (Fallout 3 had some really good side quests.) I enjoyed the faction system in New Vegas. It had characters I like and remember. Enjoyed the main story more.

Van Buren

johntown said:
Maybe it is just me but why do people always say Obsidian does excellent story telling?

Considering just the two games, compare the "intelligent" dialog responses - it becomes apparent that one company is trying its hand at such dialog writing for the first time (Bethesda), while the other has writers who have been doing so for over a decade. Storytelling, writing and believable choices and consequences are the reasons why I play Obsidian games. Bethesda's strengths lie elsewhere (outside the effort put into the lore in The Elder Scrolls), and the main plot is never the reason I play the games.

Outside the two games, Obsidian's history points to titles with very good writing -

KOTOR 2 - The way how the Force, the Jedi and the Sith were painted in colors more than just black and white was the game's crowning achievement. That and Kreia, one of the most memorable and ambiguous characters I've come across in the medium. I know in mentioning this, the inevitable counterpoint, the unfinished ending, is going to be raised, and I too wish external factors had not robbed the game of a clearly-defined ending. ( that said, I hear The Old Republic MMO does not continue with the storyline much, so it's just as well. )

NWN2 & Expansions - The writing in the core game lacked the typical Obsidian flair, yet was reminiscent of the writing found in a typical Bioware game. Mask of the Betrayer, though, features exceptional writing, and the story of the Spirit-Eater felt like a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, which is no mean feat.

Alpha Protocol - I felt that the game's characterization and superb conversations put its nearest competitor, the ME series, to shame, despite making use of the stifling dialog wheel.

johntown

Banned
Can anyone tell me if any of the DLC is worth getting. I hear mixed things about Dead Money. I am interested in Honest Hearts but just curious on what people here think about both of them.

My main concern is stability issues. The Fallout 3 DLC was extreemly buggy and New Vegas (for me) froze quite often and had some annoying bugs. I heard they were going to release a patch that was suppossed to fix most of the freezing issues and other things. BTW I am playing on a PS3.

johntown

Banned
Van Buren said:
Considering just the two games, compare the "intelligent" dialog responses - it becomes apparent that one company is trying its hand at such dialog writing for the first time (Bethesda), while the other has writers who have been doing so for over a decade. Storytelling, writing and believable choices and consequences are the reasons why I play Obsidian games. Bethesda's strengths lie elsewhere (outside the effort put into the lore in The Elder Scrolls), and the main plot is never the reason I play the games.

Outside the two games, Obsidian's history points to titles with very good writing -

KOTOR 2 - The way how the Force, the Jedi and the Sith were painted in colors more than just black and white was the game's crowning achievement. That and Kreia, one of the most memorable and ambiguous characters I've come across in the medium. I know in mentioning this, the inevitable counterpoint, the unfinished ending, is going to be raised, and I too wish external factors had not robbed the game of a clearly-defined ending. ( that said, I hear The Old Republic MMO does not continue with the storyline much, so it's just as well. )

NWN2 & Expansions - The writing in the core game lacked the typical Obsidian flair, yet was reminiscent of the writing found in a typical Bioware game. Mask of the Betrayer, though, features exceptional writing, and the story of the Spirit-Eater felt like a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, which is no mean feat.

Alpha Protocol - I felt that the game's characterization and superb conversations put its nearest competitor, the ME series, to shame, despite making use of the stifling dialog wheel.
I agree that the main quest is usually never the deciding factor in playing these games. I consider good story telling Bioware games. Mass Effect does an excellent job of this. Dragon Age is done very well too.

I have never really played any of their other games so I cannot really comment on other games but (to me) it just does not really seem that much better.

I am not following what you meant by Bethesda trying their hand at writing for the first time? There is the whole Elder Scrolls series?

Aaron

Van Buren said:
New Vegas does have very good writing, but that's not the same as storytelling. I found their quest design lacking, and their choices limiting. I never got the option that I really wanted to make, and I found the two major factions muddled and poorly represented. I didn't care about either of them, and in that way the whole ending act, which did not go in any way I would have chosen, felt futile to me. There didn't feel as if there was much leading up to it, and by the end I was only doing it to get it done.

Fallout 3's main story has it's flaws, but it has clearly defined characters and motivations, which lets you invest in the ultimate outcome, with Broken Steel fixing what had been a too limited choice in the original version. The dialogue and characters weren't as good... but the strength of the story carried it through for me. Not so for New Vegas. That was mainly a loot game for me, though I enjoyed the interactions with the companions, limited though they were.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
On on Win7 64bit

With the overlay crashes, I went into program files and set compatibility mode to win xp for both the launcher and the game. Seemed to have solved it.

venom2124

johntown said:
Can anyone tell me if any of the DLC is worth getting. I hear mixed things about Dead Money. I am interested in Honest Hearts but just curious on what people here think about both of them.

My main concern is stability issues. The Fallout 3 DLC was extreemly buggy and New Vegas (for me) froze quite often and had some annoying bugs. I heard they were going to release a patch that was suppossed to fix most of the freezing issues and other things. BTW I am playing on a PS3.
I've got both dlcs for ps3. They are both worth it. The story for dead money is great and the characters you meet are some of my favorite in the game. Honest hearts is completely different, focusing on exploration and some new weapons. As for how they run, my copy of new Vegas freezes regularly during the main game, but I haven't had 1 freeze while playing either of the dlcs. They seem to run better than the main game. I'm excited for old world blues, but I really want lonesome road. The idea of wandering down a long stretch by yourself just sounds awesome.

duckroll

johntown said:

Both DLCs out right now are very different, but they're both good in their own ways. If you like NV, chances are you'll enjoy them. Dead Money is a longer DLC (~8 hours) with more plot and character interactions. Honest Hearts is more about loot and exploration, and has really nice graphics (clean water, great vistas of cliffs and stuff, great night sky, realtime rain, etc). It's a much shorter DLC (~4 hours), but you can return to it after completing it, unlike Dead Money.

The upcoming patch promises to increase stability for PS3 more than the other two platforms, and comes with a ton of bug fixes and various memory optimization improvements. It's supposed to be a 300 meg download for PS3, so hopefully it improves your experience substantially.

johntown

Banned
venom2124 said:
I've got both dlcs for ps3. They are both worth it. The story for dead money is great and the characters you meet are some of my favorite in the game. Honest hearts is completely different, focusing on exploration and some new weapons. As for how they run, my copy of new Vegas freezes regularly during the main game, but I haven't had 1 freeze while playing either of the dlcs. They seem to run better than the main game. I'm excited for old world blues, but I really want lonesome road. The idea of wandering down a long stretch by yourself just sounds awesome.
Do you recall what level you were at when you started the DLC's? I only ask because the stability issues with these games are directly related to the size of the save file.

I of course have several NV saves but I would prefer to use my level 30 character but I know the save file is well over 10MB. If you used a level 30 character when starting them then I will not worry about anything.

I know with F03 I could play the DLC without any issues but I could not be over level 9.

Thanks!

Van Buren

Aaron said:
New Vegas does have very good writing, but that's not the same as storytelling. I found their quest design lacking, and their choices limiting. I never got the option that I really wanted to make, and I found the two major factions muddled and poorly represented. I didn't care about either of them, and in that way the whole ending act, which did not go in any way I would have chosen, felt futile to me. There didn't feel as if there was much leading up to it, and by the end I was only doing it to get it done.

Fallout 3's main story has it's flaws, but it has clearly defined characters and motivations, which lets you invest in the ultimate outcome, with Broken Steel fixing what had been a too limited choice in the original version. The dialogue and characters weren't as good... but the strength of the story carried it through for me. Not so for New Vegas. That was mainly a loot game for me, though I enjoyed the interactions with the companions, limited though they were.
It's fascinating that the two 3d Fallout games are so polarizing. As I already mentioned earlier in the thread, Fallout 3's mishandling of the established Fallout factions, coupled with the illogical main quest and forgettable, at best, writing destroyed my interest in the story. Outside the main story, the entire game felt like it was a patchwork of ill-fitting ideas, and most character motivations and factions were presented in black and white terms, which I personally detest in a WRPG. Outside a few side quests, I found the choices and consequences to be largely mediocre; for instance, the entire much hyped-up situation of Megaton, and the circumstances that progress that plot point. It felt like an abysmal Fallout game, but I feel it's a step in the right direction for Bethesda after Oblivion.

New Vegas, in contrast, felt like a direct successor to Fallout 2, and contained more of the Black Isle design elements, in that the mystery behind a central conflict is slowly unraveled, and the said conflict between the factions is the driving force behind the entire game. I greatly appreciated the absence of nonsensical theme-park elements like Lamplight, and liked the emphasis placed on interacting with the various factions instead. The main factions are portrayed to be flawed, which is far more realistic and makes for a much more interesting experience compared to the black and white morality systems that plague a few high-profile WRPGs these days. Furthermore, the minor factions, like the Boomers and the Kings, weren't just there to pad the game's features, and were arguably as fascinating as the central conflict. Ultimately, I guess it comes down to me preferring a sequel to Fallout 2 rather than a sequel to Bethesda's take on the Fallout world.

Aaron

Mystery in New Vegas? I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. The game tells you why you were shot and left for dead within the first half hour pretty much, obviously depending on if you choose to follow the main story path or not. It really doesn't slowly unravel, so much as spill out the whole deal when you meet Mr. House. After that it's essentially politics.

Neither game felt anything like a true successor to Fallout 2 for me, and that's discounting the change of perspective. It feels more like the transition from Wasteland to Fallout, where the subject matter was essentially the same, but the mood is different. Fallout 3 changed the mood again, and New Vegas is a lot closer to that than it is to Fallout 2.

venom2124

johntown said:
Do you recall what level you were at when you started the DLC's? I only ask because the stability issues with these games are directly related to the size of the save file.

I of course have several NV saves but I would prefer to use my level 30 character but I know the save file is well over 10MB. If you used a level 30 character when starting them then I will not worry about anything.

I know with F03 I could play the DLC without any issues but I could not be over level 9.

Thanks!
When I first started dead money, I was level 32 and the main game was locking up constantly. I started the dlc and it ran without a hitch. My second go around with the dlc is with a level 24 character and it's running just as smooth. I don't know if it's like this for everyone but I'm really happy how the dlc performs compared to the crash happy main game.

Van Buren

Aaron said:
Mystery in New Vegas? I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. The game tells you why you were shot and left for dead within the first half hour pretty much, obviously depending on if you choose to follow the main story path or not. It really doesn't slowly unravel, so much as spill out the whole deal when you meet Mr. House. After that it's essentially politics.

Neither game felt anything like a true successor to Fallout 2 for me, and that's discounting the change of perspective. It feels more like the transition from Wasteland to Fallout, where the subject matter was essentially the same, but the mood is different. Fallout 3 changed the mood again, and New Vegas is a lot closer to that than it is to Fallout 2.

In case my post wasn't making it apparent, the politics you mention are what I consider to be the central driving force for the game; not the courier story, which felt like nothing more than a convenient narrative hook to prod the player along to a major player. Subsequently, the mystery I refer to concerns the constant discovery of the workings of the factions. Balancing the interests of the primary factions while learning as much as possible about them before committing to a single irredeemable choice was much more interesting than setting off on a fool's errand of quest - the water purification - since it is fundamentally illogical. To me, the two prior Fallout games place much higher emphasis and care on the main plot compared to Bethesda's typical efforts, and Fallout 3's failings in this regard was a significant drawback that sapped what little enjoyment I had on playing the game.

New Vegas still felt closer to the Black Isle Fallouts purely because it ditched Fallout 3's retconned noble BOS and largely-evil mutants. The absence of the crude treatment of nuclear explosions went a long way as well to help dispel the theme-park feeling.

If you're on the PC, I HIGHLY recommend these mods. These have probably been posted at one point or another, if so consider it a +1.

New Vegas bounties I & II (DLC-esque pack)
Adds a quest-line where the courier is a bounty hunter and has to kill/capture numerous targets. Has tons of unique content, I would consider the both of these mods DLC-quality, the plot is actually decent and pretty faithful to the base game. I anticipate the 3rd one.

MTUI (Bigger, better UI)

Nevada Skies

Dynamic weather effects. Thunder, nuclear storms, snow (where it makes sense), rain, etc. And you get an item that lets you tweak them.

Unlimited Companions
It does unbalance the base game, and some other mods, but at level 40 god-like status it doesn't bother me much since I kill shit immediately anyways. There's nothing more awesome than watching all of your power-armor clad companions tear apart a host of deathclaws before they can get within 10 meters, and in the unlikelihood of survivors, they get torn apart by your melee squad.

Installation for all of these is as simple and downloading, clicking and dragging to your game directories, and enabling them in the game launcher. Might add a few if I ever get to checking others out.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Lionheart1337 said:
If you're on the PC, I HIGHLY recommend these mods. These have probably been posted at one point or another, if so consider it a +1.

New Vegas bounties I & II (DLC-esque pack)
Adds a quest-line where the courier is a bounty hunter and has to kill/capture numerous targets. Has tons of unique content, I would consider the both of these mods DLC-quality, the plot is actually decent and pretty faithful to the base game. I anticipate the 3rd one.

MTUI (Bigger, better UI)

Nevada Skies

Dynamic weather effects. Thunder, nuclear storms, snow (where it makes sense), rain, etc. And you get an item that lets you tweak them.

Unlimited Companions
It does unbalance the base game, and some other mods, but at level 40 god-like status it doesn't bother me much since I kill shit immediately anyways. There's nothing more awesome than watching all of your power-armor clad companions tear apart a host of deathclaws before they can get within 10 meters, and in the unlikelihood of survivors, they get torn apart by your melee squad.

Installation for all of these is as simple and downloading, clicking and dragging to your game directories, and enabling them in the game launcher. Might add a few if I ever get to checking others out.
Jim Jam has a pretty good Fallout mod thread set up here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426315

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Starting Honest Hearts now. I love the change of scenery from the main game and Dead Money so far. I had to redo like 10 hours of play but at least I can play the game now. Must be just me but there is awful slowdown in the PS3 version. Out of nowhere places would crawl to like 5-10 fps. Only real remedy is to reload the game it seems.

Top Bottom