• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

No^ Might be best to wait for GOTY version though.

Kadey said:
Starting Honest Hearts now. I love the change of scenery from the main game and Dead Money so far. I had to redo like 10 hours of play but at least I can play the game now. Must be just me but there is awful slowdown in the PS3 version. Out of nowhere places would crawl to like 5-10 fps. Only real remedy is to reload the game it seems.

Yeah man the game is a trainwreck performance wise. Restarts do seem to help. My steady 60 fps on the PC version falls down to like 5 fps in like probably an hour or two or play. It's mostly during battles.... not to mention the random crashes, even after all the patching.

Alpha-Bromega said:
is this bad news for Obsidian? it's only been like 9 months

I don't see how it could be bad news for them. I think they have a deal with Bethesda or something where they already received all of their money for making the game. It's Bethesda that sets the price and gets the $ from the sales. I could be wrong.

mujun

Labadal said:
Sales for New Vegas were great. I think both Bethesda and Obsidian can be happy.

Yeah, I hope they are happy and have some spoils to show for their hard work. Hopefully we will hear something sooner rather than later about another Obsidian Fallout game.

Just lost an hour of gameplay because of a corrupt save. Thanks, Obsidian!

EDIT: Holy shit, this game just got glitchalicious on me. Travelled to the Tribal Village, when all of a sudden my party members disappeared on me, leaving me to fend for myself against a horde of Cazadores. I dispatch them, only to get sneak attacked by the Burned Bodies you normally find dead there. I proceed to fight them as another group of Cazadores arrives out of nowhere, and then my game freezes. I hadn't saved for fifteen minutes or so. Fuck on a stick.

Gravijah

Just picked the game up after renting it and completing the main story last year. Gotta get the DLC at somepoint, but first I'll be starting an "evil" playthrough. But...
WHO DO I SIDE WITH THIS TIME?

Bentendo

Aw man. I downloaded the game but when I move the mouse around and press my keyboard buttons there's a big gap between when I do it and when it registers, basically making this game unplayable.

Grinchy

Banned
I won't claim the PC version is free of glitchiness as I'm only around 14 hours in, but I haven't had a single crash or anything wrong so far. Well, there was a quest right outside of Goodsprings that wasn't working properly, but aside from that I've had not a single issue. It also runs quite well for me. I'm really glad I picked it up in an earlier sale.

klee123

Ok, now that the game has been balanced multiple times and with the 2 dlcs. What do you all consider as the best weapons in the game?

At the moment, I'm really liking the Survivalist's rifle. Great Power and decent AC usage. Ammo isn't too rare either. The game shines even further when you have the grunt perk.

I'm also liking the holorifle a lot too. With the attachments, it's probably one of the most useful energy weapons in the game.

broham

It's not the best gun but hot damn do I love using the .357 magnum. Every time i do a cowboy themed playthough it's always my weapon of choice. Now if only there was a perk or something that let me fan the sucker.

Anyone else run into the glitch where the game locks up upon trying leaving the Jacobstown lodge? It's the first game-breaking issue I've had, pre or post-patch, most of the others have been minor (often amusing) glitches or random freezes. Had to load a few saves back to get round it. It was weird, because I had no problem exiting or entering the place earlier.

In other news, I'm really enjoying Dead Money. The writing and characters are really interesting so far, I just can not see Bethesda writing characters and scenarios on this level.

hemtae

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Anyone else run into the glitch where the game locks up upon trying leaving the Jacobstown lodge? It's the first game-breaking issue I've had, pre or post-patch, most of the others have been minor (often amusing) glitches or random freezes. Had to load a few saves back to get round it. It was weird, because I had no problem exiting or entering the place earlier.

In other news, I'm really enjoying Dead Money. The writing and characters are really interesting so far, I just can not see Bethesda writing characters and scenarios on this level.

Try disabling the autosave and see if you can leave, because I had a problem where the game would crash everytime it tried to save which has been my only real serious problem

Wallach

water_wendi said:
Hopefully it means they are trying to clear stock for an Ultimate edition. Cant be GOTY when the press shit all over the game.

It has an 84 metacritic score, I don't know as I'd say they really shit on it. Anyway they shipped more than 5 million before the end of 2010 so it's probably just more likely that BB had a decent amount of overstock they wanted to clear out of their chain. A full DLC included pack will probably be ready for the holiday season.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wallach said:
It has an 84 metacritic score, I don't know as I'd say they really shit on it. Anyway they shipped more than 5 million before the end of 2010 so it's probably just more likely that BB had a decent amount of overstock they wanted to clear out of their chain. A full DLC included pack will probably be ready for the holiday season.
Afaik you need to have a GOTY award before calling your compilation release a GOTY Edition.

edit:
And no the press shit all over New Vegas. The game is better in every way and it reviewed much lower.

Fallout 3 94%
Fallout New Vegas 84%

Wallach

Yeah, Fallout 2 also scored lower than Fallout on average and I consider the sequel to be a better game too. I'm just saying I don't know if an 84 average really counts as being shit on.

Either way, Amazon had a listing for a GotY edition show up back in April before it got pulled. Whether they actually wind up calling it that I don't know, but I don't see a version like that showing up before the holidays.

Sober

Wallach said:
Yeah, Fallout 2 also scored lower than Fallout on average and I consider the sequel to be a better game too. I'm just saying I don't know if an 84 average really counts as being shit on.
On a 7-10 scale, 84 is pretty "average" for most people.

Wallach

StopMakingSense said:
Finally got around to meeting Benny and totally
fucked
him. God I love this game, lol.

I know that feel bro.

Shot his ass from like 5 feet with a 'nade rifle right in the mouth.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wallach said:

Either way, Amazon had a listing for a GotY edition show up back in April before it got pulled. Whether they actually wind up calling it that I don't know, but I don't see a version like that showing up before the holidays.
Sorry, but a full 10% less across the board despite being the vastly better game is being shit upon.

Is there some sort of set contract as to how many more DLC's Obsidian will make? or is it by demand? because the base game is good enough, the setting rich enough, that I hope that Obsidian can just make DLC for this game forever... and ever... and ever... by that i mean another year.

They struck commercial gold with this game and I am truly happy for them, they deserve it after all their less than steller sales :(

Wallach

Alpha-Bromega said:
Is there some sort of set contract as to how many more DLC's Obsidian will make? or is it by demand? because the base game is good enough, the setting rich enough, that I hope that Obsidian can just make DLC forever... and ever... and ever...

They struck commercial gold with this game and I am truly happy for them, they deserve it after all their less than steller sales :(

Yeah, they are making 4 total. Two already out and two more to come, with the next being released this month sometime.

And yeah, this game made a fuckton of money. Hopefully it pays off for them.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Alpha-Bromega said:
is this bad news for Obsidian? it's only been like 9 months

The game was already down to $20 several months ago, but it was one of the better selling games of 2010 so I don't think there is a problem in that regard. Probably just front loaded.

I picked it up on 360 at Best Buy today. I figure I might as well get into the main campaign for now, then see if a GOTY version goes on sale down the line for the DLC. Have most of the game killing bugs been patched at this point? I'll be backing up saves to internal memory and a USB drive just to avoid the worst possible circumstances.

water_wendi said:
Afaik you need to have a GOTY award before calling your compilation release a GOTY Edition.

Not even close. A number of games have had "GOTY" editions since 2008 without winning anything resembling a worthwhile award. It is just a way to repackage the content.

Wallach said:
Yeah, they are making 4 total. Two already out and two more to come, with the next being released this month sometime.

And yeah, this game made a fuckton of money. Hopefully it pays off for them.

Only 4? compared to the 5 of 3 but that's alright.

I hope to see a DLC in the scope of Point Lookout, that one with the burned man looks like it could be that.

Wallach

StopMakingSense said:
Well, my character is a woman, if that helps. Though I wonder if it would work with a man for that same perk.

Nope, he doesn't swing that way.

Alpha-Bromega said:
Only 4? compared to the 5 of 3 but that's alright.

I hope to see a DLC in the scope of Point Lookout, that one with the burned man looks like it could be that.

This third DLC should be pretty cool. It's basically a refitting of cut Fallout 2 content into the NV setting.

Fredescu

Mooreberg said:
Not even close. A number of games have had "GOTY" editions since 2008 without winning anything resembling a worthwhile award. It is just a way to repackage the content.
We had a thread about this a while ago, and to my memory no one successfully found a game that had a GOTY edition that hadn't also won a GOTY award from somewhere. Care to name some?

ArjanN

Fredescu said:
We had a thread about this a while ago, and to my memory no one successfully found a game that had a GOTY edition that hadn't also won a GOTY award from somewhere. Care to name some?

A better argument would have been to say that half the games released ever have a GOTY award from some website or magazine. It doesn't mean that much.

Oreoleo

duckroll said:
Anyone who is interested but hasn't gotten them yet has no excuse today! Catch up before Old World Blues!

How do they compare to Fallout 3's DLC? Are they more Mothership Zeta bad or Point Lookout awesome?

Lothars

Orellio said:
How do they compare to Fallout 3's DLC? Are they more Mothership Zeta bad or Point Lookout awesome?

I think that Dead Money is Mothership Zeta bad but Honest Hearts is really good, both are recommended to play just like I would recommend anyone to play FO3 DLC.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
QuantumBro said:
New Vegas dlc is $3 each on steam today.

Quick question I'm about 40hrs/level 20 into New Vegas On pc with tons of mods(graphics,weight,color pip boy ect)

I'm a slow player that likes to explore everything and do all the side quests I can. I've not gone to Fort yet for Mr. Vegas and I've only settled things with one family for Mr.Happy.

Any issues with installing the DLC at this point?Should I wait till I'm at the point of no return of main story quest or mess around with them now?

Oreoleo

Lothars said:
I think that Dead Money is Mothership Zeta bad but Honest Hearts is really good, both are recommended to play just like I would recommend anyone to play FO3 DLC.

Cool, thanks for the reply. I see Dead Money raises the level cap so it might be worth it just for that alone.

duckroll

Dead Money has great writing, great characters, and tells a pretty interesting self-contained story in the NV world. The only problem with it is that the level design is ugly, and pretty hard. It's filled with traps and stuff, and isn't meant for open exploration.

Honest Hearts has weaker overall writing, and the scenario isn't as engaging or interesting. But it has awesome area design, great visuals, and stuff you don't generally find anywhere in the normal NV world (like rain effects).

At 10 bucks, I found both well worth the money as unique additions to the NV game. At 3 bucks, they're basically a steal.

bloodydrake said:
Quick question I'm about 40hrs/level 20 into New Vegas On pc with tons of mods(graphics,weight,color pip boy ect)

I'm a slow player that likes to explore everything and do all the side quests I can. I've not gone to Fort yet for Mr. Vegas and I've only settled things with one family for Mr.Happy.

Any issues with installing the DLC at this point?Should I wait till I'm at the point of no return of main story quest or mess around with them now?

Dead Money's recommended level is about lvl20, Honest Hearst has no real level requirement and scales in difficulty based on level tiers. You should be fine doing the DLCs whenever you want with that character. Although once you start a DLC you cannot leave until you beat it, so you should keep that part in mind.

Lothars

Orellio said:
Cool, thanks for the reply. I see Dead Money raises the level cap so it might be worth it just for that alone.

Both Dead Money and Honest Hearts raise the level cap by 5 levels as will the next two.

duckroll

Lothars said:
Both Dead Money and Honest Hearts raise the level cap by 5 levels as will the next two.

Lvl50 Gods, here we come! I'm probably not going to bother with the lvl restriction trait for my first character when I get OWB. The reason is basically that while I do like a challenge, that character is already horribly broken, AND if I cap him now, it means I will miss out of being able to ever gain any of the new perks added in OWB and LR on that character. So I'll probably allow him to become a god. I'm considering taking the lvl30 capping trait on my second character though, since she's not quite at lvl30 yet.

Top Bottom