• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

zkylon

zkylewd
NoRéN said:
Does the game still just end after the final quest or is it like FO3 with broken steel.
"The game ends when the game ends" probably should've been the OT subtitle. Would've saved us many posts...

You just gotta do everything you want before the big ENDGAME IN 3 disclaimer :p No way around it on consoles, use mods in PC.

I enjoyed it probably better than HH and Dm but not as much as OWB. The story was pretty good and I liked that it was linear but had a lot of exploring and you could fast ravel around. Seems like there is content other than just that one area though, when I finished the DLC I got a message that I could go to a legion town in the east from cottonwood cove.

Dead Man

zkylon said:
"The game ends when the game ends" probably should've been the OT subtitle. Would've saved us many posts...

You just gotta do everything you want before the big ENDGAME IN 3 disclaimer :p No way around it on consoles, use mods in PC.
Yeah, it still strikes me as pretty inelegant in terms of story telling.

Liquid Helium said:
I enjoyed it probably better than HH and Dm but not as much as OWB. The story was pretty good and I liked that it was linear but had a lot of exploring and you could fast ravel around. Seems like there is content other than just that one area though, when I finished the DLC I got a message that I could go to a legion town in the east from cottonwood cove.

Yeah. Someone experienced'll have to go through the files and see.

From CA's twitter.

"If you haven't already, wait 24 hrs and go back to 1st Divide canyon vista after saving him."

Fjordson

Just finished. Thought it was awesome. It's right up there with OWB as my favourite DLC. I love Ulysses as a character and the lore that's provided for The Divide, your character's history, and a certain ally.

How did you guys end it?

I didn't launch anything. I'll take down the Legion in the end, but America doesn't need anymore nukes (at least for now). Certainly was tempted to take out the Bull, though :p

And fuck Tunnelers.

^ I did the same.

Also,

If you bomb NCR apparently you can go through the Mojave Outpost gate and get some new power armor? Gonna try it out now

Fjordson

Lionheart1337 said:
^ I did the same.

Also,

If you bomb NCR apparently you can go through the Mojave Outpost gate and get some new power armor? Gonna try it out now
Ooh really? I have a save right before you-know-what. Going to check out the other endings as well.

(just realized this isn't the DLC topic, where I meant to put my previous post, oops)

Sotha Sil

Thank God tunnelers are basically blind. Tough sons of bitches.

Anyone found a way to repair the
riot helmet
(with Jury Rigging)? Can't remember where to find heavy helmets.

I started up Lonesome Road and I forgot I had the stealth suit on, so I'm walking around all tense and it starts talking and I almost pissed myself.

Rolf NB

I've recently started vanilla FNV and duder, it's awesome. I'm vilified by the legion. I looted a crashed verticopter. I stood in front of a dino. I repaired many rebar clubs. I hauled 150 pounds worth of fission batteries from a basement.

Question time: I have low endurance and only like 8% national radiation resistance. I tried skirting around certain irradiated zones along the main road south from Goodsprings, but I don't feel like I will ever be able to enter/do stuff without getting the radiation sickness.

I have a fully repaired radiation suit (more than one actually) and recently even found the
space suit
, which nominally boosts my rad resistance by a whole lot, but it doesn't seem to make any difference when entering these zones. The +1 rads/sec ticker still starts going off in the same places as before, suit or no suit.

So what are my options? Will there ever come a point with new equip or higher endurance that allows me to venture into irradiated caves without racking up lots of rads? I've seen there's a high-level perk that definitely seems like it can solve this problem once and for all. Is there really no other way?

And I did try btw. I've done one place, the
Broc Flower Cave
, saw everything I wanted to see, but got to the first level of rad sickness. Hauled back to the nearest doctor, got cured. Seems okay.
I just have a hunch that these other places
(place with lots of ghouls west of the interstate; some sort of ant cave on the other side; something with "field" in the name just east of Novac; an entire abandoned town north of the airfield)
might be more expansive and take much longer to fully explore.

What's the plan?

Ponti

Rolf NB said:
Question time: I have low endurance and only like 8% national radiation resistance. I tried skirting around certain irradiated zones along the main road south from Goodsprings, but I don't feel like I will ever be able to enter/do stuff without getting the radiation sickness.

I have a fully repaired radiation suit (more than one actually) and recently even found the
space suit
, which nominally boosts my rad resistance by a whole lot, but it doesn't seem to make any difference when entering these zones. The +1 rads/sec ticker still starts going off in the same places as before, suit or no suit.

So what are my options? Will there ever come a point with new equip or higher endurance that allows me to venture into irradiated caves without racking up lots of rads? I've seen there's a high-level perk that definitely seems like it can solve this problem once and for all. Is there really no other way?

What's the plan?
One thing worth noting is that the games UI will always tell you you are receiving +1 RAD/sec even if you aren't (if your Rad resistance is capped at, I think 85%?, then it will in fact be well below +1 RAD/sec). Don't worry about your rad resistance that much, it's not really that important as you'll find plenty or Rad-X and RadAway eventually, and with a decent Endurance you'll be looking at around 60-70% resistance by just popping some Rad-X. If your going into the larger irradiated areas then make sure you have a decent supply of RadAway (10+ is a good amount) as well as capping, or close to capping, yourself with the Rad suit/Rad-X and you'll be fine. Also radiation sickness isn't that big a deal, you only really need to start worrying once your rad bar is almost full.

Endurance will increase your rad resistance by taking it's stat, removing 1 point and doubling it. As for perks there is one that increases your Rad resistance but it's a three rank perk and is honestly not worth it.

Rolf NB said:
I've recently started vanilla FNV and duder, it's awesome. I'm vilified by the legion. I looted a crashed verticopter. I stood in front of a dino. I repaired many rebar clubs. I hauled 150 pounds worth of fission batteries from a basement.

space suit

And I did try btw. I've done one place, the
Broc Flower Cave
, saw everything I wanted to see, but got to the first level of rad sickness. Hauled back to the nearest doctor, got cured. Seems okay.
I just have a hunch that these other places
(place with lots of ghouls west of the interstate; some sort of ant cave on the other side; something with "field" in the name just east of Novac; an entire abandoned town north of the airfield)
might be more expansive and take much longer to fully explore.

What's the plan?
There's nothing that completely prevents radiation poisoning. If you go into a radiated area, you'll be affected, the only thing your rad resistance affects is the rate at which you're affected by it. There's several perks that influence this, including one that makes your radiation levels drop by themselves over time, or one that makes you stronger as radiation sickness progresses. The only thing you can do is stock up on Rad-X and especially Radaway, they're a neccesity for any Wasteland explorer. Rad-X temporarily boosts your rad resistance, whereas RadAway manages to lower your Radiation by a pretty significant amount. They're not easy to find, though, so make sure you stock up throughout the game. There's certain locations where you're definitely going to need them.

All in all, though, I would say radiation doesn't play as big a role in New Vegas as it did in Fallout 3. You can perfectly complete the main quest without ever venturing into a radiation-heavy area, I think.

Tanolen

Sotha Sil said:
Thank God tunnelers are basically blind. Tough sons of bitches.

Anyone found a way to repair the
riot helmet
(with Jury Rigging)? Can't remember where to find heavy helmets.

They are very easy to kill, if you use the flare gun it causes them to run away from you, then if you are sneaking and pull out an actual weapon you can sneak crit them as they run away.

Zyzyxxz

Lord_Nergal said:
Really not impressed with LR.

same here, its interesting in terms of story and philosophy but on game content? Took me only 2 hours to get to the end, granted I did not explore much of the extra areas.

I have some questions about the ending choices:

What happens if I bomb both NCR and Legion, is there any difference to the areas that open up?

54-46!

Goddamnit, started a new character after 60+ hours of play time, now I like this one more.. I'll never finish this game.

But! having replayed the first 10 hours or so has given me a greater appreciation for the writing in this game, there are seeds planted here and there and the side quests never feel out of place, really good stuff. Maybe I wasn't paying attention the first time around.

Rolf NB

Ponti said:
One thing worth noting is that the games UI will always tell you you are receiving +1 RAD/sec even if you aren't (if your Rad resistance is capped at, I think 85%?, then it will in fact be well below +1 RAD/sec).
Thanks, that's good to know. I didn't realize the meter could be so totally broken, as I've already seen higher rads/sec ... but that was only when a golden gecko did some sort of spit attack on me. Never from the environment, now that I think about it.

After 40h+ of pillaging and looting, I'm well decked out in Rad-X and Radaway. Like 30+ of each. They weigh nothing after all, so I just carry my whole stock around all the time.

Marco1

Just started this with all of the DLC and with the weather and OJO Bueno and NMC high texture mods it really is one beautiful game.
Can't wait to see what the modders do with skyrim.

Circle T

Rolf NB said:
Thanks, that's good to know. I didn't realize the meter could be so totally broken, as I've already seen higher rads/sec ... but that was only when a golden gecko did some sort of spit attack on me. Never from the environment, now that I think about it.

After 40h+ of pillaging and looting, I'm well decked out in Rad-X and Radaway. Like 30+ of each. They weigh nothing after all, so I just carry my whole stock around all the time.
Same here. I keep a supply of them, in case a situation would arise when I'd need them. Mostly though, since I have my "Home Base" in Novac, I just pay Doctor whats-her-face there the 100 caps to drop me back to 0.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, I started up New Vegas for the first time post-LR patch and now I can't play the game at all.

It loads up fine, lets me select my save games, shows the loading screen, then the second the loading is done and it would need to render the 3d engine it crashes to desktop.

Never had this problem in all my 60+ hours of the main game and first 2 1/2 DLCs (still in the middle of OWB, was going to FINISH IT so I could start LR but...)

I tried verifying game cache and it replaced 1 file, but that didn't fix it. Still crashing to desktop every time after loading screen. I tried turning all sorts of visual stuff off, closing all background programs...didn't fix it.

So right now I just can't play NV at all; won't run. This is kind of annoying.

Wallach

2 days left until Bozar Edition.

Edit - God, I need a full list of weapons in GRA. If there's a Jackhammer or CAWS on top of the Bozar I am gonna have a nerdgasm. Just the new shotgun rounds are awesome enough that even the Bozar isn't going to get 100% playtime, but... those new rounds in an automatic shotgun? With "And Stay Back"... uh-uh. Nope. Game over, wasteland.

butsomuch

Will Ooi interviews with Josh Sawyer (project director/lead designer on Fallout: New Vegas and project director on Honest Hearts DLC)
WO: What are you up to at the moment, career-wise and outside of it?

JS: I'm working on a new game for Obsidian as a project director. It's a busy time, but every once in a while I get a few minutes to relax and I like where we're heading. Outside of work, I spend most of my time bicycling, reading, gaming, or spending time with my girlfriend and our cats.

Fjordson

butsomuch said:
Will Ooi interviews with Josh Sawyer (project director/lead designer on Fallout: New Vegas and project director on Honest Hearts DLC)
Josh Sawyer, my man.

After playing New Vegas, I really hope he gets to work on Fallout again some day. I mean if Obsidian wants to. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to whatever he does next.

I didn't know he was the lead guy for Honest Hearts. I'm going through that now for the first time. The weight limit was annoying at first (I'm the sort who carries way too much stuff with him at all times) but past that I'm loving it. I love Zion as a setting.

Wallach

Soon.

uR4Or.gif

Got back into this recently, OWB was awesome. Haven't gotten LR yet, but I will eventually. NMB's Texture Pack makes the game look amazing, it gets almost everything with a new, high-res texture as opposed to the random item here or there that Ojo Bueno would change.

I also put up a laser katana mod that I had originally made for myself on the Nexus, have at it if you want it. Bit of shameless self-promotion, but I really think some people on here might enjoy it.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=44068

Fjordson

Gun Runner's Arsenal is out on Xbox Live. Downloading it now!

Though I just realized I'm stuck in Zion at the moment on my main character. But still, GRA!

Marco1

AlphaDragoon said:
Got back into this recently, OWB was awesome. Haven't gotten LR yet, but I will eventually. NMB's Texture Pack makes the game look amazing, it gets almost everything with a new, high-res texture as opposed to the random item here or there that Ojo Bueno would change.

I also put up a laser katana mod that I had originally made for myself on the Nexus, have at it if you want it. Bit of shameless self-promotion, but I really think some people on here might enjoy it.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=44068
Alpha you can install NMC over Ojo or Ojo over NMC and have the best of both worlds.
I prefer some of Ojo's textures and now with Nevada Skies it looks insane.
Also the stutter remover has been updated and the 4GB enabler for 64bit systems.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Wat....

WHAT?!

Is this a cruel joke? What kind of pathetic utter piece of fucking garbage is this game? Last month I tried 4-5 separate downloads and tried to get some mods running, no dice. I couldn't blame the game for eating it and die everytime I tried to mod it, it's not like mods are common with this game.

Now I redownloaded all 8gbs from steam for the 6th and thought " I'm gonna give the unmodded game a chance" I play for a couple of hours and things work. " Good, now I can actually play it".

Wake up today, feeling sick as a dog, thought I'd get lost in the NV world, see a 250mb patch which I guess is related to lonesome road...Surprise now none of your saves work! They won't load at all. I'm flabbergasted, I can't even articulate how much this pisses me off.

Regarding the "Beyond the Beef" quest. Can you fulfill every possible condition option and even sacrifice one your partners? Im talking about all in the same run.

It would be cool to achieve that and sacrifice Cass while at the same time make the Vangrafs happy.

Sober

GRA and Courier's stash is up. Think I'll grab GRA when I do my next playthrough, not really looking to replaying FNV just yet.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Corky said:
Wat....

WHAT?!

Is this a cruel joke? What kind of pathetic utter piece of fucking garbage is this game? Last month I tried 4-5 separate downloads and tried to get some mods running, no dice. I couldn't blame the game for eating it and die everytime I tried to mod it, it's not like mods are common with this game.

Now I redownloaded all 8gbs from steam for the 6th and thought " I'm gonna give the unmodded game a chance" I play for a couple of hours and things work. " Good, now I can actually play it".

Wake up today, feeling sick as a dog, thought I'd get lost in the NV world, see a 250mb patch which I guess is related to lonesome road...Surprise now none of your saves work! They won't load at all. I'm flabbergasted, I can't even articulate how much this pisses me off.
Hmm.. i havent had any firsthand experience with the DLCs but im pretty positive you should be able to load you old saves. Otherwise everyone that has the DLC would have made mention of creating new characters each new release. What does it say when you go to load the savegame?

Jerk

Banned
I gotta say, I am very disappointed by the lack of new shotguns in the DLCs.

I would KILL for a City-Killer. Or a Remington 870...

*Drools*

hemtae

Jerk said:
I gotta say, I am very disappointed by the lack of new shotguns in the DLCs.

I would KILL for a City-Killer. Or a Remington 870...

*Drools*

Isn't the Remington 870 the hunting shotgun?

kai3345

Banned
Replaying on PC and discovered an entirely new town that I hadn't seen in my 50+ hour playthrough on the xbox 360 version

<3 New Vegas

Kind of a bummer that I have to restart everything though (dont have an xbox anymore)

But its cool because I get to see the different outcomes to things I did before. Currently level 6 so I've got a long way to go before I get back to where I was on 360.

Top Bottom