• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

butsomuch said:
OT: Tim Cain joins Obsidian as senior programmer

a6c0ca0de97c7f8764f85b76a9f9819ff61411b1.jpg

holy shit
holy shit
holy shit
holy shit

Drazgul

Alpha-Bromega said:
are we sure we aren't talking about the other tim cain, who worked at the other troika studios, who fronted those other A class, classic rpgs?

Even the Mirror Universe Tim Cain must be awesome, so it wouldn't matter.

zkylon

zkylewd
butsomuch said:
OT: Tim Cain joins Obsidian as senior programmer

a6c0ca0de97c7f8764f85b76a9f9819ff61411b1.jpg
I have no words...

Please Beth be awesome and let Obs do FO4. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please.

zkylon said:
I have no words...

Please Beth be awesome and let Obs do FO4. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please.
I'm pretty sure Beth'll be doing FO4. They might ask Obsidian to do another non-numbered entry, though.

Drazgul

Blue Ninja said:
I'm pretty sure Beth'll be doing FO4. They might ask Obsidian to do another non-numbered entry, though.

That's fine. The brand can easily support two dev studios working on it, let Bethesda stick to the East Coast and let Obsidian do its thing in the West (Boneyard/LA here we come!).

Oh and they should let Obsidian do a TES prequel too.

Drazgul said:
That's fine. The brand can easily support two dev studios working on it, let Bethesda stick to the East Coast and let Obsidian do its thing in the West (Boneyard/LA here we come!).

Oh and they should let Obsidian do a TES prequel too.

I'm down to hang in Necropolis again.

watch the dang intro again to Fallout 1, i wanna explore THAT city

Fjordson

I just heard about the Tim Cain hire. So awesome.

I'm sure Beth will do FO 4, but I pray they have Obsidian do another game in the franchise.

This might seem a bit weird, but I'd be happy if they didn't work on Fallout again to a degree. New Vegas is incredible, it's my favourite game of all time, so any Obsidian follow-up would have crazy big shoes to fill. Also, it's worth remembering that NV is the product of two dev cycles, and years of planning and preparation. Much of what makes New Vegas great has been kicking around in one form or another since Van Buren.

Anyway, I'd rather see them make some new and unique IP, which is kind of what they tried with AP. Let's just hope they can hang on to the license this time.

Man I wish Obsidian did a new Vampire the Masquerade game.

Also, I hope Bethesda either makes FO4 along with Obsidian or they let them do a New Vegas like sequel.

Marvie_3

Banned
Any recommendations on the DLC? I got sick of waiting for a GOTY edition so I picked up vanilla NV again and was curious as to which DLCs were better, etc.

Lakitu

st5fu
Tony Redgrave said:
Man I wish Obsidian did a new Vampire the Masquerade game.

Also, I hope Bethesda either makes FO4 along with Obsidian or they let them do a New Vegas like sequel.

Yeah Bethesda will most certainly do Fallout 4... and I do hope they let Obsidian work on the series again. They did a fantastic job with NV.

zkylon

zkylewd
Marvie_3 said:
Any recommendations on the DLC? I got sick of waiting for a GOTY edition so I picked up vanilla NV again and was curious as to which DLCs were better, etc.
Most people will agree Old World Blues is the best of the bunch, but they're all worthwhile and follow a story arc that's best played in order: Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road. So i'd say wait for christmas sales and if there isn't a GOTY edition by then, there's probably gonna be discounts on the DLC, at least on Steam.

Rikyfree

Lakitu said:
Yeah Bethesda will most certainly do Fallout 4... and I do hope they let Obsidian work on the series again. They did a fantastic job with NV.
Yea, except for the engine work. Holy hell. Can't wait to see where FO4 takes place. Especially with the engine that they're using now. /drool.

Reuenthal

Banned
Based on my complaints (don't discuss how valid or not they are), would New Vegas be a better game for me?

Though I will probably not get it until after I am done with Fallout 3 and the November greatness. Mostly asking due to being curious about it. Good RPG games have their time so eventually it would be New Vegas time for me.

Wallach

Reuenthal said:
Based on my complaints (don't discuss how valid or not they are), would New Vegas be a better game for me?

Though I will probably not get it until after I am done with Fallout 3 and the November greatness. Mostly asking due to being curious about it.

Visual variety, not really. More meaningful quest/locations/NPCs and a smaller, more condensed play area yes.

Reuenthal

Banned
Wallach said:
Visual variety, not really. More meaningful quest/locations/NPCs and a smaller, more condensed play area yes.

Good. And in addition to that it also has more quests? At least wiki seems to show that. And they are more meaningful too? Seems an improvement in the areas that interest me. How about enemy variety and dungeon location variety rather than outside environment variety. I mean does it have many tunnels/stations and are they similar looking?

Fjordson

Yeah, what Wallach said. New Vegas feels more densely populated with locations, people, etc. Some people liked the more desolate setting of FO 3, but it sounds like you might enjoy the Mojave more than the Capital wasteland.

hemtae

Reuenthal said:
Good. And in addition to that it also has more quests? At least wiki seems to show that. And they are more meaningful too? Seems an improvement in the areas that interest me. How about enemy variety and location variety rather than outside environment variety. I mean does it have many tunnels and are they similar looking?

Yes, there are more quests. Definitely more meaningful. Definitely more enemy variety. Probably a little more location variety. There's only two tunnels I can think off of the top of my head and they pretty much look the same as the FO3 subway tunnels.

Wallach

Reuenthal said:
Good. And in addition to that it also has more quests? At least wiki seems to show that. And they are more meaningful too? Seems an improvement in the areas that interest me. How about enemy variety and dungeon location variety rather than outside environment variety. I mean does it have many tunnels/stations and are they similar looking?

Offhand I am not sure if the total is higher. It's probably close in the vanilla game. I'd say they are definitely more meaningful though as many of them tie into either the main quest line or a faction system that is not present in FO3.

As for enemy variety, it's definitely better than FO3 in that regard. There's no tunnel system or anything like that so there's a bit less repetition in those kinds of environments, though there are definitely stilll some environments that will feel familiar.

Fjordson

I'm 99 percent sure New Vegas has more quests. I remember the side quest number being way higher than FO 3. Not sure about the exact number of main story quests.

Balphon

Fjordson said:
That'd be awesome. Though doesn't Activision own that license?

Yeah, given that Sierra probably still held the license when it was merged and Arcanum was considered part of the Activision catalog when GOG added it last year.

zkylon

zkylewd
Doing a Legion run right now and man is this game devoid of options for CL characters. I barely got like 3 side quests. I suspected of it, but it's still very disappointing...

zkylon said:
Doing a Legion run right now and man is this game devoid of options for CL characters. I barely got like 3 side quests. I suspected of it, but it's still very disappointing...
I'm should know this but what's a "CL character"?

legacyzero

Banned
Kerub said:
I'm level 19, should I be able to complete Old world blues without problems?
I went in at 17 I think. Should be fine. Some of the robots could be a challenge if you dont have the right skill sets though.

Kerub

Banned
legacyzero said:
I went in at 17 I think. Should be fine. Some of the robots could be a challenge if you dont have the right skill sets though.

Ok, thanks!

I've played for about an hour now and no problems so far.

Salsa

PolarBearsClub said:
So GAF, I'm about to play this. Should I do the hardcore mode? Reading up on it, it seems like it might get annoying after a while.

nah, it actually becomes kinda useless mid-game or earlier, you rarely have to go out of your way to do the hardcore stuff, but its a really good plus and certainly adds to the game if only a bit. Id personally recommend going Hardcore AND getting the Wild Wasteland perk.

klee123

Hmm, after using the Bozar for a bit, the weapon is pretty meh for what it costs. The low dmg rating output pretty much makes it useless for the majority of the end game enemies, unless of course you use AP rounds.

With that price, I'd get the Medicine stick instead.

SalsaShark said:
nah, it actually becomes kinda useless mid-game or earlier, you rarely have to go out of your way to do the hardcore stuff, but its a really good plus and certainly adds to the game if only a bit. Id personally recommend going Hardcore AND getting the Wild Wasteland perk.

Cool. I'll try it out and get the perk as well. Thanks!

Massa

Lakitu said:

They could do it without the name, like From Software did with Dark Souls. Just need a publisher interested in funding it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Massa said:
They could do it without the name, like From Software did with Dark Souls. Just need a publisher interested in funding it.
Not so easy. Hard to make a spiritual sequel when actual sequels are being shelled out by a big company like Bethesda. Wouldn't be so easy, either, to get a publisher to put all the cash needed to make something as big. Their best bet is making FO4's New Vegas, and i hope they get to do it. Another option would be to work on a Wasteland sequel, now that the IP rights are back in the hands of Brian Fargo.

Redrum_82

Blue Ninja said:

I think that after Skyrim Bethesda will start working on next-gen stuff.
It would make sense to let Obsidian work on another Fallout with Skyrim tech in the meantime.

Fjordson

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we see no more Fallout until the beginning of next gen. FO 4 could basically coincide with the next set of consoles the same way Oblivion did for 360, coming out a little while after launch.

Though if the new Skyrim tech is indeed as big of an improvement over Oblivion/FO 3 as it seems, then maybe they put it out towards the end of these consoles to take advantage of using it on systems they know so well. Seems like less likely to me than the beginning of the next gen, but you never know.

Marvie_3

Banned
Decided not to wait for a GOTY version so I downloaded Dead Money to start. Please tell me the rest of the DLCs are better than that. Dead Money was such a tedious piece of shit.

Marvie_3 said:
Decided not to wait for a GOTY version so I downloaded Dead Money to start. Please tell me the rest of the DLCs are better than that. Dead Money was such a tedious piece of shit.

it's regarded as the not best of them

Lothars

Marvie_3 said:
Yes the rest of the DLC's are better than Dead Money, I thought Dead Money was pretty bad.

Top Bottom