• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Chairhome

Finally started playing this game... a couple hours in now, I just got to Nipton
And killed all of the legionaires. Cause... screw them.
After I left Goodsprings, it told me I could revise my character if I wanted to, so I did, then it made me re-do my stats, too? that's normal? I feel like my stats were better before it made me redo them. I guess its moot now cause I'm LV 5 now. Game is pretty fun though. Hoping to blow through this before Batman PC comes out.

Woorloog

Banned
Chairhome said:
After I left Goodsprings, it told me I could revise my character if I wanted to, so I did, then it made me re-do my stats, too? that's normal? I feel like my stats were better before it made me redo them.
It is normal. And all you do is to set your SPECIAL, tag skills and traits again and if you set them as they were, they're the same. There are no random factors involved.
And you didn't have to redo them.

zkylon

zkylewd
Chairhome said:
Finally started playing this game... a couple hours in now, I just got to Nipton
And killed all of the legionaires. Cause... screw them.
After I left Goodsprings, it told me I could revise my character if I wanted to, so I did, then it made me re-do my stats, too? that's normal? I feel like my stats were better before it made me redo them. I guess its moot now cause I'm LV 5 now. Game is pretty fun though. Hoping to blow through this before Batman PC comes out.
The game offers everybody a second chance to review your character before heading into the world. You can change everything: name, gender, stats, skills, traits, everything. You didn't had to, it's just there in case you want to.

And the game's pretty long if you steer away from the main campaign, there's easily over a hundred hours of gametime if you do. Arguably the best section of the game isn't tied to the main campaign at all, so it'd be a shame for you to miss it, and Fallout's always been about the side stuff, so bear that in mind if you're intending to breeze through it. There's a lot of content out there.

Chairhome

zkylon said:
The game offers everybody a second chance to review your character before heading into the world. You can change everything: name, gender, stats, skills, traits, everything. You didn't had to, it's just there in case you want to.

And the game's pretty long if you steer away from the main campaign, there's easily over a hundred hours of gametime if you do. Arguably the best section of the game isn't tied to the main campaign at all, so it'd be a shame for you to miss it, and Fallout's always been about the side stuff, so bear that in mind if you're intending to breeze through it. There's a lot of content out there.
Yeah, I'm starting to get sucked in, now. I'll probably do occasional side missions, are there any that would be a shame to miss (if you can mention them without spoiling, of course!)?
Also, any mods that don't change gameplay that I should install? I saw something about a fixed .dll file, but is that needed?

Lakitu

st5fu
Well, I finished Lonesome Road a week or so ago. I thought it was very well done. Especially the ending. Props to Obsidian they've done such a fantastic job with the game and it's DLC. I've put nearly 200 hours into a single playthrough.

zkylon

zkylewd
Chairhome said:
Yeah, I'm starting to get sucked in, now. I'll probably do occasional side missions, are there any that would be a shame to miss (if you can mention them without spoiling, of course!)?
Also, any mods that don't change gameplay that I should install? I saw something about a fixed .dll file, but is that needed?
I'll try to keep it as unspoilerific as possible, so i'll just list some worthwhile locations with some good quests:

Vault 11
Camp Golf
Freeside
Jacobstown
Red Rock Canyon
Camp McCarran
Black Mountain
Hidden Valley
All the DLC, if you have it, in release order: DM, HH, OWB, LR

You may run into some of these along the main campaign, but you'll probably want to dig a little deeper into them.

Chairhome

zkylon said:
I'll try to keep it as unspoilerific as possible, so i'll just list some worthwhile locations with some good quests:

Vault 11
Camp Golf
Freeside
Jacobstown
Red Rock Canyon
Camp McCarran
Black Mountain
Hidden Valley
All the DLC, if you have it, in release order: DM, HH, OWB, LR

You may run into some of these along the main campaign, but you'll probably want to dig a little deeper into them.
Thanks, I'll keep this stuff in mind as I go along!

DaBuddaDa

I just realized this game is now over a year old and there has been zero word of a "Collector's Edition" or "GOTY Edition" or anything. I am steamin' mad here!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
DaBuddaDa said:
I just realized this game is now over a year old and there has been zero word of a "Collector's Edition" or "GOTY Edition" or anything. I am steamin' mad here!

I've been holding out for a PC super pack, or a Steam sale. -_-

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They just released the last bit of DLC a few weeks ago. They aren't going to cannibalize its sales by announcing the GOTY just yet. It'll come.

hemtae

morningbus said:
They just released the last bit of DLC a few weeks ago. They aren't going to cannibalize its sales by announcing the GOTY just yet. It'll come.

Actually it was almost exactly a month ago.

Fallout: New Vegas GOTY White Mojave Edition

- Comes with collectible Pip-Boy "angel" for your tree
- Features a new radio station playing all your favourite Bing Crosby hits
- New Fiend hideout: Santa's Village

Yeah!

Labadal

jim-jam bongs said:

Yeah!

Pfft, GOTY edition comes with a real Pip-Boy.

zkylon

zkylewd
jim-jam bongs said:

Yeah!
Only on Gamestop!

Slayven

I just started New Vegas, about an hour in and I already like it more then FO3. The atmosphere isn't so oppressive and depressing.

Plasmid

zkylon said:
I just found out there are some of those real life cazadores here in Argieland. A friend took this last summer:

58700345.jpg

Fuck everything about this.

GreekWolf

Think I've decided I'm done with Arkham City. I tinkered around with it for several days, but kept wishing I was playing New Vegas instead.

I've just downloaded Old World Blues, and have been hooked all over again. I honestly believe that I could be perfectly happy just playing the Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchises for the entire generation. There's really nothing else that compares.

DaBuddaDa said:
Can't believe its been a year. It doesn't feel like it.

Slayven said:
I just started New Vegas, about an hour in and I already like it more then FO3. The atmosphere isn't so oppressive and depressing.

But thats what i loved about FO3 and why i think its a better game than NV. There would be times i wouldn't play because i didn't feel like being in a sad mood. Heh.

The music worked so well. Walking around in an abandoned building or house with human bones on the floor, pre war clothes in the closet, and a childs teddy bear laying around while this is playing- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sILAANrfcpM&feature=related

affected my mind state so much i would fall into daydream and imagine what the fuck happened here? Many more tracks evoked similar responses like-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuYwAB9p8Lk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3CPk56BOOM&feature=related

The game is just overall perfect to me. I hope FO4 is like this.

Labadal

Started a new playthrough now that I have all the DLC and some spare time to actually play the game. Going Unarmed, with lots of sneaking and repair. Chose Wild Wasteland this time. Will probably side with the Legion.

My question is: Will I be ok as an unarmed fighter in the DLCs?

zkylon

zkylewd
Labadal said:
Started a new playthrough now that I have all the DLC and some spare time to actually play the game. Going Unarmed, with lots of sneaking and repair. Chose Wild Wasteland this time. Will probably side with the Legion.

Yup, use the appropriate powerfist variants and you'll be fine. Lonesome Road might give you trouble, though.

Kung Fu Grip said:

But thats what i loved about FO3 and why i think its a better game than NV. There would be times i wouldn't play because i didn't feel like being in a sad mood. Heh.

The music worked so well. Walking around in an abandoned building or house with human bones on the floor, pre war clothes in the closet, and a childs teddy bear laying around while this is playing- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sILAANrfcpM&feature=related

affected my mind state so much i would fall into daydream and imagine what the fuck happened here? Many more tracks evoked similar responses like-

New vegas has mark morgan original fallout pieces (the good stuff) and music from FO3 (the forgettable filler)

Marvie_3

Banned
Kung Fu Grip said:

But thats what i loved about FO3 and why i think its a better game than NV
. There would be times i wouldn't play because i didn't feel like being in a sad mood. Heh.

Agreed. I absolutely love the atmosphere in FO3.

fizzelopeguss said:
New vegas has mark morgan original fallout pieces (the good stuff) and music from FO3 (the forgettable filler)
I loved the FO3 music. The whole "bleak beauty"-aspect really spoke to me. Kinda sucked they didn't release a full soundtrack for it.

Inon Zur did some good work for New Vegas, too.

OMG Aero

Could someone fill me in on what karma does in this game?
I just reached level 50 and I'm not sure whether to take the perk that resets karma but gives bonus damage, health (Depending on your karma when you take the perk) and critical hit immunity for it.
I've read that the ending of the main game changes slightly depending on your karma, so I'm wondering whether taking this perk means I'll now get the neutral ending instead of the good ending that I was on track to get.

zkylon

zkylewd
OMG Aero said:
I just reached level 50 and I'm not sure whether to take the perk that resets karma but gives bonus damage, health (Depending on your karma when you take the perk) and critical hit immunity for it.
I've read that the ending of the main game changes slightly depending on your karma, so I'm wondering whether taking this perk means I'll now get the neutral ending instead of the good ending that I was on track to get.
Karma makes slight differences in New Vegas, i think the most significant effect is Cass leaving your party. It's kinda important for the endings, though, for instance, (hypothetical case) you rule New Vegas with an iron fist or in a benevolent manner.

Ponti

OMG Aero said:
Karma won't change the ending you get, except for a different narration. Though the end result is pretty much the same.

OMG Aero

In that case, is it easy to reach the karma point that changes the ending again or do you know if the karma based health increase from the perk increases as I gain more karma?
As it is, the perk only gives me 40 extra health so it doesn't really seem worth it if it's going to mess up my ending. Even if it's just a little narration, I've played the game as the good guy so I'd like to get an ending that reflects that.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Labadal said:

The worst enemies of melee builds are Deathclaws and of course Cazadors if you don't have poison supplies but they're otherwise viable most of the time. Remember that Veronica can teach you a good counter move.

Going through Lonesome Road right now and found an Ammo Box with hundreds of AP .308 rounds. Guess the game designers agree with my love for the Gobi Campaign Sniper Rifle. Also, dat thermic lance.

zkylon

zkylewd
OMG Aero said:
In that case, is it easy to reach the karma point that changes the ending again or do you know if the karma based health increase from the perk increases as I gain more karma?
As it is, the perk only gives me 40 extra health so it doesn't really seem worth it if it's going to mess up my ending. Even if it's just a little narration, I've played the game as the good guy so I'd like to get an ending that reflects that.
Just don't get the perk. You can go kill fiends or ghouls for a while but farming karma is no fun and even if you like it, anything hardly ever respawns in New Vegas, so you'll have to rest every 10 minutes.

_Isaac

So I chose the Wild Wasteland thing in the beginning of the game. I was expecting a lot more stuff to pop up, but I think I've only encountered one thing. This is 33 hours into the game, and I've only seen one thing. Did you guys have better luck with this?

Ken

Drazgul said:
My current look is pretty pimpin':

http://i.imgur.com/6hl40.jpg[MG]

Has that rugged wasteland survival look with a dash of high-tech for good measure. One thing I really dig about item mods (and was very disappointed that FO3 didn't do by default - should've done it like Morrowind with separate armor pieces to begin with) is that you can mix different armor pieces - a mismatched, rag-tag look is a MUCH better fit for a post-apocalyptic adventurer than a single piece of full armor.[/QUOTE]

Are those mods or can I find those in vanilla NV?

_Isaac said:
So I chose the Wild Wasteland thing in the beginning of the game. I was expecting a lot more stuff to pop up, but I think I've only encountered one thing. This is 33 hours into the game, and I've only seen one thing. Did you guys have better luck with this?

Its pretty worthless

_Isaac said:
Maybe you just missed some?
I'm only a couple hours into the game, but my favourite so far was definitely this one.

Sysgen

zkylon said:
Karma makes slight differences in New Vegas, i think the most significant effect is Cass leaving your party. It's kinda important for the endings, though, for instance, (hypothetical case) you rule New Vegas with an iron fist or in a benevolent manner.

You have Karma per faction and it's significant enough that if you don't have enough of it you won't be able to complete quests.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sysgen said:
You have Karma per faction and it's significant enough that if you don't have enough of it you won't be able to complete quests.
That's not karma, that's reputation, which does indeed matter a lot in the game. Karma itself i only know two instances of it getting in the way of quests: low karma for Cass and high karma for Mortimer in the Ultra-Luxe.

Ken said:
Are those mods or can I find those in vanilla NV?
From what i can tell, the scarf, helmet, accesories (gun holster, ammo bags, grenades), Pipboy-lessness and body shape are all mods. The armor itself is in NV vanilla.

_Isaac said:
Probably Bloody Mess.

Also, I don't remember what those two perks do exactly.
Bloody Mess gives you 5% extra damage with all weapons and enemies explode when you kill them, while Gunslinger significantly increases your accuracy in V.A.T.S. while using a "pistol or similar one-handed weapon."

EDIT: Actually I think I'll go with Toughness, which increases your overall damage threshold by 3.

Syph Medwes said:
Bloody Mess gives you 5% extra damage with all weapons and enemies explode when you kill them, while Gunslinger significantly increases your accuracy in V.A.T.S. while using a "pistol or similar one-handed weapon."

EDIT: Actually I think I'll go with Toughness, which increases your overall damage threshold by 3.

I'd take bloody mess. I got tired of the gibs after a while but 5% dmg is nice.

Are you using lever rifles/revolvers? If you are there is a good perk that requires (I think) like 25 guns 25 melee. It's cowboy or something like that. +25% dmg on those weapon types.

It sounds like you are already using pistols, so that will give ya something to work towards.

This should be it:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Cowboy

I can't check it tho, blocked at work :(

Also if you are looking for accuracy, the perk to fire slower/more accurate is really nice. Not much downside to it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Syph Medwes said:

Don't get Bloody Mess for the gore. Takes all of what's satisfying about FO3 & NV's carnages and replaces it with balloon gibs explosions.

zkylon said:
Don't get Bloody Mess for the gore. Takes all of what's satisfying about FO3 & NV's carnages and replaces it with balloon gibs explosions.

That was my problem with it. I liked seeing the heads pop off and things like that.

Top Bottom