• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

If he gets the PC version he will likely be able to get it running and looking better than the PS3 version. That's my point. Considering that they had to start removing objects from the world after the 2nd DLC came out specifically because of problems with how the game ran on the PS3 I'm fairly confident that I'm right on this one.

Sotha Sil

jim-jam bongs is right. If you PC can run it, buy it on PC. Bought the PS3 version for my gf, and as I said, the framerate drops made the game unplayable in some areas. Maybe it was a rare occurrence, but I wouldn't risk it.

i got tired of killing everyone

i just did vault 11 for the first time and holy shit.. this game.

screenshits from my recent playthough SPOILERS

this game fuckin owns

Awww I never knew what Mr. House looked like until I looked at yer awesome pictures. :(

Pretty much what I figured though. Can't wait to complete "No Gods, No Masters" or something to that effect. Yes Man branch this time! (Did The House Always Wins past two times for character lore/consistent decision making)

hemtae

I laughed at the get-up and the picture with Veronica running off to punch stuff leaving a trail of bodies behind her.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Does anyone know why I'm getting stuck on "Preparing to launch New Vegas"? The game won't boot up and I really want to play it. I tried verifying my files, it had to replace one but it didn't fix my problem. I had problems before with the launcher crashing, but I can't even get that far. I'm stuck in boot-up limbo. :(

Edit - I got in after restarting Steam. Yay.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
RIP Boone. Giant Radscorpions are no joke, especially when they come in packs of ten. One thing I like about this game is how I'm still being owned by enemies at a fairly high level. A sense of danger is important in an open world/exploration focused game.

On that note, to complete a quest I need to go to The Fort, but I murdered Caesar and ran out last time I was there, so I'm practically insta-killed when I enter the place now. I'll have to come back at a higher level and deal with them once and for all.

good game

edit - Cass will be a suitable replacement.

8IUOk.jpg

Entering Old World Blues for the first time... Excuse me for a second....

BEST. DLC. EVER. The writing of the first encounter with the Think Tank is sublime. I mean that sincerely. I was laughing out loud- many times. I've only made a few forays into the outlying areas, but the hostile groups outside are great and interesting, and I love the landscape. The intro reminded me of all the best parts of Portal's Aperture Science shtick, just twisted through the Fallout minds. I'm incredibly pleased, but I'm also a huge fan of 1950s science fiction and the cynical tongue-in-cheek dystopia they've perfected.

PENISES ON YOUR FEET. HOW REVOLTING.

I had the same reaction to Old World Blues at first but by the end it was my least favorite of the DLCs (I haven't played Lonesome Road yet). I just got really tired of the mountains of dialogue even if it was excellent. Too much of a good thing. The game-play was really lackluster and the area seemed really small too. I do look forward to replaying it though, maybe I'll flip my opinion because I still remember all those positive impressions.

Oreoleo

OWB was a bit of a mixed bag for me. I thought the opening dialog with the scientists was overly long, and while well-written I ended up skipping half of it cause I just stopped caring and wanted to get on with it. The area was fun to explore, loot was excellent and the enemies were alright. But the amount of fetch quests for Sink AI/upgrades/jukebox songs was mind numbing. By the end I was glad it was over, it just seemed to overstay it's welcome by an hour or two. If they would have dialed that back a bit and let the exploring speak for itself (Similar to Point Lookout. Finding Elijah's hidden stashes in OWB was great) I would be much more fond of it.

It's still the best New Vegas DLC, but not by the wide margin that some people would have you believe.

A fucking
gremlin deathclaw named Stripe
killed me from out seemingly nowhere in a really eerie location of OWB that reminded me of the best scenario in Fallout 3. Also, I absolutely love finally being able to kill
walking skeletons in space armor
. It's like they read and translated a dream of mine. :D

alazz

Yeah about five hours in my Cass
got executed
. I made two copies of my save to try to kill them but it didn't work, I was too weak. Finally, I decided to quit. When I continued my game the only saves I had included a pile of dust on the floor. Was pretty livid.

I regret the whole thing, but it's almost exhilarating having to continue the game with consequence. Oh well.

But how good is Dead Money? The scenario sounds very awesome. Only have OWB but I may pick up another one and it's a toss up of Honest Hearts and Dead Money.

Effect

Does anyone know if the DLC has dropped in price on PSN? Thought about it and if the price has dropped some then there is no point in buying the game again just to get the collection when I already have the PS3 version.

A fucking
gremlin deathclaw named Stripe
killed me from out seemingly nowhere in a really eerie location of OWB that reminded me of the best scenario in Fallout 3. Also, I absolutely love finally being able to kill
walking skeletons in space armor
. It's like they read and translated a dream of mine. :D

Stripe is a Gremlins reference. He only shows up if you have Wild Wasteland enabled, and he spawns from Gabe's kennel when you go to fetch his water bowl.

got executed
. I made two copies of my save to try to kill them but it didn't work, I was too weak. Finally, I decided to quit. When I continued my game the only saves I had included a pile of dust on the floor. Was pretty livid.

I regret the whole thing, but it's almost exhilarating having to continue the game with consequence. Oh well.

Only read this spoiler if you want to know why that quest line is a kick in the pants either way:

Getting Cass murdered seems like a pretty mean thing to do, right? Well it turns out that, while it may be, the Van Graffs are actually dealing arms to The Legion as part of a sting they're running with the NCR. So if you're trying to align yourself with Caesar you may get the idea that handing them Cass is a suitably pro-Legion thing to do, only to end up losing a large amount of faction reputation with them.

Note: I love that the above is the case, by the way.

But how good is Dead Money? The scenario sounds very awesome. Only have OWB but I may pick up another one and it's a toss up of Honest Hearts and Dead Money.

Dead Money is like System Shock 2
Honest Hearts is like Red Dead Redemption
Old World Blues is like STALKER
Lonesome Road is an ending to things.

zkylon

zkylewd
got executed

It's the strongest of the DLC, story wise, and it's got a semi-survival horror aspect to it. Lots of scavenging for ammo and stimpaks and watching your step. It's my favorite (it stole OWB's crown recently) but may not be for everybody. Like Jim-Jam said, it reminded me of SS2.

Oh, about Cass,
and I don't like cheating my characters into surviving, but I love her and I just had to reload after that...

Lothars

Would you guys suggest I buy the Fallout 3 GOTY edition or wait until the Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition has a price drop? Thanks.
Buy Fallout 3GOTY than in 6 months or so when New Vegas has dropped in price pick that up, I really like Fallout 3 and would recommend to play it.

Lothars

Only read this spoiler if you want to know why that quest line is a kick in the pants either way:

Getting Cass murdered seems like a pretty mean thing to do, right? Well it turns out that, while it may be, the Van Graffs are actually dealing arms to The Legion as part of a sting they're running with the NCR. So if you're trying to align yourself with Caesar you may get the idea that handing them Cass is a suitably pro-Legion thing to do, only to end up losing a large amount of faction reputation with them.

Note: I love that the above is the case, by the way.
Wow, That boggles my mind
I went through that quest line and killed them all to save Cass but never realized that.

Would you guys suggest I buy the Fallout 3 GOTY edition or wait until the Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition has a price drop? Thanks.

I thought both games were amazing and I'd recommend getting both. So as Lothars said above me, I'd buy and play FO3 now, and then you can pick up New Vegas during the summer sale when there's a price drop.

alazz

I love the quests in this game. The writing, twists, kicker, and branching paths are astonishing and really draw me in. (Didn't read the spoiler Jim Jam.)

I just finished Fly Me To The Moon. I was reading the wiki at the end of it to see where I could get that mechanism and took a cursory glance at the quest steps. I realized I didn't do or even realize I could do half of the steps it detailed, on top of which, the alternative paths were logical and seemingly challenging in retrospect. That's awesome. Why aren't more games like this.

Interesting analogies. They actually make it harder to decide between the two now, though maybe that means I'll have to pick up both now. ;) But can they be played in any order?

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't like Fallout 3 at all, but I think New Vegas' brilliant, so my opinion's that of one of those people. If you're not particularly attached to the early games in the franchise, you should be set getting Fallout 3. If not, New Vegas might do it for you, but not 100% guaranteed.

I love the quests in this game. The writing, twists, kicker, and branching paths are astonishing and really draw me in. (Didn't read the spoiler Jim Jam.)

I just finished Fly Me To The Moon. I was reading the wiki at the end of it to see where I could get that mechanism and took a cursory glance at the quest steps. I realized I didn't do or even realize I could do half of the steps it detailed, on top of which, the alternative paths were logical and seemingly challenging in retrospect. That's awesome. Why aren't more games like this.

Interesting analogies. They actually make it harder to decide between the two now, though maybe that means I'll have to pick up both now. ;) But can they be played in any order?
Yes, but you should play them in the release order: Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues (too late for that, I guess :p) and Lonesome Road. Honest DM has a lot of hooks with OWB and LR so if you play those in order you'll enjoy them the most.

alazz

Thanks, okay I'll try to go with chronological order then. Haven't actually started Old World Blues yet. It was more or less an impulse buy without any prior knowledge of the DLC.

I don't like Fallout 3 at all, but I think New Vegas' brilliant, so my opinion's that of one of those people. If you're not particularly attached to the early games in the franchise, you should be set getting Fallout 3. If not, New Vegas might do it for you, but not 100% guaranteed.
Yeah, this is how I feel too.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks, okay I'll try to go with chronological order then. Haven't actually started Old World Blues yet. It was more or less an impulse buy without any prior knowledge of the DLC.
They'll be on sale on Steam before you know it. They were at 2.50$ and 5$ a couple times already.

New Vegas is a classic Fallout game. I love New Vegas' DLC because it exaggerates a lot of themes of Fallout and in that way it managed to constantly surprise and amaze me. The DLC in general left me a very Torment-like feeling, which isn't strange at all, since that Chris Avellone directed both. And like Torment, I wish I could play it for the first time all over again :)

By the way, for Dead Money, be sure to install this mod after you get the Domino's holodisc: . The file's name is a spoiler, but it basically fixes the holodisc's content so that it makes sense. Just don't spoil it for yourself by clicking on that link :p

I found a bug in the Wang Dang Atomic Tango quest.- http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Wang_Dang_Atomic_Tango

After you recruit the sex robot and go back to the Atomic Wrangler, if you talk to him you can ask for his services- which cost 10 caps- but if you decline it, you'll receive 10 caps. You can keep on doing this for an unlimited time.

At first i thought i already paid. But i don't remember the game ever taking money before you accept anything. So i tried again and saw that my cap amount went up.

PS3 version.

I don't like the way this game fucks you over if you do certain quest. I was trying to finish up For the Republic part2 and i can't because-
You cannot work for both Yes Man and Colonel Moore for this quest. If you get "You'll Know When It Happens" from Yes Man BEFORE you get it from Colonel Moore, then you will be forced to play the rest of the game as a Wild Card rather than working for the NCR. In this case, Colonel Moore will ask you to protect President Kimball, but Ranger Grant will not respond to any attempts to talk, therefore, The quest cannot be completed. An easy way to avoid this is to ignore Yes Man completely, therefore preventing him from giving you the quest before you actually want it.

A little note or warning from the game would of been nice.

Finished Old World Blues.... And made up my mind, about my mind.

cookiemonsterhappy.gif

What fantastic writing. From the main scientist robots to all of the test sites and labs, the scenario was just so well done. The Sink's companions were a real highlight though, the creativity and surprises were so rewarding. Sure, it was fetch quests- with absolute worth and reward! The perks you receive from the get-go were very welcome too. I actually left
my worthless heart and spine behind.

I'm still getting used to Jsawyer's mod and it is unforgivingly hard. Teleportaled back to the Mojave and attempted to use some of my new toys. Still not capable of raids wiping out radscorpion dens, even at level 22. :D I love it!

A little note or warning from the game would of been nice.
I mean, once you're advancing with factions' quests, you've kind of made your place, don't you think?

I mean, once you're advancing with factions' quests, you've kind of made your place, don't you think?
Yes your right. I knew what side i wanted to choose. I just didn't know it would effect the game where you can't complete certain quest. If i knew, i would of saved right before each quest that defeats another.

Basically, i want to see all possible endings. I just loaded a save and continued with the NCR quest without realising i already completed many other faction quest making finishing others impossible.

OWB is that good huh? People say it's feels like fallout 3. Which i like since i actually prefer that style. Going to wait until the ultimate edition is $30 before i buy.

Finished Old World Blues.... And made up my mind, about my mind.

You made the right choice, in general I reckon the perks for not having your vital organs are vastly superior to the alternative. The brainless perk is probably the weakest of the bunch if you have the Logan's Loophole trait since it's just the 50% crit reduction from robots which sounds more useful than it ends up being.

Actually that's one part of NV where I agree that they could have handled the faction system a lot better. It just feels like a lazy way to lock the player to one particular end-game state without things getting too complex. I understand the need for it, but I'd love to be able to play double agent and convince the NCR I'm their ally while working for The Legion, for example.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yes your right. I knew what side i wanted to choose. I just didn't know it would effect the game where you can't complete certain quest. If i knew, i would of saved right before each quest that defeats another.

Basically, i want to see all possible endings. I just loaded a save and continued with the NCR quest without realising i already completed many other faction quest making finishing others impossible.

OWB is that good huh? People say it's feels like fallout 3. Which i like since i actually prefer that style. Going to wait until the ultimate edition is $30 before i buy.
Like FO3? Nah, I wouldn't say that at all. Most the charm from OWB comes from witty dialogue, and those were pretty much MIA in FO3.

You made the right choice, in general I reckon the perks for not having your vital organs are vastly superior to the alternative. The brainless perk is probably the weakest of the bunch if you have the Logan's Loophole trait since it's just the 50% crit reduction from robots which sounds more useful than it ends up being.

Actually that's one part of NV where I agree that they could have handled the faction system a lot better. It just feels like a lazy way to lock the player to one particular end-game state without things getting too complex. I understand the need for it, but I'd love to be able to play double agent and convince the NCR I'm their ally while working for The Legion, for example.
I kept my brain for sentimental reasons. After that conversation I just had to keep him.

You're going with Ada after having Cate Archer as your avatar? You've sunken low, man...

I kept my brain for sentimental reasons. After that conversation I just had to keep him.

"Uhh, why are you such a dick?"

That is one of my favourite conversations in the whole of Fallout.

You're going with Ada after having Cate Archer as your avatar? You've sunken low, man...

:lol

I'm doing a wot-I-am-playing thing with my avatar, Alan Wake is downloading now so I'm sure this one will be short-lived ;)

Lancehead

I'm going to roll a new character, this time with Sawyer's mod. How hard is Very Hard difficulty setting? Any general tips? I'd rather avoid VATS if possible.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm going to roll a new character, this time with Sawyer's mod. How hard is Very Hard difficulty setting? Any general tips? I'd rather avoid VATS if possible.
It's not THAT hard, but the beginning can get kind of rough and even with high level gear some enemies can one hit you (like Deathclaws and Legendary monsters). I think it's a lot of fun and totally worth it, but you should make use of the wide range of options as much as possible: dialogue up quests, use sneaking, silenced weapons and headshots to one hit kill your way out of firefights, chems/booze/etc. to boost your stats, you can raise your unarmed and melee skills since both are pretty OP and cheap to use (though risky and useless against a lot of monsters), get Boone and ED-E fast, etc. Raiders, geckos, ants and such aren't such a big deal, but big baddies like Cazadores and Deathclaws will make short work of you.

And, unfortunately, you're gonna be doing a lot of quick loading.

You can change difficulties anytime, so just give it a shot and tone it down a notch if it gets frustrating.

Remember you can beat this game without killing a soul, so you could theoretically just have 10 AG, 10 IN, 10 CH and sneak, hack (and get the most out of every level by getting more skill points) and speech the game without even noticing it was Very Hard mode. That, exactly, is gonna be my next run once I get this PC fixed.

Lancehead

Remember you can beat this game without killing a soul, so you could theoretically just have 10 AG, 10 IN, 10 CH and sneak, hack (and get the most out of every level by getting more skill points) and speech the game without even noticing it was Very Hard mode. That, exactly, is gonna be my next run once I get this PC fixed.

That sounds a lot of fun.

I'd go sneaky sniper but that was my first playthrough build. I'm tempted to go that route again (I love the weapon,
Ratslayer
). Probably go energy weapons instead of guns. I want to do a lot of crafting this time, I practically neglected it the last time.

zkylon

zkylewd
That sounds a lot of fun.

I'd go sneaky sniper but that was my first playthrough build. I'm tempted to go that route again (I love the weapon,
Ratslayer
). Probably go energy weapons instead of guns. I want to do a lot of crafting this time, I practically neglected it the last time.
Make sure to invest in ST if you're going for EWs. Microfusion cells are heavy as hell...

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

The only thing that annoyed me about hard/very hard is A)how every "late-game" enemy can one-shot you, and how much they seem to become health sponges because you're doing 50% damage, despite the weapons value being unchanged in the Pipboy (I think, can't remember for sure). Avoiding VATS is gonna suck without sticking to guns, as trying to juke around a Deathclaw or cazadores with unarmed or melee is not a good idea.

Iirc, my Hard/Very hard run was just maxing explosives, raiding the Powder gangers for everything they had, then rushing to get Annabelle/Esther once I DL'd the GRA mod.

As was mentioned earlier, Boone + ED-E is a godsend for their long-range sniping.

Edit: About to finally bite the bullet and do my hardcore run. The whole thing just seemed like micro-management to me, which is why it didn't really strike me as something I'd enjoy in the first place, but I'll prob just turn it down to easy and roll with it.

Just finished touring the Fort on my current playthrough, and it's kind of crazy how Ceasar's Legion seems so inherently evil through their actions in places like Nipton, and then there's this whole miss-able dialogue with Ceasar in which he explains how the NCR will basically self-destruct using examples you can see in-game like the caravan corruption, not being able to protect their borders, etc..., and he's just making his own path/army/Ideology a reality through his own force of will.

Lancehead

Edit: About to finally bite the bullet and do my hardcore run. The whole thing just seemed like micro-management to me, which is why it didn't really strike me as something I'd enjoy in the first place, but I'll prob just turn it down to easy and roll with it.

Hardcore mode is not really hardcore at all. It just seems like micro management but all you're really doing is take stuff when you hit the first stage. And there's plenty of stuff to go around; food, drink, rad-x and radaway.

Hardcore mode should've been default, and a proper hardcore mode should've included some of the changes from Sawyer's mod.

And, yeah, doing melee or unarmed on Very Hard sounds like suicide.

Hambone

I'm about 20 hours into my Sawyer Mod (v3), Hardcore rules, normal difficulty run. My courier's SPECIAL are all 5s, except Luck is at 10. TAG skills are Guns, Repair, and Survival. Only trait I took was Wild Wasteland. I look at my Courier as an average joe who happens to be extremely lucky. I mean, he survived being shot to the head by a hipster for christ sake!

I'm having blast now that I've adapted to Sawyer's changes, but in the beginning I was questioning if I was going to be able to handle the lowering of carry weight (at 5 Strength it's 100), and the accelerated hunger and drinking. I had to learn to mange what's worth taking at the moment, and making notes if I needed to schlep back and forth to a location to gather the phat lewts within.

It's amazing how fast weight can add up when you have to account for ammo, water, food, and medical supplies. You have to carry all of that, so no one item can be carried in bulk. I have a standard load-out now of ammo, a couple of bottles of water (tend to drink from water from irradiated water sources to keep weight limit down), a few stims, one doctor bag, and one stealthboy. I try to leave ample room to be able to haul all the crap I scavenge back to my pad for storage, sorting, and selling.

The Survival skill has paid off with the ability to create higher quality, lower weight foods like the Desert Salad (FOD -192, H20 -96, HP +16[15s], 3 of them weigh .60), and Gecko reinforced light armor, when combined with Light Armor perk, should help cut my weight down allowing me to carry heavier boomsticks (I'm looking at you fully moded anti-material rifle) without losing storage space.

I like bringing Boone along with me on adventures, because companions are a godsend as pack mules, but that dude has some serious anger management issues and a twitchy trigger finger. One time, we were making our way back from a NCR radio camp deep in Cazadore\Deathclaw territory. Now, the Cazadores we could handle as long is we got the drop on them, but Deathclaws are still out of our league. I'm trying to carve a path of least resistance, when I hear the crack of a rifle going off. I turn around and see Boone shooting at a Deathclaw nowhere near us. Seriously, Boone, WTF?! As the beast lumbered toward us I tried to cripple it's legs, but it's too late. I hadn't saved in 35 minutes.

Top Bottom