• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Labadal

I've never killed
Mr. House.
. It just feels like a real asshole move given how nice he is to the player.

Also: to kill
Mr. House, don't you just open the chamber in the main room? I thought that was always available?

With enough science, it is always an option.

Uh are achievements disabled if you bring up the console? My last play session I noticed that I didn't have the achievements box in the steam community overlay.

Necrovex

Just completed "Dead Money," I was not a huge fan of this particular DLC. I found some bits of greatness in it, but I was annoyed by a lot of the content presented. I'm hoping the other three DLCs are not irritating as DM was.

First time posting in here, and I gotta say I find New Vegas vastly superior to Fallout 3. I am in love with this game, but I'm fearing I may burn out on this title soon. My aim is to complete the game and its DLCs before that happens!

Raptomex

Just completed "Dead Money," I was not a huge fan of this particular DLC. I found some bits of greatness in it, but I was annoyed by a lot of the content presented. I'm hoping the other three DLCs are not irritating as DM was.

First time posting in here, and I gotta say I find New Vegas vastly superior to Fallout 3. I am in love with this game, but I'm fearing I may burn out on this title soon. My aim is to complete the game and its DLCs before that happens!
I don't know about vastly but I like it better than FO3 myself for a few reasons. I understand many people like the post-apocalyptic feel of FO3 but I like the glitz and glamour and desert of New Vegas, just a personal preference. I think the gameplay (the shooting in particular) is much better. Also, FO3 constantly freezes on me, NV has it's share of problems but at least it doesn't literally stop me from playing. Although I still do enjoy FO3.

Montresor

I'm in vault 11. Wow. I just love this game (and Fallout 3).

I'm reading the candidates' platforms on a computer very early on in Vault 11 and it's unnerving that they're campaigning to _not_ get voted in. I can't wait to find out what's going on here.

moojito

I'm in vault 11. Wow. I just love this game (and Fallout 3).

I'm reading the candidates' platforms on a computer very early on in Vault 11 and it's unnerving that they're campaigning to _not_ get voted in. I can't wait to find out what's going on here.

Ha, nice. It's like reading about someone coming up to.. that bit.. of... that book.

Montresor

Ha, nice. It's like reading about someone coming up to.. that bit.. of... that book.

Hey, it's pretty obvious that what I spoiler tagged is related to Vault 11. Your post is pretty cryptic to me but whatever, if you're trying to say I made one of those "I can't believe <spoiler>President Obama just died</spoiler>" type of spoiler tags then no, I didn't.

moojito

Hey, it's pretty obvious that what I spoiler tagged is related to Vault 11. Your post is pretty cryptic to me but whatever, if you're trying to say I made one of those "I can't believe <spoiler>President Obama just died</spoiler>" type of spoiler tags then no, I didn't.

No, not at all. My post was probably a bit vague, now that I read it back. There's this book I read once with a massive shocking event in it and sometimes I'll speak to people reading the book who have no idea what's coming up. It was just something like that I meant. Maybe vault 11 isn't quite as profound as that, but it's still a cool experience. Hope you're still enjoying it!

So I have an issue with the game. I went down the Wild Card track. At one point
I had to go talk to various factions and report back to Yes Man to tell him who I wanted left alone. I was cool with everyone except for the Boomers and the Brotherhood of Steel who I thought were total dicks. But, in the conversation tree I had to tell Yes Man to ignore those two to advance in the quest.

What's up with that? What was the point of even giving me the illusion of choice? I read somewhere that you could go back and change it later, but I never saw the option.

It's really bugged me since it meant that I couldn't really shape the story the way I wanted to. I wanted my Securitrons to wipe those guys off the map. ;_;

Labadal

So I have an issue with the game. I went down the Wild Card track. At one point
I had to go talk to various factions and report back to Yes Man to tell him who I wanted left alone. I was cool with everyone except for the Boomers and the Brotherhood of Steel who I thought were total dicks. But, in the conversation tree I had to tell Yes Man to ignore those two to advance in the quest.

What's up with that? What was the point of even giving me the illusion of choice? I read somewhere that you could go back and change it later, but I never saw the option.

It's really bugged me since it meant that I couldn't really shape the story the way I wanted to. I wanted my Securitrons to wipe those guys off the map. ;_;

Strange, that's an optional part of the quest.
I told Yes Man to leave the Omertas alone, but he's going to wipe out the rest of the factions. I took care of the Brotherhood of Steel on my own. Not getting into details, since I don't want to spoil how I did it.

Montresor

No, not at all. My post was probably a bit vague, now that I read it back. There's this book I read once with a massive shocking event in it and sometimes I'll speak to people reading the book who have no idea what's coming up. It was just something like that I meant. Maybe vault 11 isn't quite as profound as that, but it's still a cool experience. Hope you're still enjoying it!

Bah sorry for the snarky response then.

I did finish vault 11 and really loved it. It reminded me of a short story about a town w/ a lottery. Can't remember its title.

willooi

Fallout: New Vegas cut content revealed by a modder. Absolutely amazing ambition from Obsidian - sadly they didn't have the time to implement all this stuff. Hopefully some day JE Sawyer and Moburma can get together to do a true 'Director's Cut' of the game. In the meantime, though, PC users can get to enjoy this restored stuff by installing the relevant mods: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/users/3010984#

Just a sample of the sheer amount of stuff left out:

- Rotface was originally intended to have an entire unmarked quest dedicated to him where the player could influence what happened to him by way of dialogue. Once he began to make money from supplying tips to the player, he would bling up, and depending on what was said to him, either attract too much attention from local thugs and be killed and robbed, get too big for his boots and attempt to rob the player at gunpoint, decide to leave Freeside, or join the followers of the apocalypse. It seems they just plain ran out of time to implement this, as his script is only half finished despite all dialogue being present.

Originally there was a quest with the internal name VMS48 that would let the player undergo the Khan initiation ritual and presumably become a Great Khan.

Once the [Eldorado] substation was turned on, a further quest stage was intended to kick in where the player would follow a Securitron to a nearby mountain ridge and watch the lights turn on at the Lucky 38. It's not clear why this sequence was cut (possibly due to lack of time), as full dialogue was recorded.

[Prospector NPCs] were intended to be found all over the Wasteland doing all kinds of autonomous stuff. Essentially the intention was for them to behave like other player characters would in an MMORPG, wandering the landscape, getting into fights with enemies, and raiding dungeons for loot. They actually do carry out most of this behaviour, but they're also fairly rare in the actual game, and mostly just wander around a few uninteresting locations. Their code was started by Jorge "Oscuro" Saldano and continues on from some of his sterling work on OOO for Oblivion.

And most importantly of all, and a question that's been bugging me for years:
The "Doggie Treat" item. This is a completely useless item. However, there is also a script called SleepytimeDogTreatBaseEffectScript that was presumably created for this item, but is unused. It casts a fatigue effect on any creatures who eat it, knocking them out. It was therefore intended at one stage for the player to be able to give/leave this for dogs to make them unconscious and sneak past. It's not even clear if it's possible for dogs to eat food in the final game.

AndyD

aka andydumi
[Prospector NPCs] were intended to be found all over the Wasteland doing all kinds of autonomous stuff. Essentially the intention was for them to behave like other player characters would in an MMORPG, wandering the landscape, getting into fights with enemies, and raiding dungeons for loot. They actually do carry out most of this behaviour, but they're also fairly rare in the actual game, and mostly just wander around a few uninteresting locations. Their code was started by Jorge "Oscuro" Saldano and continues on from some of his sterling work on OOO for Oblivion.

This makes it sound more like Stalker. Which is a great thing.

I have yet to play NV but I feel like I need to start it soon, particularly with this kind of extensive mod support.

Sullichin

In old world blues now and it's awesome, the bit at the beginning was really funny. Love the change of environment and it's much more action packed than the mojave.

But it's freaking tough. I'm level 23 and the regular game was feeling really easy except for a few big battles I got myself into (killing all of Ceaser's camp), now I'm popping a few stimpaks every battle.

Fjordson

Cool stuff.

This picture reminds me of how deep Obsidian researches stuff. They absolutely nailed the look and feel of old Vegas and other towns like Bonnie Springs, Primm, and Nipton.
You couldn't be more right. Damn, it's almost eerie.

I can't wait to replay this on PC soon.

Is this the song?

Pretty great piece of music. To be honest, I'm not 100 percent sure who it's by, though my guess would be Inon Zur.

It's the end credits music, too. And yup, by Inon Zur.

Yep, that's it! Thanks It's really wonderful has an almost Fragile era NIN vibe to it at parts.

So happy to be playing the game again. Man I love the weapon mods with all the different types of ammo now in the game.

54-46!

Okay, so I've run in to a bug at "Boulder City Showdown", I rescue the hostages and kill all the Khans but then the quest is completed and I can't talk to Monroe after, what do?

I've got a save prior to entering the area and I've tried replaying that section three times now.

Okay, so I've run in to a bug at "Boulder City Showdown", I rescue the hostages and kill all the Khans but then the quest is completed and I can't talk to Monroe after, what do?

I've got a save prior to entering the area and I've tried replaying that section three times now.

Wish I could help, but look at the Fallout Wikia page for the quest. It could be bugged. I had the same thing happened to me with a Powder Gang quest. NV is a ton of fun, but Obsidian using Bethesda tech was a formula for an orgy of bugs.

Their are ENB mods for the game?

I haven't, but then again I mean how much can you pretty up a nuclear wasteland?

I'll take a screen shot later and upload it. It may not be for everyone, but I love how it changes the look and feel of the game.

I started Dead Money earlier this week. It's my first DLC. I take it that's the one everybody hates right?

Weirdly (by popular opinion) it's tied as my favourite DLC along with Honest Hearts. Common complaints are about its difficulty and aesthetic. Old World Blues is my least favourite (the scientists annoy me).

This reminds me, I still have yet to play more than 2 minutes of Lonesome Road.

Montresor

I liked Dead Money. It reminded me so much of Bioshock.

I think the only weak DLC was Honest Hearts and thankfully I played that first. The story of Graham and Daniel and the tribes was interesting but the landscape was boring.

Still, one thing that completely shocked me (in a good way) was the incredible beginning to Honest Hearts.
The leader of the caravan goes on a long spiel about a lengthy and difficult journey and then as soon as it starts BAM they all get assassinated right before my eyes

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Almost done getting all the achievements for New Vegas. Only 2 remain - 30 wins at Caravan (should be easy if I bother to learn how the game works) and the 3 GRA *** challenges. I might be boned and have to start -another- new game but I'm level 40 and hopefully are able to kill enough named legionnaires.

Labadal

9DB30DA2F467466A12748E41C11768C48ED9C96E

No kills/hardcore playthrough all done. I decided to just rush through it at the end, because I have so many games in my backlog. People have said it's not worth playing and that it's just a gimmicky thing, but I really enjoyed it and wish it was an option in more rpgs. I didn't fire a single bullet during my entire playthrough and still managed to survive easily in the wasteland. Talking your way through conversations also means that most factions will have nothing against you. I wasn't hated by anyone until the end of the game. Some quests can be completed by simply run in and fetcg whatever you need for the questgiver, but it didn't work wel on hardcore, or it worked, but was fairly annoying, so I just did the story heavy quests this time.

This was playthrough 2 completed. The next time, I'll try to complete as much as possible in a single run and find every location.

I've been playing New Vegas for a few days now, and I'm enjoying it for the pure "more Fallout" part of the experience. I do have a criticism though, something that was very crucial to my FO3 experience. The radio productions and song selection in New Vegas is not anywhere near FO3's quality. There's banter, but it repeats way too much, and there are fewer songs in the soundtrack.

Fallout 3's soundtrack helped make that game for me, and New Vegas just isn't on the same level.

hemtae

No kills/hardcore playthrough all done. I decided to just rush through it at the end, because I have so many games in my backlog. People have said it's not worth playing and that it's just a gimmicky thing, but I really enjoyed it and wish it was an option in more rpgs. I didn't fire a single bullet during my entire playthrough and still managed to survive easily in the wasteland. Talking your way through conversations also means that most factions will have nothing against you. I wasn't hated by anyone until the end of the game. Some quests can be completed by simply run in and fetcg whatever you need for the questgiver, but it didn't work wel on hardcore, or it worked, but was fairly annoying, so I just did the story heavy quests this time.

This was playthrough 2 completed. The next time, I'll try to complete as much as possible in a single run and find every location.

I do like the whole pacifist evil guy thing you have going on.

Lancehead

I've been playing New Vegas for a few days now, and I'm enjoying it for the pure "more Fallout" part of the experience. I do have a criticism though, something that was very crucial to my FO3 experience. The radio productions and song selection in New Vegas is not anywhere near FO3's quality. There's banter, but it repeats way too much, and there are fewer songs in the soundtrack.

Fallout 3's soundtrack helped make that game for me, and New Vegas just isn't on the same level.

Pretty sure fewer songs is due to budget restraints.

I remember someone asking Sawyer why there aren't any Elvis songs when the game has a whole faction as a tribute to him. Sawyer's response was those songs would be extremely costly, obviously, and wasn't a priority because of that.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

Nice!

There are more songs and more banters (see edit about banters) in New Vegas.

Fallout 3
"I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" by The Ink Spots
"Anything Goes" by Cole Porter with Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks
"A Wonderful Guy" by Tex Beneke
"Boogie Man" by Sid Phillips
"Butcher Pete (Part 1)" by Roy Brown
"Crazy He Calls Me" performed by Billie Holiday
"Civilization", also called "Bongo Bongo Bongo", performed by Danny Kaye with The Andrews Sisters
"Easy Living" performed by Billie Holiday
"Fox Boogie" composed by Gerhard Trede
"Happy Times" performed by Bob Crosby
"I'm Tickled Pink" composed by Jack Shaindlin
"Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall" performed by Ella Fitzgerald with The Ink Spots
"Jazzy Interlude" composed by Billy Munn
"Jolly Days" composed by Gerhard Trede
"Let's Go Sunning" composed by Jack Shaindlin
"Maybe" by The Ink Spots
"Mighty, Mighty Man" by Roy Brown
"Rhythm For You" by Eddy Christiani and Frans Poptie
"Swing Doors" composed by Allan Gray
"Way Back Home" performed by Bob Crosby & The Bob Cats

Instrumentals (Agathas Station)

"Gigue" from Bach's Partita No. 3 (BWV 1006)
"Preludio" from Bach's Partita No. 3 (BWV 1006)
"Grave" from Bach's Sonata No. 2 (BWV 1003) (Composed Johann Sebastian Bach.)
The exposition sections of the first two movements ("Allegro ma non troppo" and "Adagio ma non troppo", respectively) from Dvorak's Violin Concerto in A minor, Op. 53 (B108)
"Zigeunerweisen" (Gypsy Songs/Airs) by Sarasate, Op. 20

New Vegas
"Ain't That a Kick in the Head?"
"Blue Moon"
"Big Iron"
"Going Under"
"Heartaches by the Number"
"I'm Moving Out"
"I'm So Blue"
"In the Shadow of the Valley"
"Its a Sin"
"It's a Sin to Tell a Lie"
"Jingle, Jangle, Jingle"
"Johnny Guitar"
"Lets Ride into the Sunset Together"
"Lonestar"
"Love Me as Though There Were No Tomorrow"
"Mad About the Boy"
"Sit and Dream"
"Something's Gotta Give"
"Stars on the Midnight Range"
"Where Have You Been All My Life?"
"Why Don't You Do Right?"

Instrumentals

"American Swing"
"Hallo Mister X"
"Happy Time"
"Lazy Day Blues"
"Manhattan"
"Roundhouse Rock"
"Slow Bounce"
"Strahlende Trompete"
"Von Spanien Nach Südamerika"

edit: The banters.. im pretty sure i had a post from a long time ago that went into counting the banters but atm i cannot find it. i dont have the time right now to go through and count them all so i may be wrong.

Another thing i love about New Vegas and Obsidians work is that the music and the world is more cohesive. What i mean is.. in Fallout 3 Bethesda had a good idea of introducing the radio stations and they added appropriate music. What Obsidian did was integrate the music with the game world. Almost all the quests are named after song titles.

Aint that a Kick in the Head
Back in the Saddle
By a Campfire on the Trail
They Went That-a-way
Ring-a-Ding-Ding
Aba Daba Honeymoon
Ant (Aint) Misbehavin
Anywhere i Wander
Back in Your Own Backyard
Bye Bye Love
Can You Find It In Your Heart
Climb Ev'ry Mountain

.. and so on and so forth. Its just another example of Obsidian putting more thought into the design than Bethesda.

There used to be a huge mod called More Where That Came From Mr New Vegas Secret Stash that had all these quest songs implemented but i think its been taken down due to copyright issues.

Track Pack 1 (Tracks 1-20)

1 - Back in the Saddle
2 - They Went That-a-Way
3 - Ring-a-Ding-Ding
4 - Ace in the Hole
5 - You'll Know it When it Happens
6 - All or Nothing
7 - Arizona Killer
8 - Ant Misbehavin'
9 - Eyesight to the Blind
10 - Cold, Cold Heart
11 - ED-E My Love
12 - Come Fly With Me
13 - By a Campfire on the Trail (tutorial quest)
14 - Volare!
15 - Nothin' But a Hound Dog
16 - Aba Daba Honeymoon
17 - Bye Bye Love
18 - Back in Your Own Backyard
19 - No, Not Much
20 - Guess Who I Saw Today

Track Pack 2 (Tracks 21-40)

21. You Can Depend on Me
22. Beyond the Beef
23. Anywhere I Wander
24. Left My Heart
25. That Lucky Old Sun
26. One for My Baby
27. That Old Black Magic
28. Bitter Springs Infirmary Blues
29. I Forgot to Remember
30. Finger of Suspicion
31. Someone to Watch Over Me
32. When the Moon Comes Over the Tower
33. Why Can't We Be Friends?
34. I Put a Spell on You
35. I Hear You Knocking
36. Oh My Papa!
37. Tend to Your Business
38. Hard Luck Blues
39. Cry Me a River
40. I Don't Hurt Anymore

Track Pack 3

41. Wheel of Fortune
42. Wang Dang Atomic Tango
43. G.I. Blues
44. I Fought the Law
45. There Stands the Grass
46. How Little We Know
47. I Could Make You Care
48. Return to Sender
49. Can You Find it in your Heart
50. Auld Lang Syne
51. Crazy, Crazy, Crazy
52. Climb Ev'ry Mountain
53. Don't Make a Beggar of Me
54. We Will All Go Together When We Go
55. Unfriendly Persuasion
56. Still in the Dark
57. My Kind of Town

Fjordson

I thought both soundtracks were pretty much perfect. Fantastic move by Bethesda to bring that to the series.

I loved how some of the New Vegas soundtrack had sort of a "western" tinge to it, for lack of a better term. Stuff like Big Iron or Jingle, Jangle, Jingle. It fit the setting perfectly.

Top Bottom