• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jax said:
If you told me I was playing more FO3 via DLC, I would have believed it.

This would be the hugest, most comprehensive DLC ever. I don't think you can really argue against the fact that it's a full, content packed game. It has a number of improvements over three, like the hardcore mode and a ton of little things, plus it's an entire new map to explore. It's the wastelands, but it has a unique theme.

What more did you expect?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
duckroll said:
Wow. So they really did push out a patch before I even get to play the game! :lol

How many patches did Alpha Protocol get when you were playing?

Zeliard

Snuggler said:
This would be the hugest, most comprehensive DLC ever. I don't think you can really argue against the fact that it's a full, content packed game. It has a number of improvements over three, like the hardcore mode and a ton of little things, plus it's an entire new map to explore. It's the wastelands, but it has a unique theme.

He would have called Fallout 2 an expansion pack to Fallout 1 because the engine and core gameplay are identical. Simpletons are simple.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The game definitely plays differently for me than Fallout 3. The inclusion of Damage Threshold? Is one of the bigger thing in combat. You can't just take out a Robot or Rad Scorpion with a dinky gun or you'll just waste bullets on route to killing them. Then there's Hardcore mode that has me utilizing a lot of the junk that had no purpose in Fallout 3.

It may look exactly the same in parts but the base game play is a richer.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Zeliard said:
lol

Perhaps try not skipping entire chunks of the dialogue, Grover.

How are you finding the writing of the dialogue so far anyway? in comparison to fallout 3 at least.

jax (old)

Banned
Snuggler said:

of course its a full game with lots of stuff, it'd have to be. But it feels like more of the same.

maybe because I played through GOTY edition maybe around may but it doesn't feel fresh.

my comment made no valuation with regards to content but more related to atmosphere.

Trickster

Snuggler said:

Comparing it to FO3, how does it stack up in terms of content? One of the things I loved about FO3 was that even after tens of hours of play, I still felt there was much more to do and explore.

I know it's probably hard to say already since it only just got released a day or so ago. But it's still something I'd like to know if possible :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jax said:
of course its a full game with lots of stuff, it'd have to be. But it feels like more of the same.

maybe because I played through GOTY edition maybe around may but it doesn't feel fresh.

my comment made no valuation with regards to content but more related to atmosphere.

Cool. The game doesn't claim to be Fallout 4 (whatever the hell that would mean anyway).

Why did you buy the game without looking into it at all? It's terribly obvious that the game is more or less the same as Fallout 3 graphically and system-wise. The story, setting, characters, and encounters are the draw for this game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
duckroll said:
I don't think Obsidian has touched Alpha Protocol since late last year. :lol

So Obsidian is already paying more attention to New Vegas? :lol

iammeiam

Snuggler said:
Thanks a lot, I was lost with that stuff. So much goddamn rubble everywhere and the waypoints are funny. I just wanna get in the damn strip already.

Totally know how you feel; if you have
Boone
with you, you can talk to him and get a tip on how to get to the Strip way, way faster. The Freeside quests are pretty decent, but figuring out where the hell stuff is is so difficult it can sour the experience.

ScrubJay

Acid08 said:
So how does the PS3 version of this game stack up? I don't have a 360 anymore or a powerful enough PC to run it.

In 5 hours so far I've encountered one bug - a gecko flew up into the air 60 feet when I threw dynamite at him. Performance is comparable to Fallout 3 I'd say, maybe a little higher FPS.

This is on a MGS4 80 GB PS3.

ScrubJay said:
In 5 hours so far I've encountered one bug - a gecko flew up into the air 60 feet when I threw dynamite at him. Performance is comparable to Fallout 3 I'd say, maybe a little higher FPS.

Why were you wasting a dynamite on a gecko? I circle strafe those guys and I don't even use a melee build.

Zeliard

Lafiel said:
How are you finding the writing of the dialogue so far anyway? in comparison to fallout 3 at least.

Much more engaging, but that wouldn't have been difficult considering how insipid and dull I found much of Fallout 3's dialogue. This certainly isn't Planescape: Torment but the dialogue is generally much more interesting than the previous game, and there is considerably more dark humor that permeates New Vegas relative to Fallout 3. The characters are better-written and generally much better-voiced, with an exception or two so far (Sunny).

This isn't Fallout 3. This is the game Fallout 3 wanted to be. Playing in Hardcore mode on higher difficulties, the game takes on much more of a survivalist tone (befitting a post-apoc world), which was never the case with Fallout 3 when you were able to eliminate everything easily with VATS and never really had to worry about much in and out of combat.

Swifty

It took me a while to notice, but I just realized that some music tracks in Fallout 1 and 2 are in the game! That was so awesome and it just fits so well. Notably, I had the LA Boneyard ambient music playing while in the NCR camp near Primm. I also heard the typical dungeon music that played in FO1 and 2 in, well, dungeon-like locations.

I wish they got Mark Morgan to score the entire thing instead of Inon Zur but Zur's tracks for New Vegas definitely fit better than the out of place brassy "epic" tunes he did for Fallout 3.

Acid08

Banned
ScrubJay said:

So in other words it's still the worst looking of the 3?

Wiggum2007

kai3345 said:
wtfspoilarz
Jamesfrom818 said:
Good thing I'm sleepy because I read the name but I have no idea what it is now.

Sorry, I didn't know that character's name was a spoiler, it was mentioned all over in the official pre-release media releases including the latest dev diary, so I didn't think there was anything spoilerific to it. Fixed now.

duckroll

thetrin said:
So Obsidian is already paying more attention to New Vegas? :lol

Well, it's not really up to Obsidian really. They're a developer and if they're paid by the publisher to continue support they would. Fallout New Vegas is obviously a big deal and it's going to sell a ton, so yes it is already much more supported than Alpha Protocol was. AP was sent to die by Sega after a very troubled development.

Doel

bitmobshoe Dan Hsu
One site was forced to pull its Fallout Vegas review because advertiser Bethesda was unhappy w/ score. Sad this crap still goes on.

Anyone know what site that was?

Sanic

I have no idea why I never rolled with companions in F3. The experience is vastly improved with one (or three).

Marvie_3

Banned
Pandoracell said:
I have no idea why I never rolled with companions in F3. The experience is vastly improved with one (or three).
I never used the companions either. Then I realized how much easier it was to haul more loot with Fawkes tagging along. :lol

Zeliard

Pandoracell said:

I rolled with Jericho for most of the game in F3. Had Dogmeat along for a while as well, but he wasn't nearly as effective.

With Jericho, I never really had that many of the companion issues that so many others did. He killed shit and never died (especially after I decked him out in power armor), and he was also beneficial to have around as a mule. Worked out quite nicely, even if it just made the game even easier. :lol

neoism

Burger said:
No you don't, you get 720p. Xbox might say 1080p, but most games run at 720p (or less). If you can select 1080p on your PS3, then your TV is simply taking a 1080p and scaling it down to fit on a 720p panel.

Just because you can select it as an option doesn't mean you got a free TV upgrade.

Running in 1080p to display on a 720p panel will only give you degraded performance.
It says 1080p through the TV. It's a Vizio. I can't even use 1280X768.

Marvie_3

Banned
Zeliard said:
I rolled with Jericho for the entire game in F3. Had Dogmeat along for a while as well, but he wasn't nearly as effective.

With Jericho, I never really had that many of the companion issues that so many others did. He killed shit and never died (especially after I decked him out in power armor), and he was also beneficial to have around as a mule. Worked out quite nicely, even if it just made the game even easier. :lol
Totally disagree. Dogmeat was an awesome companion for me. I barely had to fight at times because he'd slaughter everything. :lol

Zeliard

Marvie_3 said:
Totally disagree. Dogmeat was an awesome companion for me. I barely had to fight at times because he'd slaughter everything. :lol

He wasn't terrible or anything, but in a fight, Jericho manning a minigun in power armor is simply more effective (and awesome-looking). :p

Main reason I eventually let Dogmeat go is because he was just making an already easy game just too easy.

Marvie_3

Banned
Zeliard said:
He wasn't terrible or anything, but in a fight, Jericho manning a minigun in power armor is simply more effective (and awesome-looking). :p

Main reason I eventually let Dogmeat go is because he was just making an already easy game just too easy.
Fawkes was awesome with his gatling laser. Problem was he was so slow. By the time he'd start shooting anything, Dogmeat would have killed everything. :lol

Zeliard

Marvie_3 said:
Fawkes was awesome with his gatling laser. Problem was he was so slow. By the time he'd start shooting anything, Dogmeat would have killed everything. :lol

I would've liked to use Fawkes but my guy's karma was too negative. Was gonna save Fawkes for another playthrough, but it wasn't to be. If there's a possible Super Mutant companion this time around I'll try and make up for it. :p

RS4-

NightHawk17 said:
can someone tell me where harland's friend is? the ghoul in the basement of the repcon factory, ive been trying to find her but she isnt anywhere

It isn't close to where Harland is; it's almost on the other side of the level where you end up in some basement/generator kind of area with a nightkin who has a key, which you use to unlock the locked section in that very same room, then proceed downstairs to a series of rooms.

Here's the video I mentioned earlier, of me clipping through the ground then ending up at the exit -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ipwz5jel4E

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm still a long way off from
Novac
, which people are mentioning as the earliest place for a safe container. I did just find a second
Mojave Express dropbox
. Can I use those as safe containers, or do they get cleared out?
I'm aware that I'll need to pick up the stuff at the different box I've sent the stuff to.

iammeiam

heringer said:
Having trouble with nightkins in the
basement of the Rocket Facility.
They're far too strong for me.

Any tips? :/

It might vary based on difficulty level, but I had
about six Stealth Boys and Boone with me, so I wound up creeping through the hallways, stealthed, careful to aggro only one Nightkin at a time. I'd fire off shotgun blasts while retreating to keep them chasing me, and Boone'd shoot them in the fricking head. I killed off every Nightkin but the last one in the basement that way, no trouble, on Normal. More than one at a time, though, turned into a bloodbath.

duckroll said:
Well, it's not really up to Obsidian really. They're a developer and if they're paid by the publisher to continue support they would. Fallout New Vegas is obviously a big deal and it's going to sell a ton, so yes it is already much more supported than Alpha Protocol was. AP was sent to die by Sega after a very troubled development.
I'm still upset that Sega ditched the Alien RPG for Alpha Protocol. :(

RS4- said:
It isn't close to where Harland is; it's almost on the other side of the level where you end up in some basement/generator kind of area with a nightkin who has a key, which you use to unlock the locked section in that very same room, then proceed downstairs to a series of rooms.
so i have to kill a nightkin for the key?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Darn that stinks. I figured I'd
play both sides in the NCR vs Powder Ganger prison thing. I told the lieutenant I wanted to be part of the raid, but instead of rendezvousing with the guy near the prison, I went in first and sneak attacked Eddie and killed everyone, but then the NCR soldiers considered me an enemy.

Top Bottom