• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

SixStringPsycho said:
My male character has a girls voice, everytime I get hit he shouts like a girl. I encountered a bug where a character was floating in the air and did the animation of jumping. Encountered textures where its invisible. Rocks where you can see whats behind them. Fuck! Id do a better job than the fucking testers these guys hired. And this is in the PS3 Version

Now that you mention it I think I'm having the same issue, either that or my guy just has a really girly voice. I also had the Deputy in Primm fly in the air and get stuck in the ceiling, it was pretty strange but I was able to talk to him and continue the quest. Lastly I've had the game freeze up a lot. Not a total freeze but a temporary delay where everything just stops for a couple of seconds, just long enough for me to be worried I'm going to have to reset.

Also PS3 version.

Fredescu

Without going into any details, can anyone give any Wild Wasteland impressions? Is it over the top silly? Just funny? Hard to tell?

Tkawsome said:
Now that you mention it I think I'm having the same issue, either that or my guy just has a really girly voice. I also had the Deputy in Primm fly in the air and get stuck in the ceiling, it was pretty strange but I was able to talk to him and continue the quest. Lastly I've had the game freeze up a lot. Not a total freeze but a temporary delay where everything just stops for a couple of seconds, just long enough for me to be worried I'm going to have to reset.

Also PS3 version.
that was my problem exactly, also the delay happens when we are exploring the world. Its like its loading something

Wallach

Fredescu said:
Without going into any details, can anyone give any Wild Wasteland impressions? Is it over the top silly? Just funny? Hard to tell?

It varies. Much like Fallout 2 a handful of the scenarios are quite absurd.

If you didn't love those kinds of things in Fallout 2, you won't love them here either.

I just hate this bug where my character raises his weapon constantly, ugh, so annoying, and I think I also have that female voice bug also, jeez, lol, besides that Im really liking the game.

Curious, how many weapons are you guys holding?

TeTr1C

Twenty men had tried to take him, twenty men had made a slip.

Twenty one would be the ranger with the big iron on his hip, big iron on his hiiiiiiiiip.

Favorite song so far. I'm sure I'll get sick of it, as there seems to be about 5 songs. :lol

Dresden

Yeah, six hours in and I'm calling it quits on my explosives character. It's fun, but I can't find anymore bombs. Dynamites are gone since I'm not killing powder gang members and grenades are rare and expensive as fuck. I've been using guns (with a skill level of 15 no less) FFS. Hard, Hardcore, it's just frustrating since I don't have anything to kill people with.

Time to reset and go melee or energy weapons.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Right now I'm carrying my trusty 9mm, a hunting rifle, a sawed-off and 9 throwing spears. I think I got the spears from some stupid preorder bonus code thing. They're scrub weapons but they feel more powerful in this game, especially the hunting rifle.

TeTr1C

dreamer3kx said:
I just hate this bug where my character raises his weapon constantly, ugh, so annoying, and I think I also have that female voice bug also, jeez, lol, besides that Im really liking the game.

I'm holding like 8 different weapons, not counting a few dynamite and frag grenades. I always try to have a good variety, but I sacrifice the amount I have to use for scavenging.

Hyunkel6

Played for 2 hours. Encountered one bug: A giant radscorpion was stuck in the environment. I butchered it with my knife. Took me a long time, but it sure saved me loads of ammo. :lol

Some quick questions that have probably been answered:

-What are ammo cases used for? I have been hoarding them since they have no weight.
-Do I get to choose more traits as I level up or is it only at the beginning of the game?
-What exactly does the canteen (gamestop pre-order dlc) do? How do I know if it still contains water?

Other than that, I'm having a blast with the game. I skipped the
deathclaw
quarry sidequest in Sloan since I have a feeling I'm underleveled (
Alpha and Mama deathclaw? No thanks.
) and am on my way to Primm.

Alucrid

Banned
TeTr1C said:
Twenty men had tried to take him, twenty men had made a slip.

Twenty one would be the ranger with the big iron on his hip, big iron on his hiiiiiiiiip.

Favorite song so far. I'm sure I'll get sick of it, as there seems to be about 5 songs. :lol

Yeah. I would honestly pay for DLC songs.

(._.)

Banned
That patch pretty much fixed the game for me. It still hiccups every now and then. I can transition between stuff while running New Vegas now also. Runs super smooth, funny how the bug issue was such a huge deal nut now in less than 48 hours they are already patching it up. Expect it to be bug free hopefully by the end of the month.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I got a doggie with me now. <3

I'm gonna be bummed out when one of my companions dies. They're pretty damn tough but it seems inevitable.

Dresden

Okay, I'm saying goodbye to my character... level 7, 1000 caps, 63 stimpacks. ;_; You will be missed, thieving, hoarding bastard.

Now for... melee? How is melee in NV, has anyone been going that route? Either that or energy weapons.

Wallach

Dresden said:
Okay, I'm saying goodbye to my character... level 7, 1000 caps, 63 stimpacks. ;_; You will be missed, thieving, hoarding bastard.

Now for... melee? How is melee in NV, has anyone been going that route? Either that or energy weapons.

I am playing Explosives but tend to carry a couple melee weapons for weaker stuff.

It's not too different from FO3 but a lot of weapons have the option of performing a special attack in VATS. The machete for example can do a dash & back-handed slash instead of a normal swing. Carrying a machete is probably a good idea in general because it just destroys limb condition. You pretty much instantly cripple every limb you hit.

Dresden said:

It seems like melee is pretty damn powerful. Especially in buildings where you can close the distance on enemies quickly. But you might run int problems with long range weaponry out in the wasteland.

ruxtpin

Banned
What's the deal with some of the quests not seeming finished?

Very early in the name (first 30 minutes)
when you follow that girl Sandy around and clear the water reservoirs
if you choose to that is... Maybe an hour or so down the road there's another quest
where you have to get that guy outta' the gas station, and you have to recruit people to help him take on the Powder Gangers, but that girl Sandy has up and disappeared.
The quest is now marked complete, even though I did none of that...

And what's up with it when it says 1/5 Quest Complete? Or some other number.

Giard

Having lots of fun with this game.
I'm kicking ass with "That Gun". :lol
The only enemies that give me trouble for now are Radscorpions (and I've just realized that beating the crap out of them with brass knuckles is about 100x more effective than a gun) and
Nightkins

dwebo

Fredescu said:
Well, I've been playing for a good few hours now, and I've only seen one WW event - the one near the start that's already been mentioned a few times. That being said, I also haven't strayed off the roads too much since my character is still pretty weak. I'm hoping the perk becomes more apparent later on.

Wallach

Giard said:
Having lots of fun with this game.
I'm kicking ass with "That Gun". :lol
The only enemies that give me trouble for now are Radscorpions (and I've just learned that beating the crap out of them with brass knuckles is about 100x more effective than a gun) and
Nightkins

I ran into a Giant Radscorpion at level 3 (wanderlust) and I had to abuse the hell out of terrain to get out of that with my life. I didn't even blink at taking Entomologist at level 4.

Dresden

t's not too different from FO3 but a lot of weapons have the option of performing a special attack in VATS. The machete for example can do a dash & back-handed slash instead of a normal swing. Carrying a machete is probably a good idea in general because it just destroys limb condition. You pretty much instantly cripple every limb you hit.

Reluctant-Hero said:
It seems like melee is pretty damn powerful. Especially in buildings where you can close the distance on enemies quickly. But you might run int problems with long range weaponry out in the wasteland.
Hmm, I think I'll go melee. Also because I have the Broad Machete from the Amazon pre order. :lol

Swag

What effects pick pocketing success rates?

Lucky Old Son spoiler

Trying to get the weapon off the Kid in New Vegas so I can use the sattelite weapon but he keeps discovering me pickpocketing him! Don't have enough skill to barter him either, and for some reason I can't kill him :lol

kai3345

Banned
Fuck, I thought Confirmed Bachelor was going to make me more of an asshole towards men, turns out it makes me gay :lol :lol

Wallach

Dresden said:
Hmm, I think I'll go melee. Also because I have the Broad Machete from the Amazon pre order. :lol

Did you delete your other guy? I'm surprised you are having troubles with Explosives. You may want to stick with it a little longer because it will pay off, big time. The only advice I can give without divulging spoilers is to remember to almost always stick to VATS for thrown explosives. Also, taking the level 2 perk Heave-Ho seems to give you a substantial VATS hit percentage boost because the base range of thrown explosives is increased by quite a lot.

Animator said:
FUCK YOU GIANT SCORPION!

Bastard is cockblocking my road to the scrapyard arghhh. Killed poor Ed-E too :(

Flamer is the best bet for Scorpion problems. Cleared out a nest of four out of
Nipton Road Reststop
by basically running backward away from them down the road and letting fly on them repeatedly. Thing to remember about Scorpions are that they're fairly fast and have fairly high Damage Resistance thanks to their heavy natural armor.

Dresden

Wallach said:
Did you delete your other guy? I'm surprised you are having troubles with Explosives. You may want to stick with it a little longer because it will pay off, big time. The only advice I can give without divulging spoilers is to remember to almost always stick to VATS for thrown explosives. Also, taking the level 2 perk Heave-Ho seems to give you a substantial VATS hit percentage boost because the base range of thrown explosives is increased by quite a lot.
I spent two hours getting my face stomped on by Nightkin on Hard, and now I'm out of everything. I've been sticking to VATS for dynamite-tossing, and frag mines are always fun to use, but I'm always running low on stuff.

Does it change later on?

Giard

kai3345 said:
Fuck, I thought Confirmed Bachelor was going to make me more of an asshole towards men, turns out it makes me gay :lol :lol
Uh oh, looks like I'm bisexual :lol
I took Lady Killer as well

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Pikelet said:
To the people playing Hardcore mode, how is it? Thinking of picking up this one in the future and this mode seems really interesting to me. Is it alright to do it on your first run through the game?

If you want to go solo, play hardcore. If you want to play with companions, go regular and perhaps bump up the difficulty to Hard or Very Hard. My reasoning is that unless you enjoy micromanagement it's not great having to care for your bros and waifus all the time. Food and sleep are pathetically easy to take care of. I dehydrate pretty often but one trip to this place called "Goodsprings Source" and it's taken care of instantly. Limbs are an issue but doctor's bags and hydras are fairly common, not to mention the doc can fix you up if you really need a fix (which should never happen, as the doc himself sells doctor's bags that are cheaper than his limb-fixing service).

That leaves the last exclusive feature of hardcore mode: weighted ammo. This will prove an annoyance or no trouble at all depending on your play style. But just for reference, with hardcore mode enabled I went into a "dungeon" with 2 shotguns, a pistol, a flamethrower, a minigun, and an SMG, not to mention all the supplies and ammo I was carrying. I think I've only gotten close to the max weight once, in which case you just sell off your excess loot.

EDIT:
Wallach said:
How's your SPECIAL allocation? Carrying a melee weapon would probably solve most of your problems. If you're still just relying on thrown explosives don't be afraid to bash a few nerds with a tire iron or something, they are QUITE powerful early game provided you have decent STR (which you really should if you've gone main explosives).

One should be carrying a shovel at all times anyways. You can find some pretty good stuff in graves :D

Wallach

Dresden said:
I spent two hours getting my face stomped on by Nightkin on Hard, and now I'm out of everything. I've been sticking to VATS for dynamite-tossing, and frag mines are always fun to use, but I'm always running low on stuff.

Does it change later on?

Explosives does have its own line of actual weaponry besides stuff like grenades and mines. It will make your life much easier. I found something that would make a Bozar jealous. Seriously.

How's your SPECIAL allocation? Carrying a melee weapon would probably solve most of your problems. If you're still just relying on thrown explosives don't be afraid to bash a few nerds with a tire iron or something, they are QUITE powerful early game provided you have decent STR (which you really should if you've gone main explosives).

Dresden

Wallach said:
Explosives does have its own line of actual weaponry besides stuff like grenades and mines. It will make your life much easier. I found something that would make a Bozar jealous. Seriously.

I have 5 strength. With glasses and a hat, I have 9 perception, something like 8 luck and 6 charisma and intel--I have like 4 or so in endurance and agility.

I guess I'll continue with my wannabe demoman for now, then. Gotta put that machete to use.

RS4-

Sebulon3k said:
What effects pick pocketing success rates?

Lucky Old Son spoiler

Trying to get the weapon off the Kid in New Vegas so I can use the sattelite weapon but he keeps discovering me pickpocketing him! Don't have enough skill to barter him either, and for some reason I can't kill him :lol

oh shit, that's what it's for? Hmm I think I bartered it off him for 20 caps :lol

Zeliard

Sub_Level said:
If you want to go solo, play hardcore. If you want to play with companions, go regular and perhaps bump up the difficulty to Hard or Very Hard.

The key is to play Hardcore + Hard/Very Hard, not Normal.

Varna

Yeah... I'm very interested in getting the .dll to work. After it resets my settings though and I hit play the game will crash every single time. :/

Wallach

Dresden said:
I have 5 strength. With glasses and a hat, I have 9 perception, something like 8 luck and 6 charisma and intel--I have like 4 or so in endurance and agility.

I guess I'll continue with my wannabe demoman for now, then. Gotta put that machete to use.

Hm... that could be a little rough in melee. See if you can handle some stuff without using up explosive stock. Also don't forget about chems like Med-X and Psycho if you really need to bash someone.

Giard said:
Well that's weird :lol
Where can you get a shovel?

I think the general store in Goodsprings sells one.

Wallach said:
Hm... that could be a little rough in melee. See if you can handle some stuff without using up explosive stock. Also don't forget about chems like Med-X and Psycho if you really need to bash someone.

I think the general store in Goodsprings sells one.

If you go chem heavy make sure you save some space for a few Fixers though, addiction sucks.

There's an OK conditioned shovel leaning against the second well at Goodsprings Source, if you're tight on caps.

Luigi87

Ugh, I had forgotten to make a hard save in over an hour and my game crashed.
Yay for find out about the *.bak autosave in the saves folder.

Of course after loading it (and making a hard save!), playing for a few minutes, it crashed again >.<
That's it for the night.

JohngPR

EviLore said:
People, create real saves, don't rely on quicksave and autosave.

Most definitely this.

I played 112 hours of Fallout 3 and I had to learn that back then the hard way. :lol

This is one of the few games my wife really enjoys watching me play so she kind of forced me to pick it up so she can watch me play. :D

Really liking it so far (about 2 hours in) although it's incredibly similar to FO3...not that I mind.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Goddamn, I take back what I said about my companions being tough. We came across a few giant flies and both were killed almost instantly.
What the hell? Bitches are weak. I reloaded my save just because one of my companions was the focus of a mission I was working on, but after this I guess I should just let them die. I know it won't happen if I turn hardcore off, but I've made it this far, so it aint gonna happen.

Great game so far. I'm just about to take my first step into the Strip.

Top Bottom