• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Smokey

Um..ok I'm wondering if the G.I. Blues quest for King is glitched or something. I've been on "Investigate rumors of free food and water...." for about a hour now. I've been going to this shitty arrow for what seems like forever, but everytime I go to it it looks like it's in Freeside. I go through the door...the arrow is right there...but nothing.

tha fuck man.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
duckroll said:
Oh and is this d3d dll thing only for improving performance on nvidia cards? Or does it improve performance for ATI cards too?

Not sure, but it did work for me and my nvidia card.

iammeiam

Smokey said:
Um..ok I'm wondering if the G.I. Blues quest for King is glitched or something. I've been on "Investigate rumors of free food and water...." for about a hour now. I've been going to this shitty arrow for what seems like forever, but everytime I go to it it looks like it's in Freeside. I go through the door...the arrow is right there...but nothing.

tha fuck man.

I'm betting you're stuck looking for the Ruined Storefront. Basically:
enter Freeside through the 'north gate' fast-travel spot on your world map. Go straight until you get to the blue ruined train car, then turn right. DO NOT go through the door on the train car, turn right at the street in front of it. Keep going until you cross below the ruined overpass, immediately turn left. Walk to the end of the street, look to your left, there should be a pair of NCR soldiers guiding a door.

The arrow on that part sucks, and I spent forever going back and forth through the door in the ruined building that I thought it was pointing at. It's not.

G_Berry

Banned
[DETECTED] DOG WITH FUCKING EYES ON THE SIDE OF IT'S HEAD!!!!!!!!!

ScreenShot0.jpg

I love this game :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Smokey said:

tha fuck man.

I got stuck there today. Ignore the arrow, it's borked. I'll just quote the guy that helped me:

nevermind, he already swooped in and helped. What an hero.

Smokey

iammeiam said:
I'm betting you're stuck looking for the Ruined Storefront. Basically:
enter Freeside through the 'north gate' fast-travel spot on your world map. Go straight until you get to the blue ruined train car, then turn right. DO NOT go through the door on the train car, turn right at the street in front of it. Keep going until you cross below the ruined overpass, immediately turn left. Walk to the end of the street, look to your left, there should be a pair of NCR soldiers guiding a door.

The arrow on that part sucks, and I spent forever going back and forth through the door in the ruined building that I thought it was pointing at. It's not.

HOLY SHIT ARE YOU SERIOUS FUCK YOU OBSIDIAN

I WANT THE 1HR+ OF MY LIFE BACK
im going to bed

thank you x100 man

iammeiam

Snuggler said:
I got stuck there today. Ignore the arrow, it's borked. I'll just quote the guy that helped me:

nevermind, he already swooped in and helped. What an hero.

I'm stuck in "one more quest" mode."After I finish this one I'll go to bed!" Only it invariably triggers something else I can't quit without checking out, and so an hour later I'm still on my 'last quest'.

Traveling back and forth across the wasteland leads to a lot of load times, so a lot of GAF. Also that frigging route is now burned into my brain because, seriously, what the hell.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Man I jsut had to force myself to stop playing and I want to start it back up just to hit my stash before i go to sleep. That is just an excuse to play more D:

Wallach

duckroll said:
Oh and is this d3d dll thing only for improving performance on nvidia cards? Or does it improve performance for ATI cards too?

Worked on my 5850. Mind you my performance was not ganked like the nvidia cards, but even then there were some weird cases where I'd drop down to like 20 FPS and it cleared that up. Definitely use it for now.

Edit - What did you guys decide to do
about Primm's sheriff situation? I reprogrammed Primm Slimm to be their new robotic overlord. :lol

Burger

Awesome, fresh install of windows, fresh steam install, latest video and audio drivers, and all I get in Fallout NV is crashes to desktop within 3-5 minutes of playing.

Talk to robot dude, crash. Go to kill Geckos with Sunny, crash.

I mean, what the fuck else am I supposed to do about this ?

duckroll

Wallach said:
Worked on my 5850. Mind you my performance was not ganked like the nvidia cards, but even then there were some weird cases where I'd drop down to like 20 FPS and it cleared that up. Definitely use it for now.

Oh okay, thanks. I'll grab it when I finally get to fucking play the game tomorrow then. I have a 4850, so if it helps you, it should help me too.

Wallach

duckroll said:
Oh okay, thanks. I'll grab it when I finally get to fucking play the game tomorrow then. I have a 4850, so if it helps you, it should help me too.

It didn't unlock for you? Have you tried logging in/out of Steam to check?

Max said:
Started with that Wild Wasteland perk, 7 hours in and I've found nothing to be out of the ordinary.

:(

Well, if it's your first playthrough, you can't exactly compare and contrast...

Although, I've heard
Indiana Jones' skeleton in the fridge
is due to Wild Wasteland.

Zeliard

SalsaShark said:
Oh and first thing i noticed, the music is MUCH better.

The whole mood music i mean, the way it changed when i was attacking those Geckos was fantastic. Reminds me of iMUSE.

The music is wonderful here, yeah. I've noticed a few tunes from the early Fallouts, too. Pretty neat. And even Fallout Tactics. :lol

duckroll

Wallach said:
It didn't unlock for you? Have you tried logging in/out of Steam to check?

It unlocks tomorrow. The unlock times for New Vegas for some reason are different all over the world. It's pretty fucked up!

Swag

Just got to the strip

Spoilarz

Benny ran like a bitch, and I forgot to get ammo for my silenced pistol so I couldn't kill him, So Dumb. Wonder what's going to happen with the Platinum Chip Data, will definitely use the opportunity to kill Mr House and become the New Vegas overlord.

Got about 10 or 12 quests from this place too, random people coming to me wanting help / to meet their leaders. Wonder if I should visit the Hoover Dam before I decide to help anyone out, the way everyone and Yes Man have been describing things, it seems like there's going to be a big showdown at the strip soon.

Anyone know what the maximum number of companions are? Currently have

Boone, and Rex

Jacobstown spoiler related to companion

Tried to get Lily to come with me to the cave but she said "Three's company"

Thought you're allowed a Human, Pet, and a Non Human?

DiscoJer

SixStringPsycho said:
My male character has a girls voice, everytime I get hit he shouts like a girl. I encountered a bug where a character was floating in the air and did the animation of jumping. Encountered textures where its invisible. Rocks where you can see whats behind them. Fuck! Id do a better job than the fucking testers these guys hired. And this is in the PS3 Version

Do you really think testers miss obvious bugs?

Or do you think they report the bugs only to have them get ignored because the game has to be shipped on a given date? (or some sort of screw up happens)

Zeliard

duckroll said:
It unlocks tomorrow. The unlock times for New Vegas for some reason are different all over the world. It's pretty fucked up!

:<

Curious to see what you think about the game. Just remember, winners go Hardcore + Hard/Very Hard. :D

pyros

duckroll said:

it unlocks 8:30 or 9:00 am for me tomorrow, was looking forward to spending the long weekend playing, I'm off tomorrow, but screwed up by telling the wife in my excitement, she just gave me the "no your not" look, married life sucks sometimes

Ledsen

I'm looking for someone from the US or UK to gift this game to me on Steam. It's 50 euros here so I'll save about 20 euros by getting it from somewhere else. Please PM me if you're available and I'll Paypal you the money immediately! With all the bug and MS slow certification process I don't dare wait until they fix the 360 version that I have pre-ordered. I'll just sell that and play it on PC instead :)

edit: Fixed! GAF rocks :)

Just started this tonight... made my sociopath character, all strength and endurance. He solves problems with his fists, literally. Charisma all the way down to 1. And Hardcore mode of course :D

Only problem so far is how much the game stutters when turning or walking around outside in general. Any suggestions on easy ways to smooth it out? The game automatically put me on the ultra high graphics settings (running a GTX 260 w/ 4GB RAM). But it still stutters. Not unplayable, just annoying.

Zeliard

timetokill said:
Just started this tonight... made my sociopath character, all strength and endurance. He solves problems with his fists, literally. Charisma all the way down to 1. And Hardcore mode of course :D

Should've waited for the dialogue mod to run that char. :p The G.E.C.K. for New Vegas has "built-in support for low-intelligence dialogue options."

iammeiam

The "Wang Dang Atomic Tango" quest must be a side-effect of the Wild Wasteland perk. The whole thing is pretty out-there, but I just found the last individual for the quest, the
sexbot
and then my character proceeds to
first, nickname him "Fisto", and then when prompted to "Assume the position" offer up a dialog to, in fact, test out his services.

Which I of course selected.

Spookie

iammeiam said:
The "Wang Dang Atomic Tango" quest must be a side-effect of the Wild Wasteland perk. The whole thing is pretty out-there, but I just found the last individual for the quest, the
sexbot
and then my character proceeds to
first, nickname him "Fisto", and then when prompted to "Assume the position" offer up a dialog to, in fact, test out his services.

Which I of course selected.

Yep. So going to finish that later.

Wallach

Spoiler stuff (pretty early main quest):

I decided to go to Nipton and actually get something done in the main quest. When I got there and talked to the Legion guy, I got a quest called "Cold, Cold Heart". The thing is, after the conversation if I blow all those assholes away instead of letting them leave, the quest seems to de-activate but I don't get a "quest failed" notification or anything. Not sure how to proceed, is it an important quest or not?

avcables

Banned
CecilRousso said:
Well, it is a radioactive wasteland after all. :lol

Funny thing about this bug is it'll happen every single time Cheyenne gets into a fight, haha. No matter who is playing. I wonder if console people have the same issue?

iammeiam

Wallach said:
Spoiler stuff (pretty early main quest):

I decided to go to Nipton and actually get something done in the main quest. When I got there and talked to the Legion guy, I got a quest called "Cold, Cold Heart". The thing is, after the conversation if I blow all those assholes away instead of letting them leave, the quest seems to de-activate but I don't get a "quest failed" notification or anything. Not sure how to proceed, is it an important quest or not?

Does it no longer appear in your Pipboy quest list? It's non-vital; based on what you do to complete it there's no reason killing them would invalidate the quest, but you're not missing out on anything huge if you don't get to do it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Fucking hate how because it's a Steam game I need to wait until the game is released before I can install it.

Wallach

iammeiam said:
Does it no longer appear in your Pipboy quest list? It's non-vital; based on what you do to complete it there's no reason killing them would invalidate the quest, but you're not missing out on anything huge if you don't get to do it.

It's there but grayed-out as if I'd completed or failed it. I don't really understand why killing them would prevent me from telling other folks about what happened?

What is the next step, I'll just go off and do it to see if it still works properly.

Ledsen

kai3345 said:
idk I just thought since he's basically who the game is about, and you're trying to find out who he is, itd be a pretty big spoiler.

Thanks, by saying that you just spoiled it for me even though I only read the guy's edited post.

iammeiam

Wallach said:
It's there but grayed-out as if I'd completed or failed it. I don't really understand why killing them would prevent me from telling other folks about what happened?

What is the next step, I'll just go off and do it to see if it still works properly.

It's just the one step; you tell the named military NPC at Mojave Outpost about it, and that's pretty much it.

Ledsen

(._.) said:
That patch pretty much fixed the game for me. It still hiccups every now and then. I can transition between stuff while running New Vegas now also. Runs super smooth, funny how the bug issue was such a huge deal nut now in less than 48 hours they are already patching it up. Expect it to be bug free hopefully by the end of the month.

:lol :lol :lol
Did you ever play a Bethesda or Obsidian game before?

Wallach

iammeiam said:
It's just the one step; you tell the named military NPC at Mojave Outpost about it, and that's pretty much it.

Yeah, I went ahead and re-loaded to the save where I was looking at them and just let them walk away, which fixes it. Might as well, maybe he'll be interesting later. Completing the quest and killing them wasn't such a big discrepancy in experience and saves me the explosives. :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've used that dll from the beginning, but decided to remove it and see what happens. I'm pretty surprised by how much worse the game can run without it. On screen NPCs absolutely kill the framerate for no reason. How could anyone play this out of the box? Microstuttering and huge slowdown when NPCs appear would ruin it. Some light tweaking definitely solved everything, though, and the framerate has been perfect.

By the way, anyone know of any post processing mods available for this or Fallout 3? One of the things contributing to its now somewhat dated appearance is the lack of any sort of environmental post processing. You know, some heat waves, distance blur, SOMETHING. Would definitely help a lot.

Top Bottom