• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition Arrives in February

UltraMav said:
Definitely picking this up for PC. Bought the original for 360 on release, but now that I have a decent rig I'm sticking to PC versions for Bethesda titles from now on. Easier to work around bugs and what not.

And the ability to apply those glorious mods.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
That Best Buy sale in July was perfect. Got the vanilla version for $10, now I can get this after a slight price drop. Only real problem is that due to the faction system I'm not sure I have a "canon" save that I'd use for the DLC. I guess I'll worry about that later.

I haven't played this since it's release. Is it still buggy as hell? Or have they gone through and patched most of them? If they have patched it I might pick it up otherwise.... I couldn't stand it then and won't now.

Massa

bill gonorrhea said:
I haven't played this since it's release. Is it still buggy as hell? Or have they gone through and patched most of them? If they have patched it I might pick it up otherwise.... I couldn't stand it then and won't now.

Game works fine for me. I had more problems with Fallout 3 than with NV.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Jim-jam Bongs got me this basically (Fallout NV + DLC) and I plan on playing it after Skyrim. I can't get in anything too involved a week before Skyrim, but I've been wanting to play this for a long time.

bill gonorrhea said:

50 hours gametime (PC version), encountered one major bug for a sidequest. Wouldn´t call that buggy as hell. Absolutely fantastic games. Feels good to have been able to play this for a year instead of waiting.

Averon said:
Always wait to buy an open world Bethesda RPG.

Why? Why not play a great game at release, if you have the time and the money, instead of waiting?

Deified Data said:
Fuck. This or Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

Fallout New Vegas.

Though I'm slightly bias, since it was my GOTY in 2010. And for good reason too.

Marvelous writing, colourful characters, gameplay mechanics improved over Fallout 3, and imo, locations that are a lot more interesting to explore. A few in particular scared the bejeebus outta me.

Kingdoms of Amalur could be good/great, we've not seen enough of it yet tbh.

So take my word as you will. :)

Linkhero1

I was wondering. Does the DLC include new music tracks or does it just use the same tracks that were already in New Vegas.

pa22word

MSRP @ $50 huh? I got the game + all the DLC for roughly $42 through steam sales months ago, heh. Oh and yeah, this is a great deal for people who haven't played it yet.

hemtae

CecilRousso said:
Why? Why not play a great game at release, if you have the time and the money, instead of waiting?

Probably because at release, Bethesda games are horribly buggy.

Duki

Banned
honest hearts was fucking garbage

not only did it completely ruin the burned man but the best fucking part of it was reading some shit about a badass old guy on some computer terminals

how the fuck is that the highlight of your dlc

smh obsidian

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Everyone should buy the shit out of this.

One of my fave experiences this gen.

It's a whole different animal than Fallout 3, yeah, but it distinguishes itself on its own merit through the changes to the system, the story and factions, and some of the more awesome quests, especially now that all the huge bugs are gone.

Will it be released with bug fixings and patches?

It will not, will it? :\

The only reason I could see it not being on the disc was if there was a problem between the interactions of the patches and the DLC, but I'm pretty sure that was worked out on the Fallout 3 GOTY edition, so I can't imagine it won't be patched up.

hemtae said:
Probably because at release, Bethesda games are horribly buggy.

I bought New Vegas at release and haven´t experienced more than serious bugs in 50 hours. Maybe I was lucky, because I do know that my experience is not the same that everyone else will have, but it still feels a bit exaggerated.

I think this idea of "wait 1½ year for a GOTY version that might or might not fix some bugs that you might or might not experience" is a bit silly really. If you 200 games in your backlog already, sure, but if you don´t and has been hyped for the game since way before the release, then..........silly. :)

Fjordson

Buy this game. Incredible main game, incredible DLC. <3 New Vegas.

Wish I could get the Men in Black memory wipe and experience this fresh again.

Edit: For anyone wondering about the 360 version, it's rock solid now. 117 hours and counting, no issues.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
CecilRousso said:
Because you can buy the game later instead of before? I don´t really follow your reasoning there.

Because they come out with all the additional DLC packed in at a much better value soon after.

chandoog said:
Because they come out with all the additional DLC packed in at a much better value soon after.

Yeah ok, if you want to save a few bucks, sure. I myself rather not wait 1½ year to save those. :)

chandoog said:

Bethesda games are also terribly unstable and buggy upon release. The game should be perfectly playable now.

I am actually thinking of holding off on skyrim and getting it after it gets DLC, plenty of patches that it will need and a sale.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Gravijah said:
anyone have any idea how the dlc is going to work? will it install or are you required to use this disc?

If it's like Fallout 3 or Oblivion GoTY dlc's, you install them, then run the base game to access them all like you would if you'd download them off Live/PSN.

Grayman

i was hoping this would be out by christmas and on a steam sale. Definitely picking it up one day, i avoided all the DLC waiting for a complete package.

Duki said:
honest hearts was fucking garbage

not only did it completely ruin the burned man but the best fucking part of it was reading some shit about a badass old guy on some computer terminals

how the fuck is that the highlight of your dlc

smh obsidian

getout.gif

Joshua Graham was the best character in the DLC for me, the dude was a boss. What the heck are you talking about?

bill gonorrhea said:

If playing on PC (and for the above reasons this REALLY is a game you should try and play on PC), then this here is worth getting.

InfiniDragon said:
Joshua Graham was the best character in the DLC for me, the dude was a boss. What the heck are you talking about?

I'd definitely agree that Honest Hearts was at least a missed opportunity. It really could have done with being the setting for a whole new game, and what resulted seems rushed and borderline incoherent at times. There's a ton of really interesting ideas in there that never really get developed properly and in the end the fate of Joshua Graham - the terrifying burned man even the thought of whom keeps legionaries awake at night and haunts even Caesar himself - amounts to pretty much nothing. Still, lovely scenery!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
speedpop said:
Kinda glad I did not jump on to the Fallout 3 & New Vegas train as of yet.
Huh? FO3's GOTY Edition has been available for quite some time, they're long done with adding DLC to that game.

I admit I've been a bit skeptical about this game. I decided to test the waters by playing Fallout 3 instead and ended up being thoroughly blown away with it. I then watched a bit of footage from New Vegas and it's amazing how both games seem to differ in feel and atmosphere. F3 seems more oppressive down to the greenish tint of everything while New Vegas seems to have a more mellow feel to it, although I could also be completely wrong about this, of course!

Needless to say I really have a hankerin' for some New Vegas now but knowing Bethesda's track record with the PS3, I'm gonna have to wait for some impressions on how well the Ultimate edition performs, the wait is going to kill me. :/

I admit I've been a bit skeptical about this game. I decided to test the waters by playing Fallout 3 instead and ended up being thoroughly blown away with it. I then watched a bit of footage from New Vegas and it's amazing how both games seem to differ in feel and atmosphere. F3 seems more oppressive down to the greenish tint of everything while New Vegas seems to have a more mellow feel to it, although I could also be completely wrong about this, of course!

Needless to say I really have a hankerin' for some New Vegas now but knowing Bethesda's track record with the PS3, I'm gonna have to wait for some impressions on how well the Ultimate edition performs, the wait is going to kill me. :/

While New Vegas isn't as 'mellow' as you think, you are correct in that there is a very different tone compared to 3. The Capital Wasteland in 3 is much emptier and the pockets of civilization are just that, pockets with no real connection to each other while the pockets of civilization in New Vegas are much more connected and the Mojave feels a bit more 'lived-in'. There is a significant period of time between the two games and the bombs didn't directly hit the Mojave and you can really tell. There isn't the despair or the same fight for survival in NV so I suppose it is mellower in that regard.

Top Bottom