• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

ghibli99

Sorry for jumping into this thread so late, but I've been in my Bayonetta 1 & 2 cave for the past several weeks. I loved DQ9, mainly for the postgame... is this similar?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Sorry for jumping into this thread so late, but I've been in my Bayonetta 1 & 2 cave for the past several weeks. I loved DQ9, mainly for the postgame... is this similar?

I think of it as DQ9 if they went with the original action-RPG slant they intended, just easier, with an even simpler story, and more involved crafting elements. I don't think anything really compares to the high level legacy bosses from DQ9 in terms of difficulty, but some of the DLC enemies/bosses can be challenging.

I wouldn't wish getting Cooking to Legend Rank without the DLC on anybody. So tedious. No good meat dish to cook since you can't just buy Dragon Meat either.

Tailoring is almost as bad.

You aren't lying. I made it to hero on cook but switched to something else afterwards so I didn't notice the quests for that level of cooking. Who thought having each skill for cooking to get to level 15 is fun. That's just tedious and lazy.

I haven't even started tailoring. ;-;

Niraj

You aren't lying. I made it to hero on cook but switched to something else afterwards so I didn't notice the quests for that level of cooking. Who thought having each skill for cooking to get to level 15 is fun. That's just tedious and lazy.

I haven't even started tailoring. ;-;

On a positive note, you only have to get sewing up to 15 for tailor. Same with alchemist, just have to get alchemy up to 15. But yeah, the cooking one is ridiculous.

On a positive note, you only have to get sewing up to 15 for tailor. Same with alchemist, just have to get alchemy up to 15. But yeah, the cooking one is ridiculous.

Yeah those are better, but honestly I don't even have one skill at level 15. I played the hell out of this game too. I'm about to be legend for about 5-6 lives now . These crafting ones are going to be the death of me .

Pro Tip: Wear the crown the comes with the Princely armor set (obtained via password) while crafting to gain crafting levels much faster. (Edit: Apparently this only affects your character level, and not the skill level. :/)

All true. I'm 90h in and only just completed the story because I could not deal with the bore that it is. Even the banter gets tiresome after a while. Yeas, it's a magnificently translated game, kudos all around, but it's a striking case of "not knowing when to stop". Pacing is atrocious, quests are dull and the whole thing is downed by waves upon waves of text. What was fun in the first five hours really isn't after 80h.

Anyways, I still think it's a great game. Storytelling just isn't what makes it so. Ambiance, universe and the sheer amount of challenges to tackle do. But without innovation to cut down on repetitiveness and a better story, I won't be going into FL2 (if that ever happens). I feel that this one was satisfying enough.
But how much of that 90 hours was the story sections? If It's anything like my file, it would be a very small amount.

I'm 80 hours in and I can say confidently that not even 10 hours of that has been the story quests. So that's why I don't have such harsh feelings towards the abundance of text during those segments. The rest of the game is extremely light on any character interaction, so you spend a great deal of time doing whatever you want. I like having the chatty parts to break that up. Of course it could be streamlined and improved, but I'm enjoying it as is.

Seems like Oxx figured it out but here's the list of all the Life masters/representatives in the world. They all have something to say to you after you rank up (they'll have a speech bubble with a question mark in it), a lot of the times giving you an extra quest or expressing their desire to accompany you in your adventures.
This list has some errors and omissions BTW. Make sure to read the entire topic to get the correct info.

Zing

Banned
Yeah the story is probably three hours total? Even less if you hold X the whole time. I found that I actually enjoyed the story more if I just allowed the text to crawl at normal speed.

Grizzo

The main quest can last 1 hour or 10, for me it doesn't really matter: if it's bad, it's bad. It almost turned me away from the game so I would say it's a pretty major flaw to me (and I insist on that "to me" part because I totally get that some people actually liked the story!)

The main quest can last 1 hour or 10, for me it doesn't really matter: if it's bad, it's bad. It almost turned me away from the game so I would say it's a pretty major flaw to me (and I insist on that "to me" part because I totally get that some people actually liked the story!)
And that's totally fair. If you don't like something, you don't like it.

I'm glad you stuck with it though and discovered parts of the game you do enjoy.

Does anyone here think we'll ever see a Fantasy Life 2?
Yeah. It sold well in Japan and Europe. (Still waiting on US sales, but it's been charting well in the eShop.)

Level-5 loves to parlay any success into future titles, and this IP is ripe for expansion.

Maiar_m

Pro Tip: Wear the crown the comes with the Princely armor set (obtained via password) while crafting to gain crafting levels much faster.

But how much of that 90 hours was the story sections? If It's anything like my file, it would be a very small amount.

I'm 80 hours in and I can say confidently that not even 10 hours of that has been the story quests. So that's why I don't have such harsh feelings towards the abundance of text during those segments. The rest of the game is extremely light on any character interaction, so you spend a great deal of time doing whatever you want. I like having the chatty parts to break that up. Of course it could be streamlined and improved, but I'm enjoying it as is.

This list has some errors and omissions BTW. Make sure to read the entire topic to get the correct info.

Oh it's a drop in the 90 hours, I'm never saying it damaged my experience to the point I didn't want to play any longer, but each time I went in the story bits I did so because I really had to in order to extend the map, and it always felt like a chore. I'm however glad you found a way to enjoy the change of pace!

Kater

Banned
Not just too you... playing other games, other RPGs put it really into contrast for me. People were complaining about BDs story, but even that one was better. I am really hoping they listen to the journalists and the players criticism of the story and come up with a better one for a sequel.

By the way, I got a Cherry Blossom Orb (I think that was the name) but don't really know what it's used for. Anyone know in what recipe I can use it?

Niraj

Not just too you... playing other games, other RPGs put it really into contrast for me. People were complaining about BDs story, but even that one was better. I am really hoping they listen to the journalists and the players criticism of the story and come up with a better one for a sequel.

By the way, I got a Cherry Blossom Orb (I think that was the name) but don't really know what it's used for. Anyone know in what recipe I can use it?

Not too many things. Off the top of my head, I know gallant blade (think it's the longsword that gives +10 to vitality) is one.

Kater

Banned
Not too many things. Off the top of my head, I know gallant blade (think it's the longsword that gives +10 to vitality) is one.
Oh, +10 Vitality sounds useful enough. How does it work on weapons though, do you get the effect only in a fight or is it active as long as it is equipped (like armor or accessories).

Niraj

Oh, +10 Vitality sounds useful enough. How does it work on weapons though, do you get the effect only in a fight or is it active as long as it is equipped (like armor or accessories).

Same as everything else. I usually would equip one of those before doing blacksmith stuff.

how am i supposed to get to Lengendary hunter when i need 2300 stars and only have quests left for 800. I have revisited every town looking for more quests.

Grizzo

I got the sweetest surprise ever waiting for me at the office today:

imagexuesb.jpg

Nintendo's french PR agency sent me some cute Fantasy Life fridge magnets

(I also got Bayonetta 1&2 and Sonic Boom but I'm afraid to play the latter, haha)

Kater

Banned
Same as everything else. I usually would equip one of those before doing blacksmith stuff.
That's exactly what I was intending to do, would make it easier to craft without God items to make at least Top Quality stuff.

(I also got Bayonetta 1&2 and Sonic Boom but I'm afraid to play the latter, haha)
Those are really sweet. I'm jealous! 😞

Linius

These look really cool man.

Sagitario

Quick question:
I'm level 40, expert miner and woodcutter. How long do I have to wait (or what do I have to do) to be able to cut/mine the pine trees and ores in Mt. Snowpeak, the Enormous Ancient Fossil in the Cave of Bones, the Dragon Scab from Lava Cave, etc.? I'm using a Sugar Axe and a Gold Pickaxe and doing 0 damage.

Quick question:
I'm level 40, expert miner and woodcutter. How long do I have to wait (or what do I have to do) to be able to cut/mine the pine trees and ores in Mt. Snowpeak, the Enormous Ancient Fossil in the Cave of Bones, the Dragon Scab from Lava Cave, etc.? I'm using a Sugar Axe and a Gold Pickaxe and doing 0 damage.

I had the same problem, you need to make sure you have the right stats and equipment for the job. I spread out my stats between str, dex and vit and I am able to cut down/ mine just about everything at this point. you will also need to get your mining and woodcutting skill up and make the the best equipment. I think you will need at least the next pikaxe/axe to be able to even damage them.

Niraj

Thats one of the only ones i got.

Hmm. Are you sure you talked to everyone? There's that dude in the western grassy plains who is easy to miss. I think there's 3-4 people in Castele, one in Port Puerto, and one in Al Maajik as well. I would check your quest list and see how many quests you're missing for Hunter, that way it can be narrowed down easier. If it's just one or two, I think the thunderbird quest gives around 1000 stars if you haven't done that.

Oxx

I've been playing the Origin Island stuff for a good while now, but I only just discovered a part of the map!

Quick question:

I was able to gather the stuff at Mt. Snowpeak at around level 40 or so. Only had 20 in strength, wearing the Savage gear set and only had probably the Pine Axe and Pickaxe?

I did had like a level 7 or 8 in Mining and Woodcutting though and I was only doing like single digit damage normally >_>

So it could easily be gear, skill level, stats or life bonuses?

Probably can't touch any of those big things yet though.

Hmm. Are you sure you talked to everyone? There's that dude in the western grassy plains who is easy to miss. I think there's 3-4 people in Castele, one in Port Puerto, and one in Al Maajik as well. I would check your quest list and see how many quests you're missing for Hunter, that way it can be narrowed down easier. If it's just one or two, I think the thunderbird quest gives around 1000 stars if you haven't done that.

thunderbird is done and the quest log show no more unknown quests. I'm stumped!

Sagitario

Pro Tip: Wear the crown the comes with the Princely armor set (obtained via password) while crafting to gain crafting levels much faster.
Thanks! Any more tips like this one?

I was able to gather the stuff at Mt. Snowpeak at around level 40 or so. Only had 20 in strength, wearing the Savage gear set and only had probably the Pine Axe and Pickaxe?
I did had like a level 7 or 8 in Mining and Woodcutting though and I was only doing like single digit damage normally >_>
So it could easily be gear, skill level, stats or life bonuses?
Probably can't touch any of those big things yet though.
I had the same problem, you need to make sure you have the right stats and equipment for the job. I spread out my stats between str, dex and vit and I am able to cut down/ mine just about everything at this point. you will also need to get your mining and woodcutting skill up and make the the best equipment. I think you will need at least the next pikaxe/axe to be able to even damage them.
I see. I have Mining at level 10, so I guess I messed up the stat distribution... dammit! :\

What are these passwords, of which you speak?
Here's a list of all of them, for all regions. (Note: PAL & NA passwords are different.) They are supposed to be released by NoA, NoE, etc, but they've been reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally slow about it, NoA especially. NoA didn't even release the Halloween passwords this year, which I don't understand at all. Anyway, all you need to do is enter them in at the Post Office in Castele and you'll get a bunch of awesome and unique items. (So don't sell them, because you can only get them once, unless someone trades you theirs.)

The Princely Outfit in particular:
PAL: Princely threads NA: Not charming

Thanks! Any more tips like this one?
If you're not in the end game DLC yet, a combination of the Butler and Princely set is amazing. You'll be getting EXP and Friendship Points in droves.

Butler set:
PAL: At your service NA: Butting in

I wear pretty much the entire Princely set while adding the Butler gloves. (I'll sometimes swap the Princely shoes for the Butler shoes.)

darkosfenix

Neo Member
Just make the best stuff you can, or just pick something simple with ingredients you can purchase and make them over and over. Try Umbral robes or hoods, those are what I did.

Thank you, I'll just farm mana so I can make them. I want to became legendary in every class before finishing the DLC story, except for cooker if I find it annoying

Laconic

Banned
Here's a list of all of them, for all regions. (Note: PAL & NA passwords are different.) They are supposed to be released by NoA, NoE, etc, but they've been reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally slow about it (NoA) especially. NoA didn't even release the Halloween passwords this year, which I don't understand at all. Anyway, all you need to do is enter them in at the Post Office in Castele and you'll get a bunch of awesome and unique items. (So don't sell them, because you can only get them once, unless someone trades you theirs.)

The Princely Outfit in particular:
PAL: Princely threads NA: Not charming

If you're not in the end game DLC yet, a combination of the Butler and Princely set is amazing. You'll be getting EXP and Friendship Points in droves.

Butler set:
PAL: At your service NA: Butting in

I wear pretty much the entire Princely set while adding the Butler gloves. (I'll sometimes swap the Princely shoes for the Butler shoes.)

Thank you.

Much obliged.

Niraj

Thank you, I'll just farm mana so I can make them. I want to became legendary in every class before finishing the DLC story, except for cooker if I find it annoying

If you have the DLC, you can buy shadow mana in the Starlight Garden. Might make it easier for you.

On another note:

zlCfzSq8LSco4_XNc-

Thought it would be appropriate to finish things up as I began, as an angler catching a fish. I had gotten all skills to 20 already, so getting to level 200 was the last thing I really wanted to accomplish, so that's basically the end for me. I obviously really enjoyed my time with the game, and I hope we get a future iteration someday. I'm happy to have finished just in time for Smash Wii U, and I probably won't play much anymore, but if anyone ever needs a hand or anything, feel free to ask :)

Thank you.

Much obliged.
No problem. :)

If you have the DLC, you can buy shadow mana in the Starlight Garden. Might make it easier for you.

On another note:

zlCfzSq8LSco4_XNc-

Thought it would be appropriate to finish things up as I began, as an angler catching a fish. I had gotten all skills to 20 already, so getting to level 200 was the last thing I really wanted to accomplish, so that's basically the end for me. I obviously really enjoyed my time with the game, and I hope we get a future iteration someday. I'm happy to have finished just in time for Smash Wii U, and I probably won't play much anymore, but if anyone ever needs a hand or anything, feel free to ask :)
Aw, that's too bad. Though obviously kudos for totally owning everything in the game.

I'm gonna miss our late night applause sessions though. ;_;

Zing

Banned
Ok. I praised the story before, but I'm doing chapter six and this shit is unbearable. It is making me want to just shut the game off and not bother playing again. I am running from red dot to red dot doing mundane tasks and being led around arbitrarily. It isn't fun in the slightest.

Completed the last of the "Other Requests" today. All that's left is to do a few more of the Special Requests from the Life masters and then I can proceed at my own pace. Feels good, man.

Kater

Banned

On another note:

zlCfzSq8LSco4_XNc-

Ak7C6.gif

Goodbye Niraj (if that means goodbye) and thanks for all the insight you provided. See you around, somewhere else on the board. 😉

Daouzin

I'd love to see a Fantasy Life Online.

Does anyone here think we'll ever see a Fantasy Life 2?

I hope so, I'm only 10 hours in but enjoying it a lot, I convinced 3 of my friends to get it too so I successfully moved 4 more units.

They have all played it a lot more than me, but I have a Smash problem.

Niraj

Aw, that's too bad. Though obviously kudos for totally owning everything in the game.

I'm gonna miss our late night applause sessions though. ;_;

I'm always applauding in my heart.

Ak7C6.gif

Goodbye Niraj (if that means goodbye) and thanks for all the insight you provided. See you around, somewhere else on the board. 😉

I'll still post here of course :) just won't play really unless somebody needs a hand.

Top Bottom