• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Sagitario

So, is magician supposed to be hard [annoying] mode?
SP is never enough and the adept missions require to defeat the elemental wraiths... what the heck is up with that?

daydream

Banned
SP is never enough and the adept missions require to defeat the elemental wraiths... what the heck is up with that?

The wraiths are too hard for the rank you get them on (I posted about this, as well). I was two ranks above adept and had, up to that point, put all my points in intelligence and I *barely* beat the wraith in Elderwood. It was a war of attrition and I can't recommend it to anyone. Do it in co-op with other GAFfers or wait till later.

I love Magician, though. The class just gets better and better and you'll be destroying stuff later on.

Sagitario

The wraiths are too hard for the rank you get them on (I posted about this, as well). I was two ranks above adept and had, up to that point, put all my points in intelligence and I *barely* beat the wraith in Elderwood. It was a war of attrition and I can't recommend it to anyone. Do it in co-op with other GAFfers or wait till later.

I love Magician, though. The class just gets better and better and you'll be destroying stuff later on.

I was able to beat the one in Elderwood using Odin and Magnificus as companions. But the one in the Lava Cave was impossible last night (I'm level 31) :(

daydream

Banned
I was able to beat the one in Elderwood using Odin and Magnificus as companions. But the one in the Lava Cave was impossible last night (I'm level 31) :(

Ah, you had better companions than me, I guess that would make it easier, haha. But yeah, there's different tiers of wraiths and the lava one is definitely harder. Gotta come back later! (I wanted to get those done asap so I did it in co-op.)

Also, you'll be laughing about how easy these once fearsome foes are once you get stronger. :D

Ok for real what do I have to do to just get one rainbow trout. I'm in the 60's as a hero angler with luck base of 40. It's one of the two things I have left for that life before legend, but it's just not coming.

You don't really need to do the hard challenges right away, there's more points than you need until you hit hero, at which point you need to complete everything possible to hit legendary. And if you're not playing in multi, you definitely want companions, preferably good ones. There's major differences in power between them, in general the later you unlock them, the better they are.

Magician might be rough though, I don't know I really liked it at God rank, but I leveled as Hunter/Merc and only played Magician for the endgame so I skipped most stuff, most of the wraiths got one shot by my companions when I was clearing the challenges.

Zing

Banned
I was also going to say that any challenges that are too difficult arent even required to rank up, so just do the ones you can and come back later if you like.

I mastered Angler and Paladin today. Looks like I need to progress the story to work more on miner or blacksmith. I'm on chapter six.

Adamator

Looking to exchange some friend codes and try multiplayer sometime.

My code is 4441-8318-5739.

I have the DLC. PLEASE PM me if you add me.

I live in California and usually play in the evening. I think I'm level 20 currently, but his vent advanced the stort very far.

Have fun!

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Took a break from leveling skills and got around to getting the six fish prints I didn't have:

zlCfzSqeJb47oHUFoF

The gold ones are cool.

TI82

Banned
Lol, just became a hunter master. That song was absurd.

I haven't really been doing story mode it bores me. Too much dialogue. I got to where I can go into the desert and thats it.

Oxx

Chasing down these last few blacksmith recipes/quests has been the least enjoyable part of the game so far. At least I know what I should be doing if I need to level the other lives up.

Now I can't find where to get the legendary recipes.

darkosfenix

Neo Member
Finally bought the DLC!
I almost feel like it was a mistake, because now there is even more and more stuff to do, but I think later: "Who cares? This game is awesome *__________* "
I'll truly dive in the DLC story after getting legendary in everything, at least all except for cooker

Chasing down these last few blacksmith recipes/quests has been the least enjoyable part of the game so far. At least I know what I should be doing if I need to level the other lives up.

Now I can't find where to get the legendary recipes.

There's no legendary recipe I think. Legendary was simply the maximum rank you achieved in the original game. If you have the DLC, you need to go talk to
Divinus, who will let you become God-in-Training and give you a bunch of new recipes and a handful of challenges to get God rank(the blacksmith ones are probably the worst, cause you need to craft SO MANY THINGS).

Is there any supertopsecret of making top quality stuff (aside from equipment and skill level)? I'm master carpenter and still cannot make top quality Scarecrow.

Zing

Banned
I'm OCD enough to count to 12.
I haven't even glanced at a walkthrough or anything, so I didn't even know there were only 12.

I've been running around for 30 minutes trying to find the Lunares Airship again. Zzzzzzzz

Edit: about a minute after writing this, I noticed the doorway behind the great spirit. Haha.

Is there any supertopsecret of making top quality stuff (aside from equipment and skill level)? I'm master carpenter and still cannot make top quality Scarecrow.

Skill level is the big one. Specifically the specialized skill for the item type you're trying to make(furniture in this case), which increases crit chance a lot. Find something that uses all storebought mats and is a High level recipe of a difficulty as high as possible and make like 15 of them, you'll make some money(even if you buy everything) and you'll probably get 2-3level ups, maybe more if you're really low, which would make it a lot easier to get a Top quality Scarecrow. But yeah, that quest took me a while to do too, I was master and needed quite a few tries before I got it right(which happened right after I got a level up from failling several times).

La Poisse

Neo Member

I personally just beat them all with a one-handed sword and a shield. Some of them you can use as a Wizard, and it was much easier that way.

Zing

Banned
I've also gotten in the habit of eating relevant food just before attempting a crafting session. I'm not sure how long it lasts, though.

Oxx

There's no legendary recipe I think. Legendary was simply the maximum rank you achieved in the original game. If you have the DLC, you need to go talk to
Divinus, who will let you become God-in-Training and give you a bunch of new recipes and a handful of challenges to get God rank(the blacksmith ones are probably the worst, cause you need to craft SO MANY THINGS).

Oh yeah, I seem to remember him mentioning something about that. Or it might have been someone in this thread talking about it.

Either way, cheers.

adroit

Everyone probably already knows this but for cooking you can add an additional ingredient (which varies by recipe) to boost quality and/or quantity. I don't think additional ingredients do that for any other kind of crafting (they boost stats, not quality, as far as I can tell).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This is my Christmas gift. Do people confirm its quality? Its deepness? Is it suitable avso for gameplay sessions not so long?

tuffy

This is my Christmas gift. Do people confirm its quality? Its deepness? Is it suitable avso for gameplay sessions not so long?
I'd say it's a game with a great deal of breadth. There's a lot of different lives with a lot of different stuff to do in each one, but there's no complex skill trees or deep weapon mastery. There's ample save points and lists of what you have left to do, so it's easy to get tasks done and make progress even with a number of small play sessions.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'd say it's a game with a great deal of breadth. There's a lot of different lives with a lot of different stuff to do in each one, but there's no complex skill trees or deep weapon mastery. There's ample save points and lists of what you have left to do, so it's easy to get tasks done and make progress even with a number of small play sessions.

Great, mine next month! Thx!

I also found the combat to be surprisingly interesting, I had watched some reviews and what not but it was very hard to tell if combat was any good cause it was all low level players and what not, but each class has a few different combos based on timing, as well as a few different charged attacks(and magicians get 3 elements on top of that), so they play very differently from each other and it ends up being fairly interesting.

bobawesome

Just received the game from a friend. Not sure if I like the game or not. The humor is a big miss and the combat is boring. Hopefully the other lives are better than Mercenary.

I've been playing this game off and on since it came out.

For new players, I'd like to recommend you pick 3 or 4 lives and stick to them at the start of the game. Trying to master all the lives at once has diluted the experience for me.

Strategically it's best to pick a combat life, a crafting life, and a gathering life. The gathering life should complement your crafting life, so Woodcutter/Carpenter, Miner/Blacksmith, or Angler/Cook.

If you pick wizard as your combat class you'll also want to develop alchemist, and you should pick carpenter/woodcutter as your crafting and gathering classes because carpenters can make wands.

Mercs and Paladins should be miner/blacksmith for obvious reasons.

Tailor, angler, and cook are sort of useless lives unless you like role playing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wouldn't wish getting Cooking to Legend Rank without the DLC on anybody. So tedious. No good meat dish to cook since you can't just buy Dragon Meat either.

Tailoring is almost as bad.

Lol, just became a hunter master. That song was absurd.

I haven't really been doing story mode it bores me. Too much dialogue. I got to where I can go into the desert and thats it.
It is a shame because the characters are interesting, but the story is so cliche.
I am wasting time finishing the classes I ignored since I do not care about the story.

Played this for over 6 hours but this tryhard dialogue is bumming me out. I hate it every time Butterfly speaks. Why did they change his name from Flutter? Seriously thinking of selling this. Sigh.

Zing

Banned
I am at the end of the story. I enjoy the story, but honestly, you could hold X through the whole thing and not be worse off.

Zing

Banned
Just received the game from a friend. Not sure if I like the game or not. The humor is a big miss and the combat is boring. Hopefully the other lives are better than Mercenary.
In my experience, mercenary is the worst overall life for fun value. The challenges are tedious and lame. Definitely try miner or angler. They are just plain fun.

You can just hold 'X' to skip dialogue.

I know, but it just makes me pine for the simpler non-verbose charm of 16-bit RPG dialogue, even when it was badly translated. One to three lines of succinct dialogue, not these C grade Saturday morning cartoon scripts. Nowadays they put so much more effort into the translation, but it misses the mark by so much. Is the original Japanese writing to blame?

Milamber

I know, but it just makes me pine for the simpler non-verbose charm of 16-bit RPG dialogue, even when it was badly translated. One to three lines of succinct dialogue, not these C grade Saturday morning cartoon scripts. Nowadays they put so much more effort into the translation, but it misses the mark by so much. Is the original Japanese writing to blame?

I personally enjoy the terrible puns. Then again, I'm old.

It's still so weird to me to see people not liking the dialogue. Of course personal preference plays a part, and there there is a lot of text during the story, but it's so charming and goofy, which I think totally suits the game.

I remember the days of some god awful JRPG translations with atrocious edits and nonsensical dialogue. To see a script with so much care and attention put into it I think should be applauded. Yeah, the story is super by-the-numbers, but the characters and banter make it more than worthwhile to me. And the amount of non-story content in the game is astronomical, so I don't see the need to chide the game so much on the text heavy story portions, which make up less than 1/4 of the game's total content.

daydream

Banned
It's still so weird to me to see people not liking the dialogue. Of course personal preference plays a part, and there there is a lot of text during the story, but it's so charming and goofy, which I think totally suits the game.

I remember the days of some god awful JRPG translations with atrocious edits and nonsensical dialogue. To see a script with so much care and attention put into it I think should be applauded. Yeah, the story is super by-the-numbers, but the characters and banter make it more than worthwhile to me. And the amount of non-story content in the game is astronomical, so I don't see the need to chide the game so much on the text heavy story portions, which make up less than 1/4 of the game's total content.

Agreed. I wish someone wrote up a comparison piece for the EU English translation and the US, that'd be a very interesting read.

Also, I enjoyed the ending to the DLC not despite but *because of* its nonchalanat anticlimax. Game sticks to its guns with admirable conviction, haha.

Grizzo

Maybe it's just me, but I can't get past the cheesiness of the story. That "wishes" quest is so dull. And most of the characters use lots and lots of sentences to say something that could be summed up in a few words.

But most of all, it's those "orders" the game gives you during the main quest that bother me the most. "Just go there, three steps away!", "Alright now get out of that building", "Okay, we're good, now talk to the person next to the one you just talked to"...

Also, I absolutely don't care that "X joined my party" only to "leave my party" a few seconds later.

Maiar_m

Maybe it's just me, but I can't get past the cheesiness of the story. That "wishes" quest is so dull. And most of the characters use lots and lots of sentences to say something that could be summed up in a few words.

But most of all, it's those "orders" the game gives you during the main quest that bother me the most. "Just go there, three steps away!", "Alright now get out of that building", "Okay, we're good, now talk to the person next to the one you just talked to"...

Also, I absolutely don't care that "X joined my party" only to "leave my party" a few seconds later.

All true. I'm 90h in and only just completed the story because I could not deal with the bore that it is. Even the banter gets tiresome after a while. Yeas, it's a magnificently translated game, kudos all around, but it's a striking case of "not knowing when to stop". Pacing is atrocious, quests are dull and the whole thing is downed by waves upon waves of text. What was fun in the first five hours really isn't after 80h.

Anyways, I still think it's a great game. Storytelling just isn't what makes it so. Ambiance, universe and the sheer amount of challenges to tackle do. But without innovation to cut down on repetitiveness and a better story, I won't be going into FL2 (if that ever happens). I feel that this one was satisfying enough.

Way too much of this checkpointing / follow the red dot type stuff. The last JRPG I played was Dragon Warrior 3, and the difference is, understandably, astounding. But I'm surprised at how much I'd rather have the archaic style instead.

Just give me the overarching quest and let me go at things, not make me run all over town just to act out this children's story.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Guys, what is the best way to level up my sewing? It's the last challenge before legend for me

Just make the best stuff you can, or just pick something simple with ingredients you can purchase and make them over and over. Try Umbral robes or hoods, those are what I did.

Top Bottom