• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Woodcutter almost at master level!

zlCfzSn1dB4GDMTvkE

Where did you get this idea? The vast majority of challenges can be completed as any job. There are a few that will say "As a (job) do (this)…", mainly challenges to claim a particular bounty, but most are not like that. Even then, these bounty challenges are only when you turn in the bounty, so you could kill the monster as one job, then change to the required job before turning it in.
I don't know, man. I rolled Paladin, Merc, and Hunter two nights ago and it definitely seemed like the vast majority of the kill quests require you to be the specific class during combat, which requires pretty much four full tours of the game to level all of them.

This is bosses included in my experience. Wizard hit legend yesterday, and all actual boss requests fulfilled the request at death, not bounty. Spookies are the only ones i can think of that required bounties.

Man, I think I'm going to have to do this special request some other time. This fish is crazy.

Poseidon Swordfish?

It's easy if you enter God Mode at the start, then keep spamming X button moves.

(Same for any fish, I suppose, but more so this one since it angers every other second.)

tuffy

It seems like the developers vastly underestimated just how much multitasking players like to do. The expectation seems to be that players will pick a life, accomplish some stuff in that life and turn in those accomplishments before switching off to the next one. But the reality is that it's sometimes easier to get accomplishments for one life while in another - especially while exploring - so it'd be better to just get the rewards for them outright without having to switch to that life and report back to the master.

Zing

Banned
I don't know, man. I rolled Paladin, Merc, and Hunter two nights ago and it definitely seemed like the vast majority of the kill quests require you to be the specific class during combat, which requires pretty much four full tours of the game to level all of them.

This is bosses included in my experience. Wizard hit legend yesterday, and all actual boss requests fulfilled the request at death, not bounty. Spookies are the only ones i can think of that required bounties.
Oh I see now. All of the combat kill challenges require you to be that job. I guess I never noticed since I always explore as my combat job (paladin). I am not trying to do multiple combat jobs, so I guess I never noticed the conflict of interest.

Im not trying to blitz through the game, so I don't mind having to revisit prior areas. I do find the challenges that require you to wait for respawns a little off-putting. I mean, "kill 5 crocs" when only one appears each time you visit a cave is odd.

Grizzo

Really, though, required and awkward Life switches are this game's biggest design flaw. I can't believe someone decided it was a great idea to make someone switch to a specific Life before walking up to a bounty counter.

I would've designed it with

• quick-switch Lives in the field for when it actually matters
  • never require a specific Life for anything that doesn't involve controls, ever
Game's great and all, but switching Lives is a waste of time. It's great that you can warp to the counter, but then if you have to get back to where you were…

Exactly. Such a pain in the ass. Plus it can get really frustrating. The other day I brought a bounty to the clerk and the realized I had forgotten to switch to the correct life before handing it over...

I was really annoyed because that meant I just had to do that quest over again.

Zing

Banned
If you think visiting the counter is annoying to switch lives, wait until you play multiplayer and want to switch lives. You can't! You have to quit multiplayer, switch, then rejoin.

It's even worse if you are the multiplayer host, as you have to go shut down the multiplayer networking first, switch, then restart the multiplayer process.

How often do most people switch to a different life? I'm taking my time on the game but I'm around 8 hours in
Chapter 2: On top of Snowpeak Mountain in the Royal Cabin
and haven't switched to a different life. I'm level 14 already and I'm wondering if it would have been optimum to switch lives already.

I'm loving the game and when I'm not playing I can't wait to get back to playing.

BooJoh

Honestly I think the way it works is good, but gathering jobs shouldn't require that life for any quests. If I'm in a cave full of monsters, you can bet I'm a Mercenary. I don't like that I have to make an extra trip back as a miner and woodcutter for bounty quests.

As for combat jobs, I like that the quests require the job because it means when I finally get around to playing the other 3 combat jobs I'll have more to do with them, instead of switching and already having a bunch of kill quests finished from when I leveled up Merc.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Poseidon Swordfish?

It's easy if you enter God Mode at the start, then keep spamming X button moves.

(Same for any fish, I suppose, but more so this one since it angers every other second.)

I didn't even think about that. I was just trying to do it normally lol. I'll try that today, thanks.

Chaos17

I think you should be glad to be able to change life and do all of them without any nerf because in any other type of game like this (mmorpg), you would've been limited in picking the job you want and forced to reroll. Also, quick teleports like in this game do not usually exist too (ex:direct tp to master and guild), so be thankfull that the devs were nice enough to put them.

Maiar_m

I think you should be glad to be able to change life and do all of them without any nerf because in any other type of game like this (mmorpg), you would've been limited in picking the job you want and forced to reroll. Also, quick teleports like in this game do not usually exist too (ex:direct tp to master and guild), so be thankfull that the devs were nice enough to put them.

I get what you're saying and there is no question Lvl 5 did a great job, but it doesn't mean it couldn't have done better. Tradition doesn't make right. A frustrating game pattern that's always been there in a genre doesn't make the genre more flavorful. They were right to challenge it, and I hope they challenge it even further next time. I will then again give them all my monies.

Personally, I think Life switching is fine as it is - instant switching would diminish the idea of different professions.
I would actually prefer a way for non-combat Lives to, well, stay non-combat - to avoid monsters (sneaking could be actually useful!) and get into caves and such without killing anyone.

Maiar_m

Personally, I think Life switching is fine as it is - instant switching would diminish the idea of different professions.
I would actually prefer a way for non-combat Lives to, well, stay non-combat - to avoid monsters (sneaking could be actually useful!) and get into caves and such without killing anyone.

Yep, there's something to say for the whole "return to the guild" thing as well. It depends how you role-play I guess.

I do agree that sneaking could be more useful, combat or not. Imagine a "ninja" or "thief" class where sneaking up on enemies grant you damage bonus / thievery or whatever. That'd be a kick.

VandalD

Sneaking.. yeah, I was wondering if anyone found an actual use for it. There are situations where paths are blocked off until you kill enemies, and then most enemies quickly lose interest in chasing you as you run past anyway, and you can't easily sneak while you have a bounty. The hunter tutorial mentions sneaking up to enemies to attack them. Maybe you get bonus damage on enemies that haven't noticed you? Still a pretty lame skill.
How often do most people switch to a different life? I'm taking my time on the game but I'm around 8 hours in
Chapter 2: On top of Snowpeak Mountain in the Royal Cabin
and haven't switched to a different life. I'm level 14 already and I'm wondering if it would have been optimum to switch lives already.

I'm loving the game and when I'm not playing I can't wait to get back to playing.
I basically stuck to one combat life (Paladin) and focused on mining and smithing, but also got at least a novice license in all the other gathering and crafting lives. Smithing and carpentry have a bit of material co-dependence, and it made sense to me to craft things instead of buy them. It's optimal to switch often, IMO, but don't feel like you have to do it to accomplish things in your chosen life.

Sneaking.. yeah, I was wondering if anyone found an actual use for it. There are situations where paths are blocked off until you kill enemies, and then most enemies quickly lose interest in chasing you as you run past anyway, and you can't easily sneak while you have a bounty. The hunter tutorial mentions sneaking up to enemies to attack them. Maybe you get bonus damage on enemies that haven't noticed you? Still a pretty lame skill.

I basically stuck to one combat life (Paladin) and focused on mining and smithing, but also got at least a novice license in all the other gathering and crafting lives. Smithing and carpentry have a bit of material co-dependence, and it made sense to me to craft things instead of buy them. It's optimal to switch often, IMO, but don't feel like you have to do it to accomplish things in your chosen life.

Thanks for the response. I'm also a Paladin and hate walking by materials I can't get because I need to have skills from another job, lol. I hope the game stays as enjoyable as it is now.

Oxx

Honestly, the ability to warp straight to the guild and the master makes it pretty painless.

But it still feels a bit of a chore coming back from gathering, switching to blacksmith, and then switching to another life to go back out again.

Lexxism

I think I've read that you can get it from Cacto Cove, but I'm not sure since I haven't been there.

I get them from farming the Subterranean Cavern. There are a bunch of spiders there and they drop a Pink Silk 2/3 of the time.
Isn't it only Pink Silk thread? Thats what I'm at least getting.

Ellix

^ The only places that sell Pink Silk is Cacto Cove, and the parrot in Tailor master's house (Port Puerto) when you are Master Tailor.

I feel so guilty collecting
scales from Napdragon, especially after that whole thing when we were trying to save it. Also the fact that you could raid her nest and beat up the baby dragons to steal their strawberries...

I know a lot of people are using the DLC re-specialization as a crutch to min/maxing stats, but I can't imagine leaving any stat at the starting value of 5 would be a good idea. The stats are so broad in what they effect, that it almost seems as though it shouldn't matter where you assign your points. A single stat point I'm anything gives at least .5 boost to most of the jobs. You are awash in spec points and dumping them all into a few stats seems like overkill.

Initially I was afraid that if my stats were too spread out early on that it'd force me to grind more (like in some other RPGs). My primary stat would be Dex, then secondarily Str, thirdly Vit and Luck, lastly Int and Focus. I'll just wait to try crafting later when I've leveled up and placed a few points into Focus/Int. On the bright side, I finally got the Superior Juicy Burger after another few tries. The fact that the result is split between only lowest quality or highest quality baffles me.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What's the point of Bugs? I haven't found a use for them yet, beyond a Fetch Quest.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Do you actually have to be a miner to get gems from ore deposits? I'm stuck on Adept miner because the challenges are to get rubies/aquamarines/etc from fairly low-level ore deposits, but I never get any, even when I overkill the node for 80-100 points of extra damage as the final hit. The only thing I haven't tried is to actually go back into those caves and try them as a miner.

Niraj

What's the point of Bugs? I haven't found a use for them yet, beyond a Fetch Quest.

You can sell them, that's about it aside from the quests.

Do you actually have to be a miner to get gems from ore deposits? I'm stuck on Adept miner because the challenges are to get rubies/aquamarines/etc from fairly low-level ore deposits, but I never get any, even when I overkill the node for 80-100 points of extra damage as the final hit. The only thing I haven't tried is to actually go back into those caves and try them as a miner.

No, you can get them as anything.

Zing

Banned
I'm not sure if mining skill plays any part or the amount of "overkill". Based on my many attempts to get rare gems, I believe as long as you get "excellent", it comes down to pure luck. By that I mean your luck stat.

Just keep trying and boost your luck using a durable charm and some level ups.

As far as I know, if you are a Miner, you'll get 1 additional item from node. So your chances of gems are slightly better as a result.

Grizzo

Honestly I think the way it works is good, but gathering jobs shouldn't require that life for any quests. If I'm in a cave full of monsters, you can bet I'm a Mercenary. I don't like that I have to make an extra trip back as a miner and woodcutter for bounty quests.

But you don't have to do that. You can just cut or mine as a Mercenary, get the bounty (still as a Mercenary) and then just switch to the Woodcutter or Miner life right before handing over the bounty to the clerk and you're good.

LOL, I had a great reputation with ACNL that I cannot just drop this avatar. EVAR. <3 Miss you guys too!

But yeah, I've been busy of the late. Going back to work is one, volunteering at an animal shelter is another, and of course playing this. :D

And I wouldn't be surprised at the AC influx here, I'd imagine majority of them are 3DS owners are in here are included.

I just wish there's a gardener job in this game otherwise I'd OWN. :D :D :D

Oh yeah, I have one minor gripe, you cannot get achievements outside of your combat job in another combat job? :\ Aka I'd be rolling as a wizard and I find out I cannot get achievement for killing Carrotarita as a wizard when it was meant for Merc?.
OMG ='D Philia's back, and yeah it's annoying that you can't get the achievement for killing whatever without using the specific class =/

On a side note anything you guys want me to update to OP? Haven't kept up to my own OTs lol, sorry had to prepare work stuff =P
It's annoying that we can't switch lives in multiplayer mode. But oh well.
Let's hope you can do that in the sequel and play story missions with friends.

Kater

Banned
It's annoying that we can't switch lives in multiplayer mode. But oh well.
It's a major flaw of the multiplayer and I don't get why that couldn't make it into the game. Oh, and I also don't understand why time freezes when you are in multiplayer.

It's a major flaw of the multiplayer and I don't get why that couldn't make it into the game. Oh, and I also don't understand why time freezes when you are in multiplayer.

Probably so the NPC/enemies doesn't move around whilst people are in each other games, it's weird. Hopefully easily fixed in a sequel.

Kater

Banned
Probably so the NPC/enemies doesn't move around whilst people are in each other games, it's weird. Hopefully easily fixed in a sequel.
NPCs are available to talk to all the time though, doesn't matter if it's night or day. Maybe some bugs occured for when the game changes from night to day, or when someone switched lives when they tested the game and so they left if out.

Anyway, hope they fix that in the sequel.

I'm not holding my breath for a sequel.
Why? It's not as successful as as a new IP for Level-5 as Prof. Layton, but that doesn't mean that they can't make a sequel.

Stupid question, but how do you see what the quests are for other Lives than the one you currently are?

Also I'm currently an apprentice Miner and I can't mine anything for any of my quests because I do zero damage. I leveled up my mining skill, bought a better pickaxe, and added some points to strength, but I still can't do it. What am I missing here?

Niraj

Stupid question, but how do you see what the quests are for other Lives than the one you currently are?

Also I'm currently an apprentice Miner and I can't mine anything for any of my quests because I do zero damage. I leveled up my mining skill, bought a better pickaxe, and added some points to strength, but I still can't do it. What am I missing here?

Hit quests, then Y for licenses, then press A on whichever Life you wanted to look at.

You just might not be high enough, depends what it is. What ores are you trying to mine?

Hit quests, then Y for licenses, then press A on whichever Life you wanted to look at.

You just might not be high enough, depends what it is. What ores are you trying to mine?

I don't remember the exact name, but all the ore in the waterfall cave and the snowy mountain.

Zing

Banned

Go into the menu, select licenses, then you can see the challenges for any life you choose by pressing X (if I recall correctly).

colinp

Banned
Alright, sorry if this has been answered already. I'm loving the game but feeling a bit overwhelmed. I am a hunter and just started chapter 1. Am I correct that I can switch to woodcutter just to get the ability to cut trees and then switch back to hunter...? Or should I get woodcutter up to a certain rank before switching back...?

Ventara

Alright, sorry if this has been answered already. I'm loving the game but feeling a bit overwhelmed. I am a hunter and just started chapter 1. Am I correct that I can switch to woodcutter just to get the ability to cut trees and then switch back to hunter...? Or should I get woodcutter up to a certain rank before switching back...?

You're correct, you can do that. You have to finish the story tutorial for it, but the game gives you the option to skip that. Also, if you've started Chapter 1, you can't start a new Life until you've finished it (you can still switch to Lives you've already started, just not start one that you haven't).

colinp

Banned
You're correct, you can do that. You have to finish the story tutorial for it, but the game gives you the option to skip that. Also, if you've started Chapter 1, you can't start a new Life until you've finished it (you can still switch to Lives you've already started, just not start one that you haven't).

Ah ok! Great, thanks! I'll finish chapter 1 first and then switch around.

Niraj

I don't remember the exact name, but all the ore in the waterfall cave and the snowy mountain.

If you're talking about the platinum ore on Mt Snowpeak, you probably will have to come back and do that later. Those are actually master challenge ores. Depending on your strength/etc you should be able to do the iron ones in the waterfall cave, but probably not the wingstone. Maybe try eating some food that raises your strength and focus/vitality before you start mining in the waterfall cave, and make sure to hit the sweet spots. If it's still a no go, you might just have to get a better pickaxe, but it's difficult to say without specifics.

Oxx

It sold pretty well. But Youkai Watch sold a lot better and clearly that (along with phones) is where L5's priorities lie.

Then again, it has been less than two years since FL came out in Japan, so I guess it hasn't been too long.

Not sure if 1-up studio have done much else since.

Eteric Rice

It would be stupid to put all of their eggs into one basket though.

I hope making games for cell phones doesn't mean they'll stop making games for handhelds and consoles. Phone games are so... Lame usually. :(

KiTA

So... what's everyone's favorite weapon type? I started as an alchemist so my int is pretty high (1 point of int per level keeping everything else about even) so Wands are a pretty good fit, but I'm enjoying Sword and Shield too. Claymore and Bow... eh... targeting was a bit odd.

Top Bottom