• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Kater

Banned
Finally made it to God rank as a Tailor.

I started out like this a month ago:

tumblr_n9r10eQ9g61s2wio8o1_500.gif

And now I surpassed everyone, and Chic is so jealous, he won't even leave Madam Purls house anymore. 😪

Ellix

I'm late in posting here but I've been hooked on the game for a while! I've been playing all the classes at the same time, except for the combat classes where I'm focusing on Hunter. Most of them are at Master and I haven't even started Chapter 5.

I seem to have hit a wall in Cooking and Alchemy due to the fact that I haven't put any points into Intelligence or Focus. Having the best tool and acing the minigame doesn't seem to be enough anymore. Whenever I craft in those jobs, I'm almost always getting regular (non-good) quality on anything higher than Adept (or anything Adept High-Level).

There's this quest where I have to cook a Superior Juicy Burger (which I think is Adept) and I've tried so many times but can only get regular quality (and then the game taunts me by saying I get a duplicate of the crappy item). So apparently I'm a Master-level Chef who can't even cook a decent Juicy Burger.

Wait, you need Luck in this game? FFS.. I thought it would be one of those useless stats.

That was my assumption too so I had Luck left at 5 for a long time. When I realized I spent an hour just to find some scales from a regular enemy, I did some reading on it and it turns out Luck has a noticeable impact in the game. I had it upped to 25 afterwards (now 30) and seem to be doing okay thus far for drops, and I get Critical Hits a lot more.

Yeah, shops seem like a waste of cash...and building/finding stuff is more fun!

I guess the most important monetary investment is housing, right?

When you're managing multiple Lives at once, buying materials if you can is much more convenient than finding them. Plus money isn't really an issue.

It's already an effort to find materials around God Rank and I don't want to bother foraging around for a load of simple materials.

For example, starry thread is only available at night and dropped by one caterpillar in the whole map. Or you could buy it from the nearby salesplush.

If you've only got a few Lives and are at low rank, it's much easier and even recommended to get materials yourself.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Man, I think I'm going to have to do this special request some other time. This fish is crazy.

Zing

Banned
I seem to have hit a wall in Cooking and Alchemy due to the fact that I haven't put any points into Intelligence or Focus. Having the best tool and acing the minigame doesn't seem to be enough anymore. Whenever I craft in those jobs, I'm almost always getting regular (non-good) quality on anything higher than Adept (or anything Adept High-Level).

There's this quest where I have to cook a Superior Juicy Burger (which I think is Adept) and I've tried so many times but can only get regular quality (and then the game taunts me by saying I get a duplicate of the crappy item). So apparently I'm a Master-level Chef who can't even cook a decent Juicy Burger.
Wow, what is your focus? I have INT of 8, but my focus is at 14 or 16 (can't recall exactly). I Just hit expert and have been thinking how ridiculously easy cooking is. I have gotten almost nothing but superior results since starting the job at level 15. If you are struggling, be sure to eat something that give focus first. I haven't been doing that, but today I decided to before doing a large batch of cooking just in case.

PS: dexterity helps just as much as intelligence for cooking, so if you are a hunter and have focus in your teens, maybe you are just worse at the mini game than you think? Are you able to get "great" every step and complete in a fast time using the cook special ability?

Niraj

I'm late in posting here but I've been hooked on the game for a while! I've been playing all the classes at the same time, except for the combat classes where I'm focusing on Hunter. Most of them are at Master and I haven't even started Chapter 5.

That was my assumption too so I had Luck left at 5 for a long time. When I realized I spent an hour just to find some scales from a regular enemy, I did some reading on it and it turns out Luck has a noticeable impact in the game. I had it upped to 25 afterwards (now 30) and seem to be doing okay thus far for drops, and I get Critical Hits a lot more.

What level are your cooking skills? That can factor in as well.

Ellix

Wow, what is your focus? I have INT of 8, but my focus is at 14 or 16 (can't recall exactly). I Just hit expert and have been thinking how ridiculously easy cooking is. I have gotten almost nothing but superior results since starting the job at level 15. If you are struggling, be sure to eat something that give focus first. I haven't been doing that, but today I decided to before doing a large batch of cooking just in case.

PS: dexterity helps just as much as intelligence for cooking, so if you are a hunter and have focus in your teens, maybe you are just worse at the mini game than you think? Are you able to get "great" every step and complete in a fast time using the cook special ability?

My Intelligence and Focus are at 5 each >_< I sometimes do try eating foods which give +Int or +Focus.

What I meant by doing good at the minigame was not doing any errors (like missing the centre of the bar or accidentally using the wrong station). I always use the Special Skill when it fills. It's just that for Cooking and Alchemy, compared to Smithing and Carpentry, each action takes much longer to do at comparable-skilled recipes. Especially for holding A, there's only so much I can do there...yet it's still much slower than when I do it for Smithing or Carpenter.

I dunno, I usually don't have many issues getting Great or Superior in other jobs or for the Apprentice Cooking recipes. Maybe I'm just not being patient enough, or I just have particularly bad luck with the burger : (

EDIT: I think I'm using the Lv 6-7 tools for each Cooking and Alchemy. I've been ignoring Focus in favour of Dex and Str.

Grizzo

So I gotta say I liked the 2nd chapter of the DLC! Still as wordy as usual but at least there were some tough enemies and a little bit of a challenge. That was much appreciated.

I think that's enough. I never raised my luck above 30 and was fine.

That should be enough. If it doesn't drop enough directly, try with the trees that gives bounty as both the tree and the bounty itself can drop it usually.

Yeah, I've gotten a lot of elder logs from bounties. I'm not sure if I've ever gotten any from normal trees.

Well I'm gonna keep trying and switch lives if it gets too tedious. But even great trees don't usually give me elder stuff. And the one I get when bringing the bounty to the clerk doesn't count towards the quest :(

AC GAF reppin'. :D

Nice, I'm AC Gaf too! I posted a lot in the OT last year (my username was Poplemousse before I requested a change). I remember Philia would come into our town and help us decorate with flowers :D

Zing

Banned
I know a lot of people are using the DLC re-specialization as a crutch to min/maxing stats, but I can't imagine leaving any stat at the starting value of 5 would be a good idea. The stats are so broad in what they effect, that it almost seems as though it shouldn't matter where you assign your points. A single stat point I'm anything gives at least .5 boost to most of the jobs. You are awash in spec points and dumping them all into a few stats seems like overkill.

I'm primarily vitality and strength (miner/blacksmith/paladin). If those are the baseline of 100%, then focus and luck are about 60%, with intelligence and dexterity at 30%. Of course, I'd probably be a terrible hunter or Mage, but I will never be either of those jobs with this character. My stats seem to be serving me well with six simultaneous jobs. It will be interesting to figure out how to spread my stats when I try the six remaining jobs on my second character. I think good items and food will compensate.

VandalD

Finally had to use some of my 50+ Life Cures fighting the Ancient Dragon. Took at least one full game day to knock out all his health. Only had one NPC ally with me. Too bad the guard had no reaction to the lovely bounty box I had following me.

Owari

So are there any plans to make the game a little more region-friendly? I'm debating on weather or not I should just buy the thing and play single player cause I can't play JP ver. With my US homies.

daydream

Banned
So are there any plans to make the game a little more region-friendly? I'm debating on weather or not I should just buy the thing and play single player cause I can't play JP ver. With my US homies.

I think the chances of a patch/more DLC happening are.. zero.

Ventara

How are some of you guys so far in the game? I've been playing this 5 hours a day since release and am nowhere near where you guys are.

Grizzo

How are some of you guys so far in the game? I've been playing this 5 hours a day since release and am nowhere near where you guys are.

Don't worry, it's just because some of us are from Europe, where the game was released in the end of September :)

daydream

Banned
Is there a reward/xp penalty for playing online with friends and having a pretty large level gap?

Nope! I leveled a lot that way. Only thing that is shared are the bounties and stuff like in-world items (grilled fish/meat found at fireplaces, for example).

Ventara

Are there any store selling pink silk? Or do I have to rely on my tailor?

I think I've read that you can get it from Cacto Cove, but I'm not sure since I haven't been there.

I get them from farming the Subterranean Cavern. There are a bunch of spiders there and they drop a Pink Silk 2/3 of the time.

Don't worry, it's just because some of us are from Europe, where the game was released in the end of September :)

Oh, I see. Forgot about that.

Niraj

I think I've read that you can get it from Cacto Cove, but I'm not sure since I haven't been there.

I get them from farming the Subterranean Cavern. There are a bunch of spiders there and they drop a Pink Silk 2/3 of the time.

Yeah, you can get the thread and the silk from Cacto Cove.

Philia

OMG, I have not seen you for yonks XD

Hehe figured you would pick it up. Seeing a lot of New Leaf regulars here.

AC GAF reppin'. :D

LOL, I had a great reputation with ACNL that I cannot just drop this avatar. EVAR. <3 Miss you guys too!

But yeah, I've been busy of the late. Going back to work is one, volunteering at an animal shelter is another, and of course playing this. :D

And I wouldn't be surprised at the AC influx here, I'd imagine majority of them are 3DS owners are in here are included.

I just wish there's a gardener job in this game otherwise I'd OWN. :D :D :D

Oh yeah, I have one minor gripe, you cannot get achievements outside of your combat job in another combat job? :\ Aka I'd be rolling as a wizard and I find out I cannot get achievement for killing Carrotarita as a wizard when it was meant for Merc?.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Decided to go ahead and clear the main story just to open up all the areas of the map. So many feels!!

...and now the 100 hour grind to max out each job.

BooJoh

I'm approaching the 100 hour mark and I'm Deimi-Creator Mercenary, Master Blacksmith and Miner, Expert Woodcutter, Carpenter, Tailor, and Alchemist, and Adept or lower in everything else. I feel like I've been dawdling a little, and I just started Origin Island, but I've decided it's probably best to skill up my Blacksmithing and Carpentry before moving on much farther because I hate using shop-bought tools or equipment. Quest rewards are okay (especially the class sets) but crafted stuff whenever possible so I can boost the quality and stats compared to the stuff in shops.

I'm 40+ hours in and I'm not even at Chapter 3 yet. I've been squeezing every last drop of game I can get out of this and I still have so much to look forward to. I'm elated with this. :D

Eteric Rice

So I've been trying to do the stupid tornado spon Merc quest for like an hour now and I can't get past 7 for some reason. Can someone help me here? Is there a trick to it?

So I've been trying to do the stupid tornado spon Merc quest for like an hour now and I can't get past 7 for some reason. Can someone help me here? Is there a trick to it?
It's all about the timing. You need to take a beat between each time you press A. Also, finding easily accessible monsters that won't die until the 5th hit. (Or you could start the chain further away, but I think that's too unreliable.)

Once you get the timing down, it's really easy.

BooJoh

I got it, but now I'm out of Merc quests. How do I get more

Make sure you've talked to (depending on your story progress)

-Cervantes
-the guy behind the bar next to him
-the guy on the bridge in South Castele by the entrance to the Square
-the guy at the campsite in Grassy Plains just before Mt Snowpeak
-the guy in the center of northern Puerto (same area the rental home is in)
-Miguel in his house in Al Majiik (next to the rental home)
-the girl in Cacto Cove

Kater

Banned
I got it, but now I'm out of Merc quests. How do I get more
Are you at Legend rank? If so, and you haven't finished the first main story yet then you have to do that first.

Otherwise, talk to Cervantes. Or maybe you missed some of the other Mercenaries quests (the Mercenaries are all over Reveria).

Edit: Beaten by BooJoh.
Just check all the NPCs on BooJohs list.

BooJoh

I just made Hero Miner and the only challenges I have left are Dragon Scab (which I hope I can finally damage now,) mine 400 times, and mine 500 times. I'm at 366/ and trying to decide if I want to go grind out the two mining quests or just let it happen as I quest. The issue seems to be that in the base game if you complete a quest before it's given to you, you still get credit, but it seems you need to be Demi-Creator rank to get credit towards Origin Island stuff.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
:( I just lost the last 2.5 hours of play (leveled up a bit, and got alchemy and cooking lifes up from the first level to the 3rd) went to pick up my 2ds, and didnt realise i was holding down the power button as i did.. so it closed the software :(

Kater

Banned
:( I just lost the last 2.5 hours of play (leveled up a bit, and got alchemy and cooking lifes up from the first level to the 3rd) went to pick up my 2ds, and didnt realise i was holding down the power button as i did.. so it closed the software :(
Happened to me when I was playing Fire Emblem. The placement of the button is fuel for a lot of frustration of mine. That's also why I save ever so often, to avoid losing progress in the games I'm playing.

Linius

The Merc trainer in the castle told me to kill Turtanic or whatever (big turtle). Did the turn in at the bounty place, got nothing.

So confused.

Ehrm, sounds strange? But usually you can still rank up despite missing out on maybe one or two star quests for your life.

VandalD

I just made Hero Miner and the only challenges I have left are Dragon Scab (which I hope I can finally damage now,) mine 400 times, and mine 500 times. I'm at 366/ and trying to decide if I want to go grind out the two mining quests or just let it happen as I quest. The issue seems to be that in the base game if you complete a quest before it's given to you, you still get credit, but it seems you need to be Demi-Creator rank to get credit towards Origin Island stuff.
I didn't have this issue. When I realized I had to rank up to Demi-Creator, I noticed my missions already had progress from my time on the island, including the Ancient Dragon bounty I turned in. Just had to kill a few more enemies on the beach to go back and report everything in to hit Creator.

And I'd say just let the mining/chops happen in another class. You don't have to be a miner or woodcutter to get credit for those, so I just put them out of mind as I did whatever else.

BooJoh

I didn't have this issue. When I realized I had to rank up to Demi-Creator, I noticed my missions already had progress from my time on the island, including the Ancient Dragon bounty I turned in. Just had to kill a few more enemies on the beach to go back and report everything in to hit Creator.

And I'd say just let the mining/chops happen in another class. You don't have to be a miner or woodcutter to get credit for those, so I just put them out of mind as I did whatever else.

Hmm, maybe I was mistaken about it then.

Zing

Banned
Oh yeah, I have one minor gripe, you cannot get achievements outside of your combat job in another combat job? : Aka I'd be rolling as a wizard and I find out I cannot get achievement for killing Carrotarita as a wizard when it was meant for Merc?.
Where did you get this idea? The vast majority of challenges can be completed as any job. There are a few that will say "As a (job) do (this)…", mainly challenges to claim a particular bounty, but most are not like that. Even then, these bounty challenges are only when you turn in the bounty, so you could kill the monster as one job, then change to the required job before turning it in.

zigg

Really, though, required and awkward Life switches are this game's biggest design flaw. I can't believe someone decided it was a great idea to make someone switch to a specific Life before walking up to a bounty counter.

I would've designed it with

• quick-switch Lives in the field for when it actually matters
  • never require a specific Life for anything that doesn't involve controls, ever
Game's great and all, but switching Lives is a waste of time. It's great that you can warp to the counter, but then if you have to get back to where you were…

Top Bottom