• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

So... what's everyone's favorite weapon type? I started as an alchemist so my int is pretty high (1 point of int per level keeping everything else about even) so Wands are a pretty good fit, but I'm enjoying Sword and Shield too. Claymore and Bow... eh... targeting was a bit odd.

Greatsword (Mercenary weapon) for me.

Sword and Shield is cool, mainly for the ability to block, but I don't like the sword's weak range and sound effects : P

So... what's everyone's favorite weapon type? I started as an alchemist so my int is pretty high (1 point of int per level keeping everything else about even) so Wands are a pretty good fit, but I'm enjoying Sword and Shield too. Claymore and Bow... eh... targeting was a bit odd.

Haha, I'm the exact opposite.
I find bows fast and fun and I love the heft and power of claymores. The timed combos are a lot of fun!

Can I have some advice? I'm 60 hours in and am getting a little bored. I don't have the DLC though, so I was thinking maybe if I pick it up it will renew my enthusiasm for the game. What do you think?

Oh, and you can't play with friends from other regions, right?

Can I have some advice? I'm 60 hours in and am getting a little bored. I don't have the DLC though, so I was thinking maybe if I pick it up it will renew my enthusiasm for the game. What do you think?

Oh, and you can't play with friends from other regions, right?

What exactly is boring you, if I may ask? Just trying to understand, as people have different tastes, etc.

The DLC adds a lot more content, but it is just more of the same, for the most part. Which is ace if you liked what you played, but it probably won't change your mind otherwise.

You can play between European and North American copies, just not with Japanese copies.

What exactly is boring you, if I may ask? Just trying to understand, as people have different tastes, etc.

The DLC adds a lot more content, but it is just more of the same, for the most part. Which is ace if you liked what you played, but it probably won't change your mind otherwise.

You can play between European and North American copies, just not with Japanese copies.
I guess feel like I'm not really progressing. But, it's not the game's fault. I usually burn out at around 60 hours for games. I'm still stuck at 60 hours into Xenoblade...

I still haven't finished the main story so I would at least like to do that. How is the post game content? I've seen some people post pics of some pretty crazy looking bosses in this thread that I haven't seen in game before.

I guess feel like I'm not really progressing. But, it's not the game's fault. I usually burn out at around 60 hours for games. I'm still stuck at 60 hours into Xenoblade...

I still haven't finished the main story so I would at least like to do that. How is the post game content? I've seen some people post pics of some pretty crazy looking bosses in this thread that I haven't seen in game before.

The postgame is cool, but it's mostly just you ranking up your Lives to Master, Hero and then Legend.

So if you enjoyed that part of the game (IMO the main part), you ought to have a good time.

Just don't expect the game to add anything new after the story. The story is just a means to unlock new areas so you can rank up your Lives.

If you're have any combat Lives, this is also the time you get to fight some tougher bosses. Although most of the really good bosses are in the DLC.

Zing

Banned
One handed sword is much more fun for me than claymore. Claymore feels like I am throwing around a sack of potatoes and the hit box and timing is odd. Just stand back and charge up, then go in with a swing. Sword and shield is exciting! I do a combo, then block.

Ventara

My favorite weapon is the bow. I like that you can attract from a safe distance and the speed and lack of MP usage over the rod. Admittedly, I haven't used the other weapons as much, but I will soon, since I plan to get every Life to Master before moving on to Chapter 5.

The postgame is cool, but it's mostly just you ranking up your Lives to Master, Hero and then Legend.

So if you enjoyed that part of the game (IMO the main part), you ought to have a good time.

Just don't expect the game to add anything new after the story. The story is just a means to unlock new areas so you can rank up your Lives.

If you're have any combat Lives, this is also the time you get to fight some tougher bosses. Although most of the really good bosses are in the DLC.
Cool, thanks :). I might end up picking up the DLC.

Elija2

So I just got this game but since I'm just starting out and am low-leveled at everything, does that mean I'm useless if I want to play with people that are higher-leveled than me?

BooJoh

One handed sword is much more fun for me than claymore. Claymore feels like I am throwing around a sack of potatoes and the hit box and timing is odd. Just stand back and charge up, then go in with a swing. Sword and shield is exciting! I do a combo, then block.

It sounds like you're playing Claymore MH-style if you're only using charge attacks. At the point I'm at (Demi-Creator Rank) I have two variations of the 5-hit combo and a 3-hit combo for the running attack. Those combos build up my special meter at a crazy speed with my Hero armor set and I can unleash my special for crazy damage pretty often.

Getting the timing on combos and pulling them off without being interrupted is a whole other story, but when I pull off a 5-hit combo on a boss it's very satisfying. I don't know what factors play into it but you also seem to block a bit (though not as much as a shield) with your Claymore.

Longsword does seem like decent fun as well with the faster-paced combat, even at only Adept level skills. I kind of wish that the no-shield Longsword style used dual wielding though.

watershed

Banned
I just passed the 50 hour mark and reached Origin Island. I think it's time I went back and started up some new Lives. So far I'm rocking as a tailor, hunter, angler, and cook. But I want to add another combat life and maybe a miner also.

Chaos17

Did Fantasy Life not sell well in Japan or something? :/

The ony the number we have is for the first year so before DLC and it was 300k in Japan. Those sales encouraged Level-5 to make the DLC, that's a fact.
Is it really imossible that we will never see a sequel, my answer is NO. We can't say that because we're not Level-5.
Also they said themselve that they want to make a serie of it so let's wait and see, imo.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

the only weapons ive used so far are daggers and bows, so daggers.

Grizzo

Claymores are awkward to use. I don't really like the mercenary life for now (I'm only a fledgling though).

The bow is my favorite weapon in the whole game. It feels so good to use. Plus the
God rank adds some pretty sweet and powerful attacks to the Hunter life

Eusis

It sold pretty well. But Youkai Watch sold a lot better and clearly that (along with phones) is where L5's priorities lie.

Then again, it has been less than two years since FL came out in Japan, so I guess it hasn't been too long.

Not sure if 1-up studio have done much else since.
It'd probably be smart to hedge your bets as a publisher/developers so I would expect Fantasy Life to likely live on, and not just in mobile form. Level 5 isn't one of my favorite developers, but I do think (for both good and bad) they're one of the most RELIABLE ones, so at worst I see them sort of trying to revive True Fantasy Live Online as just Fantasy Life Online, and it'd be a more natural progression of things than most SP to MMO conversions. More likely I'd expect another handheld sequel and perhaps even poking into console expansion (though that might kill the profit margins depending on just how well it sold.)

I think more likely they'd only let something successful die if it's run its course, like Layton seems to have (and I expect SOMETHING on that front eventually anyway.)

New pic from NA twitter :
B1yCMEoIEAAiuBH.jpg
So strange. What's with the random tip sheets?

Did Fantasy Life not sell well in Japan or something? :/
It did well in Japan, and now in Europe too. We don't know how the sales in North America are yet, but it is currently at the top of the NA eShop charts.

I really don't know why anyone would doubt a sequel is coming. Just because they have Youkai Watch doesn't mean they aren't gonna continue their other IPs.

The ony the number we have is for the first year so before DLC and it was 300k in Japan. Those sales encouraged Level-5 to make the DLC, that's a fact.
Is it really imossible that we will never see a sequel, my answer is NO. We can't say that because we're not Level-5.
Also they said themselve that they want to make a serie of it so let's wait and see, imo.
This is legit the first time I've seen anyone worry about the future of this series. I don't think there is anything to be concerned about.

KiTA

It did well in Japan, and now in Europe too. We don't know how the sales in North America are yet, but it is currently at the top of the NA eShop charts.

I really don't know why anyone would doubt a sequel is coming. Just because they have Youkai Watch doesn't mean they aren't gonna continue their other IPs.

This is legit the first time I've seen anyone worry about the future of this series. I don't think there is anything to be concerned about.

Isn't this like the third version / expansion of this game? Why is anyone worried. Heck, I half expect a WiiU version or N3DS version with more stuff to be announced soonish.

Aiustis

So I just got this game but since I'm just starting out and am low-leveled at everything, does that mean I'm useless if I want to play with people that are higher-leveled than me?

Not necessarily. I played with friends the other day and two of us were really low doing 0 and 1 damage hits against this monster that would 1 hit ko on us. The other player was doing about 8-12 damage. Took us about 20 minutes to kill it.

Also it depends on your skill. I have 5 friends with the game and I'm the only cook and angler so I stay getting them stuff.

Just started this, at this point mostly unlocking the various lives, I'm wondering though, what's the point of playing as miner/fisher/woodcutter, or is there any at all? Do you gain skill faster when you're playing as those specifically? Crafter and Combat classes are pretty obvious why you'd want to play as them but not sure about gathering classes, seems they work just fine as any other class. Only obvious point is changing to them to turn in stars and level up. Also am I blind or are lettuces not in the first town? I've got a quest from one of the guys growing carrots to go check on another farmer and get some lettuces, but all I've found are another carrot guy and a bunch of other stuff too, just no lettuces. Cooking starting quest wasn't helpful in that regard either.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just started this, at this point mostly unlocking the various lives, I'm wondering though, what's the point of playing as miner/fisher/woodcutter, or is there any at all? Do you gain skill faster when you're playing as those specifically? Crafter and Combat classes are pretty obvious why you'd want to play as them but not sure about gathering classes, seems they work just fine as any other class. Only obvious point is changing to them to turn in stars and level up. Also am I blind or are lettuces not in the first town? I've got a quest from one of the guys growing carrots to go check on another farmer and get some lettuces, but all I've found are another carrot guy and a bunch of other stuff too, just no lettuces. Cooking starting quest wasn't helpful in that regard either.

It's likely that you'll want to use those lives for at least the tougher challenges. For one, they give you stat boosts that benefit that class directly, and the other is that you can use the special X charge move (as in, when the special meter is filled up all the way) only as those lives. Later on you'll have better equipment that is Life specific as well. For the most part though, you're right, you can do the bulk of the gathering classes as any class.

There's a farm at the very beginning of the western grassy plains, your lettuce will be there :)

On a personal note, just have two more lives to get to creator/god level, blacksmith and carpenter.

Kater

Banned
Claymores are awkward to use. I don't really like the mercenary life for now (I'm only a fledgling though).

The bow is my favorite weapon in the whole game. It feels so good to use. Plus the
God rank adds some pretty sweet and powerful attacks to the Hunter life
I think it's the best one if you want to do a lot of damage in a few swings. Especially in
God mode, you get to do a lot of damage with the right weapons. I made a Divine Quality Berserker's rage with an Attack Damage of 188, SP Recovery Speed +++ and Critical rate ++ and some divine Hero Mercenary armor with around 20 - 25% higher defence than the normal one that I got from Erik, as a Blacksmith.

If you rather have a Life that gives you higher defence at the cost of lower damage, then I recommend Paladin.

BooJoh

The Merc NPC at the Snowpeak base camp told me if I mastered 3 jobs pirates appreciate I could probably get a special sword from the pirates. I have no idea what jobs they would be though. I assume Mercenary is the first... perhaps Smith and Carpenter? I'm kind of at a loss.

I've been using that flamberge weapon for ages.

I need to craft something better.

Demonic Void is a very nice followup to the Flamberge, especially if you throw an Attack Upgrade Stone+ on it.

Delstius

The Merc NPC at the Snowpeak base camp told me if I mastered 3 jobs pirates appreciate I could probably get a special sword from the pirates. I have no idea what jobs they would be though. I assume Mercenary is the first... perhaps Smith and Carpenter? I'm kind of at a loss.

Two of them are Fishing and Merc for sure. I didn't figure out the third though.

Lizardus

Damn.

I accidentally destroyed three of my bounties. I left Ancient Ruins with three bounties, one of them being the Ancient Dragon. When you enter the area, you are inside the bounty box hitbox and I saw an enemy in front. Naturally, I shot my bow and destroyed them all. Almost broke my 3DS lol.

Level 52 Hunter using Wyvern Bow and Sniper armour. What's the next best equipment for Hunters?

Gobul from Monster Hunter.

zlCfzSn_b2cCpVuNst

Over 100 side-quests completed! And yesterday I unlocked Carpenter, I'm ready to complete even more quests! I'm spending so much money buying materials. >.<

zlCfzSoA-SIt3m0dp1

My waifu.

zlCfzSoB2yA3PYwU6N

Lexxism

So I'm currently a master carpenter and I can't find the starry beams from my crafts. Yet I can see skytree beam which is a hero craft. Did I do something wrong here?

Kater

Banned
Maybe I really have to restart the game as a new character. I still have three Lifes at Master only, and one at Expert.

Still thinking about a good name. Or I just call him Nima Senior and make him look like my first avatar but with a beard and a little bit chubbier. &#128516;

Grizzo

Maybe I really have to restart the game as a new character. I still have three Lifes at Master only, and one at Expert.

Still thinking about a good name. Or I just call him Nima Senior and make him look like my first avatar but with a beard and a little bit chubbier. &#128516;

I don't see the point in creating a new character? I mean that as an honest question. What are the benefits?

If it's because some of your skills are lacking point, well you can still upgrade them whenever you gain a level (except if you're already at level 200 of course)?

I think the only reason is if you don't have the DLC and screwed up your appearance or something.

Or you want to play as the opposite gender. I mean, those girl clothes are pretty funky.

Flarin

Does anyone know if you can straight up buy Platinum Ingots or do you have to be a minor, blacksmith? And if so where? I need some for a Carpenter recipe and don't have those other jobs.

Or maybe someone would be willing to trade? So close to Legend rank!

Lexxism

Does anyone know if you can straight up buy Platinum Ingots or do you have to be a minor, blacksmith? And if so where? I need some for a Carpenter recipe and don't have those other jobs.

Or maybe someone would be willing to trade? So close to Legend rank!

I think it was on Mount Snowspeak where you can buy those. or maybe not

Kater

Banned
I don't see the point in creating a new character? I mean that as an honest question. What are the benefits?

If it's because some of your skills are lacking point, well you can still upgrade them whenever you gain a level (except if you're already at level 200 of course)?
It's because I like to roleplay. And I don't want to max every life as one person, it just feels wrong.
Yeah, I'm weird like that. &#128554;

I think the only reason is if you don't have the DLC and screwed up your appearance or something.

Or you want to play as the opposite gender. I mean, those girl clothes are pretty funky.
Nah, I'm good with the selection of cute clothes for now. Sure would be nice if I could put on some of the (girls only) warrior stuff. Freya's costume is pretty cool. :)

Too bad boys can't wear girls clothes (and vice versa).

Even Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Life let you wear all types of clothes regardless of your sex.
Makes me want to play Animal Crossing again. &#128516;

Yar. It's kind of weird because you can wear the
Goddess's
Dress in any gender.
Whoa, really? Wait, when do you get that? Maybe I sold it, damn. :(

Grizzo

Makes me want to play Animal Crossing again. &#128516;

I can't do that because last time I played Hamphrey told me he was leaving my town so I stopped playing in order to prevent all my other villagers (especially my three faves) from leaving my town when I'm not playing
Yeah, I'm weird like that ;)

But that's alright because Fantasy Life has been receiving all my attention these last few days. I'm level 70 now!

Lizardus

Thank you to whoever posted that you can fast-track the dialogue using X. This shit really is unbearable. Seems like I have been holding the X button for a minute during last couple chapters and Origin island.

Top Bottom