• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Alright guys I know this is out there and these two games are nothing alike but I can either pick up Farcry 3 or Xcom and I can't decide.

PC for both.

Help!

Pyronite

Raxus

I feel bad for Hoyt. In any other game he would be a serious threat but after dealing with Buck and Vaas (especially Vaas) he just seemed quaint in comparison.

Is FC3 causing hard locks that reboot the system and invoke the filesystem warning on other people's PS3's or is my PS3 fucked?

I don't know about your PS3 dying as some games perform differently for different people (who knows why?). But, I've played more than half of it and haven't hard locked once. With open-world games though, I wouldn't be convinced on your PS3's level of fuckedness.

Nemesis_

*Warning plot spoilers for the halfway point in the game*
People seem to say you 'killed' him but you never see a body and Citra is a crazy bitch so I am willing to bet that he will back in DLC. Can never keep a good bad guy down.

Yeah.

I think it would be
a waste to not utilise this character again.

I was thinking about DLC centering on
Vaas and his "turning" but then I realised that without the insanity he might not be as compelling as a character

I'm about to head to the second island. :)

I was surprised they didn't make it more obvious. Though I'm not that sure how they would have done so...

Take this for what it's worth:

http://i.minus.com/ibvOtPbisYbp8F.png

http://i.minus.com/itZKWdtiCp6Vx.png

You only played xcom for 19 mins? That's not even enough time to get the controls and basics down.

Xcom is one of the years best games.
If you are in the mood for a deep strategy game, Xcom. If you want a shooter, FC3.

They are both great for completely different reasons.

Pyronite

You only played xcom for 19 mins? That's not even enough time to get the controls and basics down.

Xcom is one of the years best games.
If you are in the mood for a deep strategy game, Xcom. If you want a shooter, FC3.

They are both great for completely different reasons.

I'm pretty sure I'll agree with you in the end, and a lot of people I know love Xcom. It didn't grab me.

Nemesis_

Who else prefers walking to fast travel and gliders?such an awesome game.

I'm fairly pressed for time as it is, so I fast travel a lot. The odd time that I do walk (ie. going for a relic or a letter or something) it is a nice experience.

I love the islands.

I'm pretty much done with the interior of the Lab for Groznyj Grad.

ibpan37o3Vw9Vs.png

How'd I do??

Those bottom floor shadows make no sense at all o_O

Anyways, cool stuff sir!

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Is there really any reason to not have a scilencer on your gun? Obviously there's a damage decrease, but the benefits seem to overwhelm the drawbacks.

Yerolo

Is there really any reason to not have a scilencer on your gun? Obviously there's a damage decrease, but the benefits seem to overwhelm the drawbacks.

Yeh, not really. Stealth is a pretty big part of the game and taking over outposts is 100% easier when you can take out snipers etc with your silenced sniper rifle without alarms going off

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Besides unless you are fighting animals, as long as you tag unarmored humans in the head they drop in the first shot.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You get the AMR (Anti-Material Rifle that shoots explosive rounds and can be used to blow up cars in one shot) with 20 Relics. A sword to replace your default melee knife with 6 Letters.
Yeah, I have all that, i didn't get ALL those relics and letters, still got a lot.. I was asking for 100% being worth it.

Alexios

I highly doubt it. It's barely worth doing any of the side content.
I liked most of the side content. If hunting and assassinating and liberating outposts etc isn't fun then the whole game isn't fun either since you do similar things for main story missions, just with a slightly different set up... Exploring was fun at first too. It's not like the story was amazing to say I played it for that and the side content while offering similar gameplay wasn't worth it just because it lacked that. Anyway this is what I've done, asking if I've missed anything worthwhile.
Some (most? I forget exactly what each was) of the ! missions weren't technically good but it was funny seeing what the developers came up with. Like the spooky one that was like, lol really, trying to pull this type of ghost story in a game?

Also I really think people are selling themselves short by using the best guns, the game's already way too easy, I'm not much of a gamer but I played on the hardest and carried big weapons for when I wanted to have that kind of fun (like making wandering enemy vehicles explode with the sniper rifle or just taking out the driver and watching them crash) but I only did the outposts and assassinations with the bow and melee after discovering how fun that sort of gameplay is (before unlocking that I was using a silenced pistol instead). It's not like you're gimping yourself either, since those are just as lethal, it just makes you feel badass.

Alexios

You should give the trials a go, noticed you havent touched them. They are a bit of mindless fun
Can you still mess with the AI like you can in normal gameplay (even after they're alert) or are they always aware of where you are, or maybe the areas have no cover etc? It sounded like that and like I wouldn't enjoy them much but after playing the co-op a bit which was all action (but too laggy and enemies a little damage spongy) I'm thinking they could be fun maybe..

Salsa

DLC stuff is pretty good so far actually. Obviously not worth paying for while not on-sale but as simple single player missions they're fun. Monkey Business probably offers the best combat scenarios in the game and LOL at the Lost Expedition's crossover. So stupid.

Alexios

DLC stuff is pretty good so far actually. Obviously not worth paying for while not on-sale but as simple single player missions they're fun. Monkey Business probably offers the best combat scenarios in the game and LOL at the Lost Expedition's crossover. So stupid.
Where do I get the DLC and how much is it, I didn't see it available anywhere. Also how come when I start Steam it starts Uplay and then the game and it's all fine but when I start Uplay itself it doesn't show I own any of the Ubi games that use it on Steam?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Can you still mess with the AI like you can in normal gameplay (even after they're alert) or are they always aware of where you are, or maybe the areas have no cover etc? It sounded like that and like I wouldn't enjoy them much but after playing the co-op a bit which was all action (but too laggy and enemies a little damage spongy) I'm thinking they could be fun maybe..

I've only done two of them, one was running people over in a jeep(which they were all alerted to) and the other was just killing people, but they weren't alerted at the start so I was able to get extra points for stealth.

Tankshell

So I just got to the second island...

The camp where you kill Vaas near the end of the 1st island storyline... is it supposed to be the same camp you escape from at the start of the game? It kinda looks similar... but I wanted to re-trace the escape route I took during the opening sequence.... couldn't find the bridge that you run across (the part where the chopper shoots it out and you fall into the water before dennis pulls you out)...

Of was that supposed to be a totally different Vaas camp? If so is it possible to find it again and re-explore it?

Any ideas ?

Beat the game and have no desire to continue playing. I feel the second island is a complete whiff.
The change in terrain, while encouraging the player to wingsuit around the environment, is demonstrably less entertaining than the jungles and ruins of island #1. The lack of foliage creates too many sight lines during combat, fundamentally changing the dynamics of the combat. That sense of danger you have when you are stalking a patrol only to realize that you are being hunted by a tiger is GONE in island #2. And now that I have cleared most of the control points in island2 and all of them on island#1, I no longer have a feedback loop that keeps me in the world. Simply put, there are no bad guys to shoot anymore and I am bored to hell. This game starts off really strong with a great narrative and feedback hook. Too bad it peaks half way through.

Alexios

Beat the game and have no desire to continue playing. I feel the second island is a complete whiff.
Do the wanted missions (they're basically like liberating small outposts except you have to kill the commander(s) with the knife only and at times can also just kill him stealthily without the others taking notice which still finishes the mission) and liberate the last outposts and leave it at that, I think I'll do that myself after I give these trials a spin to make sure I'm not missing anything much. But yeah, it was just so badass to use the camera to mark enemies from afar then go in and take them out one by one, disable the alarms, etc. Although the x ray vision is overpowered the way the game is set up it would probably be impossible to do it silently without it I guess. Maybe if they at least had implemented leaning just to look around corners, not shoot. Or maybe I could still do it by spending more time observing from afar rather than just making a pass with the camera and going in. I'll have to try the former (edit: or not, the enemies are marked when you aim at them anyway, lol).

I did all the hunting missions too but in retrospect most weren't very fun, animals just aren't as fun to fight as humans. I liked the ones that had you using the bow because I love using it, that's about it. The rest I just did them to kill every animal everywhere (how come this game got no backlash for all the endangered species, lol). Some of the animals were cool to see plus they were often in areas with relics and chests (the shark one was amazing!) which added to their satisfaction factor a bit..

I've played the game for 41 hours now and yeah, while it's flawed, it's one of the best FPS I've played. And more fun than most.

Also what's up with a couple of the previous story areas you can revisit still having enemies... Even one you can fast travel to iirc. I wish they let me liberate those 100% too, just make them show up as outposts on the map past that story point. Kind of a wasted opportunity to have a little more content, they would have been fun and some of the biggest outposts too.

By the way is the game modable beyond maps? It would be kind of cool to have some more hardcore survival and scavenging elements to it. Or at least just making a new island and having you play as a tribe member that will only use the bow and knife and liberate new and bigger outposts etc all over again. And no tagging either as he's no Jason Brody! And if possible combining both. Having you hunt animals not to craft weapon holsters and shit (although arrows made of teeth and quivers of their skin maybe would work) but to actually eat and regain health/stamina that way.

Ledsen

Do the wanted missions (they're basically like liberating small outposts except you have to kill the commander(s) with the knife only and at times can also just kill him stealthily without the others taking notice which still finishes the mission) and liberate the last outposts and leave it at that, I think I'll do that myself after I give these trials a spin to make sure I'm not missing anything much. But yeah, it was just so badass to use the camera to mark enemies from afar then go in and take them out one by one, disable the alarms, etc. Although the x ray vision is overpowered the way the game is set up it would probably be impossible to do it silently without it I guess. Maybe if they at least had implemented leaning just to look around corners, not shoot. Or maybe I could still do it by spending more time observing from afar rather than just making a pass with the camera and going in. I'll have to try the former (edit: or not, the enemies are marked when you aim at them anyway, lol).

Not if you turn it off in the options. You can play the whole game without marking enemies. Well, except assassination missions where they unfortunately force you to use it unless you want to knife every single enemy.

Alexios

Ah, I didn't realize it was optional. Oh well. Would have made the syringes make more sense, as it was I never crafted anything other than medicine since I was OP already (which wasn't much less OP since having so much medicine would mean I'm invincible but I rarely needed it anyway) . Should have been the default on the hardest difficulty I chose really...

Ledsen

Ah, I didn't realize it was optional. Oh well. Would have made the syringes make more sense, as it was I never crafted anything other than medicine since I was OP already (which wasn't much less OP since having so much medicine would mean I'm invincible but I rarely needed it anyway) . Should have been the default on the hardest difficulty I chose really...

I can't imagine having to play through the game with that "aim-to-mark" feature enabled. The game is already pretty easy on hard once you get past the beginning. It's also completely immersion-breaking. Fortunately that was the one HUD option Ubi were sensible enough to put in a toggle for :)

I feel they did learn something from other open world games like Burnout Paradise (quick restart aside) in the way the side missions ended. Often I'd do a race, end up in a a place where I can get a new, different mission within walking distance

Alexios

Yeah I think you're done then cato, I described the same "problem" in the previous page.

Not really a problem I guess, we just "finished" the game. Not like it was claimed to provide endless fun.

Can't wait for the user levels for some more outpost liberating fun. But I hope they make the enemy placement really good and that the wonky line of sight can be fixed (sometimes enemies saw bodies when they should have been hidden from view where they fell, like snipers in their watchtowers). And that they'll make new whole islands (even if small with a handful of outposts and a "boss" one unlocking after the rest) not just stick a single outpost somewhere new.

Atruvius

How'd I do??

It's been many many years since I've played MGS3 but that hall I recognized it the moment I was those stairs. You even put the bathroom door where Raikov goes to hide. I'd say you're doing a bang up job!

Jintor

I shot a guy in the middle of a grenade animation and he finished the animation and then flew backwards into a wall.

Dr Dogg

Well just when I was getting engrossed in the story video game logic had to and rear it's ugly head again:-

So just rescued Liza and brought her along to Daisy who shows us some decrepit boat that looks like something my dad "rescued" from a tip only to send back there when it turned out he had bitten off more than he could chew. Of course Jason being the gullible gopher that he is offers to help repair it forgetting to mention the 10 or so boats that he has encountered in much better shape and the dozen or so jet ski's. I suppose there has to be an arbitrary fetch quest here or there but come on. I have no idea how far Rook Island is from civilization but I'm pretty sure the numerous patrol boats doted around have a range of a couple of hundred miles. Ah well to be expected

How'd I do??

That's amazing. I had a play around with the map editor but the detail here is outstanding and I've played MGS3 twice already this year.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This game is really something else. This might just be the finest example of how to do a sandbox game to date. Every system feeds into another system and everything is so well put together. It's as mechanically solid as a linear story driven FPS with the freedom of a sandbox game. I just can't believe how much fun this has been!

Tankshell

Guys, anyone found this area in the game yet? Which island is it on? Or is it just another promo-screen that never made it into the final game?

I haven't come across any jungle areas quite this dense yet. Most of it is fairly open. Was hoping there was actually something like this somewhere on one of the islands.... really thick jungle.

SJRB

Gold Member
Well just when I was getting engrossed in the story video game logic had to and rear it's ugly head again:-

So just rescued Liza and brought her along to Daisy who shows us some decrepit boat that looks like something my dad "rescued" from a tip only to send back there when it turned out he had bitten off more than he could chew. Of course Jason being the gullible gopher that he is offers to help repair it forgetting to mention the 10 or so boats that he has encountered in much better shape and the dozen or so jet ski's. I suppose there has to be an arbitrary fetch quest here or there but come on. I have no idea how far Rook Island is from civilization but I'm pretty sure the numerous patrol boats doted around have a range of a couple of hundred miles. Ah well to be expected

There's a narrative reason for this though.

The mission that starts them rebuilding the ship is called "busy work", it's basically giving the rescued friends something to do to pass the time and put their mind off the horrible things they went through. Because at that point in time they have no idea how long they're going to be in the cave. And besides, we don't know where the Rook Islands are, they could be thousands of miles away from mainland civilization. Riding a jetski, rubber boat or a patrol boat out in full sea is a bad idea. And nowhere have I encountered a full-size, working boat anywhere in the game.

Guys, anyone found this area in the game yet? Which island is it on? Or is it just another promo-screen that never made it into the final game?

I haven't come across any jungle areas quite this dense yet. Most of it is fairly open. Was hoping there was actually something like this somewhere on one of the islands.... really thick jungle.

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/06/farcry3-1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's a target render, the game is nowhere even near this dense with foliage. There are still crashed planes to be found though.

Remmy2112

I beat the game last night after sinking around thirty hours into it. It was a blast with a number of memorable characters, though the friends you are trying to rescue weren't among them. Playing the game as a stealth character and hunting your prey, human and animal alike was a amazing experience. That being said there are times when the AI is brilliant in dealing with you and then there are times where it is incredibly stupid. I'll have to replay on the hardest difficulty but there were times where a single enemy would spot the body of a man I killed and go to investigate... by himself.... without alerting the three allies next to him.

There is also the fact that the AI is terrible about fighting the wildlife of the island. They stay still and empty their clips into the animals once detected. If that animal happens to be a bullet sponge like a tiger or a bear that creature is likely going to take out most of a enemy camp. And the AI freezes in place once they detect a animal, unless it is a charger enemy. I freed a tiger from one camp and watched as two snipers from that camp stayed on the stairs at the back of a building, aiming in the direction of the tiger through a building and never moving to help their allies in front. After the tiger killed the ones out front it moved on to them and finished the slaughter.

I also dislike
how Vaas, Buck, and Hoyt are killed.
I wish they had just been cinema scenes, I didn't need it turned into QTEs. And
while I did enjoy how you killed Hoyt I wish they had shown the real world scene, 'cause you come out of.. whatever drug induced haze you were in and see him dead with like a dozen soldiers also killed in different positions around the same small room,
that would have been glorious to witness in first person.

legacyzero

Banned
Those bottom floor shadows make no sense at all o_O

Anyways, cool stuff sir!
Yeah, those were the best lighting options I had for that space. It's because of the little bars covering the light bulbs :lol

It's been many many years since I've played MGS3 but that hall I recognized it the moment I was those stairs. You even put the bathroom door where Raikov goes to hide. I'd say you're doing a bang up job!

Yeah, if any part of the map had to be perfect, it had to be this one.

That's amazing. I had a play around with the map editor but the detail here is outstanding and I've played MGS3 twice already this year.
You cant go into any of the rooms though :(. Wouldn't be practical for multiplayer.

Top Bottom