• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Something up with the checkpoints? I feel like I've actually lost progress when I die before checkpoints. I did the weed burning mission and ended up checkpointing back to before I met willis...

Pyronite

Agreed, Ubisoft's games (and likely design process) revolve around ticking off boxes, and they see adding content as a player being able to tick off more boxes. Collect feathers. Collect memory cards. Collect letters. Not enough? Okay add some relics that the player can collect.

It's nice for OCD players, but for everyone else it feels inane.

As an employee of Ubisoft, I don't think this is true. There are dozens of studios worldwide and we're given some great autonomy.

I think I played this game a lot differently than many of you - I beat it in the first day of release, because I couldn't stop playing, but I didn't focus on capturing bases or clearing out the quests that popped up following captures. I mainly did the storyline, and have now gone back afterwards to do everything else.

I can see how maybe someone might find the game repetitive if they focused on things the other way around. I think that's the nature of gaming, though - you reap what you sow. I also wonder how our opinions of the storyline differ based on the emotional engagement of the playthrough. If there are hours of gameplay between one story scene and the next, it can lose some of its engagement.

Took me just over 31 hours to finish everything (although I was taking my time - I didn't use the purchasable maps to find relics, as I enjoyed hunting them down on my own and the main map already gives visual clues as to where ruins/bunkers/caves are).

That's pretty hardcore. I'm 40+ hours in, have about half the relics, and find it hard enough when they're pointed out on the map for me.

Isak_Borg

I have already complained about how easy the game is even on the highest difficulty.

I am sorry, this is a little awkward for you now.....

Yeah, it's been a cake walk taking over pirate camps without alerting anyone once you get the sniper rifle with the silencer. I've also only done two main story missions and most of the pouches and upgraded everything that's been made available.

It feels strange unlocking most of the upgrades without even tackling the main story missions.

Main standout for me so far is the
Testing facility that opens up after the second main mission with all of the dogs lurking around. Is there anyway to finish that mission without triggering the gas explosion?

All in mission:
I can already see the end "decision" of this game coming a mile off

Something up with the checkpoints? I feel like I've actually lost progress when I die before checkpoints. I did the weed burning mission and ended up checkpointing back to before I met willis...
I think it checkpoints you once you die a certain number of times, or run out of ammo. Trying to do you a favour somehow. It's pretty annoying.

Pyronite

Main standout for me so far is the
Testing facility that opens up after the second main mission with all of the dogs lurking around. Is there anyway to finish that mission without triggering the gas explosion?

Strangely enough... I hated that mission. It was easily the worst part of the game for me. A linear, scripted sequence that didn't make sense within the game world (how are the dogs there still alive? A random bear?). It felt like it was done by a junior design team.

Isn't that part of the DLC?
(And no, there's no way to not trigger the explosion - I tried - and that played into my distaste for the scene.)

Isak_Borg

Strangely enough... I hated that mission. It was easily the worst part of the game for me. A linear, scripted sequence that didn't make sense within the game world (how are the dogs there still alive? A random bear?). It felt like it was done by a junior design team.

Isn't that part of the DLC?
(And no, there's no way to not trigger the explosion - I tried - and that played into my distaste for the scene.)

I think it was the fact that I was in an empty house at three in the morning and the last thing I expected was to find that derelict facility. I figured it was going to be a random mission but the fact that it was just kind of there and added nothing to the narrative was jarring/disconcerting. I really didn't think about the dogs that much in a game where magical tattoos turn you into a one man army... Started playing this after Spec Ops: The Line and it's weird coming into a narrative that seems to try to hit the same beats but doesn't really know where to go with it. It's even noticeable in the Black fade out VS White fade out that is directly lifted from Spec Ops but without any of the subtlety .

I'm Definitely having fun battling the frame rate, wonky narrative & the brilliant A.I.

Nemesis_

Quick question guys, would appreciate a quickish response as I am wandering the island while I wait (I would Google but I am averse to spoilers)

What mission do you cross over onto
the second island? The name if possible.

Following that, is it possible to return
to the first island?

Nome

Agreed, their games (and likely design process) revolve around ticking off boxes, and they see adding content as a player being able to tick off more boxes. Collect feathers. Collect memory cards. Collect letters. Not enough? Okay add some relics that the player can collect.

It's nice for OCD players, but for everyone else it feels inane.
I think it's more a symptom of open-world games. When you give a player a sandbox, it's difficult to justify from a production standpoint a substantial amount of meaningful optional content when you can't be certain the player will experience it.

KingKong

Wingsuit rules really hard, wish they gave it to you way earlier though, second island is too flat and I already did most of the sidemissions on the first

smr00

Banned
As someone who has a stupid fear of water levels/sharks in games, how many times would you say you are forced into shark and under water situations?

Nemesis_

As someone who has a stupid fear of water levels/sharks in games, how many times would you say you are forced into shark and under water situations?

I have a stupid fear too. You don't really have to unless you wanna go exploring.

I love the tension though. It's just perfect, especially if you need to run away from a group of enemies but the water is filled with fins *.*

It's not very often. Only one main story mission actually forces you into the ocean. If you're OCD like me, then collection items placed in the water in sunken ships will give you some tension and fear. It still gets me every time when I go deep diving as I'm just WAITING for a shark to rip into me. Love it though!

smr00

Banned
I have a stupid fear too. You don't really have to unless you wanna go exploring.

I love the tension though. It's just perfect, especially if you need to run away from a group of enemies but the water is filled with fins *.*
I don't even know why i have this fear.

I can't even play games like Bioshock because the first part of the game had you underwater and i can't play dead space 1+2 because of how terrifying the atmosphere is and the kicker? the kicker is that i am a HUGE horror film fan, i have over 800 dvd/blu-rays and i would say at least 40-50% are horror specific yet i cannot play horror games :(

Grisby

That's all it has going :(

How's the co-op? Is it easy to get into a game, are randoms using mics or do you have to get a mumble/Skype room up?
Co=op is fun. Hard, and it really is left for dead. Have to work together as a team. I'm on 360 and everyone is using a mark.

A nice feature and I might even go through one or two of them again. They can get long, especially if you fail a lot

FC3's campaign missions continually get worse the longer I play. The openworld is absolutely brilliant and really allows you to approach the outposts any way you see fit.

It's too bad Ubi Montreal had to horsefuck the story missions into "do it this way or fail". That style of game design is utter garbage and sadly it seems to be a part of the ubisoft design credo across all their IP nowadays. It's utter bullshit to see "leaving mission area" in an openworld game. WTF Ubi you've successfully made an openworld sandbox into a shitty scripted hallway.

Of course i don't know why im so surprised they did the same thing to the first 5-6 hrs of AC3...Bravo morons!

legacyzero

Banned
I'm pretty much done with the interior of the Lab for Groznyj Grad.
ibpan37o3Vw9Vs.png

How'd I do??

TripOpt55

The last couple of missions follow up directly with no chance to freeroam. The game will warn you when this is about to happen, and ask you if you want to proceed.

However, you will return to the open world after the last missions, so there is no point of no return like Far Cry 2 had.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will just finish anything I didn't get to after. Long ways to go Still anyway.

Nemesis_

Quick question guys, would appreciate a quickish response as I am wandering the island while I wait (I would Google but I am averse to spoilers)

What mission do you cross over onto
the second island? The name if possible.

Following that, is it possible to return
to the first island?

Could I get an answer for this, if possible?

FC2 had the best Fire ever. I would often just light fires to watch it, amazing. that, the moving foliage and the lighting when in a boat on the river were heads and shoulders above FC3

I'm disappointed that Ubi took out the best thing from FC2 but I'm happy they fixed all the horrible things.

It's a bittersweet feeling. I miss the fire.

Pyronite

I don't even know why i have this fear.

I can't even play games like Bioshock because the first part of the game had you underwater and i can't play dead space 1+2 because of how terrifying the atmosphere is and the kicker? the kicker is that i am a HUGE horror film fan, i have over 800 dvd/blu-rays and i would say at least 40-50% are horror specific yet i cannot play horror games :(

Did you grow up around water? I grew up on the beach and have found since moving inland that a lot of people are afraid of going in the ocean, even a few feet in, because they don't know what's where.

FC3's campaign missions continually get worse the longer I play. The openworld is absolutely brilliant and really allows you to approach the outposts any way you see fit.

It's too bad Ubi Montreal had to horsefuck the story missions into "do it this way or fail". That style of game design is utter garbage and sadly it seems to be a part of the ubisoft design credo across all their IP nowadays. It's utter bullshit to see "leaving mission area" in an openworld game. WTF Ubi you've successfully made an openworld sandbox into a shitty scripted hallway.

Of course i don't know why im so surprised they did the same thing to the first 5-6 hrs of AC3...Bravo morons!

Wow.

Tell us how you really feel.

Pyronite

Could I get an answer for this, if possible?

It's possible to pass back to the first island just by swimming, and I don't know the name of the quest, but when Willis asks you to get on a plane, you'll be going. Run away and exit the quest if you want.

Absolutely in love with this game. I've found myself drifting off into hunting escapades and finding outposts, towers, and random pirates in areas than completing the SP missions.

iddqd

You are not alone!

I thought my gtx 260 wouldn't be able to handle this game, so I bought the 360 version instead...big mistake. This game runs soooo badly on the 360. Screen tearing everywhere and the worst framerate I've seen since LA Noire.

ezekial45

Banned
So do more weapons pop up? I'm doing missions for Buck,
and I think about about close to the end of the first island
, I'm starting to get some Signature weapons. Will I get some more weapons that I can purchase and deck out in stores?

Also, is the second island about the same length (in terms of content) as the first one? This game is pretty lengthy, and I'll be very pleased if it's as content rich as the first.

Nemesis_

, I'm starting to get some Signature weapons. Will I get some more weapons that I can purchase and deck out in stores?

Also, is the second island about the same length (in terms of content) as the first one? This game is pretty lengthy, and I'll be very pleased if it's as content rich as the first.

You get weapons from the store. I think there's no more than ten signature weapons but I could be wrong. I've noticed most of the weapons come from Relics and other collectibles.

I'm trying to think about how to say this without being spoilery, but that scene where you
battle and murder Vaas was just so powerful and impactful.
I am absolutely in love with the presentation.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Second island you get new weapons to purchase / unlock for "free".

6 signature weapons in total;

• Shadow - custom 1911 pistol with larger magazine, silencer and better accuracy - unlocked by taking over 17 enemy camps
  • Shredder - custom Vector .45 SMG with reflex sight, suppressor, extended magazine and better accuracy & damage - unlocked by collecting 10 memory cards
  • Bull - custom M133 shotgun with extended shell capacity & greater damage - unlocked by finding 10 relics
  • Bushman - custom P416 with optical scope, extended magazine, suppressor and better accuracy & damage - unlocked by activating all the radio towers
  • Ripper - custom MKG LMG with optical scope, extended magazine, better accuracy & damage and low recoil - unlocked by completing 6 Trials of the Rakyat
  • AMR - custom Z93 with extended magazine, high power scope, explosive rounds and better damage - unlocked by finding 20 relics

Plus, the
Japanese Tanto sword with increased damage - unlocked by finding 6 Lost Letters

Raxus

It says in the handbook I am missing a weapon but I have unlocked all the signature weapons and the tanto. Weird.

Just finished the main story. Amazing but I have to say it really climaxed at
Vaas, who is totally still alive.

Raptomex

I asked a few pages back. Never got an answer. Playing on PC. KB&M. Anyone had a problem with turning the hang glider? I have my controls set but I can't turn the hang glider left and right when in the air?

Nemesis_

Just finished the main story. Amazing but I have to say it really climaxed at
Vaas, who is totally still alive.

I've only just got to the part where
you "kill" him
but I am PRAYING TO THE GODS that
he is still alive and it was done in a weird or trippy way to elude to that.

Yerolo

Well, I think I'm done with FC3. Total playtime just over 40hrs

farcry3.jpg

Really can't be assed running around picking up letters & relics to 100% it

Great game, if it wasn't for Walking Dead being released this year, it would have been my GOTY. A well deserved #2 though

Raxus

I've only just got to the part where
you "kill" him
but I am PRAYING TO THE GODS that
he is still alive and it was done in a weird or trippy way to elude to that.

*Warning plot spoilers for the halfway point in the game*
People seem to say you 'killed' him but you never see a body and Citra is a crazy bitch so I am willing to bet that he will back in DLC. Can never keep a good bad guy down.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Just beat the game on PS3. Did all the outposts, radio towers a ton of ! quests, and quite a few skull quests--didn't do any of the hunting ones...are they any fun?

And I honestly didn't notice any framerate problems at all...and definitely didn't notice any tearing really.

FLEABttn

Banned
Is FC3 causing hard locks that reboot the system and invoke the filesystem warning on other people's PS3's or is my PS3 fucked?

Top Bottom