• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

So I have done 5 missions till now, but it still says 0/14 story quests, are these seperate quests? I thought I was progressing through the story already.

Derrick01

Banned
Man. That sounds like exactly the problem Derrick01 had with this game.

At this point, I'd actually be willing to buy DLC if it provided me with more interesting side missions.

It pretty much was my main problem. Not in terms of numbers because there is a lot to do, but the large majority of what is listed there is really not fun to do outside of a couple of times.

TurkishEmperor said:
So I have done 5 missions till now, but it still says 0/14 story quests, are these seperate quests? I thought I was progressing through the story already.

Yeah the main story missions are listed at the top of the handbook. I think there are 38. What you found is what is basically the side quests, and they are terribly basic.

Yeah the main story missions are listed at the top of the handbook. I think there are 38. What you found is what is basically the side quests, and they are terribly basic.

I went into the cave to get mushromms to save the girl
. I'm pretty sure this is story related, but it still says 0/14 story quest in the handbook, while the mission quests say 5/38 or something. What are the story quests then?

Derrick01

Banned
I went into the cave to get mushromms to save the girl
. I'm pretty sure this is story related, but it still says 0/14 story quest in the handbook, while the mission quests say 5/38 or something. What are the story quests then?

The story quests are those blue ! icons that show up when you clear outposts I believe. They're essentially side "missions" if you can even call them that because the ones I did were just drive to this spot and do a really basic action and then drive back. I guess they name these story quests because there's usually a tiny backstory given by the NPCs you meet but yeah it was poorly named.

Pyronite

It pretty much was my main problem. Not in terms of numbers because there is a lot to do, but the large majority of what is listed there is really not fun to do outside of a couple of times.

Realistically, the solution then is not to do them.

In terms of pure game design, I clearly see how you see it as a complaint, but in reality, a very small percentage of players are actually going to be completionists -- the world is full of these items and events and you run across things you need (money, skill, items) by happenstance. You don't have to submit yourself to something you don't find enjoyable (doing everything) unless you decide it's fun or the payoff is worthwhile.

Klocker

I hope someone releases some kind of mod that just switches outposts back to the pirates whenever you want. It could give back some of the make-your-own-fun that was both a boon and a bane to FC2

Ubisoft please release a patch for consoles that allow this (ala Crackdown)

In terms of pure game design, I clearly see how you see it as a complaint, but in reality, a very small percentage of players are actually going to be completionists -- the world is full of these items and events and you run across things you need (money, skill, items) by happenstance. You don't have to submit yourself to something you don't find enjoyable (doing everything) unless you decide it's fun or the payoff is worthwhile.

Exactly.... game is chock full of stuff just exploring around and getting in skirmishes... I realize some people like everything structured (not me) and I can't understand some of the complaints past a certain point. Eventually (about 5 pages ago) I just tune them out as that vocal minority of people who will never be happy unless it is PERFECT and done the way they want it for them.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
I had fun for a little while till the motion sickness started kicking in. Bummed out I didn't see any options to turn off motion blur and head bobbing.

Derrick01

Banned

It's a good thing I played this on PC otherwise my trophy whoring would have dictated that I do everything, but as it stands I left most of the activities way incomplete. But that still counts as a negative for this game because so much of what was there was not worth doing at all. I barely got over 20 hours in this game with doing the story and all of the outposts and radio towers because of how much I "had" to skip due to it being so inconsequential.

No. Not by any means.

Feel free to name something better looking in the open world context. I don't even think the mighty RDR stands up, though that's the only one that comes close.

I'm in total agreement. I completely burnt myself out. Haven't even finished the game, second island though, but all outposts and towers. Don't know when I'll finish as I haven't had the urge to play in a few days.

It does some really cool things though.

We're talking about looks, right?

Man, these are some smart ass pirates.

You can be a mile away hidden in brush, take one of them out with a silenced sniper rifle, and at least one will know exactly where you are hiding and run right to you.

Their leader has trained them well, it seems!

REV 09

Just finished. Loved the ending(s). Story ended up being quite good. Great game overall, but not goty caliber. I wish there was something meaningful to do that isn't part of the main story. It all just seems like basic open world filler. Some of it is fun, but the side missions do get old after a bit. The performance of this game was all over the place for me on pc. It looked amazing at times, but abysmal indoors/caves.

Best Far Cry game though.

This is crazy, I had no idea you could "pull up" with the
wingsuit
. I always thought the "press A for parachute" was kind of a "press A right now or you're gonna run into the ground and fucking die" warning.

ahem. u know how the other guy spoiler that certain item?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
great post

Wow, great post. I feel like Ubisoft is turning into a "stupid blinking shit" game factory where tall of their big games are becoming the same thing. They're not even hiding the similar mechanics anymore! I mean, radio towers!

cackhyena

You can be a mile away hidden in brush, take one of them out with a silenced sniper rifle, and at least one will know exactly where you are hiding and run right to you.

? I've sniped from really far away, and when the other guy becomes aware, he look in the general direction I've shot from and the visibility meter goes up, but they've never come rushing straight to my position. Not unless I was already exposed.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow, great post. I feel like Ubisoft is turning into a "stupid blinking shit" game factory where tall of their big games are becoming the same thing. They're not even hiding the similar mechanics anymore! I mean, radio towers!

Yeah to me the radio towers are like tiny but perfect examples of everything wrong with Ubisoft's open world games. What is the point of these things? They're not challenging to climb at all, they creak and sway like there's a risk of falling but you quickly learn they won't, and all they do is somehow magically reveal portions of the land on your map. But would anything be lost if they simply weren't there and the whole area was revealed from the start? Not really. It's pure busywork to show off the pretty landscape which is fine for a time or two, but not 18 times.

Nome

They look at the blood spatter direction, huehuehue.

vidcons

Banned
Ugh, every time I find something cool to do the game figures out a way to ruin it.

Searching for relics is probably the only activity I'm enjoying now. I went from digging this to being tired of every fucking portion of my screen being used to point me in the direction of shit I don't care about.

Think I'll get the complete mod for Stalker and save myself all of this trouble.

Pyronite

What is this really based on? Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed? One game developed by Ubisoft Montreal taking cues from the most successful series Ubisoft has ever had?

I can't think of anything outside of that that fits the "blinking shit" game factory mode. And game factory seems like a pretty crappy way to portray people who put years of their life into a game.

zulfate

Yeah to me the radio towers are like tiny but perfect examples of everything wrong with Ubisoft's open world games. What is the point of these things? They're not challenging to climb at all, they creak and sway like there's a risk of falling but you quickly learn they won't, and all they do is somehow magically reveal portions of the land on your map. But would anything be lost if they simply weren't there and the whole area was revealed from the start? Not really. It's pure busywork to show off the pretty landscape which is fine for a time or two, but not 18 times.

I find the towers to be fun. At first i hated hunting/towers because how gamey they feel but i grew to really enjoy them.

Yeah, I can see that. But what does it have to do with looks? I still think RDR beats it, personally. It is pretty gorgeous on my 3570k OC'ed with a gtx 670 running it at max, though.

Feel free to name something better looking in the open world context. I don't even think the mighty RDR stands up, though that's the only one that comes close.

We're talking about looks, right?

Apologies, I was on my phone at the time and mis-read the posts.

I thought something else was in question.

Derrick01

Banned
What is this really based on? Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed? One game developed by Ubisoft Montreal taking cues from the most successful series Ubisoft has ever had?

I can't think of anything outside of that that fits the "blinking shit" game factory mode. And game factory seems like a pretty crappy way to portray people who put years of their life into a game.

The alert rings were taken from Splinter Cell Conviction.

I find the towers to be fun. At first i hated hunting/towers because how gamey they feel but i grew to really enjoy them.

I am honestly interested in hearing why you think they're fun though. Because they don't offer any kind of challenge or real purpose to the gamer. You quite literally just hold the stick to move and occasionally press A to jump and auto climb up.

The one thing I did like was on the 2nd island being able to
wingsuit off
of them to help me cut the distance between the next tower in half.

Oh for fuck sake! Just loaded up to find "new game" as my only option when I've been playing my proper playthrough on a save of a couple hours.

Does anyone know how I get it working again? I don't wanna do the intro again...

legacyzero

Banned
Finally finished.

Great game and story overall.

Not really a spoiler, but my thoughts about the story in general, I'll tag it anyway.
A bit pissed at the ending, no necessarily that it's bad, but because there was a FUCKING METRIC TON of missed potential for it. It's like Ubisoft only realized the potential they had when it was too late and production was already well under way.

Otherwise, certainly a GOTY contender.

Xanathus

They even ripped off Doom and made the game's player perspective first-person and even made shooting a primary gameplay mechanic. What a bunch of uncreative hacks.

Grisby

All co-op stuff done. Was fun and people were great over Live. It can get really difficult though in some sections if it's just you and another dude.

Think I might be finally going to the second island. Story missions have been fun and the last set have given me huge Uncharted boners.

Game is a mess technically on 360 though. Hurts my soul man.

zulfate

I am honestly interested in hearing why you think they're fun though. Because they don't offer any kind of challenge or real purpose to the gamer. You quite literally just hold the stick to move and occasionally press A to jump and auto climb up.

The one thing I did like was on the 2nd island being able to
wingsuit off
of them to help me cut the distance between the next tower in half.

Sometimes i play a game or watch a movie and you know i just kinda go with it, if the developer put it there and design the whole thing around going up there sure ill do it because to me it's a fun enough distraction from animals and running and killing. Also a big reason is i get high when i play games and sometimes scenery or a nice set piece or even a simple gameplay mechanic that awards me a nice visual punch is good enough.

legacyzero

Banned
Groznyj Grad. Almost done.

igcoF6TUqdGzV.png

Jintor

I just unlocked the second island and the story... jesus christ, the story.
Completely batshit insane 'look at this, aren't we smart' drug-addled haze nonsense, suddenly Citra is all over you, white guy is tribal warrior leader fuck yeah - Urrrrrrrrrgh. Also you get beaten down by a dude standing behind a door AGAIN.
. The only vaguely interesting thing still is Dennis, who remains awesome (even if he doesn't actually seem to get out and do much).

I despise Jason Brody. I'm going to pretend he's in a drug haze for the rest of the game. He probably is, the amount of crap I've been shooting into his veins.

Finally finished.

Great game and story overall.

Not really a spoiler, but my thoughts about the story in general, I'll tag it anyway.
A bit pissed at the ending, no necessarily that it's bad, but because there was a FUCKING METRIC TON of missed potential for it. It's like Ubisoft only realized the potential they had when it was too late and production was already well under way.

Otherwise, certainly a GOTY contender.

End Spoilers:

I found it really strange how in 1 ending Citra throws herself in front of a knife for you and in the other she is happy to fuck you then kill you. Seemed really strange to me.

Salsa

yeah finished. Clocked 30 hours to do all this:

ending was fucking terrible. Entire narrative of the game is an enormous waste of potential and the only good thing about the story gets thrown away so quickly that I cannot believe they fucked it up so bad. Writing is cringe-worthy and I honestly felt it was self-aware because there had to be SOMETHING to it but nope, you're just a douchebag saving a bunch of douchebags.

couple that with the fact that there's really not much to do in the game once you craft everything and such and the game just becomes going through the motions pretty damn quick. It gets really repetitive. First 15 hours or so are really fun, so enjoy that while you can.

I still like the game a lot, but it could have been so much better its not even funny

legacyzero

Banned
So GAF, Help me balance my Groznyj Grad map?

iKTsBYvZKBhmF.png

Starting spawns will be in the Northwest and Southeast corners. The map will fit 16 players, It's not a big map, but rather a medium sized map. I was debating putting a one way sewer under the map (with running water and everything) under the map, but Im worried that it would break up the flow of the game??

Nemesis_

I really wish, just for fun, one or two of them would crumble just to mix things up a bit. I was kind of expecting it.

Did anyone enjoy the soundtrack as much as I did, though? I really love it.

The licensed songs were used appropriately and the original pieces were nice, I felt.

I agree that there are so many similarities between this and Assassin's Creed however.

Heck, it opens with the same fucking Alice in Wonderland quote and the protagonist is much less interesting than the villain.

I have to say that, unlike Assassin's Creed III, I had no problems with glitching or progression stopping bugs and such.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm not getting any button prompts with a electrical box at a radio tower. Glitch?

Never had that happen to me before and got all the towers up and running no problem. Sounds like you found something new.

yeah finished. Clocked 30 hours to do all this:

ending was fucking terrible. Entire narrative of the game is an enormous waste of potential and the only good thing about the story gets thrown away so quickly that I cannot believe they fucked it up so bad. Writing is cringe-worthy and I honestly felt it was self-aware because there had to be SOMETHING to it but nope, you're just a douchebag saving a bunch of douchebags.

couple that with the fact that there's really not much to do in the game once you craft everything and such and the game just becomes going through the motions pretty damn quick. It gets really repetitive. First 15 hours or so are really fun, so enjoy that while you can.

I still like the game a lot, but it could have been so much better its not even funny

Told you so.

KingKong

Just finished it

boss fights being QTEs is the worst. It's been a trend for a while now (the last few COD games, Battlefield 3), but it's completely unsatisfying. Whatever happened to just designing something with a bunch of enemies to get through to the boss and then just shooting him?

Top Bottom