• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Dries

So.... could I push for maximum quality settings with this setup? Also, I don't need 60 fps. 45 is fine too.

i5 2500k 3.3ghz
8 GB Ram
ATI 6970 2 GB
res: 1920 x 1080

If not, how far could I go?

d00d3n

What is the most painless ways to restart "taking over outpost" challenges? Is dying the only option? (I am trying to stay undetected)

Btw, is silenced sniper the most effective no detection strategy or what is?

cackhyena

So.... could I push for maximum quality settings with this setup? Also, I don't need 60 fps. 45 is fine too.

i5 2500k 3.3ghz
8 GB Ram
ATI 6970 2 GB
res: 1920 x 1080

If not, how far could I go?

If not, going for 45 fps, you'd maybe have to adjust one or two settings to just under highest. You're good.

Overdoziz

Banned
I've asked this several times in this thread already and I don't think I've gotten an answer yet. Is there a way to place objects more precisely with the use of a coordinate or grid system or something? Also, are there rotation snaps? Like 90, 45, 15, etc. degrees. I'm having a tough time placing objects at the exact spot I want to place them at the exact right angle.

I'm on the 360 by the way.

legacyzero

Banned
I've asked this several times in this thread already and I don't think I've gotten an answer yet. Is there a way to place objects more precisely with the use of a coordinate or grid system or something? Also, are there rotation snaps? Like 90, 45, 15, etc. degrees. I'm having a tough time placing objects at the exact spot I want to place them at the exact right angle.

I'm on the 360 by the way.

I'm on the PC version, but I utilized the Editor in FC2 a lot for the 360 (which is basically the same editor).

Objects can be moved and rotated on any axis at 5, 10, 45, and 90 degrees. You just have to pick it in the options, though I'm not sure where they are located for the 360 version. It should pop up when you are attempting to rotate the asset.

No. Not by any means.
I'm in total agreement. I completely burnt myself out. Haven't even finished the game, second island though, but all outposts and towers. Don't know when I'll finish as I haven't had the urge to play in a few days.

It does some really cool things though.

cackhyena

I'm in total agreement. I completely burnt myself out. Haven't even finished the game, second island though, but all outposts and towers. Don't know when I'll finish as I haven't had the urge to play in a few days.

It does some really cool things though.

Yeah, I can see that. But what does it have to do with looks? I still think RDR beats it, personally. It is pretty gorgeous on my 3570k OC'ed with a gtx 670 running it at max, though.

Hela

So I just (end of 1st island spoiler)
killed (?) Vass
and that whole scene didn't make much sense. Is it going to be addressed later or it is what it is?

Other than that, a cool random thing happened - I was going to take an outpost, sniped one of the guys and before I could do anything else three tigers went inside and ate everyone else and I got 1500 epx for being undetected.

So I just (end of 1st island spoiler)
killed (?) Vass
and that whole scene didn't make much sense. Is it going to be addressed later or it is what it is?

Other than that, a cool random thing happened - I was going to take an outpost, sniped one of the guys and before I could do anything else three tigers went inside and ate everyone else and I got 1500 epx for being undetected.

The hallucinations are when the spirits take over

RedSwirl

I've only done like the first two main missions so far, but do the side missions get any more interesting? All I see right now is "kill this guy with a knife" and "hunt this animal" along with some other minigames. Do they get more varied than this? Are there side missions that utilize the gunpaly more?

Also, I heard that the main missions were more linear. I hope that's not true because the open-ended nature of the missions is the main reason I even liked Far Cry 2.

legacyzero

Banned
Mine hits 93C with FC3 but I'm using an overclocked GTX 480 lol, that's actually not a bad temp for these even if it wasn't OC'd. (Replaced stock thermal paste with Arctic silver 5).

Damn, are you trying to burn your house down?! :p

My old 4890 would BSOD at those temps LOL

Wanny

Mine hits 93C with FC3 but I'm using an overclocked GTX 480 lol, that's actually not a bad temp for these even if it wasn't OC'd. (Replaced stock thermal paste with Arctic silver 5).

Old GTX470s could hit those temps too sometimes. Never had a problem.

JRW

Damn, are you trying to burn your house down?! :p

I'd have to admit the first time I felt the air coming out of the videocard exhaust port while under load I didn't expect the amount of heat it's actually generating, the metal plate itself where the monitors connect was also borderline too hot to touch lol.

But Ive been running this same PC since 2010 and nothing has caught on fire yet, My case has decent cooling as well (3 front 80mm intake fans, 1 80mm side exhaust, 1 120mm rear exhaust).

legacyzero

Banned
I'd have to admit the first time I felt the air coming out of the videocard exhaust port while under load I didn't expect the amount of heat it's actually generating, the metal plate itself where the monitors connect was also borderline too hot to touch lol.

But Ive been running this same PC since 2010 and nothing has caught on fire yet, My case has decent cooling as well (3 front 80mm intake fans, 1 80mm side exhaust, 1 120mm rear exhaust).

THIS baby has been PERFECT. Sounds like you need an upgrade :)

Vaas has to be one of the most awesome and memorable villains of this generation. I don't think anyone else is close to him...

Amazing stuff by Ubisoft

Derrick01

Banned
I am so torn on this game. I finished it a couple of days ago and it does have things going for it but it's held back by SO many modern gamey elements and bad design decisions, so much that it not only stops this game from being truly great but actually reduces it to being a merely average game. I actually reached a point about 10-12 hours in, with about 15 story missions done, 10 outposts cleared and 10 radio towers found, where I sat back and realized just how little there is to do in this game. Don't misunderstand me, there is a lot of content in this game but almost none of it is worth doing. It really is Skyrim with guns.

The reason why it's like that in this game also ties into some of the design choices they made. It's a typical Ubisoft and modern open world game in general in that they decided that making interesting side quests/missions was too hard so let's just fill the world with random and useless collectibles and basic side missions. Why should I search for 120 relics outside of achievement whoring purposes? Yeah they give xp but you get more than enough in this game to get the worthwhile skills (I only had about 30-35 when I hit max level). Why should I look for the thousands of diamond icons on the map when all they give is worthless junk items? Yeah they provide money but all of the weapons are given to me for doing those boring assassin's creed-like radio towers and there's nothing else worth buying. Why should I do every single hunting/supply/kill sub-mission? After you do a few of each it's the same crap over and over again, yet there's dozens of them to do. As far as the hunting stuff goes the rare animal hides craft the ultimate pouches and items but you rarely ever actually need them.

So once you take those away you're left with the story missions, outposts and radio towers. I can't think of a reason to keep clearing the outposts other than to unlock more fast travel points. Once I got to the 10-12 range cleared (out of 34 I believe) I was extremely tired of doing them as they're very similar. There's always 5-6 guards spread out in the small area and sometimes there's a dog and sometimes there's a locked animal you can free to clear the entire area for you. When I hit the 16 outposts cleared mark I decided to stop trying to take them stealthily because it was too easy and boring and I purposely let them sound the alarm so they would bring in a dozen more guards to make it slightly challenging for me.

But enough about the side content let's talk about the gameplay. As I said at the beginning there are good elements here. I like the way most of the guns feel and I like that you can choose mods for them. For the first 10 hours it's fun running around the world and seeing what it has to offer. It looks amazing at times but admittedly it requires the sun to be in the right spot, otherwise it only looks decent.

But all of this is ruined by bad decisions. Having xp and a skill tree is cliche but not automatically bad, however when a good chunk of the abilities you have to unlock are abilities that are common sense or normal FPS stuff then we have a problem. Why can't Jason figure out how to cook grenades on his own, but can throw them like he's been in the military for years? Is he a moron or simply suffering from video game-itis? There are also a lot of game-breaking takedowns and abilities that can be unlocked in the trees. Enemies being tagged automatically by the binoculars was an awful idea. I like scouting the area first but I don't want a giant marker as I've played video games longer than 1 month. The crafting system is next to useless as you get most guns for free and all you really need is the weapon holster stuff. Anything else you craft just makes the game even easier by letting you carry even more rockets, or even more health syringes, or even more arrows that kill almost every human in 1 hit no matter where it hits them.

The minimap, while gamey and a downgrade from FC2, didn't bother me too much but what did was that the game puts everything on the map. There is no point in exploring when everything is spelled out for you (always available fast travel plays into this too) on a map. Now granted as I already explained there isn't really anything worth finding in this game anyway but if I didn't know that already I would have had hope that there could actually be something good hidden in that shack on the cliff way out in the distance (nope just another diamond icon with trash loot).

One of the biggest disappointments I have with the game is that the fire system has been drastically neutered from FC2. Too many times I started a fire in a packed forest and it immediately died where it began. I don't expect the entire jungle to go up in flames but there's a middle ground between that and the fire not spreading at all. It does happen right at times but it seems to be random. Also for future reference Ubisoft when grass burns it doesn't turn from light green to dark green, and embers that are on pieces of grass that are still burning on their own once the main fire moved on don't look like blobs of orange paint in real life. The fire system never really worked or looked as good as it should have for me unless I was in a specific story mission where the game wanted it to. I almost want to deduct 7 points from the game just for this egregious mistake.

Stealth has been improved in this game and also ruined by things to help the casual get through it easier. Besides the tagging problem there's also the fact that you can throw infinite rocks and the enemy never adapts to it. You can also shoot exploding arrows and it won't alert base. Then you have the "cool" but overpowered takedown moves like the knife throw and the double takedown. It results in an overall sub-par stealth system that makes the game way too easy if you choose to go that route.

The best part of this game is, surprisingly, the relatively linear missions. Many of them provide some much needed diversity from the all-jungle with boring filler content, generic tiny outpost formula. I could have done without the ones that focused on platforming because they made the platforming even more braindead and impossible to fail than Uncharted or Assassin's Creed. And if you're going to make a linear/cinematic story then put some fucking effort into making a good beginning, middle and end. When the game starts you're just thrown right into the middle of Vaas' camp and how you got there is relegated to optional (and easily missable) scenes later in the game, because god forbid the casual has to sit through scenes in the beginning where you can't shoot anything. But overall it was an enjoyable FPS campaign in terms of gameplay (the story was a hot mess).

Overall this game was a pretty big disappointment even if it was pretty good for most of the first 10-15 hours. Ubisoft is far too petrified of casuals getting lost or stuck and long time gamers pay the price with dull filler content and gameplay systems that are completely unbalanced and have little depth to them. It's a 6/10 game at best and another disappointing recent open world game. Open world games used to have good side content and exploration but now they just try to out MMO actual MMOs.

Applause for Derrick01.

It's more polished than Far Cry 2 in some respects, and I appreciate aspects of the story and some of the characters, but it really doesn't have the guts or the soul of the game that preceded it.

Derrick01

Banned
Has anyone seen any snakes outside of that cutscene?

I did have one memorable and amusing moment that involved a snake.

I was scoping out a large beach/port area with many enemies and taking them out 1 at a time carefully with my silenced sniper rifle (with ultra zoom mod too!) but I missed a shot and got the attention of a couple of guards. They didn't go into alert mode but they were running towards my area to check things out. I managed to snipe the guy farthest away while he was running but I had to reload as the other guy was closing in on me. I thought for sure I was fucked and was ready to use my assault rifle and shake the hornet's nest but at the very last possible second before the alert bar filled a giant blue snake jumped out of nowhere and killed the guard and slithered away. I managed to clear the area in full stealth thanks to my snake buddy.

MattDoza

Supply drop missions are my favorite part of the game, theyre so much fun
Even more fun is creating a house rule for them: hold down the gas the whole time. No braking.

I rolled an ATV like 3 times but took no health bar hit. I thought that was kind of strange. I haven't been ejected from a vehicle yet either.

Ledsen

Applause for Derrick01.

It's more polished than Far Cry 2 in some respects, and I appreciate aspects of the story and some of the characters, but it really doesn't have the guts or the soul of the game that preceded it.

This sums up my feelings pretty well. It lacks vision and ambition. And yes, Derrick is pretty spot on.

I've only done like the first two main missions so far, but do the side missions get any more interesting? All I see right now is "kill this guy with a knife" and "hunt this animal" along with some other minigames. Do they get more varied than this? Are there side missions that utilize the gunpaly more?

Well, these are the things you can do outside of main missions:

- Liberate 34 outposts
- Kill ? guys with a knife
- Hunt 20 animals
- Find collectibles (money, 180 relics, 20 memory cards, 20 letters)
- Race 30 vehicles to the finish line
- Climb 18 radio towers
- Do 12 high score side missions (Trials of the Rakyat)
- Do a handful of side missions marked ! (usually only a couple of minutes long)

DinnerRevealer

Neo Member
I hope someone releases some kind of mod that just switches outposts back to the pirates whenever you want. It could give back some of the make-your-own-fun that was both a boon and a bane to FC2

Jintor

Well just when I was getting engrossed in the story video game logic had to and rear it's ugly head again:-

So just rescued Liza and brought her along to Daisy who shows us some decrepit boat that looks like something my dad "rescued" from a tip only to send back there when it turned out he had bitten off more than he could chew. Of course Jason being the gullible gopher that he is offers to help repair it forgetting to mention the 10 or so boats that he has encountered in much better shape and the dozen or so jet ski's. I suppose there has to be an arbitrary fetch quest here or there but come on. I have no idea how far Rook Island is from civilization but I'm pretty sure the numerous patrol boats doted around have a range of a couple of hundred miles. Ah well to be expected

Here's my game logic

The cave they're in doesn't connect to the sea. In fact, swim to the other side of the cave and it's a giant rock waterfall.

RedSwirl

Well, these are the things you can do outside of main missions:

- Liberate 34 outposts
- Kill ? guys with a knife
- Hunt 20 animals
- Find collectibles (money, 180 relics, 20 memory cards, 20 letters)
- Race 30 vehicles to the finish line
- Climb 18 radio towers
- Do 12 high score side missions (Trials of the Rakyat)
- Do a handful of side missions marked ! (usually only a couple of minutes long)

Man. That sounds like exactly the problem Derrick01 had with this game.

At this point, I'd actually be willing to buy DLC if it provided me with more interesting side missions.

Top Bottom