• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Eh, really wish they had put new game+ in, or at least reactivated the outposts once you've completed the game - now I have to start all over just to mop up the last few trophies (kill 50 with flamethrower, distract 25 with rocks, win $1500 in poker).

Still, I had a great time playing it though - this time around I'm going to burn through the story, unlock all the skills and then take down all the outposts one by one, as that really is where the fun has been for me. I also enjoyed finding all the relics, but the island is very sparse and could do with more random encounters.

Took me just over 31 hours to finish everything (although I was taking my time - I didn't use the purchasable maps to find relics, as I enjoyed hunting them down on my own and the main map already gives visual clues as to where ruins/bunkers/caves are).

Has anyone seen any snakes outside of that cutscene?

Yep, but only very rarely - they're usually found near the little relic shrines on the tops of hills, in my experience.

Did you know that you can get AMBUSHED by a crocodile even if you're on the boat?! Not even sharks do that. I was looking for the White Albino Crocodile around the swamp area, waiting to craft my Hunter Instinct syringe when a croc grabs me from below and takes me under! It's good I don't have heart problems, or that would give me quite the shock.

The AMR changes everything! Since I'm done with the game, all I do is blow up Rakyat warrior cars coming down the road all the time, it's just glorious. If there was New Game+, I could change my playthrough to a more assault one because getting to hear the gun sounds, using C4, blowing up cars with AMR, improvising would be awesome.

Has anyone seen any snakes outside of that cutscene?

yea a lot! I was starting the prison break mission yesterday, sneaked up on a sniper outpost only to have a king cobra sitting there by the stairs, I took out my silencer and shot it two times but I also alerted the guard lol

pargonta

just started the game up, finished the first zipline tutorial... i'm looking for a way to holster weapons, or equip a knife.

i know holstering is only auto for friendly areas, and apparently i don't have a knife?

*shrugs" this is gonna be good, i can tell.. i just better get a knife soon... i hate having a gun in front of my face the whole time.

SJRB

Gold Member
just started the game up, finished the first zipline tutorial... i'm looking for a way to holster weapons, or equip a knife.

i know holstering is only auto for friendly areas, and apparently i don't have a knife?

*shrugs" this is gonna be good, i can tell.. i just better get a knife soon... i hate having a gun in front of my face the whole time.

You cannot holster your weapon, nor equip a knife. It's a weapon at all times.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit I'm in tears. I'm at the part where
Jason tells Daisy about Frank. It's just so emotional, fuck.

Goldrusher

Holy shit I'm in tears. I'm at the part where
Jason tells Daisy about Frank. It's just so emotional, fuck.
With the exception of Vaas, the "acting" in this game is pathetic.

And by acting, I also mean the wacky dialogue. There's only so much you can do with your lines.

SJRB

Gold Member
With the exception of Vaas, the "acting" in this game is pathetic.

Liza's voice actor did a damn fine job. Dennis and Citra's voice actors did a solid job as well. In fact, aside from Jason himself pretty much everyone delivered a solid performance.

zychi

Banned
is this game strictly steamworks? i just bought a new amd video card and am receiving this, sleeping dogs and hitman with it and i was wondering if they were all steamworks codes? my google-fu on my phone is failing me.

Atruvius

Was just driving a jet ski and found a funny easter egg.
There's sticker on a jet ski that says "CAUTION! Playing videogames may cause violent behavious. Handle with care. Herp derp."

is this game strictly steamworks? i just bought a new amd video card and am receiving this, sleeping dogs and hitman with it and i was wondering if they were all steamworks codes? my google-fu on my phone is failing me.

Nope. Uses uplay.

mileS

6 signature weapons in total;

• Shadow - custom 1911 pistol with larger magazine, silencer and better accuracy - unlocked by taking over 17 enemy camps
  • Shredder - custom Vector .45 SMG with reflex sight, suppressor, extended magazine and better accuracy & damage - unlocked by collecting 10 memory cards
  • Bull - custom M133 shotgun with extended shell capacity & greater damage - unlocked by finding 10 relics
  • Bushman - custom P416 with optical scope, extended magazine, suppressor and better accuracy & damage - unlocked by activating all the radio towers
  • Ripper - custom MKG LMG with optical scope, extended magazine, better accuracy & damage and low recoil - unlocked by completing 6 Trials of the Rakyat
  • AMR - custom Z93 with extended magazine, high power scope, explosive rounds and better damage - unlocked by finding 20 relics

Plus, the
Japanese Tanto sword with increased damage - unlocked by finding 6 Lost Letters

it sucks you can't get the Bushman until yea... I mean at that point what is there left to do with it ya know? really sucks because im a big assault rifle guy. *edit wow I can't read apparently. I was thinking enemy base camps not towers*

Salsa

wait I just realized something

I got the deluxe edition

how do I access that content? the monkey business thing and whatnot?

legacyzero

Banned
Hell yeah, the Hangar building for Groznyj Grad dont look half bad. Now for the interior.

iVMCjNV49Gc6d.png

Tankshell

first island: tropical jungle
second island:
English countryside

How so? I've not reached the 2nd island yet... but have read people in here slamming it... stating it feels like an afterthought... which I really hope isn't the case as I am having a blast with the game still.

The flamethrower is cool... but not as cool as FC2. I remember being much more impressed by the spread of fire in FC2. It looked beautiful. Here, the fire just doesn't... seem as impressive, doesn't spread much. Far Cry 2, while I hated it, had the best fire dispersion I'd ever seen.

Is it just me?

Salsa

yeah had to redeem a key on the OPTIONS menu even though I never got even a hint about it

great: new weapons, animals and such when im like 10 mins away from finishing the game. I just figured I hadnt unlocked the content yet.

fucking Ubisoft.

-BLITZ-

The flamethrower is cool... but not as cool as FC2. I remember being much more impressed by the spread of fire in FC2. It looked beautiful. Here, the fire just doesn't... seem as impressive, doesn't spread much. Far Cry 2, while I hated it, had the best fire dispersion I'd ever seen.

Is it just me?

No. Related to fire, here not much gets, well - on fire. I have to throw at least three or four until it actually ignite on someone and I'm very good at aiming or if not Ubisoft made it on purpose.
There are at least few other things downgraded than FC2, I can feel it, but I don't know where to point the finger exactly, is somewhere I can't notice, is trying to blend through the game. Maybe it wasn't that good to combine Dunia with ... ? What is the improvement to Dunia 2; are they using other engines combine ?

Remmy2112

Is it just me?

There are times where the fire I or enemies make barely spreads and then there are times where one of those molotov pirates throws at me and misses then I work on killing his buddies only to have a immense firestorm creep up on my ass.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Do you get anything cool for completing 100% of the game? I've done everything that's not boring. Every outpost liberated, maxed out my character in skills/craftables and every mission done (hunting, assassinating, the ! stuff) except the package deliveries and I haven't found all the relics and letters. There's not much fun left since there are just small pockets of enemies here and there. I guess I might try the challenges, I actually didn't even attempt one yet. Still, I immensely enjoyed the game despite its flaws, it's better than FC2 and better than JC2 too in my opinion because of the way AI works in this game (in JC2 it's boring, here you can use the element of stealth and also fool them a little even after they're alert, changing your position etc). But it could do with being more challenging (I played on hardest) and having crazier stuff like JC2. A mix of the two and less focus on the story would be rad.

But yeah going in all guns blazing with explosions everywhere and flanking and outmaneuvering enemies or taking an outpost completely silently (I loved doing the latter using only the bow and melee, no silenced sniper rifle, I always carried the one that can't have a silencer after I unlocked it to avoid using it for stealth and making the game even easier) is just, well, badass.

I think I had more than in Crysis 1 & 2. Maybe those were more polished as shooters, in graphics, animations, etc, but the situations weren't as varied and stealth wasn't as badass even with their physics systems, suit powers and what not.

Also, I thought my fps was in the 20s most of the time (going between that and 40 when I first tested, then turned fraps off) but I found with further testing it was mostly around 40fps a lot of the time and the game was really jerky even then, it only really felt very smooth when it was around 60 fps, which doesn't happen often with my PC regardless of settings. Any reason for that? I mean, it shouldn't be this jerky at 40fps, I've played other games that felt far smoother under that (ie 30fps on consoles).

KingKong

Man they really went to town modeling that one girls ass, huh, and lol at making her bend over the table right after you finish the mission

cluto

first island: tropical jungle
second island:
English countryside

Am I the only one who liked the
second island more because of its simplicity? The wide open meadows gave me some Far Cry 2 vibes, and seemed more like a real place. The first island is great, but there's usually a waterfall and a river and a cliff face and a cave and a settlement and a ruin and a bunker and an outpost all within a short proximity of each other -- the next thing is just a short hike away, which is not a bad thing, but I liked how spread out everything was on the south island. Maybe I didn't like it more, but I really appreciated the contrast between the two islands.

I think this is my choice for GOTY so far. And maybe even the best FPS of this gen?

Anyway, one of my only beef with this game is the background variety. I know it takes place on a huge island, but is there any variety later on maybe on the other sides, like mountainous areas, volcanic areas, more caves, huge temples to explore, etc.?

Do you get anything cool for completing 100% of the game? I've done everything that's not boring. Every outpost liberated, maxed out my character in skills/craftables and every mission done (hunting, assassinating, the ! stuff) except the package deliveries and I haven't found all the relics and letters.

You get the AMR (Anti-Material Rifle that shoots explosive rounds and can be used to blow up cars in one shot) with 20 Relics. A sword to replace your default melee knife with 6 Letters.

RedSwirl

After liberating that first base I pretty much stopped doing the main storyline and spent an hour hunting shit. How far can you really go before you have to start back on the main quest?

TripOpt55

Is there a point of no return? Does it dump me back in the sandbox after I beat the game or do I have to make a seperate save before finishing? I am only about halfway through the game I'm guessing, but just figured I'd check why I was on here.

Linius

After liberating that first base I pretty much stopped doing the main storyline and spent an hour hunting shit. How far can you really go before you have to start back on the main quest?

You can explore the whole northren island if you want to. If you want to get to the southern island you'll need to proceed the main quest.

Klocker

Is it just me?

FC2 had the best Fire ever. I would often just light fires to watch it, amazing. that, the moving foliage and the lighting when in a boat on the river were heads and shoulders above FC3

SJRB

Gold Member
Is there a point of no return? Does it dump me back in the sandbox after I beat the game or do I have to make a seperate save before finishing? I am only about halfway through the game I'm guessing, but just figured I'd check why I was on here.

The last couple of missions follow up directly with no chance to freeroam. The game will warn you when this is about to happen, and ask you if you want to proceed.

However, you will return to the open world after the last missions, so there is no point of no return like Far Cry 2 had.

Omni

Framerate is really jarring on the Xbox after playing games like Halo 4 and Blops II. Looks shocking if I had to be honest.

I'm only up to sequence 6. Put soo much time into the game. Want to finish the story but also just want to screw around... hmmmmm

Top Bottom