• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

saunderez

I haven't played it on console, but I assume the input latency is really low the way it is on PC. I've had to jiggle with the settings a bit as my PC is aging, but even sub-30 frame rates felt really responsive and stayed smooth, much like Crysis (Dunia is a modified CryEngine, I know). That might explain why people are fine with it.
You might be right there. The frame rate drops when things get busy but the controls never felt laggy to me.

TTG

So, what does the mysterious "do more missions to unlock this skill" message imply? Is it directly tied to the main missions, or can I do a bunch of those wanted missions? Because I really need to get those ninja abilities going. Not to start down that road again, but how stupid are all of the various upgrade mechanics are in this game? Get some XP! Oh, you got it? Well fuck you anyway.

Jintor

It's a hard lock tied to story missions.

It also ensures you'll unlock the 'earn lots of money' skills when you're already drowning in cash

just reached the
second island
and I can't help but feel the game is just dragging out an ending at this point. the game should have ended with
the death of vaas but to extend it to this hoyt character is just padding.

and the fact that the enemies are all basically bullet sponges now is just adding to the frustration. they can take you out in just a few shots, but to put them down requires multiple shots tot he head or body. the ones with body armour are even worse. surviving direct blasts from an rpg or grenade launcher? :/

Rufus

Yeah, I used C4 to kill them in one hit. That or takedowns, once you have the skill that makes them actually work on them. A single head shot from the strongest sniper rifle will do them in, too. Oh, and I believe roasting them works, too.

There's actually quite a few ways to kill them effectively, as I think about it more and more.

It also ensures you'll unlock the 'earn lots of money' skills when you're already drowning in cash
...even after you have bought every (signature) weapon and whatever attachments. It's the most useless skill in the game. The double-underwater take down is close for how situational it is.

TTG

It's a hard lock tied to story missions.

It's like a crazy tale of contradictions. The game has all this potential to be amazing, if it could just get out of its own damn way. An open world game that's always meticulously laying out the exact path you need to take through the missions. XP system that's made irrelevant by hard locking abilities away. Apparently, the crafting options are also tied to the same progression, I just got the option to make exploding arrows out of the blue. Basic functionality locked behind tasks(namely hunting) that should be optional.

Yeah, I used C4 to kill them in one hit. That or takedowns, once you have the skill that makes them actually work on them. A single head shot from the strongest sniper rifle will do them in, too. Oh, and I believe roasting them works, too.

There's actually quite a few ways to kill them effectively, as I think about it more and more.

I tried c4, it only staggered the full armoured ones. same with cooked grenades that blow up directly on them. they just stagger and continue coming. same with explosive arrows. they can an insane amount of damage before dying.

I haven't tried Molotovs yet, will try that later.

Jintor

Car drives away. There is a pig on the road. Next to the pig is an AK47. Further down the road is a dead body. I'm confused.

Car probably ran over the dude.

I've seen a situation where a truck pulls up, two guys get out, they wander around for a bit, then one guy gets back in the car, runs the other guy over, and ganders off. The Rakyat are fucking idiots.

D6AMIA6N

Does anyone know why the FUCK this game takes forever to load on the 360? It says its logging in, then begins downloading gun stats, player stats, a whole bunch of nonsense. It literally takes 5 minutes. Pissing me off so bad....

Are we speaking of the "take down this guy with this weapon" missions? Because they are not fun... how far are you into the story?

Just got to the cave under the doc's house.

The assassination missions are great fun. Simple and repetitive, yes, but it's cool to hunt them down, go in stealth, pick your own approach etc. The main missions, so far, haven't allowed you to do that.

saunderez

Does anyone know why the FUCK this game takes forever to load on the 360? It says its logging in, then begins downloading gun stats, player stats, a whole bunch of nonsense. It literally takes 5 minutes. Pissing me off so bad....
Disconnect from Live, load the game until you're in game and then pull up the guide and sign in. It's a poor workaround but it's all we got when Ubis servers suck for all the social stuff.

5 minutes? it only takes a few seconds for me. could it be a internet connection problem? have you installed the game? if you have, you could always try clearing the hard drive cache, it'd not a guaranteed fix, but it might help.

D6AMIA6N

5 minutes? it only takes a few seconds for me. could it be a internet connection problem? have you installed the game? if you have, you could always try clearing the hard drive cache, it'd not a guaranteed fix, but it might help.

No it's something to do with UPlay. The first thing it says is logging in to server or whatever then it downloads a bunch of crap. I will time it today if I get a chance. I'm not even playing multiplayer so what the F!

derFeef

Just got to the cave under the doc's house.

The assassination missions are great fun. Simple and repetitive, yes, but it's cool to hunt them down, go in stealth, pick your own approach etc. The main missions, so far, haven't allowed you to do that.

Ah yeah. In that regard I prefer liberating outposts because you can aproach them how you want. Guns blazing, stealth, or with the help of a tiger. Who keeps those animals near them in a flimsy cage anyway...

Yeah liberating outposts was the best. A shame there's not more, really, but I'm glad they don't respawn like in FC2.

Basically, this game is really good when it just lets you do what you want. "Go to this point to mark enemies", "You are now leaving the mission area", etc etc is really annoying me in the main game. Let me approach it how I want!

I'm gonna push through though and then just keep having open world fun when I unlock the second island with the outposts/assassination missions etc.

No it's something to do with UPlay. The first thing it says is logging in to server or whatever then it downloads a bunch of crap. I will time it today if I get a chance. I'm not even playing multiplayer so what the F!

sounds terrible. I, fortunately, haven't encountered any issues when first starting the game, it downloads everything you mention but it does it relatively quickly and I'm playing within a minute - 90 seconds of booting the game.

hell, I even loaded uplay last night and it loaded within about 30 seconds. unlocked a new weapon and mission and was back in the game within 90 seconds at the absolute longest.

this isn't of any help, but are your uplay details correct? maybe it's having problems because of details not matching or something.

derFeef

Yep. I would have also loved some RPG mission system, where you can take some missions and then tackle them in what order you want without the mission area crap. The story missions grew on me big time after the cave opened, maybe it will happen to you too, but the open world stuff is still the best. Also surprised you are so fast with doing all that stuff, but maybe I am really slow ;)

D6AMIA6N

sounds terrible. I, fortunately, haven't encountered any issues when first starting the game, it downloads everything you mention but it does it relatively quickly and I'm playing within a minute - 90 seconds of booting the game.

hell, I even loaded uplay last night and it loaded within about 30 seconds. unlocked a new weapon and mission and was back in the game within 90 seconds at the absolute longest.

this isn't of any help, but are your uplay details correct? maybe it's having problems because of details not matching or something.

Thank you for trying to help me. All I used for UPlay was the code in the box. Perhaps the servers were just slow yesterday, but it is a stupid design decision that while it is logging into the Ubisoft servers you can't do anything but wait.

EDIT: Just tried and it was near instantaneous, server load yesterday must have been the culprit.

Yep. I would have also loved some RPG mission system, where you can take some missions and then tackle them in what order you want without the mission area crap. The story missions grew on me big time after the cave opened, maybe it will happen to you too, but the open world stuff is still the best. Also surprised you are so fast with doing all that stuff, but maybe I am really slow ;)

I basically did the first mandatory mission (the one where you do the radio tower then collect some plants) then went off exploring. I went from outpost to outpost, doing towers as I found them, and after a few hours I had done them all! Didn't take as long as I expected, but damn it was fun to just do it that way. Had a nice bit of random hunting and exploring in between, of course.

Hopefully the main SP missions improve, to be fair I've jumped a dozen hours in to the game, unlocked nearly all of my equipment and now I'm getting the tutorial stuff, so it's no surprise it's not clicking.

Zaph

Just finished it. Wow, cannot believe what an amazingly well playing game it is. There aren't many games where I choose to not use the fast travel when given the option, but I found myself (more often than not) actually travelling to the locations I needed to go just to see what random shit would happen on my way. Helped that the game looked gorgeous too.

But I do have to make the obligatory comment about the story. It started off so strong with frequent winks and nods that not everything may be as it seems (especially when
Jason gets stabbed in the chest during the Vaas fight or when he starts talking about if he has enough 'health bars' during the comm station mission
). But then... nothing. It's almost like the entire game was an elaborate set up for an act 3 twist that was removed just prior to release.

Spoilers for the film Repo Men
when Vaas stabbed Jason in the chest but it was never addressed afterwards, I was 99% sure a Repo Men style twist was imminent and Jason was now dead/dying/incapacitated and the rest of the game was a hallucination/fantasy of how he wished he saved the day.

Jintor

Seeing a lot of mixed feelings in this thread. Is this game worthy of a purchase or a rental?

Rental yeah... purchase... maybe at, like, <$30 or so...

I don't know. Spent like 20 hours with it, but at least 10 of those was me desperately attempting to justify having enjoyed the first 10 hours before realising I just wasn't having fun anymore.

Dilly

Banned
Yeah, it's all very fun in the beginning but it starts to get a bit dull after the second island is unlocked, despite the wingsuit you get there.

I just got on with the story and got it out of the way.

eso76

bought the game yesterday and i had the same problem.
At first i thought it was the mandatory 7mb install, so i deleted it and when prompted i said i didn't want to download it which disconnected me from live.

Everything worked fine after that, yeah i imagined it was because of the connection and not the title update itself.

As for the game, i only did the first couple missions and i'm liking it so far; the game gives you a very good feeling of being the hunter, being the jungle itself. Have only just touched the editor, man, the possibilities are endless.

derFeef

Rental yeah... purchase... maybe at, like, <$30 or so...

I don't know. Spent like 20 hours with it, but at least 10 of those was me desperately attempting to justify having enjoyed the first 10 hours before realising I just wasn't having fun anymore.

For what it's worth I am still having plenty of fun after 32hours now, have just reached the second island but it seems a bit bland there, we will see.

Jintor

The wingsuit is especially fun because Far Cry 3 has incredibly weird fall damage detection, so it's possible to leap off a slight incline and glide across half the island

Derrick01

Banned
Seeing a lot of mixed feelings in this thread. Is this game worthy of a purchase or a rental?

Rental. You can get through the story, aka the only worthwhile part of the game, in probably 10-15 hours and then you can get rid of it. Don't concern yourself with most of the open world junk to do because it's exactly that, junk.

Rufus

I tried c4, it only staggered the full armoured ones. same with cooked grenades that blow up directly on them. they just stagger and continue coming. same with explosive arrows. they can an insane amount of damage before dying.
Hm, are you on a higher difficulty? On medium/normal, C4 takes them out if they're close enough. At least it should. Maybe I'm just forgetting some damage they might have taken up to then... Preeeetty sure it kills them in one hit.

I haven't tried Molotovs yet, will try that later.
I'm thinking more like flame thrower. Bun dem~

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
This game is fun when I start it up but I feel absolutely nothing compelling me to actually start it up in the first place. Repetitive design and minimal story are basically holding me back. I got this on launch day but I'm probably less than halfway through the game. Is it worth continuing?

legacyzero

Banned
Multiplayer is better than I thought, considering its still shitty multiplayer. At least it has great meta game, and the user made maps are getting better and better.

Dunkelgrau

My savegame is gone (Steam, Windows 8, UPlay online)!

Today I played from Nostalgia to mission 21 or something. I took me about six hours. Auto-Save was enabled, but before I left the game, I saved manually, too. After lunch I went back to the game and there are two save games: Both in front of the Nostalgia. All my progress was gone.

I really need youre help now, GAFers.

Laughter 7

Neo Member
My mini-review of this game:

Like almost all single-player games, even supposed AAA titles, this game's biggest weakness for me as a grown adult is that it is patently directed at and meant to be consumed by children. I would say the average age of the target audience for this game is something around 13-14 year old males. This is reflected in the cartoonish graphical style, scenery-chewing acting, ridiculous plot, lack of any real story arc, and the childish and immature writing. I mean, can you imagine a film coming out that's supposed to be directed at adults and the lead protagonist is shot and killed 3 times throughout the film only for him live every single time? Or a film with such a convoluted plot? So what's happening, I'm being sold into slavery? Okay then, but wait, now I'm on a quest for a 'magical' artifact... Now I'm in an ancient temple fucking some broad with a trendy haircut... Now I just killed the main bad guy, but it turns out there's another even badder guy... Now I'm on my fourth extended drug trip...

Now for the good: the graphics are at times awe-inspiring. Really liked the way the jungle foliage looked. I can kind of see why some PC nerds don't feel as though this game looks good, as some of the textures are quite low-res and the scenery detail is sometimes very sparse even on Ultra, but I don't think those things ruin the look of the game at all. I also think it handles quite well. Combat felt right and some of othe weapons are really enjoyable to use (e.g. the greanade launcher). There's also plenty to do in the way of side missions, so if value for money is a consideration for you then you will get plenty here.

Overall... 8/10. Well worth playing and better than 90% of the games out there, but there's a lot of padding and it would have been better had it had a more mature tone, like for exaple the film that it borrowed heavily from, The Beach.

Granted, I'm only up to
after saving Liza
in the storyline but I haven't noticed ANY instance of this douchey, cocky, arrogant Jason Brody people were talking about. I've been looking for it, too. Where did this idea come from? Or am I just not far enough in the game? He has a normal voice, he hasn't said anything dudebro-ish, I haven't noticed anything and people were saying "Jason is horrrrrible, hate him!" and so on. Yeah, it's far-fetched for a normal guy to be able to become rambo in a sense but this is a video game... surely that's not why people hate him as tons of other games have similar characters (Gordon Freeman).

Jintor

Gordon Freeman has no personality whatsoever, not a great comparison

Dudebro Jason shows up more in flashbacks, check the drugs in the cave.

saunderez

Granted, I'm only up to
after saving Liza
in the storyline but I haven't noticed ANY instance of this douchey, cocky, arrogant Jason Brody people were talking about. I've been looking for it, too. Where did this idea come from? Or am I just not far enough in the game? He has a normal voice, he hasn't said anything dudebro-ish, I haven't noticed anything and people were saying "Jason is horrrrrible, hate him!" and so on. Yeah, it's far-fetched for a normal guy to be able to become rambo in a sense but this is a video game... surely that's not why people hate him as tons of other games have similar characters (Gordon Freeman).
It's a typical overreaction in my opinion. There's nothing inherently unlikeable about anyone in the game, in fact I think several characters are leagues ahead of most games. And yes I've seen all the flashbacks, I still don't see it.

Jintor

Not talking about personality...I was just referencing how other 'normal' guys became killing machines.

The main difference is probably the attempt to ground it in story. Far Cry 3 begins very heavily with an emphasis on "Oh god, I can't do this, what the fuck I've never killed a guy" but the moment you're let loose into the open world Jason can shank guys like he's been practising for this moment his entire life, and it's only in story scenes where he expresses any kind of worry about it or consideration of the fact that he's murdering hundreds and hundreds of people - and even then he never really addresses it or anything. Freeman on the other hand isn't so much 'normal' as he is a walking camera; with no discernible personality to get hung up on, suddenly killing dudes (especially marines who are out to kill you, especially given the situation) isn't much of a big deal.

My main thing is just that, well, Brody's an idiot and I hate him. Fuck that guy.

just reached the
second island
and I can't help but feel the game is just dragging out an ending at this point. the game should have ended with
the death of vaas but to extend it to this hoyt character is just padding.

and the fact that the enemies are all basically bullet sponges now is just adding to the frustration. they can take you out in just a few shots, but to put them down requires multiple shots tot he head or body. the ones with body armour are even worse. surviving direct blasts from an rpg or grenade launcher? :/

Agree. The game should have ended at that point.
Hoyt character felt so generic, Vaas shouldve been the ending.

AHA-Lambda

Got it for xmas on the 360 and damn the game is night and day from what I've seen on PC. I know this is obvious but it ain't even a very good looking game on 360 I'd say =/

Gotta say I had high hopes after all the buzz this has been getting, and Vass had always intrigued me too but I'm just not seeing much that's special about this yet to draw me in. Little disappointed, but could be my own expectations, I don't know.

PS: And yeah the UPlay connection issues are starting to really piss me off.

Top Bottom