• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Rufus

So, would you then say stick with normal? Because thus far normal - I've only died once against a Tiger.

It was pretty sad to see that once my health was "depleted" - I put my controller down and it took literally 10 seconds for me to die even when there were about 3 guys right next to me shooting at me.
Normal is OK with weapon tagging turned off. I don't even know what the higher difficulties change, specifically. If it's just enemy health, then I wouldn't even bother. I approached it the same way I did stealth. Careful and considered, intent on never getting seen, but once things went sideqays I accepted it and threw everything I had at them. So: play carefully, but if you find yourself near death (and stay there for a long time) just take it in stride. It's melodramatic, but It's saving you a re-load, or in this case, a walk back to the same spot. That would be my suggestion, anyway, not knowing what the higher difficulty changes, exactly. If it modifies the AI as well, then it might be worth playing that way. I think snipers for instance don't take every shot they could.

Just got to the
second island
, and my drive to complete this game is gone. How much longer is it? I'm interested, but if I can't finish it in the next couple of days I probably won't ever pick it up again.
Only a handful of missions left at that point. Check the handbook, the first page has statistics, the first of which is the number of main missions you've played. It'll show exactly how much game you have left.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I HATE games that takes many dozen hours to complete but reward the player only a 1-3 minutes ending, if even that long. Fuck that shit.

At least appreciate those who have the will to complete the game you lazy ass developer, sigh.

TTG

My second play session must have lasted just over 3 hours and I only did one main mission. That sniper challenge you get around the second tower(if you're not running around unlocking them out of order) is a bitch! The second to last difficulty is fine, but then you go to expert and all the birds fly out without a pause. Give me a chance to reload! Does the amusement park feel of the side missions break the continuity the story tries to build? Sure. Do I care? Not really. Ripping through the jungle on a quad is fun, circumstances don't feel so dire after all.

Anyway, this game delivers. What I need now is a good dose of quality combat encounters. If it can deliver on that with the main missions, that will be swell. Some other thoughts:

-I suck with the bow. Can't judge distance for shit. How do I unlock exploding arrows and stuff? It seems a bit more trouble than it's worth at the moment.

-Locking away basic functionality i.e. wallet size and ability to carry multiple weapons behind the hunting mechanic is ridiculous. And obnoxious. And flat out stupid. Must have been the same designer that decided to remind the player about the main mission every 20 seconds. That is unless you're already locked into another mission, at which point you can only reset that state through the pause menu... in an open world game, yea.

-I don't think the game needs an exp/level up system on top of all the other crap that's going on. Just let me drop down on top of a dude while stabbing him right off the bat. This isn't an ability from Dishonored that will unbalance the whole game if I get access to it early.

-I miss the buddy rescue from Far Cry 2, really miss it. So far, the only thing my native friends have done for me is run me over with one of their boats while I was out hunting for sharks.

Jintor

I HATE games that takes many dozen hours to complete but reward the player only a 1-3 minutes ending, if even that long. Fuck that shit.

At least appreciate those who have the will to complete the game you lazy ass developer, sigh.

Man, persona 4's epilogue

lolololol

to be fair, its startup is roughly four hours long

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man, persona 4's epilogue

lolololol

to be fair, its startup is roughly four hours long

Wait what? Persona 4? That's pretty random, hahaha. I am actually commenting on this game and not Persona 4...?

Are you sure you're not confusing this thread with the Persona 4 thread...?

Rikyfree

Just got this game and played a bit for xmas. WOW, absolutely loving it. Someone called it Skyrim with guns, dont know about that. I describe it more like Turistas meets Die Hard in videogame form. LOVING IT!

Jintor

Wait what? Persona 4? That's pretty random, hahaha. I am actually commenting on this game and not Persona 4...?

Are you sure you're not confusing this thread with the Persona 4 thread...?

nah... was just thinking about FC3's "Oh lol here's a minute-long video after you pick and chose which ending you would like off an A-B menu" and Persona's "Here's a long playable end-sequence where you talk to everyone you ever met in the game to date"

Hallelujah! I'm done with the co-op, the worst Ive ever seen in a videogame, thank god I don't have to play it again.

Just finished this splitscreen with the wife, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Every mission just felt like "CLEAR THESE GUYS OUT!" or "PROTECT ME AS I DELIVER THIS BOMB". Completely unlike the main game, I kept having to explain to her that the main game was a lot more fun and I didn't just spent 25 hours doing these kinds of missions.

Just finished this splitscreen with the wife, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Every mission just felt like "CLEAR THESE GUYS OUT!" or "PROTECT ME AS I DELIVER THIS BOMB". Completely unlike the main game, I kept having to explain to her that the main game was a lot more fun and I didn't just spent 25 hours doing these kinds of missions.

Indeed! 6 mission going through the same boring carry bomb/defend this place missions was one of the most off putting things Ive ever done in a game. A horrible contrast with the main game.

Got almost to the end and just stopped playing, boring. The missions at this point feel unnecessary and tacked on for no reason but to lengthen the game. I'll come back to it one day, maybe.

Finished the game. Got all the trophies and platinum on ps3, fairly easy but time consuming. I think it was a good game with ALOT of flaws. I didn't like the multiplayer, hated the awlful co-op. They should've left them out of the game and focused more on the campaign and put more detail in the islands.

I wish Vaas had a bigger role, one of the best villains in videogames in a long time. Overall the characters were really good, save for Hoyt and Sam.

Rufus

Being German I thought his accent was awfully fake. I don't know anyone who ends sentences in "ja?" all the time. It was probably another one of those intentional exaggerations though, so whatever.
At least he didn't betray you, like I expected he would.

Early game spoiler, really nothing but I'll tag it: The little cut scene when you meet
Daisy
at Dr. Earnhardt's house (when she awakens) was SO well done. The subtle music playing in the background was so good. The voice-acting, facial expressions, mannerisms, even the dialogue, holy mackerel. When Jason tells her
Grant died
, perfectly done. This type of scene would be "pretty good" in a real life movie, which is a huge accomplishment for a video game. Seriously, just a great little scene.

Edit- I hope this is a sign of things to come for the rest of the game in terms of high quality acting. Looks like it will be. I hope next-gen brings more of this and takes it to another level.

SJRB

Gold Member
Being German I thought his accent was awfully fake. I don't know anyone who ends sentences in "ja?" all the time. It was probably another one of those intentional exaggerations though, so whatever.

BLITZKRIEG!!

just got back from target and farcry 3 is $39.99

well worth the graphical downgrade (for 360 and ps3) at that price.

*off topic but Hitman absolution is as well

So I'm 12 hours in. I've done every outpost, every tower, every hunting mission and every assassination mission... along with a lot of exploring.

So I thought with the first island pretty much completely finished, it was time to start the story.

Eh.

I just got to the mission where you escape the burning mansion and so far I'm underwhelmed. Shit story, shit characters and for an open world game boy do they love restricting you. On that mission where you blow up the weapons I snuck to a point with a sniper rifle, about to plan my attack, when "GO TO THIS VANTAGE POINT" popped up.

Thanks for that.

At the moment I just want to get the story missions done so I can get to the second island.

derFeef

I never understand why they do not just cast german speaking actors for such roles. It's just bad and makes me cringe. It's not even stereotypical because it's totally random and not funny.

So I'm 12 hours in. I've done every outpost, every tower, every hunting mission and every assassination mission... along with a lot of exploring.

So I thought with the first island pretty much completely finished, it was time to start the story.

Eh.

I just got to the mission where you escape the burning mansion and so far I'm underwhelmed. Shit story, shit characters and for an open world game boy do they love restricting you. On that mission where you blow up the weapons I snuck to a point with a sniper rifle, about to plan my attack, when "GO TO THIS VANTAGE POINT" popped up.

Thanks for that.

At the moment I just want to get the story missions done so I can get to the second island.

I like the story missions more than most of the side missions. 30 hours in and just got the second island, and I have not done all the stuff you did. I am just having fun with the random world. Screw those billboard missions, they are bad and repetitive. And I actually like Jason's tranformation, but everything else from the story is a bit meh.

saunderez

I wish Vaas had a bigger role, one of the best villains in videogames in a long time. Overall the characters were really good, save for Hoyt and Sam.
I loved Sam, but I agree Vaas was the star of the show. Finished this game yesterday and despite the last few hours being a bit of a drag its safe to say this game is my GOTY for 2012. I embraced the craziness and it paid off big time IMO.

I never understand why they do not just cast german speaking actors for such roles. It's just bad and makes me cringe. It's not even stereotypical because it's totally random and not funny.

I like the story missions more than most of the side missions. 30 hours in and just got the second island, and I have not done all the stuff you did. I am just having fun with the random world. Screw those billboard missions, they are bad and repetitive. And I actually like Jason's tranformation, but everything else from the story is a bit meh.
The billboard missions are open and fun unlike the badly scripted main missions.

Anyone else had trouble getting the 'Love the Boom' trophy to unlock? I've managed to get 4 enemies in the same explosion 3 times, getting 6 on another occasion, and the fucking trophy didn't pop any of those times.

saunderez

Anyone else had trouble getting the 'Love the Boom' trophy to unlock? I've managed to get 4 enemies in the same explosion 3 times, getting 6 on another occasion, and the fucking trophy didn't pop any of those times.
Did it unintentionally on the 360 version so no sorry, I hope for your sake its not glitched out. Maybe try a new game and as soon as you get mines or C4 give it a shot.

Rikyfree

Early game spoiler, really nothing but I'll tag it: The little cut scene when you meet
Daisy
at Dr. Earnhardt's house (when she awakens) was SO well done. The subtle music playing in the background was so good. The voice-acting, facial expressions, mannerisms, even the dialogue, holy mackerel. When Jason tells her
Grant died
, perfectly done. This type of scene would be "pretty good" in a real life movie, which is a huge accomplishment for a video game. Seriously, just a great little scene.

Edit- I hope this is a sign of things to come for the rest of the game in terms of high quality acting. Looks like it will be. I hope next-gen brings more of this and takes it to another level.

I almost started tearing up at that scene, so real.

I have this game on UPlay and I started downloading it but the download was unbelievably slow. Did anyone else have problems with this? I'd really like to try the game out!

Mikey Jr.

Only about like 2 hours in, but this whole "omg, its garbage on the 360!!" is so fucking overblown.

Yeah, I'm sure if you are comparing PC to 360, then yeah. But I am having no problems on the 360 version.

Klocker

anyone else's game taking forever to load? (360)

it has been having trouble for a day or so logging into Far Cry servers and getting al the online info.

Of course that means I can't even start a SP game while I wait.. stupid.

Rufus

Sam is AMERICAN goddamnit
True. Only ein Amerikaner would scream Blitzkrieg at ze top of his lungs. He still hat ein awful Tschermen accent, ja? Und his tattoos are even tackier zan Jason's.

So zere.
Didn't deserve a knife to ze sroat, however.

On a more serious note, it would have been amazing if his subtitles were in German, no matter what language its set to.

saunderez

Only about like 2 hours in, but this whole "omg, its garbage on the 360!!" is so fucking overblown.

Yeah, I'm sure if you are comparing PC to 360, then yeah. But I am having no problems on the 360 version.
It's in no way garbage on 360. I received a copy as a gift so played it on 360 and had a ball despite having a perfectly usable gaming PC too. The old girl is doing pretty good for being in her 7th year I'm quite impressed.

Rufus

I haven't played it on console, but I assume the input latency is really low the way it is on PC. I've had to jiggle with the settings a bit as my PC is aging, but even sub-30 frame rates felt really responsive and stayed smooth, much like Crysis (Dunia is a modified CryEngine, I know). That might explain why people are fine with it.

Top Bottom