• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Sethos

Banned
Still bummed about the editor being as useless as bag of air, I really wanted to go all-out on some co-op missions for a buddy and me. How the hell could they not have implemented that?!

Ubisoft wat r u doing

Ubisoft stahp

stahp it.

ironcreed

Banned
Still bummed about the editor being as useless as bag of air, I really wanted to go all-out on some co-op missions for a buddy and me. How the hell could they not have implemented that?!

*Shrugs* I know I am going to have a blast making crazy as hell levels to play around in. Will probably try my hand at making a few multiplayer maps as well. I am pretty thankful they considered both as much as they did. It's pretty impressive to me.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Kind of boggles the mind that a company so vocal about piracy doesn't manage a worldwide release date for one of their largest titles.

Sethos

Banned
*Shrugs* I know I am going to have a blast making crazy as hell levels to play around in. Will probably try my hand at making a few multiplayer maps as well. I am pretty thankful they considered both as much as they did. It's pretty impressive to me.

Oh I'm sure people will get a kick out of it and we'll see some impressive stuff. I'd rather want it in the game than not at all.

However I just find it odd they'd put so much work into an editor and not make it co-op compatible with AI. I mean, that is the bare minimum of what a game editor should be able to do in my opinion. In every game with an editor I've done maps and played them with friends, really is fun getting their reaction on stuff you do and see how they play it. Here I can upload the map so other people can play it and I'll never get any feedback or enjoyment from their reaction OR an empty world against a friend.

ironcreed

Banned
Oh I'm sure people will get a kick out of it and we'll see some impressive stuff. I'd rather want it in the game than not at all.

However I just find it odd they'd put so much work into an editor and not make it co-op compatible with AI. I mean, that is the bare minimum of what a game editor should be able to do.

Oh, I agree it should be a feature, rather than not. I just think it looks pretty damn fantastic for what it is. Especially from a single player perspective. A single player editor with AI, vehicles and wildlife on top of a huge and excellent looking campaign. Would these features also make multiplayer maps better? Definitely, but at least there is also a multiplayer editor with the same impressive list of options outside of vehicles, AI and wildlife. At any rate, perhaps they did not do it because of performance issues. Who knows?

I fucking love Far Cry 2s editor. It's online was my most played game on XBL. So many good map makers. Oh god I can't wait for 3.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Ubisoft wat r u doing

Ubisoft stahp

stahp it.
Wut?
You can make your own SP missions AND you can make MP maps. How's that useless?

Riggs

Banned
Why is this game releasing so much later for NA? Normally we get stuff first, I don't want to wait until Dec 4th damn you Ubisoft!!!!

Sethos

Banned
Why is this game releasing so much later for NA? Normally we get stuff first, I don't want to wait until Dec 4th damn you Ubisoft!!!!

Sorry to be a smug dick but ... ha :p Can't tell you how good it feels to actually get something first. I know what it's like to be on the other end of that shitstick.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Sorry to be a smug dick but ... ha :p Can't tell you how good it feels to actually get something first. I know what it's like to be on the other end of that shitstick.
This.

Oh and Ha ha!

Riggs

Banned

Hah I know its all good, go play with your GTA4 mods you prick!!!

<3 enjoy FC3 though man I am so hyped.

Kind of boggles the mind that a company so vocal about piracy doesn't manage a worldwide release date for one of their largest titles.

That salt. It's just a few days, nowhere near as bad as movies that take 4-5 months to come to UK or Australia.

legacyzero

Banned
Wut?
You can make your own SP missions AND you can make MP maps. How's that useless?
Yeah. I wouldn't call the editor useless at all lol.

I'd even go as far to say that its TEN times better than Halos Forge. You can control so much more than simply placing some objects and guns.

Time of day, terrain, water, foliage.

I can't wait to bust out my first map!

I should start a GAF-mappers group on Steam :p

ironcreed

Banned
Imagine if games like Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption or Just Cause 2 came with an editor. This game has elements of all three of those, plus multiplayer. Then there is an editor for both single player and multiplayer to top it off. Pretty packed package here, folks.

ironcreed

Banned
I don't know why but that gameplay feels so...effortless. You don't really need to concentrate to rack kills, etc...

Well, both are stealth approaches for the most part. If you go unseen and pick enemies off one by one as much as possible, I imagine it might be easier. One level is also at the start of the game.

Anyway, I have seen plenty of footage of running around the world and getting randomly killed by the wildlife by itself and while in the middle of a random fight with pirates. But if it ends up being too easy still, I guess just crank the difficulty up.

legacyzero

Banned
Please pardon my ignorance, but is the map editor PC only?
Its on consoles too :)

The only difference is memory and item limits, whereas the PC won't have those restrictions.

But if there was enough resources for somebody to create all of Shadow Moses island in FC2, then those restrictions won't be too bad.

The only difference is memory and item limits, whereas the PC won't have those restrictions.

But if there was enough resources for somebody to create all of Shadow Moses island in FC2, then those restrictions won't be too bad.

Awesome! I'm planning on picking up the PS3 version and I hope the devs have a bit easier time memory-wise than, say, Bethesda...

I don;t mean to keep going on about it, but will it be feasible for somebody to make an immaculate recreation of the island in Lost, and for me to just be dropped into the map and explore at will?

edit: Just remembered, no vehicles. So no plane wreck, no old plane, and no old VWs :(

raphier

Banned
Well, both are stealth approaches for the most part. If you go unseen and pick enemies off one by one as much as possible, I imagine it might be easier. One level is also at the start of the game.

Anyway, I have seen plenty of footage of running around the world and getting randomly killed by the wildlife by itself and while in the middle of a random fight with pirates. But if it ends up being too easy still, I guess just crank the difficulty up.

Well I am pleased with the game mostly, but I am not talking about difficulty, but the bow physics, bullet physics. I really enjoyed arrow fall in Skyrim. It's hard to accept anything less :D

ironcreed

Banned
Well I am pleased with the game mostly, but I am not talking about difficulty, but the bow physics, bullet physics. I really enjoyed arrow fall in Skyrim. It's hard to accept anything less :D

I hear you. All reports are that the gameplay is very solid, but of course everyone has their preferences. Guess we will just have to get our hands on it and find out.

_machine

However I just find it odd they'd put so much work into an editor and not make it co-op compatible with AI.
Does the campaign support coop?

I guess it might have something to do with the AI not supporting more than 1 players and they just haven't worked around it. It's a bummer, but I'll be using the editor for single-player maps mostly so it's not a huge deal for me.

Hindle

Banned
Seems this could be great, there is always a few niggling issues with past FC games but they seem to have ironed them out.

Zep

Banned
Does the campaign support coop?

I guess it might have something to do with the AI not supporting more than 1 players and they just haven't worked around it. It's a bummer, but I'll be using the editor for single-player maps mostly so it's not a huge deal for me.

Hopefully Ubi can address this issue...or someone finds a way around the issue. Six hours of a co-op campaign is already enough but now that they have this expanded map editor, it would be neat to get co-op use out of that as well.

This game wasn't even on my radar until last week so I'm in no rush.

My point---which you didn't address---still stands.

How would I know, I'm clueless about different regional release dates. Ubisoft is a French company, maybe that has something to do with faster distribution to EU than USA first?

Horns

Anyone know if this is shipping to stores this week in the US?

If so, I may try to get an early copy. There are two stores near me who on occasion put titles out too soon.

Any consensus on the console versions performance-wise? All I can find is that head to head video by CVG; any written reviews mention differences between the two?

That sounds like they've done it the wrong way round. I'm ure I'm not alone in being far more interested in the single player maps people will be creating than the multiplayer maps, which could have hours and hours put into their creation, and be played by nobody unless matches are organised properly

Also, with regards to the items which temporarily boost your abilities: Does anybody else find themselves never using these items unless absolutely necessary? Even in Demon's Souls I never used temporary stat-boosts
There must be reasons why those dumb restrictions exist, but I really hope they'll patch them out. Shareable singleplayer levels would be great, as would AI and vehicles in multiplayer.

The game is very enjoyable if you follow some simple strategies:

- stay off the main road
- switch for a new version of the weapon you are using everytime you encounter a weapons dealer
- do not trust on stealth or foliage breaking line of sight, assume every guard has wallhacks and eagle vision
- seriously, stay off the main road

These so much, particularly staying off the main road at all times. I think I've had my fill in prep for FC3. Managed to make my way through probably a quarter of the main story. It is a good game, and I do like how much they stuck to what they saw as realism, immersive and so on, and if I'd been able to get into it back in 08 I'd def have finished this.

However, it's probably taken me 8 hours to get this far, and christ, it just takes SO long to get anywhere in this game. Even using the bus system, the amount of BS that they'll throw at you as soon as you get on the main road (instant spawn of enemy car every time I edge onto the road) and the bullet sponging, along with my compulsion to collect anything within the area, means it takes forever to get to objectives and back. Also, I stupidly thought "hmm, I'll save so much time if I just get used to using the boats". Nope so much worse. 3 enemy boats shooting while I stupidly fumble between the gun, fixing the boat, and driving it.

This game + the accessibility FC3 seems to have added (better saving, better fast travel) though...I'm ready. Also bright colours are welcome.

Top Bottom