• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

The game is very enjoyable if you follow some simple strategies:

- stay off the main road
- switch for a new version of the weapon you are using everytime you encounter a weapons dealer
- do not trust on stealth or foliage breaking line of sight, assume every guard has wallhacks and eagle vision
- seriously, stay off the main road

Whoa for a second I thought you meant Far Cry 3 and was worried :p

Fuck yeah! Didn't realise this was being released on a Thursday - means I can go to GAME and finally use up some points and trade in a game towards it.

Any word on platform differences? Sorry if already discussed, only just getting through the information about this game now.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Any news on getting rid of the HUD?
It's something that bugs me too since I own a Plasma TV, static images are a no-no due to image retention. I think someone will find a way to remove that in the PC version, should be pretty easy hopefully.

It's something that bugs me too since I own a Plasma TV, static images are a no-no due to image retention. I think someone will find a way to remove that in the PC version, should be pretty easy hopefully.

So glad don't have a plasma screen anymore. All those open world game HUDs burned on my screen lol.

Danny-Boy

Gonna cancel my insane edition pre-order and go with the regular version. Just watched an unboxing and the insane edition extras look cheap and nasty.

Gonna cancel my insane edition pre-order and go with the regular version. Just watched an unboxing and the insane edition extras look cheap and nasty.
Aren't they always? Looks like the bobbley head in the unboxing didn't even work. Just a head on a firm spring.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I pre-ordered on GMG, could someone give me the rundown on how this is going down? Can I punch in the code they are going to send me into Steam or do I have to download some kind of uPlay client?

And if so, does the uPlay client also feature pre-loading?

Is this something you have to be in Euroland to see? It's not showing up on the North American version of GMG.

For you digital download folks: Where are you getting it from? Premium or Standard? Do you think this will be on sale during the Steam Year-End Sale? It's a Ubigame, but it'll only be a month old, and I don't think they usually discount new DD games as heavily as they do the versions that come on CD-ROM.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Vaas is one strong mothafucka.

Vaas_i_Dgeyson.jpg

luxarific

Nork unification denier
10% off at most. Might as well just use one of GMG's discount codes right- or buy retail.

Far Cry 3 isn't even coming up when I search on GMG, so I think they don't sell it.

I saw this, but I'm afraid it might be a European code ("I'm afraid this title is not available in North America"???) and I'll get bannerated somehow (does Ubi do this)?

I probably should just wait until the winter Steam Sale. It's not like I don't have anything else to play.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Kotaku - This Image Encapsulates Far Cry 3’s Bummer Screen-Clutter

Far Cry 3 is a really, really good game. One of the year's best, I'd wager. I've had so much fun with it that I'm playing it again, just for the heck of it, and shooting for 100% completion.

One of my big gripes, however, is the unfortunate amount of screen clutter. The problem is even worse on a second playthrough, when I'm already familiar with the rules, objectives and mechanics.

The game's invasive, pestering heads-up display is one of the most annoying in recent memory. My annoyance is doubtless due in large part to the fact that the game itself is so good, its world so lovely and immersive, that I wish it'd get out of my way. Far Cry 3 is a game that demands to be documented with screenshots, but the invasive HUD stymies every attempt.

Rare is the moment when there isn't some sort of message on screen, either a note nudging you on towards your next story goal, a tutorial for a skill you mastered the first time through, or a tip on how to overcome your current obstacle. All of these are perfectly helpful for some players, but unfortunately, more experienced players can't turn any of them off. Not the tips, the tutorials, the objective reminders and waypoint indicators, or the info-stocked mini-map. (And by now I hope we all know how I feel about mini-maps.)

This image up top is from a hunting mission in the game, and I think it sums up how annoying the HUD can be. Here we've got not one but two text boxes on the left-hand side, as well as the mini-map in the lower-left. Not only that, but you've got to do this mission with an RPG (which on its face is awesome, since you're hunting rabid dogs… with a rocket launcher), so the right side of the screen is filled with a huge weapon.

The result is greatly reduced visibility, a problem that would've been greatly mitigated by giving players the ability to turn off or minimize the HUD in the options menu. Alas, the game allows for none of that. All that's left now is to hold out hope for a patch. Given how deep, unpredictable and flat-out fun Far Cry 3 is, I can see myself playing it for months and even years to come. It's a shame the game will always treat me like a newbie.

This guy really has a problem with the HUD, i'm worried now.

PLEASE LET US MINIMIZE THE HUD UBI!
Just patch that shit in.

Yeah the HUD does seem to be terribly intrusive. I'm glad some of the more mainstream sites are complaining about it though, makes the chances of a patch more likely.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The hud I dont care about as much as all those stupid fucking idiot markers. Get rid of those and Ill be happy.

iNvid02

Anyone know if this is coming to Steam in the UK?

nobody knows, ubi is trying to get out of an arrangement it has with a large retailer apparently (im guessing GAME). no comment from valve or ubi on the matter.

its not steamworks either, so if you want it on steam you gotta buy directly from steam. maybe ask a US gaffer or friend to help

The hud I dont care about as much as all those stupid fucking idiot markers. Get rid of those and Ill be happy.

This I agree most with.

I am playing Borderlands 2 and that game is freaking cluttered with text, logo's and whatnot. I seriously don't mind, but those dotted waypoints in the middle of your screen are the most annoying things ever in a videogame.

nobody knows, ubi is trying to get out of an arrangement it has with a large retailer apparently (im guessing GAME). no comment from valve or ubi on the matter.

its not steamworks either, so if you want it on steam you gotta buy directly from steam. maybe ask a US gaffer or friend to help

Hmm, that sucks. I don't even see it on Uplay though, can that be right? Or do they not show games until they're released?

Edit: Nevermind, it is on there. Maybe I'll just go with that.

iNvid02

Hmm, that sucks. I don't even see it on Uplay though, can that be right? Or do they not show games until they're released?

Edit: Nevermind, it is on there. Maybe I'll just go with that.

greenmangaming has the best price, £24.50 for standard and £28 for the deluxe edition.

Spat_triate

Looking good, but why do animals take so much damage? It shouldn't take 3 high caliber sniper rounds to kill a single scrawny leopard.

Woo-Fu

Banned
You've done this in real life?

It doesn't take 3 high caliber sniper rounds to kill any land animal in real life--when properly placed. If they had Internet access they'd be complaining on every forum about how OP humans are.

The person you're replying to seems to have made the mistake of thinking this is a wild animal hunting sim.

So did everyone get their fix on videos? I think I might do one last recording in a few minutes as someone asked for more examples of cover mechanics. I might also try to kill as many enemies as possible until death.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Looking good, but why do animals take so much damage? It shouldn't take 3 high caliber sniper rounds to kill a single scrawny leopard.

Same question could be asked about why can the player take so much damage from getting mauled by the various wildlife?

Top Bottom