• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

beastmode

Looks like they took the most insipid routes possible to make the game more palatable. (E.g. the ridiculous HUD elements everywhere)

legacyzero

Banned
For Map Editor-GAF

One of the Community Managers at Ubisoft explained how placing spawns works.

Team specific nodes are used only for initial spawn.

For the duration of the match the spawning algorithm will use neutral spawns. This is how the spawning works, in a extremely simplified version:

Domination:
• Will of course always take enemy proximity and line of sight into consideration – This has highest priority.
• Will spawn you at neutral spawn locations that are at close proximity to domination nodes that you own.
• If you own more than one domination node – the algorithm will check to see which spawn is the “least defended” (meaning it checks the amount of teammates close to the owned domination nodes). After this it will spawn you close to the domination node that is in most need of defense.
• In addition the spawning algorithm is always looking to spawn you close to teammates, it’s the “final calculation” done in the spawning process.

Team deathmatch
• Will of course always take enemy proximity and line of sight into consideration – This has highest priority
• Main attractor is the teammate proximity, there are no nodes like in domination that will attract player spawn.

Transmission
• Will of course always take enemy proximity and line of sight into consideration – This has highest priority.
• Will spawn close to owned transmission nodes – If two nodes are owned the algorithm will divide the team evenly between the two owned nodes so that they get equal defense
• Chooses nodes closest to teammates of course.
• If no node is owned, you will spawn at a certain distance from a node together with teammates.

Firestorm
• One set of spawns for first stage:
• Spawning close to team owned firestorm nodes – The algorithm will divide the team evenly between the two owned nodes so that they have equal defense.
• If one node is burning, players will no longer spawn at this node but only in close proximity to the yet un-ignited node.
• Chooses spawns close to teammates as usual.
• Separate set of spawn locations for radio state:
• Both teams will be forced to spawn away from the radio – will spawn in groups of teammates to attack the radio.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...for-the-devs?p=8734706&viewfull=1#post8734706

beastmode

You've done this in real life?
It doesn't take 3 high caliber sniper rounds to kill any land animal in real life--when properly placed. If they had Internet access they'd be complaining on every forum about how OP humans are.

The person you're replying to seems to have made the mistake of thinking this is a wild animal hunting sim.
Unless humans take more than 3 shots with a sniper it's a valid complaint.

DO NOT FUCK WITH LEOPARDS

Mission: Kill a rare leopard with a bow.

The hunt starts at 3:45 to 9:46

This sequence is absolutely hilarious....This had me in tears!!

I love the how the leopard that kills him 4 times before sneaks up on him right as he's about to kill the black leopard

EDIT: HAHAHA, Holy shit...make sure to watch until the end. Leopards are not to be fucked with.

DinnerRevealer

Neo Member
DO NOT FUCK WITH LEOPARDS

Mission: Kill a rare leopard with a bow.

The hunt starts at 3:45 to 9:46

I love the how the leopard that kills him 4 times before sneaks up on him right as he's about to kill the black leopard

EDIT: HAHAHA, Holy shit...make sure to watch until the end. Leopards are not to be fucked with.

So it's the cougars from RDR all over again...

Wag

So since the game isn't Steamworks will all the Steam version do is launch the Ubisoft launcher?

quaere

So I have a key for the PC version in the US but I'd like to buy the EU version to get it early. I'll sell the US copy for $15 off retail.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Unless humans take more than 3 shots with a sniper it's a valid complaint.

When was the last time a wild animal tried to kill you with an assault rifle?

I think you'll find that in many(most?) games that feature both ranged and melee enemies that melee enemies have tougher armor and/or higher HP than the ranged attackers.

In context the durability of the wildlife could be perfectly fine in terms of balance.

Here are the official forums: http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/117-Far-Cry-3-Discussion

Lots of activity. The hottest topics seem to be:

Not able to share single-player maps you've made with others
No vehicles in multi-player

Surprisingly nothing about the HUD on the first page, let's try to change that?

Nevermind there's a huge topic about the HUD here: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/709553-HUD-still-ruining-the-imersion-level

Hopefully Ubi has seen it, I'm sure some devs read the board.

Stolen from there:

Mini-map [ON] [OFF]
Hit Indicators [ON] [OFF] - (the enemy detection arrows)
Objective Markers [ON] [OFF]
Object Highlight [ON] [OFF] - (e.g. the glowing/flashing dead animals)
Hint Pop-ups [ON] [OFF]
XP Pop-ups [ON] [OFF]
Enemy Tagging [FULL] [MINIMAL] - ('Full' would be as it currently is, i.e. wallhack + orange skull icons, 'Minimal' would just be red dots on the map/mini-map).

This sounds perfect. Anyone familiar with programming want to comment on how difficult these options would be to add? Even just a few of them

eso76

Those unfiltered pixelated blades of grass when he's being mauled to death.
Not complaining, the game looks great especially considering draw distance, size, unified lighting and whatnot.

Yes, those leopards take a few too many bullets, but at least they don't run the fuck away from grenades like they knew they're going to explode like felines did in one of the latest tomb raiders ;D

Ledsen

Far Cry 3 isn't even coming up when I search on GMG, so I think they don't sell it.

I saw this, but I'm afraid it might be a European code ("I'm afraid this title is not available in North America"???) and I'll get bannerated somehow (does Ubi do this)?

I probably should just wait until the winter Steam Sale. It's not like I don't have anything else to play.

Yeah they don't sell it in the US. So I, a Swede, can buy the Deluxe edition for $40 (yes, we pay in dollars on GMG which is awesome), but US Americans can't buy it at all. That's kinda weird!

Stolen from there:

Mini-map [ON] [OFF]
Hit Indicators [ON] [OFF] - (the enemy detection arrows)
Objective Markers [ON] [OFF]
Object Highlight [ON] [OFF] - (e.g. the glowing/flashing dead animals)
Hint Pop-ups [ON] [OFF]
XP Pop-ups [ON] [OFF]
Enemy Tagging [FULL] [MINIMAL] - ('Full' would be as it currently is, i.e. wallhack + orange skull icons, 'Minimal' would just be red dots on the map/mini-map).

This sounds perfect. Anyone familiar with programming want to comment on how difficult these options would be to add? Even just a few of them

Yes please. The intrusive HUD will diminish my enjoyment of the game, please let me turn that shit off...

About the programming, seeing as Durante managed to hack out the UI in Dark Souls, I can't see it being that much of a problem for the people who made the game... the biggest problem would be having to QA the whole game all over again with different HUD options. I'm hoping for modders to fix it.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So I, a Swede, can buy the Deluxe edition for $40 (yes, we pay in dollars on GMG which is awesome), but US Americans can't buy it at all. That's kinda weird!

Kind of awful, rather. :(

Can't buy it from GetGamesGo either since I'm a dirty American, so I think I will just wait and hope that the deluxe version gets discounted a bit during the Steam Winter sale.

;_;

sl4yor

Neo Member
Question about this game, its available in France today (Ive found that French game stores do not obey release dates, they seem to release them as soon as they get them in their shipments)

Anyway back on topic, its available in France, however, I assume this is a French copy. As I prefer to play my games in English, do you think there will be an install option where I can choose my language for this game (English)? Alternatively, would it be possible to register the game with steam then simply download the English version through steam, although I don't see it listed as a registered steam game which would make this impossible.

Lastly, if neither of these are possible, is there somewhere I can see on the back of the box all the available languages for download? I know when I installed games off of a cd back in Canada normally I'd have a multitude of languages to select from when first installing the game, I just want to make sure its the same here in Europe.

beastmode

When was the last time a wild animal tried to kill you with an assault rifle?

I think you'll find that in many(most?) games that feature both ranged and melee enemies that melee enemies have tougher armor and/or higher HP than the ranged attackers.

In context the durability of the wildlife could be perfectly fine in terms of balance.
Most games aren't known for their commitment to realism.

SJRB

Gold Member
My i5 750, 560Ti, 8GB PC is trembling. Still, I suspect it will be a far cry better than X360 even on low settings.

You really suspect those specs will result in low graphic settings? I have similar specs, I don't want to play on low settings goddamnit!

Eideka

Banned
My i5 750, 560Ti, 8GB PC is trembling. Still, I suspect it will be a far cry better than X360 even on low settings.

I have no idea why some people think you have to max out the game on PC to make it look better than the PS360 versions...

It would take a very ancient rig to run the game worse than the consoles. Even at low/medium setting the PC has the edge because of the IQ.

[You really suspect those specs will result in low graphic settings? I have similar specs, I don't want to play on low settings goddamnit!
You can lower the resolution and crank up the settings consequently. Why are you believing you will have to go for low settings ?
The PC version offers a wide range of settings, it's for you to decide what you value most : graphics or resolution.

Tankshell

Will be downloading this the second it becomes available in the UK:

"You'll receive your download links and activation code by email on 28/11/2012 at 23:01 GMT."
from uk.gamesplanet.com, probably do an all nighter and play it through till the morning =0)

Can't wait!

So I have a key for the PC version in the US but I'd like to buy the EU version to get it early. I'll sell the US copy for $15 off retail.
I tried to switch to the Irish store but it didn't work, they just re-directed me to the UK one. I'm not sure what the deal is, I'm trying to pre-load now but can't find the link. Nothing on the uPlay client either.
Will be downloading this the second it becomes available in the UK:

from uk.gamesplanet.com, probably do an all nighter and play it through till the morning =0)

Can't wait!
I've got a 9 letter "digital rights" code from Ubi customer support which I presume unlocks the game. Maybe I can just use any client to install?

e. Ubisoft forums are useless. My guess is I won't be playing this weekend ._.

Tankshell

Just noticed this screenshot that I have not seen before:

screenshot3.jpg

I wonder if we can actually climb up to the top of that rocky outcrop on the horizon? Or do you think it is just for show?

Varth

screenshot3.jpg

I wonder if we can actually climb up to the top of that rocky outcrop on the horizon? Or do you think it is just for show?

IIRC, you can go anywhere on the islands. There's a couple peaks I climbed that didn't have clear roads to get to the to, so you have to explore a bit to find the spot to advance via jump+sprint.

-BLITZ-

That's E3 screenshot [2011/2012] I don't remember, time flies fast.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Most games aren't known for their commitment to realism.

Neither is this one. Keep trying.

If you want to keep the stance you'll have a wonderful time explaining the science behind things like:

Tattoos that give you special abilities.
Bandages that will heal anything, almost instantly.
How the enemy bullet always hits you in the same spot in the same arm.
Fast travel.
A backpack that holds a lot of weapons, a backpack made of uncured animal hide and has zero weight.
Fast weapon switch.
The ability to survive multiple shark/alligator attacks with no training whatsoever.
Health bars that regen partially/fully
Quest markers, magical ammo counters, most of the HUD, etc.

Far Cry isn't playing the "realism" card and as far as I can tell never has.

If it were "real" those packs of aggressive wild animals would have been hunted to extinction long ago. You wouldn't have to quibble about how durable they appear because they wouldn't exist at all. I'm pretty sure the intersection of the Vicious Pirate and Animal Protectionist groups is very small.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Copy arrived. :D

wRDYt.jpg

Going to do a 2 hour live stream sometime today and then loads of videos. Any requests for videos?

beastmode

Neither is this one. Keep trying.

If you want to keep the stance you'll have a wonderful time explaining the science behind things like:

Tattoos that give you special abilities.
Bandages that will heal anything, almost instantly.
How the enemy bullet always hits you in the same spot in the same arm.
Fast travel.
A backpack that holds a lot of weapons, a backpack made of uncured animal hide and has zero weight.
Fast weapon switch.
The ability to survive multiple shark/alligator attacks with no training whatsoever.
Health bars that regen partially/fully
Quest markers, magical ammo counters, most of the HUD, etc.

Far Cry isn't playing the "realism" card and as far as I can tell never has.

If it were "real" those packs of aggressive wild animals would have been hunted to extinction long ago. You wouldn't have to quibble about how durable they appear because they wouldn't exist at all. I'm pretty sure the intersection of the Vicious Pirate and Animal Protectionist groups is very small.
I was referring to Far Cry 2. I would like to know about all these shooters that are more realistic (other than maybe Arma 2.)

Top Bottom