• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

randomwab

If anyone could do me a big favor and gift me the game from the US Steam store, I'd Paypal you the cash straight away and love you forever...

Holy shit! This game is just full of surprises.

I was just walking through the jungle and noticed a friendly walking by the river. Walked towards him to see if I could chat with him, or maybe get a new objective, but the moment I reached him a crocodile jumped out of the river and grabbed him.

That was the biggest jump scare I had since Doom 3 :')

ironcreed

Banned

I was just walking through the jungle and noticed a friendly walking by the river. Walked towards him to see if I could chat with him, or maybe get a new objective, but the moment I reached him a crocodile jumped out of the river and grabbed him.

Good stuff for sure. Cannot wait.

could you tell if this was dynamic or scripted?

One negative.

Crocodiles do not swim. They are stationary at spots designed by the developer. So swimming in the river is safer then walking along the shores. Sharks, however, are fucking aggressive.

Oh great... A thunderstorm.

Are purchases made on the Ubisoft web shop (www.ubishop.com) also handled in the same way as purchases made within the Uplay PC shop?
No, only purchases made in the Uplay Shop, either in the Uplay PC application or on Uplay.com, are automatically added to your games page. Purchases for supported games made on the UbiShop will provide you with a downloadable game installer for your game, along with a CD Key that can be used to add your game to the Uplay PC application’s games page.
Fuuuuck. This is literally the worst shopping experience ever. So literally you're buying a retail disc image from Ubishop, as opposed to a uPlay installer game. I don't blame people who torrent this game early and then use the serial e.mailed on release.

Kinda wish I bought the deluxe but I am fine with the regular...I hope
KuGsj.gif

Twentieth

Fuuuuck. This is literally the worst shopping experience ever. So literally you're buying a retail disc image from Ubishop, as opposed to a uPlay installer game. I don't blame people who torrent this game early and then use the serial e.mailed on release.

I've had this same problem before with the latest Prince of Persia game. Oh, and I never managed to get it to run because it crashes on launch every time. The only solution I found on the internet (registry editing) doesn't work and their support couldn't help either.

could you tell if this was dynamic or scripted?

That one was definitely scripted. I also saw the same thing happen with a tapir a few minutes later. The tapir was drinking peacefully across from where I was standing, but the minute I was a few meters away from it a crocodile came out of nowhere and grabbed it.

ironcreed

Banned
That one was definitely scripted. I also saw the same thing happen with a tapir a few minutes later. The tapir was drinking peacefully across from where I was standing, but the minute I was a few meters away from it a crocodile came out of nowhere and grabbed it.

I guess crocs are more like traps then. But most of the wildlife is confirmed to be unscripted. Given that, I am fine with them throwing some stuff like that in as well.

I guess crocs are more like traps then. But most of the wildlife is confirmed to be unscripted. Given that, I am fine with them throwing some stuff like that in as well.

Everything else is dynamic, yes. There are times where I am hunting an animal and all of a sudden a tiger pops up and decides to chase it, kill it or attack me.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Isn't that how crocodiles work for real? Float there near the shore, act like a log, wait for something edible to come within lunge range.

eso76

I can't be the first to want a patch / mod removing the graphic 'skin animal' animation.
I don't want to do that :/

ironcreed

Banned
Isn't that how crocodiles work for real? Float there near the shore, act like a log, wait for something edible to come within lunge range.

I believe so. Regardless, I am fine with this and don't even mind seeing some scripted scenarios here and there. As it's confirmed already that most of the wildlife in general is totally unscripted and all kinds of random attacks and encounters happen.

tjohn86

I am pretty close to buying the Deluxe edition. My nightmare is I don't play it much and its $10 during the Steam winter sale...

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Not really enjoying the game on X360 tbh and I'm gutted I was looking forward to the game ALOT.

The FOV is horrible. There is screen tearing but seems to be very minimum. Frame rate has dropped in certain areas quite alot during fire fights. The HUD is a massive, would be nice to have the option on turning off or scaling down. Shooting feels all over the place. Enemy A.I can be ultra aggresive or completly dumb. Visually it looks great

Might sell this and pick up on PC next year. :\

SJRB

Gold Member
Just so we're clear - the GMG version goes up in 25 hours, right? Basically midnight gmt from Wednesday to Thursday?

I took the day off work Thursday, I'm just double-checking if I didn't make some stupid mistake in my calculations.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I think it's required to buy/craft obtain certain items ?
I never skinned an animal in RDR either.

Man, it's OK to shoot/stab/torture/beat men to death but skinning animals !

image.php

Overall I'd like the up-close gore turned down a bit, it is really fucking brutal.

Absolutely not. I think it looks fine the way it is. I'm assuming you've never skinned an animal, as if you had, you'd know that what little they show here is actually nothing like when you actually skin an animal.

Ledsen

TB WTF made the game look like great fun. Good god that HUD is annoying though. All that's missing is someone constantly yelling "HEY! LISTEN" through a walkie-talkie or something.

Ricker

Not really enjoying the game on X360 tbh and I'm gutted I was looking forward to the game ALOT.

The FOV is horrible. There is screen tearing but seems to be very minimum. Frame rate has dropped in certain areas quite alot during fire fights. The HUD is a massive, would be nice to have the option on turning off or scaling down. Shooting feels all over the place. Enemy A.I can be ultra aggresive or completly dumb. Visually it looks great

I am still debating if I get this for the PC or the 360(friends list/achievements/gamerscore)...the FOV never bothers me on consoles,it's what it is and you can't do anything about it,screen tearing minimal is good and you say visually it looks great...on the other hand it's 10 bucks cheaper on PC and on my rig,it will definetly look better then on the 360...

Ledsen

I am still debating if I get this for the PC or the 360(friends list/achievements/gamerscore)...the FOV never bothers me on consoles,it's what it is and you can't do anything about it,screen tearing minimal is good and you say visually it looks great...on the other hand it's 10 bucks cheaper on PC and on my rig,it will definetly look better then on the 360...

You can change it on PC though. Unless your PC sits in a dark closet with a 15" screen, is there really a choice?

Xian

Neo Member
TB WTF made the game look like great fun. Good god that HUD is annoying though. All that's missing is someone constantly yelling "HEY! LISTEN" through a walkie-talkie or something.

The "Skyrim with guns" comparison is pretty accurate then I guess?

Absolutely not. I think it looks fine the way it is. I'm assuming you've never skinned an animal, as if you had, you'd know that what little they show here is actually nothing like when you actually skin an animal.

I've also never killed a person in real life and know that it's more gruesome. That's not the point. It's not a big deal, just woulda been nice to have an option.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Contact-hardening shadows
HDAO/HBAO
Global illumination

Perhaps other stuff.

Wait for the AMD gaming blog to delve into the details of the PC version.

http://blogs.amd.com/play/

All the AMD sponsored games have an article there with technical details and benchmarks.

Cool thanks, hope it's not broken like certain other games' dx11 mode, like arkham city.

Eideka

Banned
Cool thanks, hope it's not broken like certain other games' dx11 mode, like arkham city.

Arkham City is an exception fortunately. The DX11 renderer has not been optimized at all and the DX11 features were tacked on later in the dev cycle.

Going by the benchmarks available the DX11 mode seems to be hugely demanding but truth be told the game is breath-taking visually and is open-world.

In comparison AC3 looks nowhere near as good.

Ricker

You can change it on PC though. Unless your PC sits in a dark closet with a 15" screen, is there really a choice?

Nah ;),I'm hooked up via HDMI to my 55 inch HDTV and this game will surely support the 360 controller right from the start...but man those tiny Steam achievement notice suck...lol ;)....I think I will go PC for this one in the end.

Ken

That's too bad. Was thinking about getting it on 360.

The input lag killed it for me on console, allready sold my copy and ordered on pc.
It's not really that bad but bad enough for me.

I can preload on steam now btw

beastmode

I think it's required to buy/craft obtain certain items ?
I never skinned an animal in RDR either.

Man, it's OK to shoot/stab/torture/beat men to death but skinning animals !
No pain, no gain.

I guess you could roleplay as a man so skilled in skinning animals he can do it with his eyes closed.

eso76

I'm sure it's worse, but that wasn't the point as I'm sure you understood but pretended you didn't so you could let us know you did skin animals IRL :p
I just don't think the game needs to show that in detail, given the chance I'd tone it down. Kinda bothers me

Top Bottom