• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Content for contents sake IS a bad thing. It's a game design philosophy that caters to OCD gamers and achievement hunters, doing stuff they don't enjoy simply to have the satisfaction of that "100%". Like in Assassin's Creed. If the content is good, fun, and meaningful, and not simply chasing dots on a map or "unlocking" stuff that should've been there from the beginning (I read that you unlock basic stuff like cooking a grenade in this?), it's great. Usually it's not. Now I'm not saying this is how it is in Far Cry 3, but your posts aren't very reassuring to me.

Crafting. Collecting herbs gets more healing items, skinning animals gets more space to store items, climbing towers reveals more map. I don't see how these are exactly unuseful and getting XP lets you unlock various skills of your choice. Yes the cooking grenande thing is in but its like the first in that tree and can be obtained right away. Other upgrades include moving faster when crouching, swimming faster, etc. Again don't see a huge problem with this.

You have no regard for anything in a game you aren't forced to do? I think that speaks for itself. (Which is false anyway, there is no way to avoid the HUD or XP)

No. If its a peice of garbage and filler. No thank you. If they make me do said filler, I have an issue with that. If it's optional, I could care less. I don't see the issue. It's when a product is so oversaturated with extra stuff that the main gameplay and campaign suffer, yes I have a big issue with that. Padding if you will. Far Cry 3 seems far from that so far from what I can tell.

bitoriginal

I didn't say it was a personal attack. You're "personally against an opponent, instead of against the opponent's argument." Saying nothing relevant to the arguments put forth while accusing someone of "hating fun" & "bitching and moaning" constitutes "an attack on the bias of a source. This is fallacious because a disposition to make a certain argument does not make the argument false; this overlaps with the genetic fallacy (an argument that a claim is incorrect due to its source)."

You have no regard for anything in a game you aren't forced to do? I think that speaks for itself. (Which is false anyway, there is no way to avoid the HUD or XP)

This beastmode character is clearly Derricks alt account. No one wants to read this shit. Why dont you PM each other instead of shitting up this thread.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

He's the second i heard who can't choose DirectX 11 in the options menu. The hell is going on?

Day 1 patch?

Edit:
Ok so I've been playing it on PC, only about 2 hours is, but damn this game is impressive. Im able to run it on high settings without too much trouble, playing on a gaming laptop 7970m, 12gigs of 1600, I7 3740.

The sound is amazing, the characters are amazing, and the main character is quite a blast to control, the feedback he gives to the player in regards to his breathing, talking to himself etc etc etc is quite enjoyable.

If anyone has any questions let me know, for one reason or another though, I'm unable to select direct x 11. No idea why, only 9 is available. Not sure why this is happening.

Sn4ke_911

could be an nvidia issue, he said amd got their hands on this one. might have to wait for a driver update

but sl4yor has the same problem and he plays on a 7970m.

Oh and here is the proof for more graphic options on PC. Yeh.

666666irsbs.png

Atruvius

Green Man Gaming has a 30% discount code for this. I am now fighting myself if I should buy this or wait for it be cheaper on Steam.

Definity

Wow, I didn't realize you get more XP if you capture an outpost undetected. I'm sure it was posted in this thread somewhere but I have not been keeping up. Going to be awesome.

I need this game now.

beastmode

getting XP lets you unlock various skills of your choice. Yes the cooking grenande thing is in but its like the first in that tree and can be obtained right away. Other upgrades include moving faster when crouching, swimming faster, etc. Again don't see a huge problem with this.

No. If its a peice of garbage and filler. No thank you. If they make me do said filler, I have an issue with that. If it's optional, I could care less. I don't see the issue. It's when a product is so oversaturated with extra stuff that the main gameplay and campaign suffer, yes I have a big issue with that. Padding if you will. Far Cry 3 seems far from that so far from what I can tell.
Because these elements are precisely what Far Cry 2 tried to avoid (and they're not all optional.) http://youtu.be/kBYyxlNxV0E They're not good or bad, they're inappropriate.

Tankshell

Green Man Gaming has a 30% discount code for this. I am now fighting myself if I should buy this or wait for it be cheaper on Steam.

Don't forget if you grab it off greenmangaming you have to use their capsule client to download and run it. One thing that puts me off. Where as presumably if you get it elsewhere you can install it and then launch via Steam after adding it as a custom shortcut.

I have done this with a lot of my non-Steam games... works nicely as a launcher =0) Especially when in big-picture mode with a 360 controller!

Because these elements are precisely what Far Cry 2 tried to avoid (and they're not all optional.) http://youtu.be/kBYyxlNxV0E They're not good or bad, they're inappropriate.
Ok but I still don't see why this makes Far Cry 3 a bad game. I'm done with this topic though. I've said my piece concerning this. I won't be stinking up the thread anymore.

Actually I'm really tempted to get this on PC as well. I imagine it's going to just look gorgeous on a beast rig! :D

SJRB

Gold Member
There's a French PS3 stream, a German 60fps PC stream and a Polish/Russian/Eastern European stream going on right fucking now.

You know where to go.

Megasoum

Banned
Don't forget if you grab it off greenmangaming you have to use their capsule client to download and run it. One thing that puts me off. Where as presumably if you get it elsewhere you can install it and then launch via Steam after adding it as a custom shortcut.

I have done this with a lot of my non-Steam games... works nicely as a launcher =0) Especially when in big-picture mode with a 360 controller!

You can probably use the key that GMG gives you to register on uPlay and download it from there. It's not steam but it's still better than Capsule lol.

iNvid02

You can probably use the key that GMG gives you to register on uPlay and download it from there. It's not steam but it's still better than Capsule lol.

nah you cant, uplay doesnt have cd key redemption lol. have to download through capsule (its painfully slow, only utilised like 50% of my connection for AC3).

after its installed and activated, the game is added to your uplay account. then you could download from uplay in the future.

Megasoum

Banned
nah you cant, uplay doesnt have cd key redemption lol. have to download through capsule (its painfully slow, only utilised like 50% of my connection for AC3).

after its installed and activated, the game is added to your uplay account. then you could download from uplay in the future.

Oh right forgot about the fact that you can't redeem code on uplay lol...haha.

So? You seem to be pretty positive in regards to Far Cry 3. Would it be OK for me to write:

"Regardless, we play games to have fun. Far Cry 3 doesn't offer much fun and from seeing reviews, videos, and interviews that's pretty damn apparent. You don't like fun? Sure, play Far Cry 3 lol."

?To reiterate: the amount of content is not a problem.

The specific content in question being optional is irrelevant. If Half-Life 2 had a segment where you could optionally kill 10 dogs with an RPG for XP it would negatively impact the experience.

The tone? http://youtu.be/S--zR5BQAW0 Relatively intense verisimilitude. This sort of side content is more appropriate in your average MMO.You don't become a professional games enthusiast by being a critical. I don't expect them to understand any of the nuances of Far Cry 2's design and why it hurts this game to turn its back on those principles behind them. This guy's argument is "I don't think it ruined the tone. You are wrong because you hate fun."

So your entire argument is based around Far Cry 2, and a game you haven't played yet.

I'm not talking about games reviewers necessarily, I'm talking about the people in here and elsewhere who've been having an absolute blast with it.

If your main complaint is that optional side quests ruin the 'tone', then I don't know what else to say other than ignore the game and go and play something else because it's obvious that you have a dislike for this title and nothing will change that.

Any PS3 impressions guys?

Some of the stuff I appreciated from FC2 is now gone, sadly, i.e. the weapon degradation/jamming and malaria mechanics. I know some people hated those but to me they just added to the sense that you're in a harsh, unforgiving environment and have to make do with what you have. I liked being forced to improvise when those things cropped up.

FC3 seems to dial back on that sort of thing a lot which is my #1 concern about the game.

I also really liked the buddy system. I really wish they had kept it and just built on it, especially since the characters now are supposed to be much more fleshed out. Adding a buddy system like FC2's on top of solid character writing would have been very effective in creating a sense of attachment.
I think it's gonna be you, me, and those one or two other guys who loved FC2 who end up being disappointed about elements of this game while everyone else loses their minds over it. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will improve on Far Cry 2 in innumerable ways, but it seems like it's going to lose some of its soul in favour of being more approachable, more overstuffed with content, more 'fun'. Or if not its soul then at least some of its guts.

I think it's gonna be you, me, and those one or two other guys who loved FC2 who end up being disappointed about elements of this game while everyone else loses their minds over it. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will improve on Far Cry 2 in innumerable ways, but it seems like it's going to lose some of its soul in favour of being more approachable, more overstuffed with content, more 'fun'. Or if not its soul then at least some of its guts.

Well coming from someone who appreciates FC2 for what it did. I totally understand this viewpoint. Though I'm not sure how well FC 2 did sales wise, I think it might stem from the fact that ALOT of people disliked alot of things to the point Ubi took notice and tried to fix them. It's sadly one of those "can't please everyone" situations. FC 2 was such a balsy games when it came to some of it's defining gameplay aspects. Yet I can't blame Ubi for trying to change that so inevitable part 3 sells more.

While I agree with your sentiment. The respawning Guard Towers/Checkpoimts absolutely ruined the game for me. I loved almost all other elements of the FC2(lighting, gunplay, environment, map mechanics, animations, buddy system) but those DM respawning checkpoints made me want to punch a baby. That and the damn super senses of the enemy AI that can see you at night, in tall grass, on top of a mountain/hill. Unless you had the stealth suit, which was still just plain dumb. If I have to sacrifice all the things I liked about it just to get rid of the two things I hated, I'd gladly do it. It killed the tone and fun of the game. I can't wait to just wingsuit of a damn mountain. Gonna be so damn fun. I saw a video yesterday of a guy wingsuit to the top of a radio tower. It was awesome.

I appreciated what they were trying to do but I simply could not get past the almost instantaneous respawning enemies and insanely aware and aggressive patrols. I always dreamed of a mod that tweaked those 2 issues.

Ledsen

While I agree with your sentiment. The respawning Guard Towers/Checkpoimts absolutely ruined the game for me. I loved almost all other elements of the FC2(lighting, gunplay, environment, map mechanics, animations, buddy system) but those DM respawning checkpoints made me want to punch a baby. That and the damn super senses of the enemy AI that can see you at night, in tall grass, on top of a mountain/hill. Unless you had the stealth suit, which was still just plain dumb. If I have to sacrifice all the things I liked about it just to get rid of the two things I hated, I'd gladly do it. It killed the tone and fun of the game. I can't wait to just wingsuit of a damn mountain. Gonna be so damn fun. I saw a video yesterday of a guy wingsuit to the top of a radio tower. It was awesome.

That's exactly the thing. Nothing needed to be sacrificed. They could've fixed those two things you hated, and then iterated and improved on the rest of the game. What me and others are disappointed in (bear in mind, based on what FC3 SEEMS to be like, since we haven't played it) is that while they seem to have improved upon many mechanics from FC2, they took out a lot of stuff that could've been made better instead of completely removed, and added tons of features that seem counter to the type of game FC2 tried to be (a harsh, spartan, highly atmospheric systems-based open world shooter).

beastmode

Well coming from someone who appreciates FC2 for what it did. I totally understand this viewpoint. Though I'm not sure how well Far Cry 2 did sales wise, I think it might stem from the fact that ALOT of people disliked alot of things to the point tUbi took notice and tried to fix them. It's sadly one of those "can't please everyone" situations. Far Cry 2 was such a balsy games when it came to some of it's defining gameplay aspects. Yet I can't blame Ubi for trying to change that so inevitable part 3 sells more.
Well, that's been my opinion... Does he hate fun, too?

There are plenty of creative solutions to Far Cry 2's issues (like mission objectives being closer instead of implementing fast travel) that don't make the game worse. Don't forget these poor changes extend further than what was complained about and in some cases could have been made optional.
That and the damn super senses of the enemy AI that can see you at night, in tall grass, on top of a mountain/hill.
You're exaggerating. I snuck past 10s of guards to complete a mission objective in broad daylight. Stick behind solid cover and crouch.

Eideka

Banned
That's good to hear. Though, I hope the framerate stays as good as it's said to be running now in DX9. In TB's video he says he's pulling an average of 60fps with everything at max. That's a whole hell of a lot better than those initial benchmarks.

Those benchmarks you are alluding to were run in DX11 mode.

That's exactly the thing. Nothing needed to be sacrificed. They could've fixed those two things you hated, and then iterated and improved on the rest of the game. What me and others are disappointed in (bear in mind, based on what FC3 SEEMS to be like) is that they took out a lot of stuff that could've been made better instead of completely removed, and that they added tons of features that seem counter to the type of game FC2 tried to be (a harsh, spartan, systems-based open world shooter).

FC2 is a different game from FC1, just like this is a departure from the other, believe it or not, they're making this game as a sequel to FC2, nor are they making it for the fans of that game, they're trying to salvage the ORIGINAL games appeal, and in that they've succeeded as far as the reviews..please, get over it, especially Beastmode, dude is tenacious, familiarly so.

Sn4ke_911

8Ekyc.png

Hnnnnnnnggghh hurry up! It's almost here!

Can't wait to download it when it's released and thanks to my wonderful internet connection i can play it the next day at earliest.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm hearing that the radio towers give you access to free weapons.

Is it possible to get every weapon for free if you activate all the radio towers? or are there certain weapons/gear that are accessible only through purchasing or other means.

Ledsen

FC2 is a different game from FC1, just like this is a departure from the other, believe it or not, they're making this game as a sequel to FC2, nor are they making it for the fans of that game, they're trying to salvage the ORIGINAL games appeal, and in that they've succeeded as far as the reviews..please, get over it, especially Beastmode, dude is tenacious, familiarly so.

"Get over it" is not an argument. It's perfectly legitimate to be disappointed that UbiSoft went in a different direction instead of realizing the potential of FC2. I don't care why they did it, I'm still disappointed. That doesn't mean I won't like or even love FC3 (and I probably will), but it does mean that I would also like to see a true and proper sequel to FC2.

I'm hearing that the radio towers give you access to free weapons.

Is it possible to get every weapon for free if you activate all the radio towers? or are there certain weapons/gear that are accessible only through purchasing or other means.

Some weapons are only available by finishing missions and others by scavenging the world.

beastmode

So your entire argument is based around Far Cry 2, and a game you haven't played yet.
Based around what Far Cry 2 did right, and about how Far Cry 3 (that I have no option to play) betrays that legacy. If that's what you mean, yes.

I'm not talking about games reviewers necessarily, I'm talking about the people in here and elsewhere who've been having an absolute blast with it.
I can't speak for others. It is a common opinion from what I can tell (see: all the posts complaining about the HUD.)

If your main complaint is that optional side quests ruin the 'tone', then I don't know what else to say other than ignore the game and go and play something else because it's obvious that you have a dislike for this title and nothing will change that.
That is not the main complaint. The main complaint is that this game has little regard for verisimilitude (a hallmark of Far Cry 2.) I think some of the side quests are part of the problem (such as shooting 10 dogs with an RPG.) There is plenty that could've and can be done to solve these issues - including easy fixes that can be delivered post-launch.

iNvid02

i wonder how far you can get with the bow in this, might try a bow stealth run as long as possible.

maybe a knife for the animals that surprise attack you

GHG

Gold Member
So now that this is out can we get some real performance benchmarks from PC users? Will it be worth someone doing a PC performance thread?

I'm interested to hear what peoples performance is with the GTX670, AMD 7950/70 (Those are all cards I'm considering buying at the moment for this game...).

Top Bottom