• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

What versions are those in the pics ?
At first i thought they were just taken from different places, but the map in the lower left corner says otherwise. Pretty huge difference

Do you what system is he playing them on? PC. You can't change the Fov in the console versions.

SteveWD40

Guys is there ANY reason it's not on the UK Steam store :(

So far it seems Ubisoft made a deal with the devil (GAME) and can't release this or AC3 on Steam right now...

It's on Green Man Gaming though with 30% off using the code so you can get the download version for £25 right now. Even on Steam it will use Uplay to launch so it's almost worth just getting it there imho.

Linch

Neo Member
So far it seems Ubisoft made a deal with the devil (GAME) and can't release this or AC3 on Steam right now...

It's on Green Man Gaming though with 30% off using the code so you can get the download version for £25 right now. Even on Steam it will use Uplay to launch so it's almost worth just getting it there imho.

I cant find it on GMG? Its not on the home page, and I searched and no Far Cry games came up in results.

The only way I found it was by googling "Green Man Gaming Far Cry 3". When you do, I am logged in to GMG, and there is no purchase option? Do you have to do it through their Capsule software? Been a long time since I used GMG.

Thanks.

anddo0

Bad framerate on PS3 huh? We're at the end of these consoles and still...

Where did you read this? I'm still on the fence between PS3 and 360.

Would prefer the PS3 version..

Frame drops, not bad framerate overall from what I've seen.

I'm trying to decide between PC and PS3 myself. My laptop has a 7970m. But I most likely won't be maxing out this game. Also there is no GMG deal here in the US. So that means paying $49.99 for the PC version day one.

Not sure which game I can compare it to, but it's not bad. I go HAM with the ATV and drove a good 1300 metres around obstacles and I wasn't bothered by how the vehicle was turning.

Really? Oh, maybe the video loaded in 240p. Try it on 360p, at least that is watchable and not too blurry. :p

The very first ATV racing mission I did was beyond terrible, though. The vehicle controlled like it was stuck on glue. I had like 3 seconds left before it failed so I drove towards the red smoke like crazy and did not see the friendly that was standing behind it. He took a dive from the cliff.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bad framerate on PS3 huh? We're at the end of these consoles and still...

Yeah but you have to consider the kind of visuals/scope these engines are pushing on 7 year old hardware. Can you honestly run the game this well on what is considered an average gaming PC of 2005 ?

imagepxzim.jpg

German version, uncut according to the shop.

1.01 patch (around 90MB) is already out and HDD install is mandatory.

waypoetic

Banned
Yeah but you have to consider the kind of visuals/scope these engines are pushing on 7 year old hardware. Can you honestly run the game this well on what is considered an average gaming PC of 2005 ?

By the looks of it, it's not more impressing than Killzone 3.

iBuzz7S

Banned
The very first ATV racing mission I did was beyond terrible, though. The vehicle controlled like it was stuck on glue.
That would be expected though, would it not? I mean, if it's your first time, it isn't going to feel like what you got use to from another game.

I found the controls to be fine. With the extremely limited gameplay I experienced with Dead Island, the vehicle controlling feels similar. I could be way off, but it just felt like it for some reason.

And LOL @ the guy diving off the cliff. One of those Kodak moments. ;p

SteveWD40

I cant find it on GMG? Its not on the home page, and I searched and no Far Cry games came up in results.

The only way I found it was by googling "Green Man Gaming Far Cry 3". When you do, I am logged in to GMG, and there is no purchase option? Do you have to do it through their Capsule software? Been a long time since I used GMG.

Thanks.

Weird, UK site? I went on and it was on the home page under the "top sellers" listed, was £34.99 for pre purchase now and had the code for the discount, wasn't logged in.

linky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAjdxBLEiqk&t=45m20s

From 45:20 (where video starts) to 45:25 - apparently it happens (framerate/screen tearing) a fair bit throughout the video.

There is screen tearing but very subttle, not like in the video. Frame rate is ok except for in-engine cut scenes where it sometimes drops to something like 20fps. If you thought that FC2 PS3 version was ok this has better graphics and frame rate ( now the engine is deferred and it shows ) and less screen tearing.
The engine reminds me a lot from Battlefield 3 engine ( PS3 version at least ) in look and performance. I hope Ubi ditches Assassins creed anvil engine and uses an improved Dunia for all next gen projects.

Linch

Neo Member
Weird, UK site? I went on and it was on the home page under the "top sellers" listed, was £34.99 for pre purchase now and had the code for the discount, wasn't logged in.

linky

Yeah UK site, can't see it in top sellers either. I wonder if it's my work laptop. I will try when I get back home. Thanks for the link.

While we are at it, Can You Run It suggests I can do Recommended specs with my computer. But I hear mixed performance reports. Some saying the PC Port is really good and will run well, some saying you need a mammoth computer to run it.

Can anyone who has had hands on give me any advice?

My system is -

Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
4GB DDR2 1066mhz RAM
AMD ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB

Quote from PC Gamer UK -

and it runs decently on Ultra-everything on a modest 3GHz dual core machine with a Radeon HD 5800.

Then from Kotaku -

Far Cry 3 looks fantastic on PC—I played using both an AMD Radeon 6870 and a newer GeForce GTX 660Ti. Particularly on the GTX, with Directx11 enabled, this one's a real stunner.

So for me it sounds like it should be all good? Maybe the CPU or RAM a little behind the times, but still fast enough for a good result.

But the Benchmark from the German website scared me a little bit. Any word from people who have played it?

Thanks.

SteveWD40

I am waiting to see if I can run it at Xbox standards (1366x768, medium detail, dx9, most settings off / low) on my Toshiba Satellite, got 4GB Ram, Core i5 and a Mobility HD 5650 with 1GB, runs most things well at medium...

Hoping some youtube vids start to show up next week of people playing it on lower end rigs.

Eideka

Banned
I would recommend that anyone who has the means play the game on PC—while I don't have final retail console copies of the game to compare it to, I was less impressed by the PS3 version at a recent press event I attended. The 360 version looked okay, but neither console comes close to the crispness and high framerate of the PC version. Far Cry 3 feels as close to a true "next generation" game as anything I've played this year, and it requires current hardware to run at its best.

From Kotaku.

They are dithyrambic regarding the PC version. :)

AEREC

What's the framerate like on 360? Can't decide between PC and 360 version. If its similar to far cry 2's framerate on consoles then ill have to pass.

mandiller

Steam finished unpacking Far Cry 3. Immediately installs and launches Uplay, which asks me for my Far Cry 3 key so that the game will turn up in my Uplay library, from which I have to actually launch the game from. F*ck me. I don't want Uplay. I have Steam, I have Origin and now I'm forced to have Uplay. Uggh.

Steam finished unpacking Far Cry 3. Immediately installs and launches Uplay, which asks me for my Far Cry 3 key so that the game will turn up in my Uplay library, from which I have to actually launch the game from. F*ck me. I don't want Uplay. I have Steam, I have Origin and now I'm forced to have Uplay. Uggh.

Wait, what...this game is not released till Dec 4th on steam?

mandiller

Wait, what...this game is not released till Dec 4th on steam?

It's available in Australia now. Just unlocked.

Can't begin to say how annoyed I am that the game doesn't run from Steam, but needs to be started from Uplay.

Anyway, I've installed the latest Nvidia beta drivers. I'll report how well the game runs.

iBuzz7S

Banned
What's the framerate like on 360? Can't decide between PC and 360 version. If its similar to far cry 2's framerate on consoles then ill have to pass.
I posted my video earlier in the thread. Don't see any issues with the framerate. Everything looks to be in working order, though another video shows some bad screen tearing.

At the moment, it looks like a mixed bag.

legacyzero

Banned
But don't you want Uplay points?

:p

If you go into the options there's plenty of settings to neuter uplay. Try that out before bitching. From what I gather you can basically turn it off and launch the game directly. Not sure about multiplayer integration.

Drazgul

If you go into the options there's plenty of settings to neuter uplay. Try that out before bitching. From what I gather you can basically turn it off and launch the game directly. Not sure about multiplayer integration.

His point (and rightly so) is that he shouldn't have to install that crapware in the first place. Soon every publisher will have their own garbage platform they'll force you to install.

MJLord

Woah ! whats the code ?

SteveWD40

His point (and rightly so) is that he shouldn't have to install that crapware in the first place. Soon every publisher will have their own garbage platform they'll force you to install.

Yep, I remember saying this many times when Origin came out, only to get shouted down with the defence force cry of "Steam is like that!" (it isn't).

It was obvious that all publishers would want their own store / bloatware running on your PC and here we are...

Woah ! whats the code ?

GMG30-0S3NJ-32J92

It's on the page I linked as well.

To people who have the game, how do the vehicles control?

Not bad, tried only a two kind of jeeps but they control fine. Not great but not bad either.

Some general thoughts on the game:

- Stealth is good and works fine.
- Graphics are nice.
- My main concern about it was, enemies being bullet sponge but they are not at all. On normal difficulty, they die with 2 bullets at chest with an AK-47.
- Yes as every men and their dogs know by now, the HUD is terrible. Only thing i hated in game is the fucking HUD.
- There is a fast travel option to places you visited previously.

Played only for a few hours or so. I will post more later as i play it.

Top Bottom