• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

The Monkey Business Pack: Meet Hurk and his explosive bomb-carrying monkey in four heart-pounding missions and get two bonus ways to humiliate your friends in multiplayer
The Lost Expeditions: Discover the secrets of the island’s lost World War II ruins in two suspenseful action missions, and unlock the power of a shotgun in a one-handed flare gun in multiplayer.
Has anyone encountered these missions yet? They're 6 exclusive missions you get for the deluxe version, costs 10 bucks more. Just wanna know if they're any good and worth it.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
3 hours in with the PS3 version, and I've come around - this game is really starting to become terrific. It's just so playable - good checkpoints, quick travel, persistence... Even the tearing and uneven framerate aren't bothering me anymore.

whats your opinion on frame rate?

LEGGZZZZ

Damn that flyvpn is not working. Every time I connect the the aussie server,
I restart steam, and it still only allows me to preorder the game for dec 4, am I doing this correctly?

If character artists spent half the time on the teeth that they do sculpting scars and penis veins on every character they'd have much more convincing results. Still looks pretty phenomenal.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Has anyone encountered these missions yet? They're 6 exclusive missions you get for the deluxe version, costs 10 bucks more. Just wanna know if they're any good and worth it.

I just bought it since really 10 bucks isnt that much of a difference. Unless you are eating like bread crusts for the rest of the week.

That and the monkey business mission looks hilarious.

Someone earlier in the thread said its there in the game and is marked on the map. I think they were on the PC ver. I have it too but need to look at how to activate it.

Megasoum

Banned
I just bought it since really 10 bucks isnt that much of a difference. Unless you are eating like bread crusts for the rest of the week.

That and the monkey business mission looks hilarious.

Someone earlier in the thread said its there in the game and is marked on the map. I think they were on the PC ver. I have it too but need to look at how to activate it.

Yeah they show up on the map. On pc you need to manually add the cd-key in the "Exclusive Content" section of the ingame option menu.

I only did one mission of the Lost Expedition. Was reall action oriented and didn't give me much... I mean it was mostly escaping a missile silo while shooting guys. You get XP but no special items or anything.

Parakeetman

Im still let down by the overall lack in weapon selection. That and once again the fact that the devs think its fun to "cock block" the player in what attachments they can use. Other stupid irritating thing is on some of the optics how the reflection of light off of the rear glass ruins your view when trying to aim.

Seriously why model a weapon with a rail system if you cant put any attachments on.

Talk about poor design.

Also game seems to like to crash when selling items for some reason. This is the 3rd time its happened now. Anyone else ran into this yet?

Can you replay a story missions?

Have not seen any sort of option for that so am guessing no for now

Finished the game in just a little under 8 hours. I did literally no side missions aside from some hunting so I could carry more weapons. Left about half of the map unexplored too.

Im still let down by the overall lack in weapon selection. That and once again the fact that the devs think its fun to "cock block" the player in what attachments they can use. Other stupid irritating thing is on some of the optics how the reflection of light off of the rear glass ruins your view when trying to aim.

Seriously why model a weapon with a rail system if you cant put any attachments on.

Talk about poor design.

There are more weapons once you get to the second island

Sissel

Finished the game in just a little under 8 hours. I did literally no side missions aside from some hunting so I could carry more weapons. Left about half of the map unexplored too.

So did you like it?

Parakeetman

Thank god.

Ive pretty much got myself loaded out with almost all of the maxed out gear slots. I think the only ones I dont have is the wallet and quiver.

---

On a side note managed to crash out a 2nd time in a row by trying to sell at a particular self service shop in one of the taken over camps. I wonder if its that specific location thats fucking shit up. Real irritating since it freezes the game.

So did you like it?

A decent game underneath it all but a series of nagging idiosyncrasies prevent it from being really good. If you're into the open world diversions I could see one liking it more but I pretty much skipped all that. I'd also probably would have liked it more if Jason wasn't such a terrible protagonist.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Well.. I would assume you did a speed run for academic purposes, because personally I cannot imagine playing a game like this and just running through the story missions.

Parakeetman

A decent game underneath it all but a series of nagging idiosyncrasies prevent it from being really good. If you're into the open world diversions I could see one liking it more but I pretty much skipped all that. I'd also probably would have liked it more if Jason wasn't such a terrible protagonist.

Not to mention his voice acting sucks.

Would have been better off leaving the guy mute. lol

I went and rushed through some of the story missions just to go open up more of the skills. Had 10 skill points sitting around that I needed to burn through ASAP. Since had already gotten all of the starting tier stuff that I wanted. Helped opening up a ton of the map so skipping around with fast travel made it less of a hassle to get to the next story location fast.

SRTtoZ

The game is great and this wasnt even on my radar. I am about 2-3 hours in and it looks great, runs great and is basically 'skyrim with guns'. So far keeping to a stealth style of gameplay and need to get the bow ASAP!

Nome

This game started as a 10/10 for me, but it's sinking down to a 7/10 now. I've only just met Citra, and it's already getting extremely repetitive. Hunting animals was fun, but now it's just a chore. Same with herbs. The story is mediocre so far, and I'm cheering more for Vaas than any of the "good guys". The gameplay is just me highlighting dudes with my camera, stealth killing two or three of them before fucking up and just shooting everyone. Rinse and repeat.

The first time I fought someone, and they started getting attacked by komodos, it was pretty awesome. The second time, not so much. Third and fourth times, I stopped caring.

The story is dull. Characters range from great to awful... too bad the number of awful characters far outnumbers the good ones. I hope the game gets better... already dumped about 8 hours into it.

Nekrono

Cross posting from the performance thread since there seems to be more movement here and I'm really curious.

'Can someone try this real quick please... go into your config (GamerProfile) and change UseD3D11="1" to UseD3D11="0" then start a new game and tell me what happens when the intro video starts playing.'

Gorillaz

It's funny you say that your cheering for Vaas more then the heroes. Was watching Giant Bomb's quick look and they said the same thing.

They also touched on the thing that kind of rubbed me the wrong way about the characters from first glance and how they are either a parody of stereotypical "rich kids" or they were written just that terrible that someone thought they were cool.

Havn't played it yet so I can't comment on it....but I honestly hope they are just parodies of rich kids and not a complete cookie cutter predictable "heroes"

NBtoaster

Just discovered you could quickload/quicksave...the checkpoint/save system was my biggest porblem with the game and now it's fixed!

Parakeetman

It's funny you say that your cheering for Vaas more then the heroes. Was watching Giant Bomb's quick look and they said the same thing.

They also touched on the thing that kind of rubbed me the wrong way about the characters from first glance and how they are either a parody of stereotypical "rich kids" or they were written just that terrible that someone thought they were cool.

Havn't played it yet so I can't comment on it....but I honestly hope they are just parodies of rich kids and not a complete cookie cutter predictable "heroes"

If you listen to the writer his "reason" for why people may think the characters are a bunch of douchebags is because they appear to be super happy and make the viewer wonder why they arent happy like that so jealousy kicks in causing viewer to despise said characters.

What a crock of shit. Im guessing he thinks that people hate the cast of jersey shore due to being jealous. lol

Seriously, with such a shitty main character its hard to give a shit about him or his friends.
the fact that the older brother died, who should have been the main character is just a nail in the coffin for the setting
Also most irritating voice ever.

I don't think Jason is a terrible protagonist as some here like to think. I think concessions were made for gameplay reasons that make you think he goes from pussy to predator in less than 30 mins and it feels a bit off. If they had drawn it out it would have made more sense in character story progression but possibly taken away from gameplay pacing.

Now, I think it could and should have been done, but as it is I'm okay with it. Douchwy protagonists are never good unless they learn to repent their douchey ways, but Ubi chose to sacrifice character development for gameplay. I'd rather have both, but I'd I had to choose I'd choose gameplay EVERYTIME.

That aside, I think that this type of game(open world) excels more with emergent gameplay anyways, and that is this games strength. When you can have a SINGLEPLAYER game with so many possibilities and choice, it makes it considerably better. How many shitty linear games with a good story can we be fed before we're tired with the formula? Fallout 3:NV managed to have great emergent gameplay and a great story, but it lacked in mechanics, and I feel that that game is the closest overall in capability that this game can be compared to.

Gorillaz

If you listen to the writer his "reason" for why people may think the characters are a bunch of douchebags is because they appear to be super happy and make the viewer wonder why they arent happy like that so jealousy kicks in causing viewer to despise said characters.

What a crock of shit. Im guessing he thinks that people hate the cast of jersey shore due to being jealous. lol

Seriously, with such a shitty main character its hard to give a shit about him or his friends.
the fact that the older brother died, who should have been the main character is just a nail in the coffin for the setting
Also most irritating voice ever.
Is there an interview or vid where he says that? especially a vid? cause I want to see them try to say that with a serious face that the viewer is just "jealous" lmao.

Also agreed with the highlighted/spoiler part, I enjoyed his small role more then what i've seen of the main character so far. It might have been even more believable to have him as the lead instead.

patapuf

i really wish the evironment was more destructible.. Maybe i've gotten too used to it while playing bf3 but things should break more often, especially when driving.

Nome

I don't think Jason is a terrible protagonist as some here like to think. I think concessions were made for gameplay reasons that make you think he goes from pussy to predator in less than 30 mins and it feels a bit off. If they had drawn it out it would have made more sense in character story progression but possibly taken away from gameplay pacing.

Now, I think it could and should have been done, but as it is I'm okay with it. Douchwy protagonists are never good unless they learn to repent their douchey ways, but Ubi chose to sacrifice character development for gameplay. I'd rather have both, but I'd I had to choose I'd choose gameplay EVERYTIME.

That aside, I think that this type of game(open world) excels more with emergent gameplay anyways, and that is this games strength. When you can have a SINGLEPLAYER game with so many possibilities and choice, it makes it considerably better. How many shitty linear games with a good story can we be fed before we're tired with the formula? Fallout 3:NV managed to have great emergent gameplay and a great story, but it lacked in mechanics, and I feel that that game is the closest overall in capability that this game can be compared to.
Right, I don't mind that Jason turns into the ultimate soldier in a short span of time. It's a video game, and the game justifies it with all of the mysticism revolving around how he's got the warrior spirit inside him and whatnot.

My biggest issues with the story revolve around the overall lack of progression you get from doing missions. You never feel like you're accomplishing something. Hitman Absolution did this aspect REALLY well, because you know from the very beginning who the bad guys are--there are no twists. But each mission sets you up with a despicable group of mini-baddies who are extremely satisfying to take out--just as much so, if not more so, than the major antagonists. Again, I've not finished FC3, but from everything I have played so far, there is no such sense of progression. You assault faceless groups of baddies, one after another, with no real connection to Vaas or Hoyt. There's no "Lenny" here, no "Sanchez" (Hitman Absolution characters). You attack his operations, (Kicking the Hornet's Nest spoiler)
burn his weed
, but you're not really HURTING them. Meanwhile Jason, and in turn the player, is supposed to be driven by the need to find his friends and brother.

But you never get to know his friends, or his brother. There's no connection made to them. You're supposed to care about characters you've not spoken a word to (yet). It's clear there's been a ton of Assassin's Creed influences here, so you'd think that they'd at least take a cue from AC2 and build emotional bonds like with Ezio and his family first before you set out on your revenge/liberation quest. Maybe this comes into play later. Supposedly as Jason turns into a cold-blooded killer (or whatever all the media/reviews say) he starts to lose touch. But even if that were the case, the game would still benefit from making connections first before they supposedly break. An open world game like this really needs a strong narrative to pull it together. Again, really hoping this game gets better.

NBtoaster

I played one of them where you escape from an exploding Japanese bunker. It's was linear, and timed, and you don't seem to get anything interesting from it (no weapons or recipes).

To be honest it is not that Jason is a terrible protagonist, Dennis a terrible buddy or Citra a terrible good girl leader. It is just that Vaas is such an charismatic character in terms of insanity and the way he talks (Michael Mando), that makes everyone else feel like Bollywood material.

I mean. Let us be real. That intro was one of the best intro's for a very long time.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
is it just me or do silenced weapons (especially the silenced assault rifle) completely break the camp takeovers ?

Here's my attempt at raiding a camp in a stealthy manner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbi302tk0SE

No spoilers, even though it's a mission from the story.

It is amazing to see how much one's gameplay differs from another. I stood across the river spotting everyone, swam towards the guy at the pier (got attacked by a crocodile along the way), stabbed him, went up the sawmill and somehow a tiger started to attack the rest.

Two were left but they were standing close next to each other. Shot an arrow in the first guy his head and then ran like crazy towards the other before him noticing me and stabbed him to death.

Such an amazing piece of gameplay.

Ledsen

The core gameplay in this game is really solid. I have no idea why they made the content so repetitive. UbiSoft always does this, valuing quantity over quality. I'm hoping emergence will provide enough variety in the end.

It is amazing to see how much one's gameplay differs from another. I stood across the river spotting everyone, swam towards the guy at the pier (got attacked by a crocodile along the way), stabbed him, went up the sawmill and somehow a tiger started to attack the rest.

Two were left but they were standing close next to each other. Shot an arrow in the first guy his head and then ran like crazy towards the other before him noticing me and stabbed him to death.

Such an amazing piece of gameplay.

Haha, I actually just recorded something just now where I was trying to capture a camp stealthily, then I saw a tiger caged up... guess what happened. =p

Here:

http://youtu.be/5SlNk0FnNtg

To be honest it is not that Jason is a terrible protagonist, Dennis a terrible buddy or Citra a terrible good girl leader. It is just that Vaas is such an charismatic character in terms of insanity and the way he talks (Michael Mando), that makes everyone else feel like Bollywood material.

I mean. Let us be real. That intro was one of the best intro's for a very long time.

Mighty Whitey trope is the reason the story is just terribad. Some spoiled douche kid from LA is "the one" who leads these poor natives to freedom and it takes itself so seriously.

Dear god shoot me,

Parakeetman

is it just me or do silenced weapons (especially the silenced assault rifle) completely break the camp takeovers ?

Not really, considering they magically know from what general direction you are shooting at regardless of ones concealment. Unless you fire from real, real far away, even then they will turn in the general direction on occasion.

I mean hell I can take out a camp with the nade launcher and still get the 1.5k stealth exp bonus. As long as the white lines of I SEE YOU dont go to full you pretty much are going to get the bonus. At this point Im just saying fuck it and doing the dumbest things possible. Such as setting a bunch of C4 + mines around the camp without anyone seeing me then setting it all off at once.

One thing that I wish they didnt add was the idiotic Assassins Creed lets climb a high point to magically open up the map bullshit. Especially since they make some of these towers in the further away regions a fucking pain in the ass to climb. Its not fun, nor creative and sure as hell gets old fast. Same went for Assassins Creed. That was one of the features they should have got rid of in the series and never put into this game. If these boxes are so easy to break open why the hell havent the so called "natives" gone and done it themselves. The insides of the cable box which contain the "jammer" reminds me of when someone opened up a Vii, bunch of wires soldered to a single circuit board.

Now that Ive gotten everything upgraded to max I might as well just blast through the story. As dont have any real reason to do the extra side quest stuff, besides the digital deluxe edition DLC stuff. I gave up with the whole wanted missions since its always the same. Stab the fucking target. Would have been nice if they put some actual effort / creativity in there and changed things up every once in a while. Have not come across a single one yet that didnt want me to go and give some fella a new breathing hole with my blade.

Anyone know exactly how you unlock new weapons? I think I unlocked one earlier when I found a certain number of relics but I'm not certain.

Nome

Absolutely, Vaas is a superbly written, superbly acted antagonist. The rest of the crew are very generic, but that's just it--generic. There's absolutely nothing special about them because they're walking stereotypes. There's no flavor to their stories, how they're acted, no real idiosyncrasies in the way they act, and not even any truly unique dialog in terms of flavor. If you remove Vaas from the game, it doesn't make the rest of the characters any better. It just makes the game not worth playing--at least for the story.

Wow. The wingsuit adds a nice sense of momentum to the game. Hang glider was cool, but it was pretty slow. Wingsuit is essentially hang glider on bath salts. It's awesome to just jump of a mountain, circle around a camp you want to overtake, plan in the air and then execute said plan. Really cool.

nashb81

Neo Member
So from "Best Game EVA", this game has gone down to "nice but repetitive" since the past few pages. Makes me wonder how much of the game reviewers played before they deemed it a 10/10.

SJRB

Gold Member
"Repetitive" is such a weird thing to say about this game. It is everything but repetitive, it's just a lack of the player's creativity that makes it repetitive.

Either that or people don't understand what a open world shooter means [tip - it means you shoot people].

Ledsen

"Repetitive" is such a weird thing to say about this game. It is everything but repetitive, it's just a lack of the player's creativity that makes it repetitive.

Either that or people don't understand what a open world shooter means [tip - it means you shoot people].

The majority of the side content is extremely repetitive. Yes, it still has the emergent possibilities of Far Cry 2, but they've added a ton of chores on top of it. You can play it without touching that stuff of course (if you can live with your character being gimped in terms of inventory), but it's in there and can be legitimately criticized.

nashb81

Neo Member
I get that, but in how many different ways can you hunt an animal or how many different approaches can you take while capturing a base. Am guessing fatigue will set in sooner or later.

Tankshell

Have clocked up 10+ hours on this now, done about 5 main story quests and a bunch of hunting/crafting/exploring.

Easily my GOTY so far. Honestly can't remember the last time a game kept me up until 3am playing (probably not since GTA IV). This can only be a good sign. Will see if my opinion changes given another 50+ hours of time investment which I can easily see myself putting in to clear every last mission, explore every last inch of the islands.

Am playing on a beefy PC with everything maxed and most of the time it looks glorious from an artistic point of view... sure there are crappy rock textures... but that kind of thing never really bothers me if the game as a whole looks good... which it really does.

I can see where the 10/10 review scores came from... this is one game that for once has not disappointed me this year.

Still not buying the NPC bits, you get them around the camps you liberate but there are none that I've seen when exploring. The random 'Pop-In' guards are going to be just as annoying as the Respawning Checkpoints, I feel.

Top Bottom