• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Ledsen

I get that, but in how many different ways can you hunt an animal or how many different approaches can you take while capturing a base. Am guessing fatigue will set in sooner or later.

You're right, and I'm having a hard time expressing why it still strikes me as extremely repetitive. I guess it's a combination of the intrusive UI, the overt display of the content structure (as in everything being numbered, named and distinctly categorized), and the copy-paste nature of the actual objectives. If they don't show me all that stuff up front, it's much easier to maintain the suspension of disbelief.

The game is great and this wasnt even on my radar. I am about 2-3 hours in and it looks great, runs great and is basically 'skyrim with guns'. So far keeping to a stealth style of gameplay and need to get the bow ASAP!

I dont agree really. Skyrim's world is much more detailed and "crafted". The outposts themselves are quite generic, as is the side mission structure. Skyrim is much better in this regard.

nashb81

Neo Member
You're right, and I'm having a hard time expressing why it still strikes me as extremely repetitive. I guess it's a combination of the intrusive UI, the overt display of the content structure (as in everything being numbered, named and distinctly categorized), and the copy-paste nature of the actual objectives. If they don't show me all that stuff up front, it's much easier to maintain the suspension of disbelief.

Yeah the handholding in this game seems a bit excessive. They could have left in all the hints and tips for those who wanted them, but at the same time, they should have also allowed players to just jump right in with no hints and a very minimalistic HUD.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah the handholding in this game seems a bit excessive. They could have left in all the hints and tips for those who wanted them, but at the same time, they should have also allowed players to just jump right in with no hints and a very minimalistic HUD.

Its funny with all the hand holding the game does and emphasis on the hunting bits, they sure do make it a huge pain in the ass to find the body / carcass of a target you just killed. Sure it may, glow but doesnt help when theres grass higher than said room temp slab. AC3 does it right. This game not as much.

Devs need to stop with this hand holding bullshit. Seriously, next thing you know they will be making games that play themselves.

The idiotic magical camera that tags everything giving you super human xray vision. The drugs ok, but the camera? Really? Turns the game into a turkey shoot. And the stupid thing is you are forced to use it on occasion to figure out which are the correct targets. Such as the wanted missions for example where you need to shank someone within the group of pirates.

Tankshell

I dont agree really. Skyrim's world is much more detailed and "crafted". The outposts themselves are quite generic, as is the side mission structure. Skyrim is much better in this regard.

I could not disagree with this more.

I am finding the island a joy to explore, the amount of unique areas is great... compared to Skyrim which I got bored with after about 20 hours due to lack of variety in the environs. That and the jank, a complete contrast to the "grounded" character feeling this game gives me. It's all those body animations that interact with the geography of the island I guess. None of that in Skyrim at all.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
What system? I'm at 25% progress on PC (granted, not that far yet) with no crashes at all.

PC.

So far crashes have been from selling, buying, using the notice board for the sub quests and just out right freezing in game.

Im still on the first island, but Ive pretty much maxed out my inventory with all crafting done and gotten all bases and towers secured. Was currently working on whatever the mission after
burning down the pot farms
is.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
-vast open world game with limitless possibilities-

-reminds you once every 15 seconds to go to the next mission/objective-

SJRB

Gold Member
-vast open world game with limitless possibilities-

-reminds you once every 15 seconds to go to the next mission/objective-

This is annoying indeed. Same goes for the 4 tutorial popups you get when you load a game.

I've played this game for 20 hours now, videogame. I think I know how crafting works.

Still can't believe they forgot to add an option to disable hints and tutorials.

Nice video. I saw you were using a X360 controller on PC - does it work well here, and have you tried other FPS´s? Does it generally work well with them or is it hard to get good sens/aim to work? (Specially for games that doesn't officially support controllers)

If I play an FPS on PC that isn't competitive, I'll sometimes use a 360 controller. It works fine in this game, but aiming with the bow (and aiming in general) is much better with KB/M.

Most modern PC games are fully supported with the 360 controller nowadays - it's just plug and play.

Still can't believe they forgot to add an option to disable hints and tutorials.

Absolutely. Dishonored got that so right. You could enable or disable every bit of the Hid you didn't like. It was great. I really hope that someone drops a mod for this. It does seem like a big oversight from Ubisoft to not include it as a choice. Especially when they give you the capability to snap screenshots on PC that show up with no HUD. Which in my mind indicates," game looks good when there aren't a bunch of distracting icons on screen, let's let them look but not touch." vibe.

NBtoaster

The repition is starting to set in a bit. The game needs much more randomness to spice things up. I know you can occasionally find hostages or someone needing their car fixed but that's literally it. Every animal seems to appear in the same place and there are no pirates at all in captured territory outside missions.

Manager

If I play an FPS on PC that isn't competitive, I'll sometimes use a 360 controller. It works fine in this game, but aiming with the bow (and aiming in general) is much better with KB/M.

Most modern PC games are fully supported with the 360 controller nowadays - it's just plug and play.

Thanks! Just saw it seems like both Xpadder and Pinnacle helps well with games that lack support too.

Tankshell

Chyeah... if you're lucky. *cough*Mass Effect 3*cough*Modern Warfare 3*sigh*.

Thanks! Just saw it seems like both Xpadder and Pinnacle helps well with games that lack support too.

Except for one critical drawback... it is not possible to simulate analogue movement in games that don't have native controller support.

The repition is starting to set in a bit. The game needs much more randomness to spice things up. I know you can occasionally find hostages or someone needing their car fixed but that's literally it. Every animal seems to appear in the same place and there are no pirates at all in captured territory outside missions.

I have found my experience to be pretty much completely different than you. I've gone hours with no deer in sight only to stumble upon them in herds in the same locations I was looking earlier. I've seen a bear attack a big ass roving squad deep in the woods, and then go chasing after pigs.

It seems that everything that could go well in my game is happening exactly when I want it to or do t expect it to.

A similar thing happened with me and Dishonored. Everything aligned perfectly for me and it made Dishonored a sublime experience, while a friend of mine had the complete opposite experience due to him missing hints, or not performing an action at the moment that I did.

Manager

Except for one critical drawback... it is not possible to simulate analogue movement in games that don't have native controller support.

Thanks. Awww... I thought most games were covered by custom profiles. Oh well, guess I'll just have to get out of the couch then.

Nome

It's the reward structure and the lack of quicksaves for me.

The game heavily emphasizes the stealth/takedown aspect by rewarding you with exorbitant amounts of experience. Going in guns blazing will NEVER be as effective as focusing on takedowns. Takedowns and stealth also take much more effort, which means if you fail without hitting a checkpoint, you're going back and doing everything all over again. It also means that if you botch a stealth maneuver, you're effectively pigeonholed into going guns blazing. Every encounter is basically like that; the general design idea is that you'll be forced into an exciting gunfight once in a while, which leads to unexpected behaviors, but in reality this happens so often it's just annoying (YMMV here... some people may find this fun). Meanwhile, you're not really getting anything for hunting. There's no experience gain, and taking down big game isn't really a challenge because all you need to do is throw a grenade. If I were to design the hunting system, I'd make explosive weapons completely destroy the hide. Bullet weapons would heavily damage it, decreasing its worth. And if you kill it solely with a knife/bow, you get 2-3x the amount you'd get from killing it with a bullet weapon. Same goes for XP. But again, because you're not getting XP from it, and the gold gain from selling hides is paltry, the sole purpose most animals serve is crafting your first few basic upgrades. Past that, they're annoyances.

I don't think FC3 is a bad game at all. But there's nothing really grabbing me and telling me to play more. I find that I'll generally continue if I succeed, but as soon as I die I'll Alt+F4 and go play something else. Again, I chalk that up to the uninteresting story.

Tankshell

Thanks. Awww... I thought most games were covered by custom profiles. Oh well, guess I'll have play some games without couch.

Oh they will still have profiles... but they just wont have analogue movement. It basically maps the WASD on/off keyboard movement to the analogue sticks in most cases... which does not work very well.

Well wtf, I go to launch the game and boots up into the menu click continue then the thing hangs, try it a few more times same shit, my uPlay has been in offline mode for a couple days so I figure let's just restart it but now it wants me to re-enter my CD key and when I do it says it's already i use by another account.

Manager

Oh they will still have profiles... but they just wont have analogue movement. It basically maps the WASD on/off keyboard movement to the analogue sticks in most cases... which does not work very well.

I guess it makes sense. Apparently there's a 30 day trial of Pinnacle so I'll just try it and see.

Well wtf, I go to launch the game and boots up into the menu click continue then the thing hangs, try it a few more times same shit, my uPlay has been in offline mode for a couple days so I figure let's just restart it but now it wants me to re-enter my CD key and when I do it says it's already i use by another account.

Holy...

I hope that doesn't happen to me. I've been playing offline for a couple of days now.

NBtoaster

It's the reward structure and the lack of quicksaves for me.

Has quicksaves, F9 and F11.

I have found my experience to be pretty much completely different than you. I've gone hours with no deer in sight only to stumble upon them in herds in the same locations I was looking earlier. I've seen a bear attack a big ass roving squad deep in the woods, and then go chasing after pigs.

It seems that everything that could go well in my game is happening exactly when I want it to or do t expect it to.

A similar thing happened with me and Dishonored. Everything aligned perfectly for me and it made Dishonored a sublime experience, while a friend of mine had the complete opposite experience due to him missing hints, or not performing an action at the moment that I did.

I do recall a tme where a bunch of deer galloped in an area I had been through without them a couple of times, but that's not that interesting of an encounter.

Though I have had some interesting things happen, like cassowaries mauling almost an entire village of civilians.

At the moment the structure of the game is 1. Do radio tower 2. Do outpost 3. Do story, and then you move on to the next area and it happens again. I'd like to mix it up more.

Has quicksaves, F9 and F11.

I do recall a tme where a bunch of deer galloped in an area I had been through without them a couple of times, but that's not that interesting of an encounter.

Though I have had some interesting things happen, like cassowaries mauling almost an entire village of civilians.

At the moment the structure of the game is 1. Do radio tower 2. Do outpost 3. Do story, and then you move on to the next area and it happens again. I'd like to mix it up more.

You sure your expectations aren't a bit high or you were expecting something different? You gotta remember that this game is built with current consoles in mind and there are going to be shitty limitations.

My biggest complaint, is the audio. Not the voice acting, as generally it's pretty good, but every npc character sounds like they were recorded in a tin can. It's bad. Not even bad, exceptionally bad. I'm not an audiophile in the slightest and I noticed it. It is very very VERY noticeable.

KyleN

Banned
Just got this beast. Time to hunt.

idQOPVpUHCCXe.png

1. Is it possible to disable uPlay on PS3. The info that I have to register is annoying.

2. Are those weapons you can see in the weapon store all weapons of the game or do other appear later? Because, I think I saw a preview where someone was playing with a M4. But I can't find in the stores.

Frillen

1. Is it possible to disable uPlay on PS3. The info that I have to register is annoying.

2. Are those weapons you can see in the weapon store all weapons of the game or do other appear later? Because, I think I saw a preview where someone was playing with a M4. But I can't find in the stores.

You unlock "signature weapons" the more quests complete.

How likely is it that there will be an option, through mods or otherwise, to remove the HUD completely?

As far as I remember, all the shitty in game display elements have been unpopular since the first videos hit, I can't believe they were kept in.

Watching a video where all the enemies had red skulls over their heads and pulsed with a white light once you had killed them, and then a fucking truck full of enemies spawned right in front of the camera destroyed my hopes for this game to be anywhere near as immersive as FC2, but it is beautiful and the HUD is what's really stopping me from downloading this.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Uplay isn't letting me on either. It hurts. I got a 2 hour taste and NOW I NEED MORE!

There's a trainer on cheathappens that lets you disable the hud, but you have to register and pay for a premium account to download it. It'll probably show up on a free site eventually
Is that all the HUD elements or just things like the map and ammunition info? Sounds promising anyway, one more thing -

Is the 'feature' where enemy silhouettes are visible when they're behind solid objects an option in the menu or is it compulsory? And the red icons over animals and enemies, the same?

I thought that stuff might only have been when you have the camera out but I checked out some more videos and it seems to be with every weapon.

If they are compulsory, it's probably likely that individual (or all) HUD features like that could be toggled on/off when someone makes a proper trainer, right?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Yeah, I can't play either. Uplay says I need to register the game, even though I've put over 3 hours into it. When I put the key back in, says it's already in use (fucking DUH). God damn I hate Uplay, never buying a game with it again.

Dunno how to proceed from here. No combo of VPN, Steam offline, Uplay offline works to get me into the game. Seriously, fuck this, and fuck Ubisoft.

Sethos

Banned
Is that all the HUD elements or just things like the map and ammunition info? Sounds promising anyway, one more thing -

Is the 'feature' where enemy silhouettes are visible when they're behind solid objects an option in the menu or is it compulsory? And the red icons over animals and enemies, the same?

I thought that stuff might only have been when you have the camera out but I checked out some more videos and it seems to be with every weapon.

If they are compulsory, it's probably likely that individual (or all) HUD features like that could be toggled on/off when someone makes a proper trainer, right?

That's called tagging and can be turned off.

Yeah, I can't play either. Uplay says I need to register the game, even though I've put over 3 hours into it. When I put the key back in, says it's already in use (fucking DUH). God damn I hate Uplay, never buying a game with it again.

Dunno how to proceed from here. No combo of VPN, Steam offline, Uplay offline works to get me into the game. Seriously, fuck this, and fuck Ubisoft.

It's horrible. Come on Ubisoft, you're the third largest publisher in Europe and the US, make a decent program. Even the Ubisoft support site is down and there's no one on their twitter account over the weekend.

legacyzero

Banned
Is the multi-player really that bad? any more impressions? ignoring any lobby issues or glitches, i mean the gameplay itself.

Gameplay is passable IMO. What the problem is, is I've only played on the UBI maps and nothing User created yet.

You cant start your own lobby and host user made maps.

legacyzero

Banned
then how do you play on them?

Here's a look at the playlist menu:

iKCLS7w9rGSwk.png

Basically, you have your normal-everyday-game modes at the top of the list.

THEN you have the Gold, Silver, and Bronze playlists. These are specifically for user created maps.

GOLD- Maps handpicked by Ubisoft for hosting
SILVER- Play the highest rated maps
Bronze- Play new maps or unrated maps

Problem is, there is NOBODY in these playlists. Not sure if it's because the game isn't out in the US yet??

iNvid02

i havent touched mp yet but they want you to add friends in the uplay client and invite em from there, that will make you a party leader basically

and yeah, its still 3 days from release in amurrica

SJRB

Gold Member
The story takes quite a weird turn once Buck comes into play, I'm not sure what to make of all this.

Here's a look at the playlist menu:

http://i.minus.com/iKCLS7w9rGSwk.png

Basically, you have your normal-everyday-game modes at the top of the list.

THEN you have the Gold, Silver, and Bronze playlists. These are specifically for user created maps.

GOLD- Maps handpicked by Ubisoft for hosting
SILVER- Play the highest rated maps
Bronze- Play new maps or unrated maps

Problem is, there is NOBODY in these playlists. Not sure if it's because the game isn't out in the US yet??[/QUOTE]

Sigh, that sounds worrisome. The game won't have a CoD-like population so fragmenting into so many playlists was not a good idea, especially for the PC version.

Top Bottom