• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Keys

Well wtf, I go to launch the game and boots up into the menu click continue then the thing hangs, try it a few more times same shit, my uPlay has been in offline mode for a couple days so I figure let's just restart it but now it wants me to re-enter my CD key and when I do it says it's already i use by another account.

This's happening to me as well. Registered the game on uplay yesterday and now it say that I've to input a cd-key again and obviously u-play say that the key as already been used...

Klocker

The repition is starting to set in a bit. The game needs much more randomness to spice things up. I know you can occasionally find hostages or someone needing their car fixed but that's literally it. Every animal seems to appear in the same place and there are no pirates at all in captured territory outside missions.

geez. I know some people hated the respawning checkpoints in FC2 (I didnt care). But to go the other way and have no enemies left in your open world game after completing objectives? Where's the sandbox replay? Is there an option to turn on enemies in cleared area after beating it? Also shocked abut the hint and hud pop ups.

Looking forward to this on Tuesday but Jesus Christ how can they screw that up?

Tankshell

geez. I know some people hated the respawning checkpoints in FC2 (I didnt care). But to go the other way and have no enemies left in your open world game after completing objectives? Where's the sandbox replay? Is there an option to turn on enemies in cleared area after beating it? Also shocked abut the hint and hud pop ups.

Looking forward to this on Tuesday but Jesus Christ how can they screw that up?

I was hoping for something like this too. I DO like the fact that clearing an outpost removes most of the enemies in the surrounding area.... but it does leave the area feeling a bit barren.

If only there were some way the pirates could gradually take over the outposts again (just not as quickly as they did in FC2)... and with the option to disable it totally as per the vanilla FC3 game. Or even just have procedurally generated missions on the job boards... as I notice these are all one time deals. Once you have taken the outpost and done the job boards... the area is basically totally devoid of enemies forever. Unless I am mistaken.

legacyzero

Banned
Groznyj Grad is gonna be awesome! Cant wait till the user maps start flowing so I can stop playing the shitty stock maps.

ilFELIfD4AcsU.png

SJRB

Gold Member
This game is so awesome, wow. Really makes me feel like a badass, even though I still don't particularly like the protagonist.

Also - now I want a TATTAU too. Way of the Warrior!

Jac_Solar

Anyone got any info on how big the world is? Is it comparable to Far Cry 2 in terms of square-mileage? Or does anyone know the actual size in square miles?

Woo-Fu

Banned
This game is so awesome, wow. Really makes me feel like a badass, even though I still don't particularly like the protagonist.

Also - now I want a TATTAU too. Way of the Warrior!

You know somebody will get that tattoo in real life. They'll wear short sleeves to a gaming convention and then wonder why nobody recognizes their fc3 tat.

Badgerst3

Can't wait to play this in a cinematically accurate frame-rate on 360.

Please god let there be a day one patch to disable the hud.

Please.

Agreed. This has been posted many times. Hopefully some ubi employee follows gaf and this happens!

Color me skeptical. And this is not something I want a month after the game is released.

How hard can it be for a simple patch to disable HUD? Console Versions.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
That's called tagging and can be turned off.

Unfortunately you still need to use it with the camera though esp when you need it to show a specific target. The option to turn it off is just for the temporary one that happens when your sights / crosshairs with a weapon goes over a target.

Welp, first mission went pretty shitty. Just a boring gun fight.
Also the whole "you left the area, fail" was pretty bullshit. Learn a thing or two from Fallout Ubisoft Montreal.

Parakeetman

I hate the fact that this games stealth related missions are the bullshit type which fail instantly someone sees you.

Seriously can we get past lazy ass design like this already?

Parakeetman

Anyone got any info on how big the world is? Is it comparable to Far Cry 2 in terms of square-mileage? Or does anyone know the actual size in square miles?

Its most def larger than FC2. Or feels that way anyways. Since the initial island is pretty large then you have another down south once you do all you need to on the first it opens up.

FC2 wasnt that large actually from what I remember. It just felt like it with all the tedious driving you had to do since the "fast travel" system was shit in that game.

Giant Bomb Quicklook and every podcast I listen to glowing about this game. I didn't really want to spend any more cash until the next Steam sale but I give up.

What is the best deal going right now for pre-order?

Parakeetman

yup, sniping feels bad in here

That and considering they give us horrible scopes to work with since the "high powered" scope isnt very high powered it would make sniping a bit of a chore. Was quite let down with how weak the scopes are on the SRs.

Parakeetman

God damn that's beautiful, that pink mist. Nice shot btw.

Oh it appears you guys don't like the scopes/sniping? Why if I may ask? I don't know what hitscan is.

Hitscan is a term that is used mainly in computer games, most commonly in first person shooters. It refers to a calculation performed by a game to find the point at which a given line intersects a game object, and is therefore most often used to provide a crude but efficient simulation of a bullet or projectile hitting a target after being fired from a weapon.

Hitscan weapon is often used colloquially to refer to a projectile weapon which uses unmodified hitscan information to dictate whether or not it has hit its target — deploying the weapon calls the hitscan function, and if an object is detected in the path of the projectile, a hit is registered. Since the effect is immediate, the projectiles effectively travel at infinite speed and have a linear or otherwise simple trajectory — a practical but very crude simulation of a bullet's speed and accuracy. To improve the realism, programmers may use hitscan functions in slightly different ways - for example, applying a random perturbation to the calculated path to simulate inaccuracy. As another example, the assault rifle in Half-Life 2 calls a hitscan function in the middle of a 'blazing gun' animation, creating a small amount of lag between weapon deployment and the hitting of the target to better approximate real-life ballistics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitscan

iNvid02

Oh it appears you guys don't like the scopes/sniping? Why if I may ask? I don't know what hitscan is.

hitscan is when a bullet hits instantly, if you look at the gif the guy drops immediatley and it feels very unrealistic. lot of games use it coz its easy to to throw in.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man the "stab one guy in the neck, take his knife and throw it at the other guy" move is so amazing, holy shit.

Extremely useful for those typical two-men patrols too.

Parakeetman

Basically this is what it looks like in real life when firing at long distance at targets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keDEFT-I_Y8

Two games that did simulate this for a reference on this current gen would be BFBC2 and BF3. Granted its not exactly correct, but does a better job of immersion than what hitscan does for those who like attention to detail. Also the sniping sequence in the first and second "modern" MoH games.

JRW

Only minor issues Ive noticed is the fact you can't drag a body into hiding which would help since enemies will spot them and call for help, You can unlock a skill that allows you to drag someone only if they're stealth killed via Takedown (knife) but soon as you let go of the button they fall and can no longer be moved.

Also you can't holster your weapons so you're always pointing a gun etc. in peoples faces lol.

But awesome game overall, Having a lot of fun with it.

Parakeetman

Ah ya I know it's unrealistic , bullet's do take time to arrive lol. Definitely not BF3 =/

At least it makes doing some quick n dirty "sniping" with your AR possible even with the irons lol

Seeing how they made this game hold your hand so much am not really surprised that they went with a simple solution for ballistics. At least the bow and mil dots work. Btw anyone else noticed that the fire arrows dont exactly set folks on fire all the time or are not that useful for setting things on fire in general? :/ Its just faster I launch a 40mm out that way from a distance than bothering with the fire arrows. What a waste of a molotov. At least the explosive arrows are hilarious.]

Fuck it, im gonna stream some campaign (PC)

http://www.twitch.tv/legacyzero

NO! You have to finish your glorious map! D:

Jac_Solar

Its most def larger than FC2. Or feels that way anyways. Since the initial island is pretty large then you have another down south once you do all you need to on the first it opens up.

FC2 wasnt that large actually from what I remember. It just felt like it with all the tedious driving you had to do since the "fast travel" system was shit in that game.

Thanks. I've read that FC 2 is supposed to be like 31 square miles, which is huge (Like 2-3 times the size of entire GTA 4.). The feeling of freedom is more important, though, since any game would have to be pretty huge by default to even get to the point where it might "feel" huge.

Karram

So is it just me or when creating a singleplayer levels you have infinite ammo, loot system is removed and you can't have any of your skills enabled ? I hope it's just me because that would be really disappointing.

Loving this so far, but some of the wildlife is too damn strong. No way should a bear take two sniper shots directly to the face and still not die, lol.

Riggs

Banned
Can you sneak attack animals? There is a tiger on an embankment basically fucking up my entire stealth approach. I emptied two clips of hand gun ammo into his face, and he does not die. Just comes up to me and triggers a QT event and alerts the 10 guards inside the village. Pretty lame game design, it's like they don't even try sometimes.

Lol I just quit the game, tigers face just took 20 bullets, not exaggerating. I know most of you know this anyway, but god damn. What kind of game developer thinks its a good idea to let the animals take two clips of hand gun ammo directly in the face? I was literally 3 feet from the thing, dinging it in the eye balls. I can't sneak attack this village because of this stupid tiger, to laughable to continue playing at the moment maybe I will come back to this. Animal bullet sponges ftw.

Top Bottom