• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Can you sneak attack animals? There is a tiger on an embankment basically fucking up my entire stealth approach. I emptied two clips of hand gun ammo into his face, and he does not die. Just comes up to me and triggers a QT event and alerts the 10 guards inside the village. Pretty lame game design, it's like they don't even try sometimes.

Unfortunately cant sneak attack animals. Its one thing that AC3 did which was nice and appreciated.

Yeah unless its the 2 revolvers (one of them is the special one you need to buy with Uplay points) forget about trying to kill the larger wildlife with pistols.

I'm getting a sense of guilt looting all these little fishing shacks and tombs. Similar feeling from Fallout 3.

Are any of the random loot items worth keeping? Cards and poker chips I anticipate being useful for some future mini game.

Riggs

Banned
I really don't care about not being able to kill the Tiger, but this thing is literally just sitting at the point where I need to sneak into this village hah, fucking tiger is trolling me dudes. If I use shotty or C4 I will alert everyone, I mean I can do that but I kind of like to sneak in and just fucking decimate them without causing alarms to go off.

Guess I will find a different route, sometimes I wish I was a game developer (I have no skills) because shit like this would not be part of the final product. Animals like bears and tigers have thick skin I get it, but 12 bullets to the face/brain at a 3 foot range is perma death in real life with a M1911 hand gun.

Video games, SERIOUS BUSINESS GOD DAMN IT.

Who says you can't make a AAA game with mspaint? Just look at that beard.

ps_beardz7up2.jpg

CD31t.jpg

NIN90

I really don't care about not being able to kill the Tiger, but this thing is literally just sitting at the point where I need to sneak into this village hah, fucking tiger is trolling me dudes. If I use shotty or C4 I will alert everyone, I mean I can do that but I kind of like to sneak in and just fucking decimate them without causing alarms to go off.

Guess I will find a different route, sometimes I wish I was a game developer (I have no skills) because shit like this would not be part of the final product. Animals like bears and tigers have thick skin I get it, but 12 bullets to the face/brain at a 3 foot range is perma death in real life with a M1911 hand gun.

Use a silenced MP5 or any other silenced automatic weapon. Takes like half a mag to down 'em.

Dabanton

Yep I would say before you do more missions unlock all the holster space I've only done three missions and I've made sure that I now have 4 weapon slots unlocked so I have a rifle,silenced pistol,shotgun and sniper rifle a gun for pretty much every occasion. A shotgun blast will usually down a tiger, two will take out a bear.

Parakeetman

I'm getting a sense of guilt looting all these little fishing shacks and tombs. Similar feeling from Fallout 3.

Are any of the random loot items worth keeping? Cards and poker chips I anticipate being useful for some future mini game.

sell it all. worthless junk esp if they wanted you to keep it id imagine the devs wouldnt have put those items into a category that is the same as the rest of the instant sell garbage.

Riggs

Banned
Good tips silenced mp5 sounds nice. Also I almost just got hit by some guy driving like an asshole when I just went to take my trash out. I should of held F and fucked him up.

MJLord

Just finished the story, I really enjoyed the ride ! Gonna head back into the jungle now and have a swim with the sharks ! :D

Parakeetman

Good tips silenced mp5 sounds nice. Also I almost just got hit by some guy driving like an asshole when I just went to take my trash out. I should of held F and fucked him up.

I just use the MS16 or whatever they called the SOCOM-16 in the game. With the suppressor and optic sight. (The optic sight is shit though on some occasions where glare from the rear glass reflects and screws up your ability to see properly though the optic)

Though yeah it generally will take almost a mag to kill the larger animals. Also since it uses ammo from the AR pool its easier to refill on your own from dead pirates, vs the SMG which ammo isnt as abundant. Rarely encounter guys with SMGs and Im not exactly too keen on patting down every dead body anymore now that all I use cash for is a quick resupply.

Clevinger

Where are the animals I need to find for the next gun holster upgrades? I'm still carrying two weapons only.

Look in the crafting menu. It'll tell you the name of the animal and have a little icon of it, so you can look for hunting areas on the map. I think it's shark, or that might be the next upgrade up.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Where are the animals I need to find for the next gun holster upgrades? I'm still carrying two weapons only.
You can see what animals you need to skin in the crafting menu, then look at the map and find where those animals are usually available. Also, to max out all the upgrades, you need to do path of the hunter quests.

Zeliard

If you're struggling with animals just use a flare gun. It's a one-hit kill on them. You don't even have to wait for them to burn up. They just die.

Or be one with nature and use a bow and arrow w/ that hunting damage buff :>

How's the multiplayer in the game?

Played about an hour of it earlier, very standard and derivative. It's not necessarily bad, it just feels like it was included out of some obligation that every shooter must have multiplayer these days. The only thing I can see setting it apart is when people actually start making great custom maps, but it's too early for those yet.

JRW

Can you sneak attack animals? There is a tiger on an embankment basically fucking up my entire stealth approach. I emptied two clips of hand gun ammo into his face, and he does not die. Just comes up to me and triggers a QT event and alerts the 10 guards inside the village. Pretty lame game design, it's like they don't even try sometimes.

Lol I just quit the game, tigers face just took 20 bullets, not exaggerating. I know most of you know this anyway, but god damn. What kind of game developer thinks its a good idea to let the animals take two clips of hand gun ammo directly in the face? I was literally 3 feet from the thing, dinging it in the eye balls. I can't sneak attack this village because of this stupid tiger, to laughable to continue playing at the moment maybe I will come back to this. Animal bullet sponges ftw.

Sounds like something they'll patch lol, I normally use arrows on animals, I just did a side mission where you have to kill a black panther and took it down with 3 arrows.

putarorex

I was going to wait and get this for myself for Christmas on the console, but saw it available on Steam and bought it yesterday. Played about five hours and I am really liking it. It does seem like Skyrim with guns.

I just need to figure out how to kill a shark. I need shark skins for my crafting upgrades. I've only killed one but I am not sure how, since emptying clips on them from a boat doesn't to do much damage and I seem to have no attack option when underwater (is this a skill that opens up later?).

So happy you can have custom lighting in the Editor.

Yeah, but they don't seem to cast proper shadows (only that kind of built-in one; that stripe you see on the wall) which is kind of sad since I'm a sucker for shadows. Other than that, the lighting in the editor seems to be slightly different compared to the rest of the game. If you place a cavern asset it looks like it's somehow illuminated even when it's dark. Caves in the campaign seem much much darker. The vanilla maps look like they've got much more contrast, too. Wonder if there's any fake GI-thing in them that's not available in the map editor. Damn, we should have a separate thread for it.

Linius

I was going to wait and get this for myself for Christmas on the console, but saw it available on Steam and bought it yesterday. Played about five hours and I am really liking it. It does seem like Skyrim with guns.

I just need to figure out how to kill a shark. I need shark skins for my crafting upgrades. I've only killed one but I am not sure how, since emptying clips on them from a boat doesn't to do much damage and I seem to have no attack option when underwater (is this a skill that opens up later?).

Sharks are easier than you think.

Just run over them with a boat or jetski, one time is enough. Then dive and skin the beast.

Look in the crafting menu. It'll tell you the name of the animal and have a little icon of it, so you can look for hunting areas on the map. I think it's shark, or that might be the next upgrade up.

You can see what animals you need to skin in the crafting menu, then look at the map and find where those animals are usually available. Also, to max out all the upgrades, you need to do path of the hunter quests.

Thanks.

It's time to go hunting.

Beaulieu

it would be boring if every animal would die easily...
I think there is repelent in the game ? you can scare that tiger away with that ?

Locke_211

Sharks are easier than you think.

Just run over them with a boat or jetski, one time is enough. Then dive and skin the beast.

Or sniper rifle them from the shore. You can see where they are from their fins poking through the water. And they don't seem to swim away particularly urgently after the first hit. Two should do it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Welp gave it my all, honestly. I think 12+ hours is more than enough to judge this game. I don't really know how to approach any kind criticism towards this game but I'll write my disjointed thoughts anyway.... After a dozen hours of game time I feel like I had barely done anything. That could be due to me spending the first 2-3 hours of the game just trying to get it to run and look like a normal game but even then 8 hours of game time rivals the entire length of your average AAA-game, during that time entire games have started and ended yet I feel like I didn't do a single thing in this game.

Technical issues and performance woes aside this has got to be one of the most shallow games I've played all year. It's as if they spruced up the visuals of an MMORPG, tossed you into the starting zone with a first person camera, a gun and let you loose.

I got bored with the skinning and picking flowers one hour in. The inventory system was extremely restrictive and annoying, yes of course 5 leaves take more place than 4 buffalo hides in your little rucksack. Having belts, pouches and quivers for every single type of weapon, throwables, syringes, etc is extremely redundant.

There is no incentive of doing anything in the world yet it's filled to the brim with a plethora of monotonous, boring and ultimately useless actions :

- Finding relics, memory cards and letters. Why? Other than XP, why bother? It's not even close to interesting. The definition of busy work. Yeah you'll unlock one weapon or so for every 50 things you accomplish...gee.

- Speaking of XP oh boy is it a shame that a lot of interesting skills and traits are arbitrarily locked away for the sake of padding. Imagine in Crysis 1 if you didn't unlock your suitpowers until X,Y and Z hours respectively into the game. Also, following the norm for the game, a bunch of the skills are redundant and boring.

- "Liberating Camps", "Thank you Jason for liberating these roosters, pigs and rusty containers from those 2-3 evil redshirtwearing dudes, your reward is the ability to teleport here now go liberate 150 other camps" - No reason to do this, the entirety of this concept could be cut just in the favor of a regular Fallout-esque fast travel system and nothing of importance would be lost.

- Turning off Radio Tower. Did someone think this would be fun? Especially after 5 times just to realize you still have another 35 towers to go? Turning one off "reveals" three random points of interest - which ironically are so uninteresting that I thought I surely was missing something but no sometimes it's just a moldy shack, containing a chest with a meth pipe.

- Challenges/Trials, in a game that revolves to 99% of killing people - here are some challenges where you kill people but this time with a time constraint!! Other games do this infinitely better, dare to expand and mix it up a bit ( maybe there are other kinds of challenges but the handful I tried were all kill-based ).

- Medpack delivery, just add this in the pile of things that wouldn't even be interesting in a mini-game collection for the wii.

I know it's a tropical island, but other than palm trees and the occasional cave I don't think I saw anything else the game is visually repetitive, hell Just Cause 2 had snowy mountains, flower filled valleys and everything in between.

I don't remember any music other than some actual dubstep kicking in during one of the missions, I couldn't believe my ears at how out of place and awful it was and I LIKE that genre, my heart goes out to those who don't. Outside of some of the weapon sounds this game has very flat audio, I can barely hear the NPCS, there's virtually no ambient sounds and that could've helped the atmosphere immensely ( think Dark Root garden in Dark Souls ).

The story started out very interesting but 1 mission into the campaign I quickly realized it was heading towards muddy and convoluted nonsense. I couldn't care less for any of the protagonist's friends they could all die for all I care, who are they? Why should I care? Oh, there's a datafile I should read? Learn how to tell a story instead, but then again it's par for the course for a game that's almost mmo-like in nature. I will however say that Vas as a character and voice actor is phenomenal, and sticks out as a reminder of how awful everyone else is.

For a game that's apparently so proud of being a vast open world the world itself is surprisingly static. The entire game is the perfect example of where quantity over quality goes wrong, so much useless stuff that doesn't even come close to fun gameplay wise. Just because you can have a 10 000 square mile island doesn't mean you should especially considering there's nothing to be gained from it when it's as barren as this island is.

Now I probably comes across as if this is the worst game I've played. Definitely not, it is however the epitome of average, it's like any other shooter, it does nothing to stand out yet it has been hailed as some kind of groundbreaking openworld game that engulfs the player.

I'm extremely disappointed. I tried over and over again to let the game show me why it's one of the highest reviewed games of 2012 but one or two hours would pass and I would grow sleepy out of boredom.

edit : Uplay is awful, the ui is horrendous, the tutorials are mind numbing etc I'm beating a dead horse by now.

Damn it Corky, I see some of your complaints being mine as well. Still, I haven't hit that point yet where I think the quests are mundane and monotonous.

Top Bottom