• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
It's really not though. Quite refreshing to play something more open and with more variety than Halo or CoD.

Actually, I'd say Halo is the perfect blend of CoD and FC3, in the CoD games I've played you're funneled a long in a tight corridor blasting people. In FC3, yes the world is open but enemies are 99% confined to camps or the like. In Halo you have semi-expansive battle arenas where you square off against people until you move onto the next.

Also, for the love of god if there's anything Far Cry 3 doesn't have then it's variety when it comes to the core gameplay. In that regard Halo and CoD are exponentially better with regards to vehicle-sections, "set pieces" *shudder* etc.

iNgAxJCwIRsyv.gif
I need it to be Tuesday now.

Sethos

Banned
I've finally hit the wall with this game, bit like Corky. I've already written my opinions on the game but I kept pushing on trying to find that ray of hope that would keep me going. However that never comes, this game is probably the biggest case of "When you've seen the first few hours, you've seen it all" pretty much. This game is just Ubisoft Padding™ galore and it has been done lazy style.

Everything outside of the main mission is just so boring. You feel required to hunt down animals and skin them at the very beginning just to get those extra weapon slots, inventory slots etc. by then there's nothing else in the entire hunting aspect that changes. With that said, the primary quest line isn't even that interesting.

Billboards when you've liberated camps are either "Go here and pick up the designated weapon and kill X number of Y animal" and "Go here and kill generic commander with a knife". Also, camp liberation is fine for 2-3 camps and then it's just pure copy & paste, worst case of it actually.

Bunch of "Find X crap to ... well, something".

Go here and drive this quad through a few checkpoints, it won't actually be challenging as you always have like 10 seconds to go when you finish.

I haven't actually seen a game in years where it's so padded with boring crap. It feels like they made a huge map and when they had to populate it with stuff they realized the map was way too big to do something substantial and just added a few small mini-games so to speak and copy pasta'd them all over the place.

And as people are so keen to point out, it's optional. Very true but that doesn't make the opinion on this optional fluff any less valid. I like doing side objectives and stuff outside of the main storyline in open world game but I'd also like this content not to suck. They made content that suck and I'm forced to only do the main story which ... Is rubbish.

I mean, most open world games are quite fun outside of missions, just going around, exploring or causing some mayhem. However As this game is just a jungle x 1000, there's not much mayhem to cause. The entire island is as exciting to explore as a glass of water and the entire visual style gets mundane quickly and the game's atmosphere is extremely underwhelming. Honestly, most open world games are fun to explore because there's areas with so much variety - Either a new city style, snowy landscape or a new desert setting ... Something! Here it's just the same everywhere ... Everywhere.

This game needed what almost every Ubisoft game needs, a big ass knife to cut out all their padding and someone to tell the development studio to focus a bit. Imagine if they did the island 1/3 the size, focused more on the camp variety and make it more challenging to take over. Create some more variety, made hunting a lot more tension filled etc.

As I've said before, I respect that people disagree and love the game but this game just doesn't stimulate me at all. It gets boring at record speed which is surprising due to its apparent size and concept ... On paper it sounds good.

I reached that golden point where I just get bored thinking about it. I almost can't be bothered picking up where I left off in AC3 as that is apparently the exact same padding hell.

Corky, we should do some co-op, see if that liven up the game a bit :p

legacyzero

Banned
I'm not feeling any of that boredom. Basically because I'm mixing it up. I'm hardly even doing missions. I'm mostly just wandering. Hunting. "OH WHAT'S THAT OVER THERE?"

iNvid02

i've gotten my fill of aimless exploration now, quicker than i thought i would. i think skyrims fantasy setting helps a great deal in making you want to get lost in that world and just roam forever, fc3 doesnt have that same hook for me.

onto the story missions now. also, i gotta say this again but the game just looks gorgeous sometimes, a bit shallow but HAWT

SJRB

Gold Member
I cannot believe neither of the assault rifles on the second island have a suppressor attachment.

I thought for sure I saw footage of the M4 equivalent with a suppressor on Youtube at one point.

Sethos

Banned
i've gotten my fill of aimless exploration now, quicker than i thought i would. i think skyrims fantasy setting helps a great deal in making you want to get lost in that world and just roam forever, fc3 doesnt have that same hook for me.

onto the story missions now

Plus Skyrim is pure, sweet atmosphere, has amazing distinct music you really want to hear and the loot you can find by exploring can be very desirable. Skyrim also manages to stay fresh with all the environment variety.

There seems to be zero reasons to explore. Everything is pretty much given to you. Even the guns come free for the most part.

Not seeing the Eurogamer 10/10 put it that way.

iNvid02

Plus Skyrim is pure, sweet atmosphere, has amazing distinct music you really want to hear and the loot you can find by exploring can be very desirable. Skyrim also manages to stay fresh with all the environment variety.

yes, the ambient music for skyrim is just perfect for getting lost in the world, its fucking amazing. without soule skyrim would be half the game it is

not a fan of the wubwub in here, heard a few interesting pieces but it was only during scripted events

Spat_triate

Has anyone done the "Gunslinger Takedown" successfully yet? Every time I do it, he throws the knife instead.

I agree with the criticisms expressed thus far. Ubisoft could take a few pages from Bethesda's book. The side stuff is uninspired and boring.

Sethos

Banned
yes, the ambient music for skyrim is just perfect for getting lost in the world, its fucking amazing. without soule skyrim would be half the game it is

not a fan of the wubwub in here, heard a few interesting pieces but it was only during scripted events

Which is funny because I find the soundtrack quite good, there's some real gems in there like "Falling into a dream" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KckJrdHyEVA and the main theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmcWe2SrkuY however in the game itself, there's nothing distinctive or unique apparently - Only when one of the mentioned songs play during a cutscene. During gameplay it is just ... Eh.

There seems to be zero reasons to explore. Everything is pretty much given to you. Even the guns come free for the most part.

Not seeing the Eurogamer 10/10 put it that way.
I can see why Edge didn't score it higher, from playing the first few missions. But there's plenty of reasons to explore. I don't see why there needs to be some fair and just economy (that gets in the way of fun) to give you purpose to exist and function in a game world. I'm having fun exploring new ruins, climbing towers and the hunting is great. I think the real driving force is meant to be the skill tree because so many core gameplay features are locked out, like shooting on a zip line or slide tackling fools. It doesn't really appeal to me now I think about it.

iNvid02

Which is funny because I find the soundtrack quite good, there's some real gems in there like "Falling into a dream" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KckJrdHyEVA and the main theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmcWe2SrkuY however in the game itself, there's nothing distinctive or unique apparently - Only when one of the mentioned songs play during a cutscene. During gameplay it is just ... Eh.

yeah those are the exact 2 pieces i heard so far which i liked

the first one really helped the daisy scene, im liking the brody guy's voice acting too, feels genuine.

Megasoum

Banned
LOL... I hear some issing behind me so I turn around and I see like 5 komodo dragons chasing down a goat hahaha. Poor goat.

NBtoaster

There are glimpses of greatness when unexpected things happen, like driving wildly down a cliff offroad, it starts to catch fire, you bail out and it happens to hit a passing enemy jeep and explodes.

But for the most part, it feels to sterile and laid out for you.

It's enjoyable, but not as much as I hoped.

SJRB

Gold Member

The music during certain cutscenes is top notch, amazing stuff.

I can see where some of you are coming from with the whole "repetitive" and "non-rewarding exploration". I think the key factor here is that there is no loot that makes exploring worthwile like Skyrim. Exploring the Rook Islands is bacause you're looking for great vistas, landmarks, unique situations. Your mind wanders off while you climb this huge mountain, and then suddenly you encounter a patrol and you ambush them, kill them and move on.

It's a hate or love thing, I suppose.

Also - I LOVE YOU LIZA

Yeah the side stuff isn't that great (you should all pass on the Uplay redeemable mission by the way - waste of time), but I enjoy the story missions, upgrading my gear (hunting), and expanding territory. I really love swooping around a camp in a handglider (or wingsuit) to survey it, landing on a good vantage point to mark, and then get to work. AI is a bit dodgy when it comes to silently attacking outposts (dont know if its because I'm playing on Hard, but they're pretty good at figuring out where silenced fire is coming from lol), but I manage to successfully do it about 80% of the time.
As for the hunting, it reminds me a lot of RDR, right down to the surprise feline attacks lol. There's also poker, another RDR pastime.
Anyway, I'm about 70% of the way through the game and still loving it, though I am ignoring most of the side missions. The main missions and outpost assaults are where it's at for me, as well as flying in first person to get from place to place. :p Sogood.gif

Linius

360/PS3/PC
http://www.abload.de/img/fc3_pc7qje7.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]

This looks amazing, I like it more than the official boxart.

Also, not really feeling the criticism from some of the guys here. Guess I'm okay with doing random stuff for no apparant reason. I like mixing up hunting missions, dropping some supplies, fulfilling a contract and liberating outposts. Especially that last thing is just awesome, every camp asks a different approach. I really like the scouting thing and I try to do the outposts 100% stealth. And collecting stuff is not always that fun but I really like exploring the island so it doesn't bother me. Some of the relics even present some sort of challenge by hiding them in caves with water etc.

And then there's the story missions. I'm just done with [spoiler]rescuing Liza[/spoiler]. It was the first mission where you really had to do something else than just simply collect something. I hope the game continues this path from now on.

At least I have fire tips for my arrows now :D

onto the story missions now. also, i gotta say this again but the game just looks gorgeous sometimes, a bit shallow but HAWT

I can see what you mean. The setting is more varied. The second island in FC3 is slightly different in it's terrain it seems.

Skyrim does have that hook though.

Is it fair to say the hunting and collecting is on par with how fun it was (or wasn't) Red Dead? Personally I enjoyed that stuff as far as side quests in games go.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm having fun for now. Just met dr Earnhardt and proceeded to do some more open world stuff. I killed sharks, liberated another outpost, skinned some goats and knifed a commander. All in all, entertaining shite. I don't expect it to last much longer though

two major gripes: this is the most fucked up save system for this kind of game ever experienced. Game's open world and you can't save anywhere. Can't save during a mission. Can't save during a sequence. Can't quicksave. When you do, you restart at the closest fast travel point, which can be miles ahead or behind your objective. Ideal, in a game so damned big. Just Cause 2 had a similar one but at least you could hop on a motorbike and blaze through the highways...there are no motorways in FC3, but the punishing save system is even worse. Baffling, really

my second gripe is the amount of ways to claim a outpost, which amount to one, at least for the weapons i have now: guns ablaze and hope for the better. Can't stand in water because sharks. Can't find a vantage point because there's always some animal biting my arse when I'm surveying the zone. Can't sneak into because dogs. Can't kill dogs because alarmed guards. Can't kill guards unnoticed because everyone just notices it in seconds

third minor gripe: am I supposed to care for those spoiled rich Americans? I was this close to not even play it when the introductory video started, with fast-edited rich people doing rich things and enjoying rich hobbies. Lol

I've finally hit the wall with this game, bit like Corky. I've already written my opinions on the game but I kept pushing on trying to find that ray of hope that would keep me going. However that never comes, this game is probably the biggest case of "When you've seen the first few hours, you've seen it all" pretty much. This game is just Ubisoft Padding™ galore and it has been done lazy style.

Everything outside of the main mission is just so boring. You feel required to hunt down animals and skin them at the very beginning just to get those extra weapon slots, inventory slots etc. by then there's nothing else in the entire hunting aspect that changes. With that said, the primary quest line isn't even that interesting.

Billboards when you've liberated camps are either "Go here and pick up the designated weapon and kill X number of Y animal" and "Go here and kill generic commander with a knife". Also, camp liberation is fine for 2-3 camps and then it's just pure copy & paste, worst case of it actually.

Bunch of "Find X crap to ... well, something".

Go here and drive this quad through a few checkpoints, it won't actually be challenging as you always have like 10 seconds to go when you finish.

I haven't actually seen a game in years where it's so padded with boring crap. It feels like they made a huge map and when they had to populate it with stuff they realized the map was way too big to do something substantial and just added a few small mini-games so to speak and copy pasta'd them all over the place.

And as people are so keen to point out, it's optional. Very true but that doesn't make the opinion on this optional fluff any less valid. I like doing side objectives and stuff outside of the main storyline in open world game but I'd also like this content not to suck. They made content that suck and I'm forced to only do the main story which ... Is rubbish.

I mean, most open world games are quite fun outside of missions, just going around, exploring or causing some mayhem. However As this game is just a jungle x 1000, there's not much mayhem to cause. The entire island is as exciting to explore as a glass of water and the entire visual style gets mundane quickly and the game's atmosphere is extremely underwhelming. Honestly, most open world games are fun to explore because there's areas with so much variety - Either a new city style, snowy landscape or a new desert setting ... Something! Here it's just the same everywhere ... Everywhere.

This game needed what almost every Ubisoft game needs, a big ass knife to cut out all their padding and someone to tell the development studio to focus a bit. Imagine if they did the island 1/3 the size, focused more on the camp variety and make it more challenging to take over. Create some more variety, made hunting a lot more tension filled etc.

As I've said before, I respect that people disagree and love the game but this game just doesn't stimulate me at all. It gets boring at record speed which is surprising due to its apparent size and concept ... On paper it sounds good.

I reached that golden point where I just get bored thinking about it. I almost can't be bothered picking up where I left off in AC3 as that is apparently the exact same padding hell.

Corky, we should do some co-op, see if that liven up the game a bit :p

Sounds about right, this is why I never cared about Ass creed. Too much padding which feels like a complete waste of time. Good thing I got this game free with my GPU.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Gotta say worst bunch of characters ever from the main character to his band of buddies that got captured in the first place.

First place goes to the main character, second place goes to his blonde druggy buddy for nominations of catching one in the head.

Seriously worst written & voiced main character ever.

Linius

Gotta say worst bunch of characters ever from the main character to his band of buddies that got captured in the first place.

First place goes to the main character, second place goes to his blonde druggy buddy for nominations of catching one in the head.

Connor says hi.
Assassin's Creed 3 in case you haven't played it :p

SJRB

Gold Member

Agreed, which makes it all the more fascinating because there is no way this was NOT deliberately done.

At certain points I literally said to the protagonist "stop being such an asshole". Interactive movie, I suppose. I control his actions, but not his thoughts. Gives an interesting and fairly unique dynamic to the whole story. Story itself takes a couple of interesting twists at cetain points, it certainly keeps you guessing as to what is coming next, nothing is even remotely predictable.

I'm still not sure who I am supposed to root for, if any. They all deserve a bullet in the head.

Except Liza of course.

Some of the posts on this page prove that, at heart, FC3 has that same FC2 magic. :D

Shame about the handholding UI and the inventory and the XP pop-ups and the map system and some of the more egregious 'game-y' elements, because they nailed everything else. Once you hurdle a few artificial constraints through crafting, it's just sandbox shooter joy. Your enjoyment will correlate with your invention.

If there was a minimal/natural HUD/map patch and they brought back the diamond locator thing for collectibles, it'd be my singleplayer FPS of the generation. Might end up being that anyway.

I spent so much time playing poker in RDR. So fun.
Indeed. This one is pretty fun as well, though the AI is tougher. Gotta play smarter.
my second gripe is the amount of ways to claim a outpost, which amount to one: guns ablaze and hope for the better. Can't stand in water because sharks. Can't sneak into because dogs. Can't kill dogs because alarmed guards. Can't kill guards unnoticed because everyone just notices it in seconds. Okkkkay
This.. isn't true at all. Use a silenced sniper rifle to take out the dogs first and keep it low and moving, or they will see you when they come to investigate where the fire came from (which is dumb, I admit - it's suppressed fire, how the hell??).
Most camps have a captive animal as well, so let em loose after taking out an enemy or two in the camp to further complicate things for them, all without being seen.
It's very possible, and extremely satisfying when you do it right!
Someone never played Far Cry 1.

Linius

Besides what Revolutionary said rocks are also very usefull. Try to isolate the guards with these rocks. Just throw a couple of them and one of the guards close enough will come towards you eventually. Easy for you to take down with your knife. And whatever you do, always try to disable the alarm. You don't want back-up crews going trough the whole camp. This will happen as soon as they find a body.

MYE

This game is fucking AWESOME!
The menus though, christ are they confusing to navigate through

edit: I see GAF is already turning sour on this one. Goddamn that was fast

Looks like the backlash has started before the US has even got the game.

Its getting pretty annoying tbh

edit2: The trend of backlashing on everything around here. Not the game
The game is awesome

Yeah the open world optional stuff starts to wear thin after you've spent a good few hours at it. I used to spend hours exploring between story missions doing everything I could see, now I'm sticking much closer to the main path and often going from mission to mission, occasionally stopping to climb a nearby radio tower or liberate an outpost. As someone who is usually a completionist this game has some of the least compelling collectables and side quests I've seen.

legacyzero

Banned
This game is fucking AWESOME!
The menus though, christ are they confusing to navigate through

edit: I see GAF is already turning sour on this one. Goddamn that was fast

Its getting pretty annoying tbh
I can understand the hate for the HUD and the performance issues. But for the graphics and the gameplay in general? Baffling. And thats just the campaign side of things.

I have a strange feeling UBI severely jumped OVER the shark for the multiplayer and fucked it up completely.

Ill wait for the American release before I judge. Not much activity on the MP yet because of that.

MYE

I can understand the hate for the HUD and the performance issues. But for the graphics and the gameplay in general? Baffling. And thats just the campaign side of things.

I have a strange feeling UBI severely jumped OVER the shark for the multiplayer and fucked it up completely.

Ill wait for the American release before I judge. Not much activity on the MP yet because of that.

SP campaign is fucking awesome so far. MP, as usual, I will never touch.
The menus and UI are a bit bleh though

Anyone know if its possible to takedown the defensive guys? My go to tact with them is either 2 grenade launcher rounds to the chest or sniping them in the back of the head if they dont see you. The one time I snuck behind one, no takedown prompt came up and a just kept swinging my knife behind him and he murdered me lol

Anyone know if its possible to takedown the defensive guys? My go to tact with them is either 2 grenade launcher rounds to the chest or sniping them in the back of the head if they dont see you. The one time I snuck behind one, no takedown prompt came up and a just kept swinging my knife behind him and he murdered me lol
You need to unlock a skill to be able to do a takedown on them.
Until then, I found that a shotgun blast to the back of the head did the job. Just make sure to leave them for last or the regular enemies will go for the alarm once they hear the shot.

So people are getting bored with the open world of Far Cry 3? Is it like Red Dead? That game is by far the one this generation I've sunk the most time into.

Top Bottom