• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Wow, just finished the
Kick the hornet's nest
mission, and I'll be damned if this isn't one my favorite gaming moments of the year. So good.

ibazKtSNKanDdE.gif

Game has some many great moments, even little things like this! Best FPS I've played in a longggggggggg time.

nashb81

Neo Member
Aw, what the heck.. I got attacked by some dumb birds from behind and they killed me -___-

How do you guys go shark hunting? I need me some skin.

LMAO. What killer birds are these? Look for the shark icon on your map, and head to those shark infested waters. Snipe them or shoot them from land and go collect their skin.

Or you can try this:

Grab a boat so you can be pretty much on top of em when you take them out. So then just dive in after and try to skin as it drops to the bottom so you skip the animation.

Actually hunting and what not is far done better in AC3 than FC3 thats for sure. Its more user friendly in AC3 to be exact. Esp with when it comes to looking for the carcass of your downed prey.

AC3 held your hand way too much. I hated it. Hell FC3 has glowing bodies. How can you not see them? Also, why not just remember where you killed something? They don't bleed out, so they die on the spot that you gave the finishing shot.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
AC3 held your hand way too much. I hated it. Hell FC3 has glowing bodies. How can you not see them? Also, why not just remember where you killed something? They don't bleed out, so they die on the spot that you gave the finishing shot.

No this is plain out right stupid and lazy design. They hold your hand for everything else up to the point where you kill something then it fucking turns into wheres waldo depending on the enviro where they went down.

Hard to see a glowing body when grass / shrubbery covers it eh?

Finally maxed out my gun holster. My loadout:

Bow
Suppressed Pistol
Suppressed Sniper
Shotgun

Mainly playing stealth, but shotguns for those pesky birds, alligators, dragons, tigers and bears.

hollams

Gold Member
What do the loot maps do that you can buy in the store? It says that they show all the loot in a specific area but my map already shows everything, is there something I'm missing?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Finally maxed out my gun holster. My loadout:

Bow
Suppressed Pistol
Suppressed Sniper
Shotgun

Mainly playing stealth, but shotguns for those pesky birds, alligators, dragons, tigers and bears.

You should just go with a suppressed AR. Since ammo is free from whenever you go and ventilate a pirate. Shotgun ammo on the other hand not as much.

Just beat it.

Gonna replay on hard with some of the knowledge I gathered from the first play through. All in all a great game. Story takes a back seat to gameplay, but it's so much fun to just experiment with the different approaches to defeating a group of enemies it makes it fun.

Lakitu

st5fu
How's the weather effects in this one? I still remember being blown away during a rainy night in FarCry 2, feeling the wind and the trees swaying.

Ledsen

This game is fucking AWESOME!
The menus though, christ are they confusing to navigate through

edit: I see GAF is already turning sour on this one. Goddamn that was fast

Its getting pretty annoying tbh

edit2: The trend of backlashing on everything around here. Not the game
The game is awesome

There is no backlash. There are hyperbolic reviews, and then there are normal people getting their hands on the game and having their own thoughts that may or may not agree with the reviews. Unless you're implying that people are not expressing their honest opinion, I don't see how it could be annoying in any way that people have different opinions.

Love those moments where you think you saw something, look to your side and a tiger is sitting right next to you. Then you just run and don't look back. One time I tried throwing a Molotov at the ground. Set myself on fire and fell off a cliff. At least I didn't get eaten.

Big bird is kind of creepy, it's like a lil velociraptor. Almost as creepy as the invisible predaboar that snuck up on me once.

If ever, there has been need for mod tools, this is it. I would pay good money to see a Jurassic Park conversion of FC3. Hell, you'd really only need to change a few things as most animal behaviors are easily applicable, throw some ingen costumes on the guards, make a t-Rex, add tiger behavior. Make a raptor and give it the giant birds behavior, and there you go. Instant Amazing.

Ledsen

For all my disappointments so far, after not playing for a couple of days I'm excited to get back into it. Show me your best moves, far cry 3

derFeef

Heals in car, dudes pull a bullet out of his arm with his teeth, spits the bullet through the windshield.

I wish there were no syringes - I love those moves.

If you ghost it, you get 1500 XP. Which is so disproportionately high, I've ghosted every last one I've stumbled upon.

Ah! Didn't know there was an XP bonus for that. I'll try it out next time. Thanks.

Btw, this might be dumb, so for ghost - just don't get seen at all and don't cause any suspicion?

Ah! Didn't know there was an XP bonus for that. I'll try it out next time. Thanks.

Btw, this might be dumb, so for ghost - just don't get seen at all and don't cause any suspicion?

Exactly. No alarms, never seen essentially.

You can even lob grenades around and what not as long as they never see you, you'll still get the bonus. 1500xp.

Dilly

Banned
I can't upgrade The Heron skill tree, do I have to wait until I further progress in the game or something? Some options are unlocked, but they're greyed out.

SJRB

Gold Member
I can't upgrade The Heron skill tree, do I have to wait until I further progress in the game or something? Some options are unlocked, but they're greyed out.

Did you unlock the skill before it? It's a skill tree-like structure, but some of the lines can be a little hard to see.

Yeah so I'm completely locked out of the game, uPlay doesn't seem to think I own it while at the same time saying my key is already used by another account, I'm hesitant to start any sort of official contact until the official NA release to avoid bullshit they might feed me, I'm seriously thinking of hitting the torrents for a uPlay bypass though

MMaRsu

Yeah so I'm completely locked out of the game, uPlay doesn't seem to think I own it while at the same time saying my key is already used by another account, I'm hesitant to start any sort of official contact until the official NA release to avoid bullshit they might feed me, I'm seriously thinking of hitting the torrents for a uPlay bypass though

So did you try going into uPlay and setting it to offline and then online again?

I'm sure you've fiddled with most options right?

So did you try going into uPlay and setting it to offline and then online again?

I'm sure you've fiddled with most options right?

I've done everything one can think of, my uPlay account has simply de-synced from my copy of the game, when attempting any sort of account management as far as uPlay is concerned I don't own the game and my key has already been claimed.

I'm looking at crack options for now, once the game is officially launched in NA and I still have this problem I'll get on the horn with uPlay support.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
This.. isn't true at all. Use a silenced sniper rifle to take out the dogs first and keep it low and moving, or they will see you when they come to investigate where the fire came from (which is dumb, I admit - it's suppressed fire, how the hell??).
Most camps have a captive animal as well, so let em loose after taking out an enemy or two in the camp to further complicate things for them, all without being seen.
It's very possible, and extremely satisfying when you do it right!

Someone never played Far Cry 1.

yeah I figured, my weapons are quite awful. Only two slots unlocked. I think I'mma gonna skin some animals and get myself better equip

as for the shark hunting...people having problems with it?
Grab a rifle and nail the arsehole, but look around before taking a dive, there might be others

Man, I really hope they patch the key re-binding issues on PC. As it is, the awesome thing you get when going to the second island is basically useless for me.

Other than that, I'm really hooked on the game. Why would anyone not have the grenade launcher equipped at all times, takes out vehicles and heavies in a pinch.

Also, not really finding a use for the bow when I already have a silenced sniper and AR equipped.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man, I really hope they patch the key re-binding issues on PC. As it is, the awesome thing you get when going to the second island is basically useless for me.

Other than that, I'm really hooked on the game. Why would anyone not have the grenade launcher equipped at all times, takes out vehicles and heavies in a pinch.

Also, not really finding a use for the bow when I already have a silenced sniper and AR equipped.

Rifles require headshots on the body armor-wielding pirates, arrows are still a one-hit-kill on the torso. And they're re-usable. And they're more powerful against animals. And they make that badass PTIEW sound when you fire them. And it makes you feel like you're Rambo, running around firing arrows in the head and jamming machettes into throats.

Overdoziz

Banned
So, regarding the map editor: Is there a way to place objects more precisely with the use of the grid or coordinates or something? Because I'm having a tough time aligning and placing objects exactly the way I want.
(I'm on the 360)

Rifles require headshots on the body armor-wielding pirates, arrows are still a one-hit-kill on the torso. And they're re-usable. And they're more powerful against animals. And they make that badass PTIEW sound when you fire them. And it makes you feel like you're Rambo, running around firing arrows in the head and jamming machettes into throats.

Didn't know bows were a one hit kill. This changes everything.

I'm running with

bushman AR
grenade launcher
shotgun
silenced sniper

All these are extremely useful, so I'm at a loss as to what I should replace for the bow. Ha, it's a testament to the game's design that I'm feeling constrained by the 4 weapon limit.

Linius

I'm using my bow, silenced sniper with the better scope, shotgun and flamethrower.

Also, I've never used C4 or mines and I'm like eight hours in the game now. Is Gaf using their mines/C4 and how?

I strongly disagree with the detractors. I can kind of see their point, but their point isn't something that bothers me at all. The concept of earning slots for weapons or syringes by hunting is a lot of fun. Oh, I need Tapir hide? Where are the Tapir? I'm still having trouble locating a boar. Trying to kill shark from land, then swim out to skin their carcass at the bottom of the bay, only to be interrupted by another shark and hoping you can make it back to land so you can shoot him too, all so you can hold 4 weapons at the same time. Or sneaking up behind a pirate, the take-down indicator flashes up and before you can hit the take-down button, a Tiger mauls you from behind. I'm having a blast with this game. It's probably my game of the year.

SJRB

Gold Member
Didn't know bows were a one hit kill. This changes everything.

Arrows are not a one-hit-kill against the Heavies though, beware.

I've been running the entire game with

- bow
- suppressed assault rifle
- suppressed sniper rifle
- RPG

My main focus is stealth, I keep the RPG for quick and dirty takedowns of Heavies. All in all this setup works great for me.

Tankshell

I strongly disagree with the detractors. I can kind of see their point, but their point isn't something that bothers me at all. The concept of earning slots for weapons or syringes by hunting is a lot of fun. Oh, I need Tapir hide? Where are the Tapir? I'm still having trouble locating a boar. Trying to kill shark from land, then swim out to skin their carcass at the bottom of the bay, only to be interrupted by another shark and hoping you can make it back to land so you can shoot him too, all so you can hold 4 weapons at the same time. Or sneaking up behind a pirate, the take-down indicator flashes up and before you can hit the take-down button, a Tiger mauls you from behind. I'm having a blast with this game. It's probably my game of the year.

Agreed this game is totally awesome. My GOTY by far. And I have played a LOT of games this year.

Linius

Arrows are not a one-hit-kill against the Heavies though, beware.

I've been running the entire game with

- bow
- suppressed assault rifle
- suppressed sniper rifle
- RPG

My main focus is stealth, I keep the RPG for quick and dirty takedowns of Heavies. All in all this setup works great for me.

I can't imagine my self out there without my shotgun. Whenever things get wild I use that thing. No need to aim just blast these guys with a shot to the torso :p

I can't imagine my self out there without my shotgun. Whenever things get wild I use that thing. No need to aim just blast these guys with a shot to the torso :p
In my experience, one shotgun blast to the back of the head is all it takes for a heavy anyway. RPG is overkill to be carrying around lol

ironcreed

Banned
The concept of earning slots for weapons or syringes by hunting is a lot of fun. Oh, I need Tapir hide? Where are the Tapir? I'm still having trouble locating a boar. Trying to kill shark from land, then swim out to skin their carcass at the bottom of the bay, only to be interrupted by another shark and hoping you can make it back to land so you can shoot him too, all so you can hold 4 weapons at the same time. Or sneaking up behind a pirate, the take-down indicator flashes up and before you can hit the take-down button, a Tiger mauls you from behind. I'm having a blast with this game. It's probably my game of the year.

These are the kinds of things that make me know I'll love it. Now, ship my copy, Amazon.

SJRB

Gold Member

I wonder if we'll eventually be able to unlock a suppressed shotgun.

The suppressed shotgun in Far Cry 2 was amazing, I'd love to see it return.

tiddles

I love letting loose the animals in the enemy outposts - if they kill all the guards, you get the clearance, but there's probably still a tiger or whatnot prowling around the camp... The best part is when your buddies stroll up, very casual and so soon after your cleared it that you always think, where the hell were you guys? Then about a minute later there are shots and cries of "look out, it's a bear!" and you are thinking, oh yes, forgot to mention about that bear... :)

Top Bottom