• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

iNvid02

Can dead bodies be moved in some way?

I am trying to be stealthy but was is the use if the others quickly discover the first dead body and start shooting at everything?

theres a skill for that

you want to get these asap:
- move faster while crouching
- make less noise overall
- drag body after kill
- combo takedown
- throw knife takedown

legacyzero

Banned
dragging bodies AFTER kills. What a dumb ability that you have to unlock :lol

I just left my favorite location in the game so far. Truly awesome. Had a huge Tomb Raider vibe.

ibbjQiAI3lmR7B.png

SJRB

Gold Member
Can dead bodies be moved in some way?

I am trying to be stealthy but was is the use if the others quickly discover the first dead body and start shooting at everything?

This may be my only gripe with the game so far - I should be able to drag dead bodies, throw them over my shoulder, anything to get them out of sight.

The stab-and-drag is very useful at times, but it's not enough.

KaiserBecks

dragging bodies AFTER kills. What a dumb ability that you have to unlock :lol

...and it only works immediately after you've killed someone with a takedown. You won't be able to pick up the body afterwards. One of many weird descisions the developers have made. I'll uninstall the game as soon as I'm done with the main story. This game turned out to be a major disappointment.

M.W.

...and it only works immediately after you've killed someone with a takedown. You won't be able to pick up the body afterwards. One of many weird descisions the developers have made. I'll uninstall the game as soon as I'm done with the main story. This game turned out to be a major disappointment.

Why?

Locke_211

People wondering what difficulty to go with should do Hard from the start! Then hunting and crafting things becomes really necessary and rewarding.

I think the main difference between this and AC3 is that this gives much more purpose to doing side-stuff, especially the hunting. That and the story missions are much better and great FPS set-ups in their own right, where the AC missions aren't great examples of third-person adventuring.

Riposte

Also, something cool I found out about flashing lights in the distance if you look through your camera in certain places:

I wish they stuck to methods like this instead of everything being in your face. The UI is invasive as it is, but one might also make the mistake of focusing too much on the mini-map. I see so much of Assassin's Creed in this game. I kind wish I saw more Far Cry 2, though I think this game is better in the end.

It is pretty cool, but it doesn't quite nail all the ideas it has. I suggest ignoring most of the side content if you don't enjoy it. I do like liberating camps and while climbing radio towers isn't too exciting, but they are nice to look at. Wish this game had more complicated climbing mechanics (they borrowed a lot from AC, but they didn't borrow this). (I would have liked it if towers slowly fell apart, since they look like they are about to.)

The marking and takedown mechanics seem to be the highlights of the combat system. Mixed with some decent design, this is why I like taking down the camps (though they are starting to prove to be a little too easy even when holding back for some stealth bonuses or testing new weapon types, probably thanks to quite a few upgrades). The silliest thing about the game is probably that you can heal yourself to full with nothing. I suppose that's better than a full on regen system, but I see it as a missed opportunity. With fast travel and ammo being quite plentiful thanks to money, this game doesn't make for much "survival".

Ultimately, it will be the atmosphere which shines brightest. Those caves are especially fantastic. I've been impressed with the main missions so far (on 2nd island now).

There is no way to naturally load a car with C4 and drive it into something right? Kind of a bummer. Spent like 5 minutes trying to get that to work. Tried mines too.

EDIT: The craziest firefight I had was when I seriously tried the flamethrower for the first time (no pun intended). Thought it sucked for awhile. Shit just got completely out of control. It wasn't so much that I conquered the camp's guards, it was more like I out-lived them.

EDIT: Not being able to drag bodies outside specific conditions is a great thing. It makes you commit.

Just had my stealthiest camp overtake. No bullet fired. No arrow. No knife. No nothing. Just a picture. I was marking the bad guys with the camera when a tiger came out of nowhere. A guard tried to shoot it but quickly got killed by the pissed-off animal. Eventually the beast decided to wipe out every guards and the camp was conquered. Just like that.

Me? +1500 easy XP and left in "WTF just happened?" state of mind.

KaiserBecks

Because exploring the world is not worth it, there's little to no reward. You end up doing the same stuff over and over again. And besides taking over camps and radio towers, there isn't much to do. It all seems beautiful, fun and sort of random in the beginning, but after a couple of hours it really gets dull and repetitive. They improved a lot of things (sneaking works and combat feels "right"), but they forgot that a sandbox needs tools.

I don't know why they did whatever they did to make the water look that ugly, but that's only visual. However, after Crysis (which was released five years ago....five), there is no excuse for releasing this type of a game without a proper physics engine. And I'm not even talking about frostbite stuff here. Trees "bend" when you shoot them, but they don't fall. Sheds can burn for a couple of seconds, but nothing really happens to them and so on and so on. This game could be fantastic if it encouraged you to improvise or come up with weird ideas (like any good sandbox game should), but it doesn't. So far, I'm actually prefering the main, heavily scripted campaign. And I usually don't like scripted games.

drkOne

Just finished this. Very solid game, my favorite FPS campaign this year, before playing Halo 4, but I doubt I'll enjoy it more.

Will wait for a no-HUD option before going for full completion.

Badgerst3

Well, I've actually played the game. But I'm just stating my opinion, doesn't mean other people can't have fun with it.

Agreed. But doesn't exploring for relics get you things like the .50 cal sniper rifle?

Don't have the game yet- but that seems like a worthwhile reward for exploring.

iratA

Just came in to say how much I'm enjoying the shiiiiiit out of this game. This is such a massive step over Farcry2 its not funny. The island setting is beautiful, the story and cinemas make this much more than just another 'me too open world game'. The animal hunting stuff is actually useful. It just does so much right, hats off.

Linius

So, I have five skill points to use but no skills unlocked to give them to.

I think the game is trying to tell me I should do a little more story missions :p

KaiserBecks

Agreed. But doesn't exploring for relics get you things like the .50 cal sniper rifle?

Don't have the game yet- but that seems like a worthwhile reward for exploring.

Yes, finding relics (and completing side quests and activities) unlocks "signature weapons" (I don't have all of them yet but so far they're custom versions of your regular weapons). Relics are scattered all over the place, iirc there's 120 of them. Once you're near a relic's location, it becomes visible on your mini-map. It doesn't feel like exploration though. It's actually more of a necessary grind.

I may sound a bit too harsh though. This is a good game and it has moments in which it truly shines. I just don't think it's GotY-material and for someone like me, who loves sandbox games, it is a disappointment. Especially after the reviews.

Bollocks

So is this game better than expected?
I knew this would be a great game but has it shattered expectations?

I ask because I just bought NFS:MW and Hitman Absolution and I don't know if I should buy FC3 now too unless it's _really_ good.

Bricky

Holy shit, the first mission with the flamethrower is amazing.
The music is a perfect choice, and it makes everything feel so damn epic (especially if you burn stuff to the rythm). It's maybe even better than the Saints Row 3 'Power'-mission in terms of music-mission combi.

Frillen

So I've overtaken 32/34 outposts and I'm still not tired of it. I've activated all the radio towers and done pretty much of all of the side quests. So gonna finish up the main quest now.

MJLord

Holy shit, the first mission with the flamethrower is amazing.
The music is a perfect choice, and it makes everything feel so damn epic (especially if you burn stuff to the rythm). It's maybe even better than the Saints Row 3 'Power'-mission in terms of music-mission combi.

Oh yeah, plus
the way jason shouts "I love this gun!" helps to show him losing himself in violence
the whole mission was well planned and most of all well fun.

Definity

Im having a crazy amount of fun with this game. Almost to the second island and still loving every minute of it. You can be a serious stealth bad ass with those combo kills and knife throws. I usually flip a coin...head will be stealth mode and tails will be blow shit up mode.

So is this game better than expected?
I knew this would be a great game but has it shattered expectations?

I ask because I just bought NFS:MW and Hitman Absolution and I don't know if I should buy FC3 now too unless it's _really_ good.

I thought Hitman was okay, graphically, it's incredible, but it's a very linear game with the exception of a few levels. Contracts saves Hitman from mediocrity.

Far Cry 3 is incredible. It does have some baffling design issues, but as an overall package, it's phenomenal. It's a toss up between FC3 and Dishonored for my GOTY. It's really good. And it looks pretty good on PC.

Though, if you play it you probably won't touch the other 2 for quite a while. I say, if you want to play those, do those first, because when you start FC3 you kind of get sucked in.

Check out this insane wingsuit video. This guy must have a solid 45 seconds of flight. After restarting on hard after beating it, I miss my wingsuit.

Bricky

What really stands out in this game, and I don't see a lot of people notice this, are the little first-person animations you don't usually see in an FPS but make the game really immersive. Examples:
  • When you hit something with a car, you don't just sit there, but you actually bend forward a bit and see your hands hold on to the side of the door or something else in the car.
  • When you open a door, you actually open a door (it doesn't just magically open).
  • The healing animations are great, even if they're a bit repetitive.
Details like these animations really add to the game as a whole, and I'd love to see this in more games (even non-FPS's).

Kifimbo

What really stands out in this game, and I don't see a lot of people notice this, are the little first-person animations you don't usually see in an FPS but make the game really immersive. Examples:
  • When you hit something with a car, you don't just sit there, but you actually bend forward a bit and see your hands hold on to the side of the door or something else in the car.
  • When you open a door, you actually open a door (it doesn't just magically open).
Details like these animations really add to the game as a whole, and I'd love to see this in more games (even non-FPS's).

I'll add one to that list:

Everybody knows about climbing vines. But you can actually go down using vines, and character actually look down.

Arrows are not a one-hit-kill against the Heavies though, beware.

I've been running the entire game with

- bow
- suppressed assault rifle
- suppressed sniper rifle
- RPG

My main focus is stealth, I keep the RPG for quick and dirty takedowns of Heavies. All in all this setup works great for me.

Explosive arrows > Heavies.

Spat_triate

I wish they stuck to methods like this instead of everything being in your face. The UI is invasive as it is, but one might also make the mistake of focusing too much on the mini-map. I see so much of Assassin's Creed in this game. I kind wish I saw more Far Cry 2, though I think this game is better in the end.

It is pretty cool, but it doesn't quite nail all the ideas it has. I suggest ignoring most of the side content if you don't enjoy it. I do like liberating camps and while climbing radio towers isn't too exciting, but they are nice to look at. Wish this game had more complicated climbing mechanics (they borrowed a lot from AC, but they didn't borrow this). (I would have liked it if towers slowly fell apart, since they look like they are about to.)

The marking and takedown mechanics seem to be the highlights of the combat system. Mixed with some decent design, this is why I like taking down the camps (though they are starting to prove to be a little too easy even when holding back for some stealth bonuses or testing new weapon types, probably thanks to quite a few upgrades). The silliest thing about the game is probably that you can heal yourself to full with nothing. I suppose that's better than a full on regen system, but I see it as a missed opportunity. With fast travel and ammo being quite plentiful thanks to money, this game doesn't make for much "survival".

Ultimately, it will be the atmosphere which shines brightest. Those caves are especially fantastic. I've been impressed with the main missions so far (on 2nd island now).

There is no way to naturally load a car with C4 and drive it into something right? Kind of a bummer. Spent like 5 minutes trying to get that to work. Tried mines too.

EDIT: The craziest firefight I had was when I seriously tried the flamethrower for the first time (no pun intended). Thought it sucked for awhile. Shit just got completely out of control. It wasn't so much that I conquered the camp's guards, it was more like I out-lived them.

EDIT: Not being able to drag bodies outside specific conditions is a great thing. It makes you commit.

I just loaded up a 5T truck with 5 c4 bricks and blew up 7 guys at the
airport
. They aren't sticky so you can't toss it on the vehicle/surface. You have to get really close to the surface first.

Omg dat reggae dubstep.
One of the best and outrageous missions ive played in any game in a long time.

Surprised how much i got into this game, finding myself enjoying the story, side missions and especially the characters. The Protagonist and antagonist of the game are impressive to say the least.

This stuff gives me boner.

Is the game super satisfying played purely stealthily? I love me a stealth approach, but I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on a good deal of fun, ala how I felt during Dishonored.

KaiserBecks

I'm not even sure what you mean.

He means you can't just throw C4 at the vehicle from a distance and expect them to stick (like in Battlefield 3). It does work if you're right in front of it though. You then plant the C4 instead of throwing it.

Is the game super satisfying played purely stealthily? I love me a stealth approach, but I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on a good deal of fun, ala how I felt during Dishonored.

Outside of the main story missions, you can approach enemies in whatever way you prefer.

SJRB

Gold Member

Is is ULTRA satisfying as a stealth game. Hiding in bushes/behind trees works perfectly, sneaking up to people and stabbing them in the back is one of the best feelings in the game. The game gives you tons of tools/skills to deal with enemies silently.

The game is super fair - no eagle eye enemies, no wallhacking enemies, no pinpoint accuracy and they don't automatically know where you are. The game is also very lenient, an indicator shows that an enemy is about to spot you, after which you have a few seconds to duck, retreat or find cover. It all works great.

The best moments are drawing attention to yourself, then quickly flank from another position while the enemies are focussed on your last known location. It's awesome to mess around with the enemies, they constantly lose track of you if you keep moving.

Best stealth in a first person shooter ever? I'd say so.

Top Bottom