• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

diamount

Banned
My god, I don't know how many times that black panther kicked my arse. Takes laods of arrows to take down on warrior difficulty was so satisfying when he fell though. Wanted to do that prayer like Connor does in AC3.

Arrows are not a one-hit-kill against the Heavies though, beware.

I've been running the entire game with

- bow
- suppressed assault rifle
- suppressed sniper rifle
- RPG

My main focus is stealth, I keep the RPG for quick and dirty takedowns of Heavies. All in all this setup works great for me.

Interesting that you choose the rpg over the grenade launcher as the GL pretty much takes everything out in one hit same as rpg, but doesn't have to reload in between shots. You can just dump with the GL if you so wish.

Think I might replace my sniper for the bow for a little bit, see how it goes.

Spat_triate

I'm using my bow, silenced sniper with the better scope, shotgun and flamethrower.

Also, I've never used C4 or mines and I'm like eight hours in the game now. Is Gaf using their mines/C4 and how?

My playstyle centers around stealthy demolition so I use these a lot. C4 is kind of shitty since it can't stick to surfaces but mines can (you have to be pretty close to the surface for it to stick). Mines are glorious and can be used to booby trap anything, I mainly use them to booby trap bodies and alarms but I have also used them to set up car bombs and distractions.

My favorite use of the mine is to place it in the bush i'm hiding in before I start taking guys out. When the AI eventually telepathically figures out where i am, I move to another bush. They always go to your last hiding spot to start their search, so I usually hear the boom when I'm on my way to a flanking position.

diamount

Banned
Also, are there only two sniper rifles in the game? The name escapes me but the bolt action one is killer with a suppressor and magnified glass.

Megasoum

Banned
So I remember some of the reviewers saying to make sure to manually save before the last mission so that you can see both endings...How are you doing that exactly?

By saving through the pause menu? Does that mean that if you save in the pause menu you will reload that save instead of checkpoints the next time you restart the game?

Unless there's a way to save to a different slow that I haven't seen?

Also, are there only two sniper rifles in the game? The name escapes me but the bolt action one is killer with a suppressor and magnified glass.

I don't think so. There's at least a third one, I used later in the game. It was in a mission, so I guess I'll be able to buy it later.

SJRB

Gold Member
So I remember some of the reviewers saying to make sure to manually save before the last mission so that you can see both endings...How are you doing that exactly?

By saving through the pause menu? Does that mean that if you save in the pause menu you will reload that save instead of checkpoints the next time you restart the game?

Unless there's a way to save to a different slow that I haven't seen?

I've been wondering about this as well, there aren't any multiple saves so there's no option to reload a previous save file. As soon as the game auto-saves, it's over.

I don't think so. There's at least a third one, I used later in the game. It was in a mission, so I guess I'll be able to buy it later.

This is correct, it's this game's version of the Barret .50.

I remember in Far Cry 2 the foliage was more interactive. The vehicles for example destroyed bushes and some platns had basic physics. It wasn't crysis level but it really jumps to me how non interactive the plant life is in the game. This is not available even in the PC version :(

How do you unlock the 3rd sniper?

It's available in stores once you get to the second island. In fact, a lot of cool new stuff is available from that point. I recommend people plow through the story missions until they get to second island, then concentrate on the side stuff.

I've been using bow, silenced sniper (finally got the amazing 3rd one), silenced assault rifle and the silenced 1911 shadow. I don't use demo stuff as much but after reading some of the other methods in here I'm going to start booby trapping. I love the bow so much though, and the later takedown skills are great. I wish there was manual throwing knives tho.

I've been using bow, silenced sniper (finally got the amazing 3rd one), silenced assault rifle and the silenced 1911 shadow. I don't use demo stuff as much but after reading some of the other methods in here I'm going to start booby trapping. I love the bow so much though, and the later takedown skills are great. I wish there was manual throwing knives tho.

Yeah, definitely! There's a throwing knife mini game, but I don't want a mini game - I want to use those knives to chuck 'em at people and animals.

Also, something cool I found out about flashing lights in the distance if you look through your camera in certain places:

0782F8AFC964CCC85D37BE0326E78000906A4E88

Red_Sandvich from GameFAQs:
When looking at large areas of land through the camera, you see those flashing lights that randomly appear and reappear? If you take a picture right in the center of one of the flashes, it will place a way point marker on your map, these flashes indicate relics in different places over the map, sometimes on land, in caves or underwater.

Linius

My playstyle centers around stealthy demolition so I use these a lot. C4 is kind of shitty since it can't stick to surfaces but mines can (you have to be pretty close to the surface for it to stick). Mines are glorious and can be used to booby trap anything, I mainly use them to booby trap bodies and alarms but I have also used them to set up car bombs and distractions.

My favorite use of the mine is to place it in the bush i'm hiding in before I start taking guys out. When the AI eventually telepathically figures out where i am, I move to another bush. They always go to your last hiding spot to start their search, so I usually hear the boom when I'm on my way to a flanking position.

This sounds awesome. Think I'm gonna try stuff like this too.

And it's good to hear more weapons come available when you get to the second island. I had the feeling this would happen since none of the weapons I can get now are five stars, it wouldn't make any sense if there were no five star weapons :p

Also, I have a new tab in the store which says "signature weapon" and it's a shotgun with badass paint and a reflex sight in my case. They call it The Bull and I can buy it for 3000 bucks. You guys had a signature weapon in the store too?

Woo-Fu

Banned
How do you unlock the 3rd sniper?

You can get the signature version of it before going to the 2nd island by doing other stuff.

Check the log or whatever it is called that shows your progress on each activity and look for the signature weapon unlocks. I'm pretty sure I got it from the idols. You unlock plenty of good stuff with the idols, definitely worth your time. :)

Megasoum

Banned
This sounds awesome. Think I'm gonna try stuff like this too.

And it's good to hear more weapons come available when you get to the second island. I had the feeling this would happen since none of the weapons I can get now are five stars, it wouldn't make any sense if there were no five star weapons :p

Also, I have a new tab in the store which says "signature weapon" and it's a shotgun with badass paint and a reflex sight in my case. They call it The Bull and I can buy it for 3000 bucks. You guys had a signature weapon in the store too?

I have "The Cannon" which is a modified Magnum .44 with scope. It comes from one of the deluxe edition pre-order....or Uplay, can't remember.

Haven't seen the bull.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah, definitely! There's a throwing knife mini game, but I don't want a mini game - I want to use those knives to chuck 'em at people and animals.

Also, something cool I found out about flashing lights in the distance if you look through your camera in certain places:

WOW

I thought it was just a graphical error or something, this is awesome.

Zeppelin

Can someone who has finished the game tell me (without actually spoiling the game) if the story goes in a direction of Jeff Gerstmann's liking? During their QL it sounded like the story could either end up being really interesting or complete garbage.

Linius

Do Signature weapons become free from Tower unlocks? Or do you have to buy them?

You have to buy them. I found out that you unlock the ability to buy them by doing certain tasks. The Bull unlocks when you have found ten relics, at twenty relics you unlock the AMR, the more advanced and better sniper. You also unlock a weapon after collecting ten memory cards and after liberating 17 outposts. And more stuff like this.

Spat_triate

Can someone who has finished the game tell me (without actually spoiling the game) if the story goes in a direction of Jeff Gerstmann's liking? During their QL it sounded like the story could either end up being really interesting or complete garbage.

It didn't.

DTKT

Is the story bad from beginning to end or is it insipid enough that you can just power through it and play the good parts?

iNvid02

this game pleases my eyes

getting an uncharted vibe here which is never a bad thing. well maybe, coz now im thinking about how uncharted will never be on pc. :(

screenshot0008pwz9a.png

legacyzero

Banned
And GAFers yelled at me for putting Uncharted in the OT title LOL

Every time I fly away with a paraglider I get hurt when I'm trying to land. I suck at landing this thing safely :(

I have yet to land that damn thing successfully. Bring on the wingsuit already!

iNvid02

i think you can land without inflicting damage if you're going slow enough and you land at the right time on a flat area.

but its more fun to just fly into the side of a cliff at max speed and say fuck it this looks like a good spot

... I needed some leopards so I took the paraglider

woah you guys are monsters, im trying not to kill anything and ya'll like "NEED ME SOME LEOPARDS TODAY" lol

Linius

How are you supposed to land it safely aside from landing in water?

I dunno, but I suppose you can right? Otherwise it would be stupid to use it anyway :p

I must say I had one awesome moment with that thing. I needed some leopards so I took the paraglider over at the doctor's house and flew straight ahead to the leopard zone and I managed to let go and land just in that small water area over there :p

woah you guys are monsters, im trying not to kill anything and ya'll like "NEED ME SOME LEOPARDS TODAY" lol

They killed me a couple of times too, so don't feel sorry for them :p

Anyone been playing on PS3? I saw that Digital Foundry's conclusion was pretty damning of its performance, but is it really that much of a hindrance? I'll still be watching for it to drop below £20 though.

You have to buy them. I found out that you unlock the ability to buy them by doing certain tasks. The Bull unlocks when you have found ten relics, at twenty relics you unlock the AMR, the more advanced and better sniper. You also unlock a weapon after collecting ten memory cards and after liberating 17 outposts. And more stuff like this.

so collecting these stuff is not actually pointless

Linius

so collecting these stuff is not actually pointless

That is correct. But I remember someone in this thread complaining that it's not worth the effort for just a few weapons every 'x' ammount of collectibles. At which I disagree because I like collecting stuff and being rewarded for it in the process is nice too. Some of these relics are quite well hidden by the way.

^^^
I believe that was Corky's
You thought all these collectables were in the game for no reason? There are rewards for everything. Hell, even getting 10 relics will unlock a beastly shotgun.

i read Corky's impression few pages back and got worried.

if the rewards r guns. I don't mind

Megasoum

Banned
BTW guys you can see in your handbook wich collectibles/progression will give you bonus weapons. You just don't know which weapon it is until you get there.

Linius

BTW guys you can see in your handbook wich collectibles/progression will give you bonus weapons. You just don't know which weapon it is until you get there.

I don't believe you can see it in the game, but I found some of the unlockables online. Put it in spoiler tags below in case people don't wanna know it yet.

The Shadow is unlocked when you have liberated 17 Outposts. It is a customized 1911 handgun with a suppressor, extended magazine and reflex sight.

The Shredder is unlocked when you have found 10 Memory Cards. It is a customized Vektor SMG with a suppressor, extended magazine and optical sights

The Bull is unlocked when you have found 10 Relics. It is a customized M133 Shotgun with a extended magazine and reflex sights.

The Bushman is unlocked when you have restored all the radio towers on both islands. It is a customized P416 assault rifle with a suppressor, extended magazine and Marksman sight

The Ripper is unlocked when you have passed six Trials of Rakyat. It is a customized MKG machinegun with a extended magazine and optical sights.

The AMR is unlocked when you have found 20 Relics. It is a customized Z93 sniper rifle with a extended magazine and hi-power optics. Additionally, the round it fires is explosive.

Spat_triate

How are you supposed to land it safely aside from landing in water?

Level it off first when coming in to land. You'll get a prompt saying "Press E to land" or something like that. If you're reasonably level and close enough to the ground, you should drop and roll safely.

edit: nvm

Megasoum

Banned
I don't believe you can see it in the game, but I found some of the unlockables online. Put it in spoiler tags below in case people don't wanna know it yet.

The AMR is unlocked when you have found 20 Relics. It is a customized Z93 sniper rifle with a extended magazine and hi-power optics. Additionally, the round it fires is explosive.

...look at me giggling like a kid in a candy store.

What I don't understand about the camera: Why does the menu of it sometimes turn from white to yellow and when you take a picture it makes this "tribe"-"aaaah!". The same sound as when you collect the relics.

mil6es

seriously the bow is the most rewarding weapon I've used in a while, hitting a long-range kill gets a little "fuck yeah" under my breath.

If you land a glider right, you don't have to manually dismount; it does it for you. Just make sure you're going straight and reasonably slow toward reasonably flat ground: circle the area you're planning to land on until you get the right elevation.

C4 is kind of shitty since it can't stick to surfaces...
Yes it can. I regularly stick it to the alarm pole in outposts. :p

Spat_triate

If you land a glider right, you don't have to manually dismount; it does it for you. Just make sure you're going straight and reasonably slow toward reasonably flat ground: circle the area you're planning to land on until you get the right elevation.

Yes it can. I regularly stick it to the alarm pole in outposts. :p

Yea you're right I just tried it and it worked. 18 hours in and I'm still learning new stuff.

Dennis

Banned
Can dead bodies be moved in some way?

I am trying to be stealthy but was is the use if the others quickly discover the first dead body and start shooting at everything?

Top Bottom