• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Ended up getting under the assumption that I will be able to turn the map off at some point - after turning off weapons tagging and the reticle it's not as bad as I thought.

Vehicle control is such an improvement over 2, the fact that you can slide your car is great. Off-roading feels more like off-roading rather than your car glued to the terrain with 100% traction, which is especially awesome with the quadbike.

Also, camouflaged .44 magnum with red dot sight, hook me up.

I like that they've also kept in the different approaches to combat (not so much at the beginning with the scripted YOU HAVE TO BE STEALTHY missions) but certainly in free roam with taking safe houses and stuff.

I've only tried out a small percentage of the weapons, and I don't know them all, but I am hoping for something similar to the mortar cannon so I can emulate the way I used to play FC2 - firing a mortar and swapping out to a sniper rifle before it hits, then picking off the confused survivors while munitions boxes exploded around them. Was a pretty effective way to take out command posts real quick.

Some annoyances, knife assassinations are annoying since you are forced to use the camera to tag the group of pirates to see which one is your target, and also because, on one occasion, a freaking tiger killed my guy failed my mission, and prompted a "YOU HAVE TO USE A KNIFE" message, lol.

Graphics are nice sometimes, other times looks terrible and weird. Playing on a 3930K and 680 on ultra @ 2560x1440, seems like there is some weird ambient occlusion effect that makes everything look freaking ridiculous, with a harsh shadow around objects, more noticeable in interiors where it looks more like a blurry dark outline than a shadow. Will hop into the performance thread later to see if there's some way to disable that. Outside environment looks incredible, but too vibrant.

Overall, loving it, and not sure if it was scripted (probably was since it was just too atmospheric to be a coincidence) but on the mushroom mission where you
get the mission briefing from the doctor and you leave his house and go to find the cave
it starts raining and that flowing water is really lush, really feels wet and the whole scene is so nice! Makes me want it to rain again and I would just go and explore. The rain in FC2 never felt wet and didn't create much of an atmosphere IMO.

Edit: also, (thought this was cool) a couple got out of their car at an abandoned roadblock (abandoned because all the guards had been killed by komodo dragons) only to be mauled themselves; gotta say the animations for NPCs getting killed by animals is incredibly satisfying, the animals in this game are freaking mean. And it is also cool that friendlies and random locals drive around also, not just enemies as in FC2 where if you saw car headlights at any point, you just knew you were about to get fucked up.

This game is fucking AWESOME!
The menus though, christ are they confusing to navigate through

edit: I see GAF is already turning sour on this one. Goddamn that was fast
The quick negative nancy turnarounds are amazing. Before you know it, people are writing wistfully about how rewarding the loot in Skyrim was as a way of making their point. Holy crap.

SJRB

Gold Member
I love this game so much. Just now I paraglided off a cliff and an eagle accompanied me. I shit you not, I even made a few turns to see if it would follow me and it totally did.

Amazing.

This game is fucking with my head. I am completely engrossed in the power trip that's going on. The second island is a bit stale compared to the first from both narrative and geographic point of view, but I am still enjoying this game thoroughly. Is there any way to see what my playtime is?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Indeed. This one is pretty fun as well, though the AI is tougher. Gotta play smarter.

This.. isn't true at all. Use a silenced sniper rifle to take out the dogs first and keep it low and moving, or they will see you when they come to investigate where the fire came from (which is dumb, I admit - it's suppressed fire, how the hell??).
Most camps have a captive animal as well, so let em loose after taking out an enemy or two in the camp to further complicate things for them, all without being seen.
It's very possible, and extremely satisfying when you do it right!

Someone never played Far Cry 1.

I did and the fact that I dont remember his voice is a pretty good sign that it wasnt irritating enough. Signs that voice work is irritating is you remember names. Such as Gilbert Gottfried for example.

I seriously wish they spent a little more time making selling crap easier when it comes to the crafting materials you no longer want / need. Since going one by one selecting and confirming gets old fast. Esp when you have a maxed out inventory space of 96 slots I think it was.

Its more just for restocking myself with ammo rather than having to buy any weapons. Made it to the 2nd island and am working my way around opening up all the map with the irritating tower climbs and taking over the bases. Which do take a bit more effort now which is a good thing.

I seriously hate this games mandatory stealth segments though. Shit like that gets old fast. At least they put multiple checkpoints at the latest one I went through.

Cheska

Would you guys still recommend this game to someone who is only interested in the main campaign? Would be picking up the PS3 copy.

Anyone on PC getting no reticle on aim-down sights? Can see reticle out of zoom, but not when aimed. Weird glitch, kind of makes it unplayable until I fix it somehow.

Was playing around too much with graphics settings, I guess.

Parakeetman

Anyone on PC getting no reticle on aim-down sights? Can see reticle out of zoom, but not when aimed. Weird glitch, kind of makes it unplayable until I fix it somehow.

Was playing around too much with graphics settings, I guess.

Have not had that error, but then again I have not touched my graphical settings asides from windowed to full, which causes a problem with the minimap shrinking on occasion. Restarting the game solves it thankfully.

Parakeetman

I'll be amazed if the story doesn't end on a QTE.

Amusing how different the story missions and free roam stuff are structured.

Im sure we wont be disappointed and it will end with a QTE...
a "glorious" drug induced QTE which basically takes out all the satisfaction of killing said antagonist.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Would you guys still recommend this game to someone who is only interested in the main campaign? Would be picking up the PS3 copy.

It is the best campaign I've played through in a shooter this year. Best in recent memory, in fact. Only negative for me is too many QTEs.

Parakeetman

Also and for sure this games campaign is longer than most standard FPSes these days. You will find yourself messing with upgrading what you need to get things done. The major ones would be the holster / ammo capacity / syringes. Other stuff its up to you if you need it upgraded or not.

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody did the quest "A connection to the past"? I need to find 3 lost tablets but I can only find two...

If I search google/youtube for "A connection to the past" I only get annoying article about people pissed that you need to be connected to the web to play the game and if I search "Lost tablets" I only get reviews of Lost expeditions DLC lol...

Welp, looks like I've got a lot ahead of me. I'm trying to upgrade my wallet and gun holster, so I've got some hunting to do and capturing of outposts. Gonna be fun finding ways to capture without triggering any alarms - stealth + bow is never going to get old for me, I'd say.

Thanks, everyone.

Parakeetman

Welp, looks like I've got a lot ahead of me. I'm trying to upgrade my wallet and gun holster, so I've got some hunting to do and capturing of outposts. Gonna be fun finding ways to capture without triggering any alarms - stealth + bow is never going to get old for me, I'd say.

Thanks, everyone.

Not really spoiler material Id imagine, but anyways you can get every single upgrade on the first island.

legacyzero

Banned
ibazKtSNKanDdE.gif

Cheska

It is the best campaign I've played through in a shooter this year. Best in recent memory, in fact. Only negative for me is too many QTEs.

Also and for sure this games campaign is longer than most standard FPSes these days. You will find yourself messing with upgrading what you need to get things done. The major ones would be the holster / ammo capacity / syringes. Other stuff its up to you if you need it upgraded or not.

This is really good to hear! I don't always go for the side material so it's a relief to hear I'll enjoy myself if I just focus on the main path.

Parakeetman

This is really good to hear! I don't always go for the side material so it's a relief to hear I'll enjoy myself if I just focus on the main path.

Also not using quick travel will help with the experience. If you do use it, you can cut out a lot of play time. Though to be able to quick travel all over the place it means you need the camps liberated. So hopefully you should be ok for the most part.

Ive basically ignored a lot of the sub ! (quest markers) though I did spend a lot of time liberating everything and fully upgrading my stuff. Which added to my overall play time.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Everyone in North America getting hyped to buy this i hope. Isnt even out yet and so many positive impressions, lulz. Hope this game does well. This series is great.

Are the preorder unlocks not available till the game is officially available? Been wondering where the missions it advertised are, but I'm on the second island and I still haven't found any thing.

Parakeetman

Are the preorder unlocks not available till the game is officially available? Been wondering where the missions it advertised are, but I'm on the second island and I still haven't found any thing.

If you are using the PC version you need to unlock them from the Uplay menu selection in the main menu. There you enter your same serial # that you used to unlock the game.

*Its kinda stupid that Ubi didnt make the shit so it would unlock automatically from the initial serial # entry since its the same damned code.

Badgerst3

Hoping that this is everything ac3 was not. Like engaging, free form and FUN. And I loved all the earlier ac's. Did not play fc2.

Last time with this request- please ubisoft, patch the game to allow disabling the minimap.

Parakeetman

Hoping that this is everything ac3 was not. Like engaging, free form and FUN. And I loved all the earlier ac's. Did not play fc2.

Last time with this request- please ubisoft, patch the game to allow disabling the minimap.

Actually hunting and what not is far done better in AC3 than FC3 thats for sure. Its more user friendly in AC3 to be exact. Esp with when it comes to looking for the carcass of your downed prey.

If you are using the PC version you need to unlock them from the Uplay menu selection in the main menu. There you enter your same serial # that you used to unlock the game.

*Its kinda stupid that Ubi didnt make the shit so it would unlock automatically from the initial serial # entry since its the same damned code.

I'm at the Uplay menu in game and don't see anywhere to redeem that stuff do I have to do something else first?

Megasoum

Banned
Playing through the Lost Expedition missions (about that...wtf? lol) and I shoot a guy with the bow. Jason screams "Welcome to the science fair motherfucker" hahahahahaha.

Kreunt

Banned
Anybody did the quest "A connection to the past"? I need to find 3 lost tablets but I can only find two...

If I search google/youtube for "A connection to the past" I only get annoying article about people pissed that you need to be connected to the web to play the game and if I search "Lost tablets" I only get reviews of Lost expeditions DLC lol...

in the little temple, underwater, its pretty dark and hard to spot.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck all of you guys playing this game right now. Tuesday can't come soon enough.

Parakeetman

I'm at the Uplay menu in game and don't see anywhere to redeem that stuff do I have to do something else first?

Dont think so. Hang on let me look in mine and see if the option is still there and Ill get you a screen grab.

Oh shit sorry bad info on my behalf.

Its in the Options - Exclusive content section at the bottom of the options menu!

Main Menu --> Options --> Exclusive Content (enter serial # there)

Apologies about the mix up there.

Li Kao

Isn't the preorder section in the option menu ? I think I recall it being stupidly placed that way.
For my part I'm at the mission where I have to meet the native girl, and sure as hell hoping that this will boost the choices of perks available. I have done every blue quest in four zones and I'm still limited to a handful of choices, the rest being locked. Pretty tiring when you have accumulated many points (to the point I picked some B-tier perk :p )

Megasoum

Banned
I just finished the Lost Expedition stuff... I like what they did with the story even if it's a bit on a light side. I'm dissapointed that there's really nothing in there tho... I mean you do the 2 missions, you get a bit of story about something fucked up and you get XP along the way but that's it. I was hoping to get some kind of unique weapon at the end or something like that.

Dont think so. Hang on let me look in mine and see if the option is still there and Ill get you a screen grab.

Oh shit sorry bad info on my behalf.

Its in the Options - Exclusive content section at the bottom of the options menu!

Main Menu --> Options --> Exclusive Content (enter serial # there)

Apologies about the mix up there.

Its cool. I'm just happy to get it works. Thanks a bunch !

I moved to Australia for a few minutes to unlock it early.

I'm pretty sure Eggman is part of lesser races.
Can I get banned for typing that? I mean it entirely as a joke, but its hard to tell what goes and doesn't with these thing. I'll edit it if its not okay.

nashb81

Neo Member
Really like the game so far, but ever so often, there are a few things that really grate my nerves. How is it that I can learn a skill that allows me to quickly hide a body after I do a knife takedown, but I can't just hide bodies normally? Also I'm still on the first island, but so far the weapon selection is a bit underwhelming.

The skill tree also seems a bit weird.. I have around 7 points to assign but I can't unlock newer skills because the game wants me to play more missions. Does this mean I have to play story based missions to unlock the cool stuff?

Tesseract

Banned
Really like the game so far, but ever so often, there are a few things that really grate my nerves. How is it that I can learn a skill that allows me to quickly hide a body after I do a knife takedown, but I can't just hide bodies normally? Also I'm still on the first island, but so far the weapon selection is a bit underwhelming.

The skill tree also seems a bit weird.. I have around 7 points to assign but I can't unlock newer skills because the game wants me to play more missions. Does this mean I have to play story based missions to unlock the cool stuff?

yes.

Parakeetman

Yeah just blast through the story till you get your second tier skills. I was in the same boat with 10 points to spend.

The new weapons you will get a bunch once you make it to the 2nd island. Though you can unlock some special ones for purchase if you go and pretty much get all of the towers back online on the first island. Not really a spoiler but will tag in case.
you can get a high powered sniper rifle which isnt normally available till the 2nd island from a story mission on the first island. Just dont drop the thing and you can keep it all the way with you till it unlocks proper on the 2nd island, then you can just select it from the inventory screen at the shop. Until you get to the 2nd island and that stuff unlocked dropping it and it vanishes = you wont be able to get it again on the first island. Its pretty useful since can headshot heavies, which the 2 starting SRs cant do.

nashb81

Neo Member
Actually hunting and what not is far done better in AC3 than FC3 thats for sure. Its more user friendly in AC3 to be exact. Esp with when it comes to looking for the carcass of your downed prey.

Oh dude, tell me about it. Half the time I'm fucking searching for the dead bodies in knee deep grass, and the other half is spent achieving the right angle around the dead body so the "skin animal" prompt appears. Gets even more frustrating when you're hunting sharks.

Parakeetman

Oh dude, tell me about it. Half the time I'm fucking searching for the dead bodies in knee deep grass, and the other half is spent achieving the right angle around the dead body so the "skin animal" prompt appears. Gets even more frustrating when you're hunting sharks.

Yeah if you can try to skin the sharks as they are floating down. Since the game will skip the whole harvesting animation and just give you the item.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Sharks are the easiest thing to hunt in the game since you can do it with an anti-aircraft gun and they don't run away very fast, can't hide behind terrain.

nashb81

Neo Member
Sharks are the easiest thing to hunt in the game since you can do it with an anti-aircraft gun and they don't run away very fast, can't hide behind terrain.

Hunting sharks is not the problem. Skinning them is. It's quite unnerving when you're at the bottom of the sea, searching for their bodies, looking for an angle to skin them while their brethren could be skulking around nearby.

Parakeetman

Hunting sharks is not the problem. Skinning them is. It's quite unnerving when you're at the bottom of the sea, searching for their bodies, looking for an angle to skin them while their brethren could be skulking around nearby.

Grab a boat so you can be pretty much on top of em when you take them out. So then just dive in after and try to skin as it drops to the bottom so you skip the animation.

Top Bottom