• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Is is ULTRA satisfying as a stealth game. Hiding in bushes/behind trees works perfectly, sneaking up to people and stabbing them in the back is one of the best feelings in the game. The game gives you tons of tools/skills to deal with enemies silently.

The game is super fair - no eagle eye enemies, no wallhacking enemies, no pinpoint accuracy and they don't automatically know where you are. The game is also very lenient, an indicator shows that an enemy is about to spot you, after which you have a few seconds to duck, retreat or find cover. It all works great.

The best moments are drawing attention to yourself, then quickly flank from another position while the enemies are focussed on your last known location. It's awesome to mess around with the enemies, they constantly lose track of you if you keep moving.

Best stealth in a first person shooter ever? I'd say so.

Agreed.

Also, throwing rocks are awesome for distractions. Lure a guard to a mine, run back up a hill behind some trees/bushes, then watch the fireworks.

Ledsen

What really stands out in this game, and I don't see a lot of people notice this, are the little first-person animations you don't usually see in an FPS but make the game really immersive. Examples:
  • When you hit something with a car, you don't just sit there, but you actually bend forward a bit and see your hands hold on to the side of the door or something else in the car.
  • When you open a door, you actually open a door (it doesn't just magically open).
  • The healing animations are great, even if they're a bit repetitive.
Details like these animations really add to the game as a whole, and I'd love to see this in more games (even non-FPS's).

Yeah Far Cry 2, Metro 2033 and Riddick really pioneered that stuff. And they kept it all in Far Cry 3. Love it.

Nome

HAHAHAHAHA. Just found out the protagonists are from Santa Monica. Makes total sense... I live and work in the area. My apartment's garage is filled with Aston Martins and the occasional Ferrari and Lambo. They totally fit in with my neighbors. God these characters are disgusting.

Spoiler about the Australian character:
I was wondering why Jason said "Buck likes to fuck" (reference to Kill Bill) when he met Buck. Now I get it... it's because it's implied that Buck's been raping Keith. When Buck comes downstairs, he's makes a gesture to his crotch, and when Keith rejoins the rest of the crew, he asks you not to "tell anyone about this."

Ragus

Banned
I'm on chapter 7. The mission, where
I was kidnapped by Vaas and later, that fucking fight with a demon.

This fucking game. I love it. How far can I go into my insanity?

SJRB

Gold Member
This is getting kind of offtopic, but I thought stealth in Dishonored was most excellent. It would probably have been my GOTY if it weren't for Far Cry 3.

Bricky

This stuff gives me boner.

Is the game super satisfying played purely stealthily? I love me a stealth approach, but I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on a good deal of fun, ala how I felt during Dishonored.

It's really fun to play stealth, rambo, or a combination of both. In Dishonored you pretty much had to choose how you would approach a situation, not so much here. Just go with the flow. Start with stealth, and switch to brute force when needed. Playing stealth-only is possible, but there's not really a good reason to do so, same for rambo-style only.

What I do most of the time, is sneak in a outpost using my bow if I need to kill someone, disable the alarm (which disables reinforcements from arriving), then get me a nice big gun and shoot everybody in the face. Works like a charm.

Yeah Far Cry 2, Metro 2033 and Riddick really pioneered that stuff. And they kept it all in Far Cry 3. Love it.

Metro 2033 is indeed also a great example of this, the in-game viewing of objectives with your lighter was genius. A shame they didn't bring back the in-game map from Far Cry 2 here.

Riposte

This is disappointing to read...

I'm getting Dishonored as a gift, but seriously? I thought that game excelled in stealth.

Plenty of people liked it, but you have an ability that basically makes paying attention to level design an optional choice: Lean from behind a piece of a cover (can't be seen at all, unlike Far Cry 3's cover system) to blink (teleport, free of cost/risk) past an enemy or behind enemy to kill / knockout ("Paragon" vs "Renegade" ending) an enemy (grab body and blink out if someone else is nearby). Compare this to sneaking in and out of a camp with a bunch of gathered enemies in Far Cry 3. If they just thoughtlessly put Blink in Far Cry 3 it wouldn't be any more broken.

Metro 2033 is indeed also a great example of this, the in-game viewing of objectives with your lighter was genius. A shame they didn't bring back the in-game map from Far Cry 2 here.

Isn't the start menu suppose to be a PDA or something? Not that it matters since the implementation sucks lol.

Bricky

Isn't the start menu suppose to be a PDA or something? Not that it matters since the implementation sucks lol.

Don't think so. The menu's are clearly designed around the insanity-theme, not the 'in-game immersion'-theme (if you understand what I'm trying to say :p).

Truant

Is there a list of all the signature guns? So far it just seems like the regular guns with better stats and a custom paintjob.

Best stealth in a first person shooter ever? I'd say so.

Awesome to hear; and that's quite the call!

Question: can I slink around with a silenced pistol, wrecking dudes with headshots? I loved doing that in DX:HR and Metro 2033.

And how do the guns feel to fire? Feedback, recoil, "oomph", etc. Any games you can liken it to?

Spanks, guys.

Bricky

Awesome to hear; and that's quite the call!

Question: can I slink around with a silenced pistol, wrecking dudes with headshots? I loved doing that in DX:HR and Metro 2033.

Yup, but there's only one silenced pistol afaik and it sucks in normal combat. But yeah, it's possible.

And how do the guns feel to fire? Feedback, recoil, "oomph", etc. Any games you can liken it to?

Spanks, guys.

The guns feel great, especially the "oomph". When you fire a gun alone in the middle of the jungle for example, it doesn't just go like 'pew' but echoes all around you, really giving it an impact.

Other than that the guns walk a nice line between 'realistic' and 'arcady' to describe how they shoot. They've realistic feedback, recoil, etc, but enemies can be a bit of a bullet sponge now and then (especially the strong animals, like tigers and bears). IMO that only makes games more fun and balanced, but if you don't like that kind of unrealistic damage per bullet-ratio you might end up a bit disappointed with the combat.

Felt that being able to see through walls via the tagging system and having the ability to toss an infinite supply of rocks sort of undermined the stealth of the game

bitoriginal

Really enjoying the game, but I would have liked a little more depth. I wish you could sleep in the safehouses, effectively letting you choose what time of the day you want to venture out. Features like that would have been the cherry on the cake. It's still great fun though, but it definitely gets a little repetitive after a while.

I know this has probably been asked already, but is there any way to play this now if I ordered it through Steam and live on the East Coast?

Use an Australian VPN to unlock the US version. Preload first, exit Steam, run VPN then run Steam again and launch UPlay for the first time. Set Steam and UPlay offline until the 4th.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ubi needs to buy rights to STALKER 2 and give it to this team. Concept artists and art-director can be from Russia/Ukraine.

Yup, but there's only one silenced pistol afaik and it sucks in normal combat. But yeah, it's possible.

The guns feel great, especially the "oomph". When you fire a gun alone in the middle of the jungle for example, it doesn't just go like 'pew' but echoes all around you, really giving it an impact.

Other than that the guns walk a nice line between 'realistic' and 'arcady' to describe how they shoot. They've realistic feedback, recoil, etc, but enemies can be a bit of a bullet sponge now and then (especially the strong animals, like tigers and bears). IMO that only makes games more fun and balanced, but if you don't like that kind of unrealistic damage per bullet-ratio you might end up a bit disappointed with the combat.

Ha. I'd like to think that I'd have the nouse to switch to something a bit more capable than a pistol if hell breaks loose. Bullet sponges don't irk me any more than the next guy, so I think we're all good there.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, dude. I'm-a have to pick this one up, I think.

The wildlife in this game is so awesome. Sometimes all I need to do is sneak up to a pirate outpost and wait a little, then a jaguar or tiger appears and rips everyone to pieces. All I need to do then is walk in and clean up.

And watching cassowaries attacking and stalking pirates like they're fucking raptors or something is hilarious.

Who else is finding it hard to post here since they're having so much fun playing the game? :D

Out of all the games this year, this has been the most fun. So much to do in an open world game but it doesn't feel as feature creep. It balances the difficulty with how you progress in the open world getting possibly overpowered versus human enemies which is a main problem of most sandbox open world games, with the randomness and unscripted animal AI. The animals are a game-changer, where not only do they have various states like the predators (stand-off their territory if you come close, hunting their specific prey, attacking outposts, outpost cages) but also you're given incentive to hunt them with all the crafting. It's an evolution of RDR where the animals were there just for hunting or being pests.

It finds a balance between the disempowerment of Far Cry 2 (which went too hard on one side for most people to just not find it fun for long periods of time) by replacing the more obnoxious features like respawning outposts, not fun to travel by vehicle, malaria and gun jamming with random animals and the empowerment of open world games. The combat mechanics and tools you're given are immense, like the open level design, vehicles, hang-gliders, great cover/lean system, sliding, tagging, melee takedowns, cool secondary weapons (repair tool burning fools!), and gun customisation. The stealth options and weapons (bow, silencers, hiding in foliage, dragging bodies) and type of playthrough is more encouraged and handled properly this time around like just being able to distract with rocks and enemies having more reliable AI.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Warrior difficulty is a must if you're good at shooters.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Warrior difficulty is a must if you're good at shooters.

It's funny. I did my first playthrough on normal with a controller and felt it was a good challenge if not a bit hard.

Now on my second playthrough with kb/m on Hard and it's substantially easier. I sometimes forget the benefits of mouse aiming.

Riposte

I'm playing this with a controller, on Hard. I wouldn't call it difficult. It is enough to keep me honest, but I rarely feel like I'm in a bad spot. Death seems to be quite forgiving, which again contributes to how little "survival" elements matter in this game.

For some reason I'm more compelled to play this with a controller than a mouse.

Megasoum

Banned
Having only 2 slots for special items (syringes and arrows) is the worst thing ever... I get it when you play on a controller but it's stupid on pc.

WOW the flamethrower is amazing for hunting... I just killed a tiger in 2 sec flat...

I'm playing this with a controller, on Hard. I wouldn't call it difficult. It is enough to keep me honest, but I rarely feel like I'm in a bad spot. Death seems to be quite forgiving, which again contributes to how little "survival" elements matter in this game.

For some reason I'm more compelled to play this with a controller than a mouse.

You have nimbler thumbs than I.

Now that I'm back on kb/m it is substantially more immersive when in a vehicle. It just feels more natural.

iNvid02

aww man, the scale of the game and seeing stuff like this makes me sad. there is so much potential here but no incentive to explore.

i dont want to collect memory cards or relics, everything that can be looted is worthless and ready to be sold immediately. weapons are plentiful and free so i have all i need.

gimme something that makes me want to explore like in skyrim, this place is crying out for it.

screenshot0001s4ky2.png

Beat the game earlier tonight.... hated the story but the missions were lots of fun. The voice acting is pretty damn overall. Hated the main characters and his friends.

Easily the best shooter this year.

Megasoum

Banned
Wow...the minimap REALLY doesn't like it when you change video settings. My map is all screwed up and squished and I can't force it back to normal.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Wow...the minimap REALLY doesn't like it when you change video settings. My map is all screwed up and squished and I can't force it back to normal.

Quit game and come back. It happens sometimes. Not a 100% thing for the bug.

MYE

MISSION FAILED
Rongo was killed

MISSION FAILED
Rongo was killed

MISSION FAILED
Rongo was killed

MISSION FAILED
Rongo was killed

MISSION FAILED
Rongo was killed

MISSION FAILED
Rongo was killed

GO FUCK YOURSELF RONGO YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER!

Top Bottom