• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Gav47

What's with Jason suddenly being all excited about killing people during the chase after rescuing Daisy? If that the games way of showing the island is changing Jason or him slipping into psychosis it seems a kinda binary.

aries_71

Just started playing this game in the 360 after a long period of Halo 4. Man, the 360 sure needs an upgrade. I understand it's an open world, miles long, playing area, but boy, do the graphics suck.

heyitsphil

Neo Member
just pre ordered with amazon, looks like retailers are breaking a lot of street dates but im fine with waiting till the tomorrow.

What's with Jason suddenly being all excited about killing people during the chase after rescuing Daisy? If that the games way of showing the island is changing Jason or him slipping into psychosis it seems a kinda binary.

I think that he's grown addicted to the person he's become. There is a lot to the story, if you take the time to talk to your friends that you rescue and do drugs. It's not great, but the story is deeper than it initially appears I've learned going through my second playthrough.

Gav47

Did Gav47 just spoil stuff?
Its like 3 hrs into the game.

I think that he's grown addicted to the person he's become. There is a lot to the story, if you take the time to talk to your friends that you rescue and do drugs. It's not great, but the story is deeper than it initially appears I've learned going through my second playthrough.

I hope it is deeper, it was just the first time that happened and he literally switches from being "scared guy with huge responsibility thrust upon him" to "I'm a badass shooting this GL out of the back of this truck".

NBtoaster

Do drugs? How?

Zeliard

Do drugs? How?

ivcciuEAu5Lfa.png

In the cave. Cute Alice in Wonderland reference.

ElyrionX

I'm still on the first island but have unlocked all crafting upgrades. Did I do the wrong thing when I sold all the rest of my remaining animal skins?

ivcciuEAu5Lfa.png

In the cave. Cute Alice in Wonderland reference.

Is this a marked location or a single, unmarked cave in the middle of the game where you can find this plot stuff? Also, man, people talking about their second playthroughs and the game has yet to unlock ;_; stupid regional release dates.

Zeliard

Is this a marked location or a single, unmarked cave in the middle of the game where you can find this plot stuff? Also, man, people talking about their second playthroughs and the game has yet to unlock ;_; stupid regional release dates.

It's a story-relevant area. You can't miss the actual place, though apparently you can miss the treats inside of it. ;)

There is a hub that the people you rescue are in. That is where the drugs are at that give you some plot development. They aren't hidden by any means, but they are easy to miss if you don't know they are there. Believe me, you'll see them now when you start playing.

I'm in America too, but my ISP magically went to Australia last week when the game came out.

Zeliard

After one of the earlier missions you end up back in the cave and you're directly facing the shrooms, and I think they glow a bit like other items. It's clearly possible to miss them but I think they do try to guide you to them to some extent.

You get your game back up and running?

Nope. I went and checked out a crack option and it got the game running in German but with no voice acting and it also appears my save was nuked by the original uPlay fuck up. I said fuck it and un-installed, re-doing the Steam pre-load and on Tues I'll deal with uplay support if it doesn't work.

Hopefully by then the trainer that removes the HUD will either have a non-pay option or someone else will make a HUD-free solution

Nope. I went and checked out a crack option and it got the game running in German but with no voice acting and it also appears my save was nuked by the original uPlay fuck up. I said fuck it and un-installed, re-doing the Steam pre-load and on Tues I'll deal with uplay support if it doesn't work.

Hopefully by then the trainer that removes the HUD will either have a non-pay option or someone else will make a HUD-free solution

That's cray. What happened? I had to re-VPN my game once as steam decided to go back online, but other than that it's been smooth sailing.

That's cray. What happened? I had to re-VPN my game once as steam decided to go back online, but other than that it's been smooth sailing.

No idea mang, my steam had been offline the entire time and i had put uPlay in offline mode like 30 minutes into playing the game since all menu shit seemed tied up to it and it made loading a lot faster. Played a lot, in a bunch of different sessions then the other day went to continue the game as usual and the game just hanged while loading the save, quit and tried again same thing. Closed and re-started uPlay and instead of Play it said go to game which prompted me to put uPlay back in online mode and then asked for my key. Got it off steam, pasted it and it was a no go, already in use by another account.

No idea mang, my steam had been offline the entire time and i had put uPlay in offline mode like 30 minutes into playing the game since all menu shit seemed tied up to it and it made loading a lot faster. Played a lot, in a bunch of different sessions then the other day went to continue the game as usual and the game just hanged while loading the save, quit and tried again same thing. Closed and re-started uPlay and instead of Play it said go to game which prompted me to put uPlay back in online mode and then asked for my key. Got it off steam, pasted it and it was a no go, already in use by another account.

Shitty. I highly doubt you'll run into issues at least starting the game once it is released in the states.

How far along did you get?

Just beat it. Things got exponentially better as the game went on. The gameplay is ridiculously smooth, and I loved sneaking around in bushes doing hit and run strikes on outposts and roaming vehicles. I actually ended up liking the story more than I thought I would, too. There's nothing new or super creative going on, but they at least try to make it a little more than your typical power fantasy. I wouldn't say it's my GOTY, but it's totally up there on my list of this year's games. All in all it took me about fifteen hours. I can't believe there's still quests and stuff for me to do (I skipped most of the side quests aside from the hunting stuff for upgrades I wanted) along with co op, multiplayer, and the map creator. Such a massive game. I guess I've gotten used to playing a game for eight hours and being done with it. Anyways, I'm glad I unlocked this Friday. Great way to spend a weekend. Anyone try the co-op or the multiplayer yet?

I think that the devs did a good job of making it feel "right" that you are hiding in a bush and not seen. There is enough leeway that you go searching for bushes to hide in, but it's not the OP overlord of the game in the sense that if they(the enemy A.I.) know where a shot came from and search in that area, you won't be found. If they get close enough they start kicking into the bush and will discover you if you don't move. It's a great gameplay concession that they did right.

Is the throw automatic and lethal? If so the skill is godly, will unlock it today. The enemies are frequently close together.

It's not automatic in the sense that if you kill one you automagically get the other. There is a button prompt. Which is nice as you won't always want to throw a knife at another enemy.

Sometimes you'll want to pull the grenade pin from their pocket and then kick them at the other enemy.

Or, pull their pistol and shoot the other guy.

Or just assassinate them quietly and set up and ambush for the other enemy, via land mines, or C4, etc.

Tangent is over.

Knife Throw Takedown

It's a cool skill, but will there even be lots of situations to use it?

I guess I should touch on this a tad bit.

Knife throw coupled with chain assassination is nasty. If there are 3 or more enemies you can chain assassinate until the last one and then finish them off with the knife, depending how far away they are. It's surprisingly effective in a CQC situation.

I guess I should touch on this a tad bit.

Knife throw coupled with chain assassination is nasty. If there are 3 or more enemies you can chain assassinate until the last one and then finish them off with the knife, depending how far away they are. It's surprisingly effective in a CQC situation.

I don't think I've seen more than 3 enemies walking together for that to work, but I'd love to try it.

Naeblish

I like the game, but i really wish they had put more focus on the exploration part. Right now it's way too statistical, find x out of 120 relics... that's not fun (unless your an completionist). If i see some weird tower in Skyrim, i want to go there and explore it. When i see a cave in FC3 and there are no treasure icons around it, i have no desire to explore it.
They created this beautiful island(s) to explore, but exploring it doesn't feel rewarding at all, you just follow the icons on your map. There should be lots of awesome locations where you have no idea who/what you are gonna find.

You know, Ubisoft are about 15 bullet points short of making my favourite game of all time here:

• Remove the minimap, bring back the Far Cry 2 in-game map, and take loot off it.
  • Replace loot with the diamonds (and diamond locator) from FC2, and fix the economy so you need to find all of them to buy all the weapons; this also ensures you have to make harder choices about what to buy when.
  • Cut the number of collectibles drastically and remove them from the map (unless you pay through the nose to have them revealed), but make each more worthwhile and better hidden.
  • Remove enemy silhouettes completely; keep tagging (icons only), but only with the camera.
  • Reduce ammo drastically: I should be levelling up from 1 to 5 grenades and molotovs, not from 2 to 12, and I should have to scavenge from dead guys sometimes. Again, think FC2.
  • Bring back weapon jamming, but make it reasonable: only scavenged weapons jam, and they should be obviously rusted (as in FC2).
  • Don't clear areas entirely of enemies after capturing outposts; there should still be stragglers and patrols to deal with, to keep me on my toes.
  • On that note, make patrolling vehicles an actual threat again. More turrets, please.
  • Don't lock me out of skills artificially, and make choices between skills harder by not allowing me to eventually get all the skills, causing me to care less about them.
  • Let me turn off XP pop-ups: they break immersion, and ensure I always know when I've killed someone, instead of having to use my (in-game) senses.
  • Let me turn off fast travel, so I'm never again tempted.
  • Reduce HUD spam. Don't remind me of my story objective every two seconds. Tone down the number of waypoints and area locators and handholding while you're at it.
  • Fix the day/night cycle, and let me rest to change it to my liking.
  • On that note, the save system for FC2 was both more flexible and more predictable.
  • Generally make the island as nasty and inhospitable as FC2's unnamed African nation was.
  • Give me more fitting music for what I'm doing, and don't be afraid to use silence when I'm exploring. FC2 was, again, better in this regard.

There are probably other things I'm forgetting, but this would be a start. Maybe just include it as 'Insanity Mode' for FC4.

Reading back over this, it's basically "make it more like FC2". :(

SJRB

Gold Member
Reading back over this, it's basically "make it more like FC2". :(

I'm sure someone at Ubi is reading this and scratching his head saying "they don't even know what the fuck they want".

Like I said above, if you want a game more like Far Cry 2 but not a shooter, Miasmata is your best bet.

I saw the quicklook, I was very interested up until the point where it was revealed a monster is chasing you and can turn up at any time.

I'm sure someone at Ubi is reading this and scratching his head saying "they don't even know what the fuck they want".
Far Cry 2 was one of my favourite games of this generation. The sequel is causing me cognitive dissonance, because so much of it is awesome, but there is an inexplicable greasy coating of handholding, collecting, and grinding that makes the delicious core harder to get at.

Not too worried about starting over, gives me a chance to tackle the outposts again in fun new ways.

Ya know what's funny? I decide to hold off on doing as many outposts as possible, which in my second playthrough i think I've done about 5 total, for the sole reason of I want all of the late game skills to use to beat them in different ways. Seriously, the outposts are the best part of the entire game. Each one is a puzzle if you want to do it stealthily, and there are a bunch of skills that you don't get unless you do the main storyline, so I've decide to save the OP for when I beat the storyline.

FC3 is about as much fun as you want it to be. It's real easy to just cheese your way past a lot of things, but it's absurdly more rewarding to experiment and try things you hadn't though of. Has anyone else set up c4 on a truck on top of a mountain overlooking an outpost? It's extremely satisfying to jump out at part second to have the guards go WTF!?! on said truck, to blow it up, and then wingsuit into the camp and take the stragglers out 1 by 1.

Ya know what's funny? I decide to hold off on doing as many outposts as possible, which in my second playthrough i think I've done about 5 total, for the sole reason of I want all of the late game skills to use to beat them in different ways. Seriously, the outposts are the best part of the entire game. Each one is a puzzle if you want to do it stealthily, and there are a bunch of skills that you don't get unless you do the main storyline, so I've decide to save the OP for when I beat the storyline.

FC3 is about as much fun as you want it to be. It's real easy to just cheese your way past a lot of things, but it's absurdly more rewarding to experiment and try things you hadn't though of. Has anyone else set up c4 on a truck on top of a mountain overlooking an outpost? It's extremely satisfying to jump out at part second to have the guards go WTF!?! on said truck, to blow it up, and then wingsuit into the camp and take the stragglers out 1 by 1.

My life won't be complete until I jump out of a C4-ed jeep and detonate it right to annihilate everyone in my vicinity.

Has anyone tried jumping over a car?
ibfSmjEv37VP3f.gif

Top Bottom