• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

hollams

Gold Member
Sweet! Thank you!

Do not restart Steam in the online mode until Tuesday. I made that mistake because I wanted to download another game and I didn't even start Far Cry 3 and it was back in pre-load status. Hopefully my key will work once Tuesday comes around.

I coasted by on the Ringo fight since I had grenades, molotovs, a grenade launcher and a rocket launcher equipped from an earlier hunt.

With that said, I was saving Oliver, sniped everyone...then this idiot is running towards the boat and shoots the barrel right in front of him >.> I admit my GF and I were laughing our ass off for a good minute or so, but it was definitely a wtf moment.

Megasoum

Banned
Just finished the Test Chamber DLC....ugh.. Just like the Lost Expedition, kinda crappy missions. Super generic and no rewards at the end.

Do not restart Steam in the online mode until Tuesday. I made that mistake because I wanted to download another game and I didn't even start Far Cry 3 and it was back in pre-load status. Hopefully my key will work once Tuesday comes around.

Well, my game won't even start. It crashes back to the desktop during the initial loading screen, which seems to be a common problem.

: / I tried seeing if I could take those as some easter egg, but I never saw a button prompt. Does it have to be done at a specific time?

I've taken it twice, each time after rescuing the stoner dude (forget his name) and Keith. But yea there seems to be some back story shown by taking those pills

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm going to kill Miguel the poker player. You arsehole, wanker, tosser, crumper, berk, Arsenal supporting git

I'M GONNA KNIFE YOU

Not sure what people are talking about.
I love Farcry 3 but the stealth is not good.
Throwing rocks to distract stupid AI is not fun.
If you're looking for good stealth, play Dishonored or Mark of the Ninja.

Spent a couple hours with the 360 version tonight. A few things:

- HUD is a bit annoying at times, and can't be toggled on/off.

- No way to unequip/lower your weapon for stealthiness?

- Vehicles feel a tad floaty at times.

- The little jokes in the item, creature, and weapon descriptions are cute and got a chuckle out of me.

- Hang gliding is fun.

- The bow is fun to hunt with. And on that note, tracking down specific animals for specific crafting items looks to be somewhat of a challenge in the long run.

- again the HUD is annoying. Glowing enemies, arrows pointing you everywhere. Completely fucks with the immersion.

Nekrono

So what's the use of fire arrows? They don't one shot people nor do they set them on fire and shooting them in grass or bushes doesn't start a fire either.

maomaoIYP

Cleared everything on the 1st island last night. The 2nd island is such a step up on difficulty (playing on survivor). This game is way too good. Love stalking groups of enemies then figuring out the most effective way to killing all of them as quick as possible.

Flamethrower and bow are simply the best.

Wtf, how many retailers broke street date?! At least I can preload it on steam...

imHnJsd2cpiD1.gif

Nekrono

Man what a bummer if fire arrows are either bugged or weak, I found the idea and potential uses really awesome, plus the variation between normal, fire and explosive arrows.

Fire arrows are honestly pointless, a missed opportunity. They don't light grass/trees/huts on fire or anything.
Just tried them and they're weak. I've read there's explosive arrows - is it true?

Explosive arrows are just awesome, makes short work of heavies.

WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB DROP............. WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB!

Not sure what people are talking about.
I love Farcry 3 but the stealth is not good.
Throwing rocks to distract stupid AI is not fun.
If you're looking for good stealth, play Dishonored or Mark of the Ninja.

I think I've used the whole stone throwing mechanic all of twice.

Hiding in shrubs and shooting people with arrows and sneaking away when someone runs to your vicinity only to get stabbed with a knife is much more satisfying.

I asked this in the last page and nobody answered. So answer you fucks.

Digital Deluxe Edition
The Deluxe Edition includes:

-The Monkey Business Pack: Meet Hurk and his explosive bomb-carrying monkey in four heart-pounding missions and get two bonus ways to humiliate your friends in multiplayer.
-The Lost Expeditions: Discover the secrets of the island’s lost World War II ruins in two suspenseful action missions, and unlock the power of a shotgun in a one-handed flare gun in multiplayer.
-The Warrior Pack: Strike fear in your enemies with an exclusive dagger and get an early unlock of the tattoo editor in multiplayer.
-The Predator Pack: Hunt four ferocious animals with the M-700 Predator Rifle in single-player and silently kill opponents with the unlocked Predator Bow in multiplayer.
-The Survival Guide artbook (pdf file): Discover unique artwork and insider information to help you survive the insanity of the island.
-The game soundtrack

Looks like a lot, but it might become cheaper later as DLC.

Megasoum

Banned
I asked this in the last page and nobody answered. So answer you fucks.

Well I was about to answer but forget it...

lol

So far I'm not sure. I'm not regretting paying the extra 10$ cause I love the game so much in general. I've done the Lost Expedition and Test Chambers DLC and really wasn't impressed. It's just generic missions (with a bit more scripting than your generic outpost). No special rewards which is very dissapointing.

I did the first Monkey mission. It was a straight up outpost but in a ruin instead and you had to grab an item in the middle of the map. Nothing fancy or special again.

The "exclusive dagger" is useless...it's just a different model/skin for the default weapon. It looks allright but doesn't change anything.

You also get the M-700 predator rifle but by the time I found out I had to input the code manually ingame to get the bonuses I had already bought the M700 so I didn't care for the "Predator" version. No idea what they're talking about with the "Hunt faur ferocious animals"... Not sure if those are juste 4 extra hunter sidequests or if they actually show up with a special icon somewhere... Haven't seen anything special.

You also get the Survival Guide (I clicked trough it quickly and looked kinda useless) and the soundtrack.

By the way, is anyone using the cover system? If you crouch near a cover, you'll automatically ''snap'' on it which gives you the option to blind fire or peak out to shoot up or on the sides. Sucks that they didn't explain it in the tutorials.

Beaulieu

Spoiler about the Australian character:
I was wondering why Jason said "Buck likes to fuck" (reference to Kill Bill) when he met Buck. Now I get it... it's because it's implied that Buck's been raping Keith. When Buck comes downstairs, he's makes a gesture to his crotch, and when Keith rejoins the rest of the crew, he asks you not to "tell anyone about this."

... can I call you sherlock ?

not much implied about this seriously... its clear as fuck

So like
I liked the file/dossiers better when I thought it was the main character talking in 3rd person as a nutcase, after realizing it's the man in white...not so cool anymore.

Also when do I get to start making and taking drugs recreationally?! D:

hwy_61

Banned
Digital Deluxe Edition
The Deluxe Edition includes:

-The Monkey Business Pack: Meet Hurk and his explosive bomb-carrying monkey in four heart-pounding missions and get two bonus ways to humiliate your friends in multiplayer.
-The Lost Expeditions: Discover the secrets of the island’s lost World War II ruins in two suspenseful action missions, and unlock the power of a shotgun in a one-handed flare gun in multiplayer.
-The Warrior Pack: Strike fear in your enemies with an exclusive dagger and get an early unlock of the tattoo editor in multiplayer.
-The Predator Pack: Hunt four ferocious animals with the M-700 Predator Rifle in single-player and silently kill opponents with the unlocked Predator Bow in multiplayer.
-The Survival Guide artbook (pdf file): Discover unique artwork and insider information to help you survive the insanity of the island.
-The game soundtrack

Looks like a lot, but it might become cheaper later as DLC.

In addition to all this, you also get Far Cry 1. Well, on Steam anyway.

FC3 has the same lean system that Dishonored has.

Really? How/what do you use it? I've yet to see it in action. Do you mean the cover mechanic where you pull your weapon to your chest and then can aim down sight to look around a corner? That's not the same, unless I'm missing something.

MISSION FAILED
Rongo was killed

MISSION FAILED
Rongo was killed

MISSION FAILED
Rongo was killed

MISSION FAILED
Rongo was killed

MISSION FAILED
Rongo was killed

MISSION FAILED
Rongo was killed

GO FUCK YOURSELF RONGO YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER!

RamBOW it

iZqKtnLaDrCdJ.gif

ik84PiQxgfbb5.gif

Zeliard

The first-person cover system in FC3 is straight out of Call of Juarez 2, and it works beautifully. I've always been a fan of that cover system. It's pretty elegant.

Anyone else catch the little Simpsons nod to "Bobo" when picking up the tattered teddy bear? I found it really early in the game. Had to smile. Loving the little nods to stuff all over this game.

Zeliard

One thing that isn't getting nearly enough talk 'round these parts is the sprint burst syringe. Ho-ly shit.

The first time I used one of those things I was amazed. It's easily my favorite way to get around on ground. Also hilarious to use while misdirecting enemies.

Quick question:

Loot items labled "Recommended Use: Sell", that means it's useless except for making a few bucks, correct? I don't want to sell it and then find out somewhere down the line that I'll need it for crafting or some fetch quests.

EDIT: Thank you Megasoum and earvcunanan for answering below.

EDIT2: Silly me, should have tried it myself before asking. When you hit "Quick Sell" it will sell all unusable loot, all crafting loot will be kept.

Megasoum

Banned
Quick question:

Loot items labled "Recommended Use: Sell", that means it's useless except for making a few bucks, correct? I don't want to sell it and then find out somewhere down the line that I'll need it for crafting or some fetch quests.

Just use the Quick Sell button when in store... It will take care of all the trash.

Anyway, to sum it up, keep your leather and herbs, everything else can be sold.

Top Bottom