• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Ledsen

yeah, i'm glad you don't make that call, a lot of the game play options you're asking for would ,make his game unfun for anyone who didn't like FC2.

I don't see anything in his list that would bring back something people disliked about FC2. People complained about the respawning checkpoints and the robot-like accuracy of the enemies, not the sparse HUD or lack of handholding. These changes would make the game more immersive and less like a gigantic Disneyland ride, which could only be a good thing. Dare I say "hardcore"? The game as it is now is only a couple of steps away from catering to the CoD crowd.

I love the game, especially the soundtrack but I wish loot was more important. There is little to no incentive to get any of the loot "caches". Like it would be cool if you could find weapons in the loot boxes or other usable things that couldn't be found anywhere else. Then again it is a straight up FPS so I can't complain too much.

mujun

I've played a bunch of this now and while I love it, is it just me or is the shooting sort of crappy? I don't think it's the feel so much as it is the accuracy of the weapons and the fact it's quite hard to line the enemies up and they take quite a few bullets.

You sir, are wrong. His changes would make it GOTF. I would play it for hundreds of hours. Also, I don't see anything in his list that people disliked about FC2. People complained about the respawning checkpoints and the robot-like accuracy of the enemies. These changes would make the game moresurvival-oriented and less like a gigantic Disneyland ride, which could only be a good thing. Dare I say "hardcore"? The game as it is now is only a couple of steps away from catering to the CoD crowd.

"Generally make the island as nasty and inhospitable as FC2's unnamed African nation was."
no thanks.

You thought Syndicates campaign mode was GREAT, so your opinion on anything is moot as far as i'm concerned.

Ledsen

"Generally make the island as nasty and inhospitable as FC2's unnamed African nation was."
no thanks.

You thought Syndicates campaign mode was GREAT, so your opinion on anything is moot as far as i'm concerned.

Resorting to ad hominem when you don't have any arguments or anything intelligent to say. Great. Welcome to my ignore list.

Mikeside

no thanks.

Was it your intention for that to make you sound like an asshole?

Double D

So no place to get it on PC any cheaper than $49.99 (US)? If not I'll just bite the bullet. I've got some Visa gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and this looks too good to pass up.

This is my game of the year. Just had my first tiger surprise encounter. was nicely stealthing an outpost, 1 man to go, when a tiger out of nowhere attacks me and wipes me out.

Is it wrong that i just want to sneak around to every radar post? Completely ignoring the main mission and unlocking all the radar outposts first.

Crafting is a genius way to sidetrack someone. My next task is to kill 2 sharks :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So do they have underground areas along the lines of the templar lairs in Assassin's Creed in this game? Sort of puzzle-exploration-based ruins?

squared

Heh, I just found out there's a voucher for GMG that gives you 30% off, resulting in FC3 costing $35.. Now I might get this (even though I just bought like 10 games on the Steam sale..) Oh well.

TheJerit

So no place to get it on PC any cheaper than $49.99 (US)? If not I'll just bite the bullet. I've got some Visa gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and this looks too good to pass up.

For the U.S. and for digital? Not really. I just bit the bullet on Friday and purchased the deluxe from Steam. I took a trip to Australia and the game has been a blast.

I only played multiplayer/co-op last night and was pleasantly surprised at the fun I was having. Now come on heavy rotation of custom, fun maps.

meta4

Can someone tell me if the rescue part that was described by someone-
rescuing your friends successfully
is a spoiler and the ending of the game? It's really irritating if that is the case. People should be careful about spoilers.

ElyrionX

The main story missions are such a fucking chore. I'm almost at the second island and a lot of the missions to get there are just not fun at all. The story is also extremely cheesey at times.

Badgerst3

The lost expeditions pre-order DLC kind of serves in that its linear and has some exploration, but its all very basic stuff.

Would consider buying if reward is worthwhile. Is it?

I like the skyrim loot suggestion- make the treasure unknown (not on minimap) and worthwhile.

Maybe an enhanced weapon attachment or cool outit?

ElyrionX

You know, Ubisoft are about 15 bullet points short of making my favourite game of all time here:

• Remove the minimap, bring back the Far Cry 2 in-game map, and take loot off it.
  • Replace loot with the diamonds (and diamond locator) from FC2, and fix the economy so you need to find all of them to buy all the weapons; this also ensures you have to make harder choices about what to buy when.
  • Cut the number of collectibles drastically and remove them from the map (unless you pay through the nose to have them revealed), but make each more worthwhile and better hidden.
  • Remove enemy silhouettes completely; keep tagging (icons only), but only with the camera.
  • Reduce ammo drastically: I should be levelling up from 1 to 5 grenades and molotovs, not from 2 to 12, and I should have to scavenge from dead guys sometimes. Again, think FC2.
  • Bring back weapon jamming, but make it reasonable: only scavenged weapons jam, and they should be obviously rusted (as in FC2).
  • Don't clear areas entirely of enemies after capturing outposts; there should still be stragglers and patrols to deal with, to keep me on my toes.
  • On that note, make patrolling vehicles an actual threat again. More turrets, please.
  • Don't lock me out of skills artificially, and make choices between skills harder by not allowing me to eventually get all the skills, causing me to care less about them.
  • Let me turn off XP pop-ups: they break immersion, and ensure I always know when I've killed someone, instead of having to use my (in-game) senses.
  • Let me turn off fast travel, so I'm never again tempted.
  • Reduce HUD spam. Don't remind me of my story objective every two seconds. Tone down the number of waypoints and area locators and handholding while you're at it.
  • Fix the day/night cycle, and let me rest to change it to my liking.
  • On that note, the save system for FC2 was both more flexible and more predictable.
  • Generally make the island as nasty and inhospitable as FC2's unnamed African nation was.
  • Give me more fitting music for what I'm doing, and don't be afraid to use silence when I'm exploring. FC2 was, again, better in this regard.

There are probably other things I'm forgetting, but this would be a start. Maybe just include it as 'Insanity Mode' for FC4.

Reading back over this, it's basically "make it more like FC2". :(

No thanks. If you want Far Cry 2, go play Far Cry 2.

The economy is fine as it is. And the game would be a giant pain in the ass to play through without fast travel.

Dabanton

I did like the conversation that Jason has with Daisy
about killing feeling wrong at first but slowly it feels like winning

Also like the nightclub flashbacks filling in the background a bit.

I also have to give it to Ubi character artists. The eyes on the main NPC's are amazing. I was talking to Liza and her eyes were amazing.

Ledsen

The economy is fine as it is. And the game would be a giant pain in the ass to play through without fast travel.

He did say to make it an option. That said, games designed for fast travel always suck ass if you simply disable it. See: Bethesda games. The game world has to be designed and scaled from the beginning to be comfortably traversable on foot.

Dabanton

I don't use fast travel myself but it does need the option in. I like to spend hours just wandering around and making my own way to missons. By air,sea or road but some people would rather just get straight to each misson.

The fact this game is not like Far Cry 2 should be welcome. I don't see how anyone could treat some of the nonsense in that game as pleasant or somehow 'good' as it makes things more frustrating for the player.

The AI for instance in that game was broken. So I would avoid most firefight in this game I'm loving them as the enemies are playing fair.

No X Ray vison from miles out.

Ledsen

I don't use fast travel myself but it does need the option in. I like to spend hours just wandering around and making my own way to missons. By air,sea or road but some people would rather just get straight to each misson.

The fact this game is not like Far Cry 2 should be welcome. I don't see how anyone could treat some of the nonsense in that game as pleasant or somehow 'good' as it makes things more frustrating for the player.

The AI for instance in that game was broken. So I would avoid most firefight in this game I'm loving them as the enemies are playing fair.

No X Ray vison from miles out.

No one thinks those things were good in Far Cry 2. When people say stuff like "I don't know how anyone could like Far Cry 2" they always focus on its failures and fail to recognize the many things it did right. Those of us who liked it focused on the good parts, and tolerated/didn't mind the bad parts, even though we recognize them as bad.

I did like the conversation that Jason has with Daisy
about killing feeling wrong at first but slowly it feels like winning

Also like the nightclub flashbacks filling in the background a bit.

I also have to give it to Ubi character artists. The eyes on the main NPC's are amazing. I was talking to Liza and her eyes were amazing.
Liza seems to be a favorite among many who have played this game, i have no idea why, but then again, I don't know which chica is supposed to be Liza!

Riposte

Fast travel could be balanced in the way of only being able to warp from a safe house or maybe while in a car (which is on the road).

Fast travel could be balanced in the way of only being able to warp from a safe house or maybe while in a car (which is on the road).

Funny enough the game is so fun just running off exploring. I have litreally forgot about fast travel as I hoofed my way across the map. Only later realizing it. LOL

No one thinks those things were good in Far Cry 2. When people say stuff like "I don't know how anyone could like Far Cry 2" they always focus on its failures and fail to recognize the many things it did right. Those of us who liked it focused on the good parts, and tolerated/didn't mind the bad parts, even though we recognize them as bad.

That is because Far Cry 2 didn't do many things right.

I know you really like that game, but I just can't wrap my head around why.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Fast travel doesn't need to be balanced at all. If you have a problem with it ffs don't use it. I don't know why people with no self-control want to ruin a feature of the game that other people enjoy.

Double D

Heh, I just found out there's a voucher for GMG that gives you 30% off, resulting in FC3 costing $35.. Now I might get this (even though I just bought like 10 games on the Steam sale..) Oh well.

Anyone in the US been able to get this deal? I can make it to the Far Cry 3 page by searching thru google, but there is no option to purchase it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Can someone tell me if the rescue part that was described by someone-
rescuing your friends successfully
is a spoiler and the ending of the game? It's really irritating if that is the case. People should be careful about spoilers.

Yes and no. I cannot answer this properly without spoiling it. There's more to it than you are describing though.

any chance you're able to slide in this a la FC2/Crysis 2?

Yes, in fact it is one of the first perks you unlock, if not THE first. It's as satisfying as ever.

Top Bottom