• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Milamber

Yep, I just hit the hood or the windshield. Never over it. Didn't check to see whether there is a skill later on that upgrades your jump.

eiskaltnz

I think this isn't favorite game of the year but also my most disappointing.
I am enjoying it the most out of any game this year. Hunting is brilliant, exploring is awesome and talking down outposts is great. I just miss so many of the little things (especially stuff like the map and the guns jamming) from Far Cry 2. I don't like feeling like this super human who can do anything.

On a side note the fact their are so many NZ Maori voice actors for the natives is awesome but really weird for me. It feels like they warriors who take the outposts could come from down the street... It is just weird.

I think this isn't favorite game of the year but also my most disappointing.
I am enjoying it the most out of any game this year. Hunting is brilliant, exploring is awesome and talking down outposts is great. I just miss so many of the little things (especially stuff like the map and the guns jamming) from Far Cry 2. I don't like feeling like this super human who can do anything.

On a side note the fact their are so many NZ Maori voice actors for the natives is awesome but really weird for me. It feels like they warriors who take the outposts could come from down the street... It is just weird.

The mouth from the south.

I like the kiwi voices. It works IMO.

I don't necessarily miss the gun jamming, not that I would be against it honestly, but I do which we had the map mechanic from FC2.

It works for me, I've met a kiwi mercenary in real life. He wasn't maori, but still.

Ledsen

You can rescue your friends? Man, I'm like 7 hours in and haven't done "Playing the spoiler" yet.

You know, Ubisoft are about 15 bullet points short of making my favourite game of all time here:

• Remove the minimap, bring back the Far Cry 2 in-game map, and take loot off it.
  • Replace loot with the diamonds (and diamond locator) from FC2, and fix the economy so you need to find all of them to buy all the weapons; this also ensures you have to make harder choices about what to buy when.
  • Cut the number of collectibles drastically and remove them from the map (unless you pay through the nose to have them revealed), but make each more worthwhile and better hidden.
  • Remove enemy silhouettes completely; keep tagging (icons only), but only with the camera.
  • Reduce ammo drastically: I should be levelling up from 1 to 5 grenades and molotovs, not from 2 to 12, and I should have to scavenge from dead guys sometimes. Again, think FC2.
  • Bring back weapon jamming, but make it reasonable: only scavenged weapons jam, and they should be obviously rusted (as in FC2).
  • Don't clear areas entirely of enemies after capturing outposts; there should still be stragglers and patrols to deal with, to keep me on my toes.
  • On that note, make patrolling vehicles an actual threat again. More turrets, please.
  • Don't lock me out of skills artificially, and make choices between skills harder by not allowing me to eventually get all the skills, causing me to care less about them.
  • Let me turn off XP pop-ups: they break immersion, and ensure I always know when I've killed someone, instead of having to use my (in-game) senses.
  • Let me turn off fast travel, so I'm never again tempted.
  • Reduce HUD spam. Don't remind me of my story objective every two seconds. Tone down the number of waypoints and area locators and handholding while you're at it.
  • Fix the day/night cycle, and let me rest to change it to my liking.
  • On that note, the save system for FC2 was both more flexible and more predictable.
  • Generally make the island as nasty and inhospitable as FC2's unnamed African nation was.
  • Give me more fitting music for what I'm doing, and don't be afraid to use silence when I'm exploring. FC2 was, again, better in this regard.

There are probably other things I'm forgetting, but this would be a start. Maybe just include it as 'Insanity Mode' for FC4.

Reading back over this, it's basically "make it more like FC2". :(

I agree with every single point. Simply perfect. Far Cry 4 pls. I really like FC3 so far but these changes would make it GOTF.

Far Cry 2 was one of my favourite games of this generation. The sequel is causing me cognitive dissonance, because so much of it is awesome, but there is an inexplicable greasy coating of handholding, collecting, and grinding that makes the delicious core harder to get at.

Yes. This is exactly how I feel. Are you my long lost twin brother?

You can rescue your friends? Man, I'm like 7 hours in and haven't done "Playing the spoiler" yet.

I thought it was well known that the premise of the story was rescuing your friends.

Also, I want to get to the second island already so I can get the .50 cal sniper. And I thought the Bull was free? It's like $3k.

Ledsen

I thought it was well known that the premise of the story was rescuing your friends.

Also, I want to get to the second island already so I can get the .50 cal sniper. And I thought the Bull was free? It's like $3k.

Well I know that's my main goal. I didn't know I would actually succeed :lol:

The other day i posted that Dishonored was a little master piece. Then it was my GOTY. But i am just playing FC3 and i have to say: this is a GIANT MASTER PIECE. GOTY without a doubt. Well done Ubisoft!.

spekkeh

Banned
So does anybody like all the 'challenges' Ubisoft put in there with leaderboards and everything?

I just look at them and go 'eh.. not going to be bothered'. It's actually a bit jarring or immersion killing, especially considering that actually dicking around very quickly leads to you blowing up / falling to death. But then much of the immersion is killed already by the HUD, so again, not too bothered. Just wondered if it did cater to people's interest.

Jburton

Banned
At the point where I rescued the first dude after the two girls and I have to say ..... game is awesome.

Totally addictive in the good sense of I want to see what happens next.

Running well on my PC at 1080p @ 60fps with everything on high / very high with vsync .......... still have to look into enabling AA that does not bring my FPS down to 50 fps.

At the point where I rescued the first dude after the two girls and I have to say ..... game is awesome.

Totally addictive in the good sense of I want to see what happens next.

Running well on my PC at 1089p @ 60fps with everything on high / very high with vsync .......... still have to look into enabling AA that does not bring my FPS down to 50 fps.

Have you tried using the SMAA injector? Little to no performance hit.

...have you found Oliver yet?

On my second playthrough. So yes. I'm by no means excusing these characters for being dicks, because they plainly are, but they are no worse than any other FPS on the market.
These people are typical Saturday night B&T cunts and douchebags, not that characters or story matter here at all.

Exactly. Story is second seat to what you(we) as a player decide to make it. Story isn't great, it's mediocre with flashes of good at best, but this game is all about the random things and crazy circumstances you can and will find yourself in.

Dabanton

Get over it. So you want to kill a bunch of people that are on vacation and having a good time?

Yeah what the fuck is up with some of the comments about the protag and his friends? I think they're ok. So far I've only rescued two of them but they have been cool and the interaction and dialogue helps sell to me that they are friends and they're in a crazy situation.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
ibfSmjEv37VP3f.gif
That's not possible lol. I got crushed many times in co-op doing the exact same thing.

Oh and btw, online co-op is amazing fun.

Yeah what the fuck is up with some of the comments about the protag and his friends? I think they're ok. So far I've only rescued two of them but they have been cool and the interaction and dialogue helps sell to me that they are friends and they're in a crazy situation.

Don't got a problem with them, but I really don't like Jason. Ubisoft made this pansy ass guy get hurt off of 2-foot falls, and gets knocked on his ass easily. Needs to man up and unleash his inner tatau, tbqh.

Don't got a problem with them, but I really don't like Jason. Ubisoft made this pansy ass guy get hurt off of 2-foot falls, and gets knocked on his ass easily. Needs to man up and unleash his inner tatau, tbqh.

So nothing to do with the character but the design choices?

Ledsen

So does anybody like all the 'challenges' Ubisoft put in there with leaderboards and everything?

I just look at them and go 'eh.. not going to be bothered'. It's actually a bit jarring or immersion killing, especially considering that actually dicking around very quickly leads to you blowing up / falling to death. But then much of the immersion is killed already by the HUD, so again, not too bothered. Just wondered if it did cater to people's interest.

I haven't tried them, don't plan to. There's enough immersion-ruining stuff in there already.

Nome

The writers try really hard to create a dissonance between your friends, who are sheltered So-Cal socialites, and the "hard" locals. It's supposed to make the player feel like he's in a foreign place and very vulnerable, and feel the urgency of getting off the dangerous island, but... (second island spoilers ahead)
it's also supposed to show both the player and Jason how extremely disconnected they are from the real world, which eventually leads him to decide to stay rather than escape.

My issue with this is that they didn't have to make those characters so extremely STUPID AND ANNOYING to pull this off. It would've had a much bigger impact if (spoilers again)
you felt an emotional connection to the characters before having to say goodbye.

Note: I haven't finished the game yet, just got to second island. Taking my time.

The writers try really hard to create a dissonance between your friends, who are sheltered So-Cal socialites, and the "hard" locals. It's supposed to make the player feel like he's in a foreign place and very vulnerable, and feel the urgency of getting off the dangerous island, but... (second island spoilers ahead)
it's also supposed to show both the player and Jason how extremely disconnected they are from the real world, which eventually leads him to decide to stay rather than escape.

My issue with this is that they didn't have to make those characters so extremely STUPID AND ANNOYING to pull this off. It would've had a much bigger impact if (spoilers again)
you felt an emotional connection to the characters before having to say goodbye.

Note: I haven't finished the game yet, just got to second island. Taking my time.

Regardless of if you felt an emotional connection to them, how are they "stupid and annoying?"

I won't say you beef with the story is invalid by any means, but it seems some of GAF act like its some of the worst, most trite bullshit ever put down on paper, when it's really not. It's just not good. It's serviceable, but not phenomenal. I've completed the game. I'm on my 2nd playthrough now, and I find the "story" to be better as I know the path and will choose a different ending than the first one through. Like I said earlier, I don't think that FC3 is a benchmark at all when it comes to weaving an epic yarn, but it's not horrible by any means.

Regardless of if you felt an emotional connection to them, how are they "stupid and annoying?"

I won't say you beef with the story is invalid by any means, but it seems some of GAF act like its some of the worst, most trite bullshit ever put down on paper, when it's really not. It's just not good. It's serviceable, but not phenomenal. I've completed the game. I'm on my 2nd playthrough now, and I find the "story" to be better as I know the path and will choose a different ending than the first one through. Like I said earlier, I don't think that FC3 is a benchmark at all when it comes to weaving an epic yarn, but it's not horrible by any means.

People are finding the personality type of the kidnapped friends to be completely unlikeable, which I would completely agree with if I gave a toss about narrative in this game.

Man, the knife throw skill makes the assasination quests soooooo much easier. Can't get close to the captain pirate you have to knife? Just take out someone within sight of the captain and then R1 a knife into his face. Awesome. Generally, all the takedown skills combined (chain takedowns, air takedowns, knife takedowns, grenade takedowns) make the game so much easier to play like a lunatic. Most of the time now when liberating outposts, I scout out all the guards, stealth in and then just start knifing people.

Beaulieu

Their happy, outgoing, non-socially awkward way of life is offensive.

hahah thats exactly the feeling I get when I read about all the people on here hating on them, or the giantbomb guys.

I dont get the hate, they are on vacation, drink alchool and have fun.. insta-douchebag ?

Milamber

hahah thats exactly the feeling I get when I read about all the people on here hating on them, or the giantbomb guys.

I dont get the hate, they are on vacation, drink alchool and have fun.. insta-douchebag ?

Thy're popping collars & wearing Jorts! Insta-douche!

You know, Ubisoft are about 15 bullet points short of making my favourite game of all time here:

• Remove the minimap, bring back the Far Cry 2 in-game map, and take loot off it.
  • Replace loot with the diamonds (and diamond locator) from FC2, and fix the economy so you need to find all of them to buy all the weapons; this also ensures you have to make harder choices about what to buy when.
  • Cut the number of collectibles drastically and remove them from the map (unless you pay through the nose to have them revealed), but make each more worthwhile and better hidden.
  • Remove enemy silhouettes completely; keep tagging (icons only), but only with the camera.
  • Reduce ammo drastically: I should be levelling up from 1 to 5 grenades and molotovs, not from 2 to 12, and I should have to scavenge from dead guys sometimes. Again, think FC2.
  • Bring back weapon jamming, but make it reasonable: only scavenged weapons jam, and they should be obviously rusted (as in FC2).
  • Don't clear areas entirely of enemies after capturing outposts; there should still be stragglers and patrols to deal with, to keep me on my toes.
  • On that note, make patrolling vehicles an actual threat again. More turrets, please.
  • Don't lock me out of skills artificially, and make choices between skills harder by not allowing me to eventually get all the skills, causing me to care less about them.
  • Let me turn off XP pop-ups: they break immersion, and ensure I always know when I've killed someone, instead of having to use my (in-game) senses.
  • Let me turn off fast travel, so I'm never again tempted.
  • Reduce HUD spam. Don't remind me of my story objective every two seconds. Tone down the number of waypoints and area locators and handholding while you're at it.
  • Fix the day/night cycle, and let me rest to change it to my liking.
  • On that note, the save system for FC2 was both more flexible and more predictable.
  • Generally make the island as nasty and inhospitable as FC2's unnamed African nation was.
  • Give me more fitting music for what I'm doing, and don't be afraid to use silence when I'm exploring. FC2 was, again, better in this regard.

There are probably other things I'm forgetting, but this would be a start. Maybe just include it as 'Insanity Mode' for FC4.

Reading back over this, it's basically "make it more like FC2". :(

yeah, i'm glad you don't make that call, a lot of the game play options you're asking for would ,make his game unfun for anyone who didn't like FC2.

all bs aside, the "jealousy" thing has merit, they're well-off having more fun than the average person, i don't see them as douche bags personally, i just can't relate to them for a myriad of reasons.

Top Bottom