• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Zeliard

Use the sprint boost syringe, launch yourself off a cliff, bust out the wing suit, and land on top of a Heavy's head.

This is your homework for tonight.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
For people playing this on consoles (particularly PS3) has framerate been a dealbreaker so far? After checking out the DF Face Off and seeing that it seems to run at 25fps most of the time does it feel bad in this game to you?
Finished the game on a PS3, it really isn't a dealbreaker. Chugging through the PC version now.

So in terms of open-ness, how does this compare to Far Cry 2? I loved a lot of the ideas in FC2, but the implementation could be rough. Is this game structured at all like it?

SJRB

Gold Member
I have to agree with sentiments from earlier in the thread by others that the game becomes a bit dull once areas are liberated.

I'm in the after-story endgame and during the story I liberated pretty much the entire western half of the first island. I was just cruising around and there is literally nothing happening. Sure there were Rakyat and civilians driving around everywhere, but there was almost no action. The only places you still encounter pirates are the locations where story missions took place, like the Medusa.

So just for the sake of keeping things interesting I just stopped liberating outposts. The game is infinitely more interesting and rewarding when there's the possibility of danger around every corner.

I think that, for the endgame at least, there should be dynamic outpost takeovers by the pirates. I know someone at Ubi is going to yell at his monitor when reading this, but yes.. outposts should be repopulated by pirates again. Not instantly, like in Far Cry 2. And not all at once. Just randomly an outpost falls to the pirates and you have to liberate it again. The game shouldn't inform you of this with a popup or something, but it should repaint the map segment red so there is a way to notice.

Infinite replayability. Because if honest, no matter how amazing this game is, it needs something like that to keep the juices flowing. Once all the outposts are secured this game is over.

gryz

Banned
sorry if this has been covered already, but steam says it's not available for 21 more hours. is it really not unlocking at midnight?

Spat_triate

If you don't like fast travel, don't use it. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

You have the power to play the game the way you want to. Why not do that instead of lobbying to REMOVE that option for other players?

/smh

I think he was lamenting the design process rather than the option itself. Games that allow the player to travel (practically) anywhere with a click of a button usually don't have many interesting incentives to encourage player exploration.

Zeliard

I have to agree with sentiments from earlier in the thread by others that the game becomes a bit dull once areas are liberated.

I'm in the after-story endgame and during the story I liberated pretty much the entire western half of the first island. I was just cruising around and there is literally nothing happening. Sure there were Rakyat and civilians driving around everywhere, but there was almost no action. The only places you still encounter pirates are the locations where story missions took place, like the Medusa.

So just for the sake of keeping things interesting I just stopped liberating outposts. The game is infinitely more interesting and rewarding when there's the possibility of danger around every corner.

I think that, for the endgame at least, there should be dynamic outpost takeovers by the pirates. I know someone at Ubi is going to yell at his monitor when reading this, but yes.. outposts should be repopulated by pirates again. Not instantly, like in Far Cry 2. And not all at once. Just randomly an outpost falls to the pirates and you have to liberate it again. The game shouldn't inform you of this with a popup or something, but it should repaint the map segment red so there is a way to notice.

Infinite replayability. Because if honest, no matter how amazing this game is, it needs something like that to keep the juices flowing. Once all the outposts are secured this game is over.

I agree. They went too far in the other direction in appeasing the people who complained endlessly about respawning enemies in FC2. Now you free an area and there's no more action in it, which is kind of not very exciting.

It's annoying that almost all of this game's downsides are things that FC2 managed to do well, or at least attempt. Had they kept some of those things and just built on them further, FC3 would have been magic. As it stands, it's still a good game, but there are some missed opportunities.

Riposte

If you don't like fast travel, don't use it. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

You have the power to play the game the way you want to. Why not do that instead of lobbying to REMOVE that option for other players?

/smh

Your poker comparison is ignorant, btw. Fast travel is used in the singleplayer game, it isn't part of competition ffs.

My poker comment was a non sequitur.

I'm was more commenting on how useless the things you find are. They only exist to be converted into a set amount of money, so what they say in their inventory slot doesn't really matter. However I guess they take up the same space as crafting materials, forcing you return to town/safe house and incentivizing expanding your loot bag.

Being able to cheat in a Poker "mini-game" would make the whole game feel more real and interconnected. I guess you could say the same thing for the pictures, drugs, poker chips, etc you find which you can't look at it or use for one thing or another.

Anyway, as a player why would I ignore an optimal tactic in fast travel? Of course I "like" fast travel, the game is designed to make me like it. With fast travel I essentially have a merchant at my finger tips at any moment (so, (with a few bucks) infinite ammo, new guns, etc any time I want). The idea of a dangerous area becomes moot if it falls within an area of your control. If you combine this with vehicles (and to a lesser extent, patrol vehicles not being very scary), everything in Far Cry 3 is in your backyard. If you think about it, you never truly leave the safe house behind. (Why does this game has a vehicle repair tool, again?)

Essentially, once you've captured the outpost (fun in itself) and the radio tower (alright, I guess), that portion of the map struggles to find a legitimate reason to exist (pointless grinding aside). In a more naturally designed game (and one with more relevant "survival" mechanics), you wouldn't exactly be begging for a reason in the first place. That area would exist as another set of risks and costs. Fast travel rips out the sense of place and distance from the atmosphere of an "old" area, and as I mentioned has a strong effect on how the game works. Not unlike a God-Mode would. It can be a useful tool and it can be implemented as a means of convenience to help with pacing, but there are better ways to implement it that allow you keep value and meaning with the things you interact with in the game's world. The lack of contextualization and limits on fast travel shows how little effort they made to follow up on Far Cry 2's remarkable immersive elements, despite still obviously trying to make a game like that.

Why should I care about other players who hold bad ideas for games again? I rather Far Cry 3 be a better game, than for more people to like it.

And I wonder again, is there any sort of unbalanced mechanics you wouldn't just answer to me "Just ignore it!". I'm not in the business of ignoring games while I play games. That is work for the modders. (That being said I do sometimes ignore hand-holding elements in other games, but this isn't done lightly and the game becomes worse for it. I've gone as far as measure this process, based on how messed up the thing I'm ignoring is and how hard it is to ignore it.)

EDIT: Despite my poker comment not being about fast travel, I will correct you on one thing. There is competition. Far Cry 3 is interesting and worth being immersed into because the feeling you get butting heads with game's design (the conflict between you and the pirates, animals, and other dangers of the jungle).

Linius

I agree. This makes the replay value for the single player much better. Now there's only hunting or collecting left after you're done with the game. And of course you can drive around the island and do crazy stuff, but it's not as much fun as before with enemies around.

You know, Ubisoft are about 15 bullet points short of making my favourite game of all time here:

• Remove the minimap, bring back the Far Cry 2 in-game map, and take loot off it.
  • Replace loot with the diamonds (and diamond locator) from FC2, and fix the economy so you need to find all of them to buy all the weapons; this also ensures you have to make harder choices about what to buy when.
  • Cut the number of collectibles drastically and remove them from the map (unless you pay through the nose to have them revealed), but make each more worthwhile and better hidden.
  • Remove enemy silhouettes completely; keep tagging (icons only), but only with the camera.
  • Reduce ammo drastically: I should be levelling up from 1 to 5 grenades and molotovs, not from 2 to 12, and I should have to scavenge from dead guys sometimes. Again, think FC2.
  • Bring back weapon jamming, but make it reasonable: only scavenged weapons jam, and they should be obviously rusted (as in FC2).
  • Don't clear areas entirely of enemies after capturing outposts; there should still be stragglers and patrols to deal with, to keep me on my toes.
  • On that note, make patrolling vehicles an actual threat again. More turrets, please.
  • Don't lock me out of skills artificially, and make choices between skills harder by not allowing me to eventually get all the skills, causing me to care less about them.
  • Let me turn off XP pop-ups: they break immersion, and ensure I always know when I've killed someone, instead of having to use my (in-game) senses.
  • Let me turn off fast travel, so I'm never again tempted.
  • Reduce HUD spam. Don't remind me of my story objective every two seconds. Tone down the number of waypoints and area locators and handholding while you're at it.
  • Fix the day/night cycle, and let me rest to change it to my liking.
  • On that note, the save system for FC2 was both more flexible and more predictable.
  • Generally make the island as nasty and inhospitable as FC2's unnamed African nation was.
  • Give me more fitting music for what I'm doing, and don't be afraid to use silence when I'm exploring. FC2 was, again, better in this regard.

There are probably other things I'm forgetting, but this would be a start. Maybe just include it as 'Insanity Mode' for FC4.

Reading back over this, it's basically "make it more like FC2". :(

I agree with pretty much all of this. What i've played of the game so far i've quite enjoyed, but some of it just seems like a big step back from what Far Cry 2 had. I'm not saying FC2 was a great game but it did have some mechanics i would of liked them to keep.

Being given free weapons and there being no weapon breaking/conditions in Far Cry 3 is silly, there isn't any point in buying any new weapons really as you will get them free at some point, which also means money is pointless except for buying ammo. Would of also been nice to see some more WW2 weapons.

Ledsen

I agree. They went too far in the other direction in appeasing the people who complained endlessly about respawning enemies in FC2. Now you free an area and there's no more action in it, which is kind of not very exciting.

It's annoying that almost all of this game's downsides are things that FC2 managed to do well, or at least attempt. Had they kept some of those things and just built on them further, FC3 would have been magic. As it stands, it's still a good game, but there are some missed opportunities.

Yep. They overcompensated like hell. Sadly, most people don't seem to agree. They hate FC2 with such a passion that they're blind to anything it did right, turning to incredulousness (how could anyone like that game???) or insults (your taste sucks!!!) when the subject is broached. There are examples even in the past couple of pages. Meanwhile many seem to be completely ok with Far Cry 3's faults, shrugging them off with a "whatever, I don't care that much" or "just don't do it if you don't like it". It's great to see some reasonable folks like TheVoidDragon, who recognize the errors made in FC2 without dismissing every single idea the game had because of them.

gryz

Banned
I agree with pretty much all of this. What i've played of the game so far i've quite enjoyed, but some of it just seems like a big step back from what Far Cry 2 had. I'm not saying FC2 was a great game but it did have some mechanics i would of liked them to keep.

Being given free weapons and there being no weapon breaking/conditions in Far Cry 3 is silly, there isn't any point in buying any new weapons really as you will get them free at some point, which also means money is pointless except for buying ammo. Would of also been nice to see some more WW2 weapons.

man now I'm thinking I should just re buy Far Cry 2 for PC instead

ekim

I have a blast with this game in terms of fun and looting bodies and stuff. But I wish the story and character development was better. But nonetheless :good job ubi.

Andrew.

Banned
Yep. They overcompensated like hell. Sadly, most people don't seem to agree. They hate FC2 with such a passion that they're blind to anything it did right, and instead turn to incredulousness (how could anyone like that game???) or insults (your taste sucks!!!). There are examples even in the past couple of pages. Meanwhile many seem to be completely ok with Far Cry 3's faults, shrugging them off with a "whatever, I don't care that much" or "just don't do it if you don't like it".

The only reason I disliked FC2 was because of it's game breaking glitches on the console versions. I loved the game to pieces, but I suffered from the save game corruption glitch when I first played the 360 version (I was 80 hours in and was heartbroken) and then years later attempted the PS3 version and was unable to get more malaria medicine due to the NPC simply not existing where he was supposed to be.

Otherwise it was a fucking awesome, awesome game and I wished Ubisoft wouldve properly fixed it with patches.

Ledsen

The only reason I disliked FC2 was because of it's game breaking glitches on the console versions. I loved the game to pieces, but I suffered from the save game corruption glitch when I first played the 360 version (I was 80 hours in and was heartbroken) and then years later attempted the PS3 version and was unable to get more malaria medicine due to the NPC simply not existing where he was supposed to be.

Otherwise it was a fucking awesome, awesome game and I wished Ubisoft wouldve properly fixed it with patches.

That happened to me. Made me hate the game for 6 months or something. I got over it, but damn that was some of the worst post-release support I've EVER seen.

MYE

Just made my own fun™

'Piece of the Past'/Nostalgia spoilers:

Waited until the sun was setting, then piloted a black dinghy out to the boat. Popped a Deep Dive syringe, swam underwater to the ladder on the left side. Climbed up, took out the sniper on the stairs with a takedown and dragged him out of sight. Did the same with two more guys on the upper deck. Then proceeded to silently stab and headshot the rest before they knew what was happening. Took out the big guy on the door with a tossed C4.

Inside, I chained takedowns on my way to the computer and blew the second heavy with another pack of C4. I think five bullets left the barrel of my gun for the whole mission, and no one saw me coming.

It's cool that you can play the game like this.

I'm actually doing this mission right now.

Died a bunch of times because I never bothered upgrading to 3 weapon holsters so I'm basically going in with an AK-47, vanilla Bow and the minimum number of ammo, grenades and mines lol

Fun times

Dennis

Banned
My initial impression was disappointment. As I have gotten some hours in I am more enthusiastic. I have not really had the time to really sink my teeth in.

But there some very annoying things that really shouldn't be present in a 2012 PC game. Like:

1) No option to turn of the HUD.

2) No prone.

3) No holstering.

4) No option to turn off FXAA but get DoF, motion blur and GI. These should be separate in-game options.

Ledsen

My initial impression was disappointment. As I have gotten some hours in I am more enthusiastic. I have not really had the time to really sink my teeth in.

But there some very annoying things that really shouldn't be present in a 2012 PC game. Like:

2) No prone.

3) No holstering.

4) No option to turn off FXAA but get DoF, motion blur and GI. These should be separate in-game options.

You can turn off FXAA regardless of postfx setting in GamerProfile.xml

Kreunt

Banned

from what ive seen so far you dont get any of the signature weapons for free at any point, and once you start using a lot of the bigger weapons and explosives, you spend a lot of money on ammo.

ekim

2) No prone.

3) No holstering.

Proning wouldn't work well from a technical view as you can hide behind foliage/grass from your enemies. If you could prone, enemies wouldn't even see you if you were right in front of them. It would work if they hadn't implemented the foliage hiding stuff.

Klocker

YES!

Sethos

Banned
Proning wouldn't work well from a technical view as you can hide behind foliage/grass from your enemies. If you could prone, enemies wouldn't even see you if you were right in front of them. It would work if they hadn't implemented the foliage hiding stuff.

lol you can hide right next to people simply by crouching. I've been sitting on tin roofs with guards being able to see me in plain site ... Crouch, OH SHIT WHERE DID HE GO?! MAGIC! despite still being in view.

This game would do well with prone, crouch should be for the tall grass and prone for places with less foliage.

Dennis

Banned

I don't think I understand. I don't see why you couldn't have crouch with intermediate stealth effect and moderate movement speed. And prone with high stealth effect and very low movement speed.

It would add depth to the gameplay.

All that dense foliage and I can't crawl and hide in it. For shame.

ekim

lol you can hide right next to people simply by crouching. I've been sitting on roofs with guards being able to see me in plain site ... Crouch, OH SHIT WHERE DID HE GO?! MAGIC!

I noticed that but I don't want to exploit game mechanics to my advantage while giving up the fun with this game.

Riposte

Crouching only seems to make you invisible in plain sight if you are pretty far off.

I don't think I understand. I don't see why you couldn't have crouch with intermediate stealth effect and moderate movement speed. And prone with high stealth effect and very low movement speed.

No, it would have added complexity. Depth only if the game used it well.

No. There is no one game that will satisfy everyone. Even games that claim to offer something for everyone usually tilt heavily in one direction or another after a while; look at the criticisms of Dishonored's stealth once people started digging into the game. It's just the nature of the beast.

Designers should design, not try to make their game all things to all people. Gamers should buy the games that satisfy their wants.

The problem with his sentiment is that most all game publishers markets these types of games as something that will satisfy everyone.

I understand that this philosophy wont work in all genres of games. What I'm talking about is the scaling of a games difficulty in the open world/WRPG genre. Farcry 3 could've been scaled more similarly to FONV offering a more hardcore experience for those who enjoy that.

NBtoaster

I want to climb a radio tower, wingsuit to the nearest outpost, land behind somebody, chain-takedown, and end with a grenade kick into a jeep full of enemies. It should be possible. It would be the ultimate (massive) gif.

ekim

The AI works possibly like this : 65% of your body isn't visible --> enemies don't notice you.
Now if you prone that would be always the case. You would have to program an actual AI that can visibly see and interpret that picture to get a peek of eg. your head, which isn't really possibly; so they can only react passive to what you see. So ubi had to decide between hiding behind foliage (which was wanted from gamers after FC2) and proning.

I seem to have run into a bug on the Deepthroat mission. When I loot the pirate I'm supposed to the objective doesn't update. Anybody know whats wrong? Its a mission the second island where
you have to recover the list of people who are betraying Hoyt. You shoot them with an RPG on the bridge

"That was rough. Harder than expected."

He just keeps saying that every time I complete a thing. Sounded particularly sarcastic after I haphazardly tossed a grenade at the black panther.

MJLord

Oh god, can't have that.

I think (if I may expand on your point) he meant that its just added complexity JUST to add complexity. It adds nothing to the game other than the ability to prone.

If the game utilized it in a useful way, air vents, smaller holes in walls. Just to spitball a few ideas It would help add the depth that you want.

Beaulieu

I seem to have run into a bug on the Deepthroat mission. When I loot the pirate I'm supposed to the objective doesn't update. Anybody know whats wrong? Its a mission the second island where
you have to recover the list of people who are betraying Hoyt. You shoot them with an RPG on the bridge

dont you need to take a picture or somethin ?

Riposte

I think (if I may expand on your point) he meant that its just added complexity JUST to add complexity. It adds nothing to the game other than the ability to prone.

If the game utilized it in a useful way, air vents, smaller holes in walls. Just to spitball a few ideas It would help add the depth that you want.

You also run the risk of making the game worse by adding mechanics the rest of the game doesn't mesh well. Prone might break the AI or maybe make other options useless.

MJLord

You also run the risk of making the game worse by adding mechanics the rest of the game doesn't mesh well. Prone might break the AI or maybe make other options useless.

Oh yeah as it stands no doubt. I was talking as if they had considered it during development.

Sethos

Banned

Just because someone is asking for prone, they aren't asking just for the sake of having prone. Asking for prone, if some intellect is applied, also entails some use for it and a change in the system. Like I just mentioned, standing up - 100% visible, crouch - 50-60% visible and mostly in grass and prone 0-10% visible and some form of visibility decrease even when in open spaces. THEN you can add the reduced recoil and weapon stability that comes from it.

That's not complexity for the sake of it, that is fairly standard game mechanics that allows you to control the character a bit more and make you feel a bit more sneaky than crouching around in what appears to be a lawn that hasn't been mowed for two weeks and going right past the baddies in plain site.

They should have expanded on the stealth element because it's broken, bad and boring right now. An expanded posture system would have made it a bit more satisfying and would have made more sense. Maybe it's just because I find the stealth system is über babby and I just wanted it a TINY BIT more fleshed out and with an AI that can actually SEE.

Top Bottom