• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Goldrusher

What's with all the absurd collectibles...

I just found the following:

PHOTO OF A DWARF
A picture of a naked dwarf, laughing and pointing at the camera. And he's not using his fingers.

Riposte

Fast travel doesn't need to be balanced at all. If you have a problem with it ffs don't use it. I don't know why people with no self-control want to ruin a feature of the game that other people enjoy.

You don't see how adding fast travel changes the game? Moreover how can you argument not be applied to any and all aspects of a game?

EDIT: I'm so disappointed you can't cheat in poker using the cards you pick up. I was so eager to do that and it was going to be such a cool small thing this game had.

I don't see anything in his list that would bring back something people disliked about FC2. People complained about the respawning checkpoints and the robot-like accuracy of the enemies, not the sparse HUD or lack of handholding. These changes would make the game more immersive and less like a gigantic Disneyland ride, which could only be a good thing. Dare I say "hardcore"? The game as it is now is only a couple of steps away from catering to the CoD crowd.

"Generally make the island as nasty and inhospitable as FC2's unnamed African nation was."
no thanks.

In this day and age it shouldn't be about either or. Developers should design gameplay and balance that allow for both types of players otherwise you will eventually alienate future potential customers who are looking for an experience that you game just doesn't offer.

Each opinion has it merits. With devs and publishers whining about the rising cost of game development games nowadays should be scalable to suit all player types.

meta4

Yes and no. I cannot answer this properly without spoiling it. There's more to it than you are describing though.

Ok thanks. I was wondering if the game was ruined and if I should not be buying it now. I guess I will buy it then.So pissing of that some long time members are putting spoilers without tagging them here in GAF.

ElyrionX

The story missions are just terrible. I'm trying to rush through them to get to the second island but it's just scripted gunfight after scripted gunfight broken up by the occasional lame drug-fueled dreams (as well as an awful boss fight) and lame platforming stages. And then there are the cheesey cut scenes with Citra as well as the annoying protaganist who just never learns.

Goddamniit.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I've completed basically everything on the first island - all radio towers, outposts and hunter missions. Do I need to proceed with the story now to unlock the second island or can I go to it another way?

The story missions are just terrible. I'm trying to rush through them to get to the second island but it's just scripted gunfight after scripted gunfight broken up by the occasional lame drug-fueled dreams (as well as an awful boss fight) and lame platforming stages. And then there are the cheesey cut scenes with Citra as well as the annoying protaganist who just never learns.

Goddamniit.

Interesting. I found the story missions each pretty cool. Always felt something new was going on.
burning building escape, tourching weed farm, escaping sinking ship, hunting temples for artifacts.
Not sure why you feel they are so terrible but to each their own.

Definity

Yeah. I've actually enjoyed the story missions so far. Felt a tomb raider vibe on some of them and then like a total badass with a flamethrower in others. Im just now to the second island and still having a blast with the game.

Dabanton

I'm taking my time with this. Building up my equipment and ammo and doing a misson every now and then. I'm very slowly learning the lay of the island

I would imagine rushing from misson to misson would be a bit too much.

very nice. no idea what that means, but very nice.

It's actually a sprint slide not a stunt one lol. And it basically means you you slide into a crouch great for getting to cover quickly.

SJRB

Gold Member

Goddamniit.

What is this I don't even-

Are you seriously complaining about having to shoot people in a first person shooter? Missions are diverse, take you to many different locales and situations and yes, most of them [sooner or later] revolve around shooting people. What do you even mean with "scripted"?

Simplifying the main missions like that is not fair in the slightest. That's like saying "Skyrim is swordfight after swordfight with some cheesy shit and magic stuff I guess". Besides, every gameplay segment, every trailer was crystal clear about what this game was about.

MYE

Goddamniit.

I cant agree with any of this. Missions have been very fun so far and the cutscenes are fantastic.

Xanathus

Is there any way to buy/get the PC Deluxe Edition content separately from the game, maybe from the Ubi store? I'm going to buy an ATI 7950 which comes with the game for free but I think it's just the standard edition. I think someone in the thread mentioned being able to do that but I don't recall where the post is.

diffusionx

Gold Member
In this day and age it shouldn't be about either or. Developers should design gameplay and balance that allow for both types of players otherwise you will eventually alienate future potential customers who are looking for an experience that you game just doesn't offer.

Each opinion has it merits. With devs and publishers whining about the rising cost of game development games nowadays should be scalable to suit all player types.

No. There is no one game that will satisfy everyone. Even games that claim to offer something for everyone usually tilt heavily in one direction or another after a while; look at the criticisms of Dishonored's stealth once people started digging into the game. It's just the nature of the beast.

Designers should design, not try to make their game all things to all people. Gamers should buy the games that satisfy their wants.

Nekrono

Man what a great game this is turning out to be, I'm just on mission 11
out of 38 (the one after meeting Citra.)
after 8+ hours and the game keeps getting bigger, better and more interesting.

The skills and openness is however what really makes it shine and standout from the average shooter in terms of mechanics. IMO this is the best example we've gotten of an open/sandbox shooter after Crysis and I completely did not see it coming. It's been a fantastic surprise for me and I guess for a lot of people as well. I wasn't really expecting this from FC3, hell I wasn't even expecting FC3! The game was under my radar up until a few weeks ago but IMO this is the best shooter of 2012.

For anyone that's on the fence still or not sure how the game is but you like Crysis (the first one) then pick this up! Actually even if you're not a fan of it just pick it up since it's been a pretty damn great experience overall so far.

Locke_211

There's a potential barrier to being able to get all the trophies, from what I can see:

One of the skills requires you to liberate 2 outposts without being detected. So if you liberate all the outposts without doing 2 undetected, you'd never be able to get that one skill, it looks like.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There's a potential barrier to being able to get all the trophies, from what I can see:

One of the skills requires you to liberate 2 outposts without being detected. So if you liberate all the outposts without doing 2 undetected, you'd never be able to get that one skill, it looks like.

New Game. You can still get em!

There's over 30 outposts and taking them over stealthily is the way to go, IMO. 1500 XP bonus for going undetected. Some outposts you can take over from afar using explosive arrows - I just did this last night and it was awesome. Guards were scrambling all over the place.

iNvid02

wingsuit is awesome but the pop in kinda ruins it

iqXgMnW2U5kXz.gif

Frillen

Just beat the game. As with a lot of titles this generation, I was a bit disappointed with the final stretch there, both story wise and gameplay wise. Not going to spoil anything though.

Ganondorfo

I am just at the beginning at the part where
that villain just wanted to burn you and a female friend of yours down, while he is screaming for his sister(???).

And I already think this is the best FPS I ever played in my life, really. I never expected that a far cry game would be one of the best fps i ever played.

Linius

Just had the most amazing stealth outpost take over during my run in this game. It was outpost "The Necks Diner" with two heavy's (my first in the game) around. I had a good start with a dead from above move to get to the alarm. And from that moment on I just kept sneaking on the roof of a big building taking everyone out with my bow. It feels so good to take these heavy's out with an arrow in the back of the head (and getting 200XP) :D

Andrew.

Banned
I am just at the beginning at the part where that villain just wanted to burn you and a female friend of yours down, while he is screaming for his sister(???).

And I already think this is the best FPS I ever played in my life, really. I never expected that a far cry game would be one of the best fps i ever played.

hey junior, spoiler that shit. holy christ(mas)

Woo-Fu

Banned
You don't see how adding fast travel changes the game? Moreover how can you argument not be applied to any and all aspects of a game?

EDIT: I'm so disappointed you can't cheat in poker using the cards you pick up. I was so eager to do that and it was going to be such a cool small thing this game had.

If you don't like fast travel, don't use it. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

You have the power to play the game the way you want to. Why not do that instead of lobbying to REMOVE that option for other players?

/smh

Your poker comparison is ignorant, btw. Fast travel is used in the singleplayer game, it isn't part of competition ffs. Nor is it "cheating", it is part of the game. Again, if you don't like that part of the game you don't have to use that part of the game, it is 100% optional.

nOoblet16

I donno if people already know this or if this has already been mentioned, but the way TOD in this game works is....funny !
Basically the game time won't progress AT ALL if you are standing absolutely still, but as you move you can see the shadows move as well, which means the TOD cycle works only if you push either of the analogue sticks in any direction (with the left analogue it's a constant change but if you stand still and just use your right analogue then the TOD works only when you are doing any sort of movement with the right analogue stick).

Try this fun experiment:
Give the left analogue stick a small nudge so that it's off it's default place but your character is still standing still (or barely moving), you'll see something similar to a timelapse video but all happening in front of you in real time !!

wingsuit is awesome but the pop in kinda ruins it

iqXgMnW2U5kXz.gif
As a skydiver, I poop my pants when I see something like that and imagine if it was me flying that close to the ground.

Nizz

For people playing this on consoles (particularly PS3) has framerate been a dealbreaker so far? After checking out the DF Face Off and seeing that it seems to run at 25fps most of the time does it feel bad in this game to you?

Beaulieu

If you don't like fast travel, don't use it. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

You have the power to play the game the way you want to. Why not do that instead of lobbying to REMOVE that option for other players?

/smh

Your poker comparison is ignorant, btw. Fast travel is used in the singleplayer game, it isn't part of competition ffs. Nor is it "cheating", it is part of the game. Again, if you don't like that part of the game you don't have to use that part of the game, it is 100% optional.

... it wasnt a comparison, he was talking about the atual poker in the game, and the cards you can find in the loot. comme des fuckdown.

MYE

For people playing this on consoles (particularly PS3) has framerate been a dealbreaker so far? After checking out the DF Face Off and seeing that it seems to run at 25fps most of the time does it feel bad in this game to you?

PS3 here and nope, seems perfectly fine to me so far.

Just made my own fun™

'Piece of the Past'/Nostalgia spoilers:

Waited until the sun was setting, then piloted a black dinghy out to the boat. Popped a Deep Dive syringe, swam underwater to the ladder on the left side. Climbed up, took out the sniper on the stairs with a takedown and dragged him out of sight. Did the same with two more guys on the upper deck. Then proceeded to silently stab and headshot the rest before they knew what was happening. Took out the big guy on the door with a tossed C4.

Inside, I chained takedowns on my way to the computer and blew the second heavy with another pack of C4. I think five bullets left the barrel of my gun for the whole mission, and no one saw me coming.

It's cool that you can play the game like this.

Top Bottom