• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

bryanee

I was stealthing my way around an enemy camp marking everyone, just as I was going to make my move three Komodo Dragons come out of nowhere to start WW3. I open fire on them so all the enemies come charging my way including two heavies, then a jeep pulls up with more bad guys so I whip out a rocket launch only for the good guys to come steaming out of fucking nowhere to help me out but instead of helping they run me fucking over.

I love this game.

Raptomex

so anybody that has finished the game... is it good enough that you would start over with harder difficulty?

I mean once the camps are liberated and there are no more enemies?

thx
I'm wondering this myself. Seems like the type of game I would love to replay. And I hear you can create custom maps with AI and animals. Is that for testing multiplayer stuff or something?

I was stealthing my way around an enemy camp marking everyone, just as I was going to make my move three Komodo Dragons come out of nowhere to start WW3. I open fire on them so all the enemies come charging my way including two heavies, then a jeep pulls up with more bad guys so I whip out a rocket launch only for the good guys to come steaming out of fucking nowhere to help me out but instead of helping they run me fucking over.

I love this game.

Something similiar happened to me, I was stealthing around a camp tagging people when all of a sudden 3 fucking boars start attacking, so of course my gun shots send the pirates after me. Only a god damn tiger starts attacking them and takes them ALL down and libarates the camp for me. This damn game.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm wondering this myself. Seems like the type of game I would love to replay. And I hear you can create custom maps with AI and animals. Is that for testing multiplayer stuff or something?

any AI which includes animals wont work for MP with the custom maps at the moment. So basically its there for you to mess with yourself.

For starting the game over again on a higher difficulty, if you just like screwing around with no real purpose and trying to beat it with your own limitations sure go for it. Asides from that on a personal level I feel that there is little reason for me to return to the games SP portion now that Ive completed it.

And yes once you liberate all the camps you screw yourself over in terms of "people to harass". As the bad guys dont spawn at all. So might want to keep that in mind if you like having a world thats a bit more alive so to speak. I went and killed a lot of that for myself by taking over everything on the first island before really doing a lot of the story missions. Did the same with the 2nd island.

In the future if someone releases a mod that changes that, then perhaps it might be amusing to return to the game.

Parakeetman

Loving the game so far, feels very much like Far Cry 1. Only thing missing is a save anywhere feature, WTF Ubi?!?

They actually left that out on the console versions? On the PC its there only works though if you are not in a mission.

Damnit! I picked up a hunting assignment to kill some bears with a shotgun, I picked up a shotgun that was provided but had to drop a fully upgraded sniper rifle to pick it up. After killing the bears I went back to the hut and my gun is gone! :( waste of 3k

iNvid02

the lost expedition and monkey business missions sucked, got a nice boat ride though

i5KkG3KfSsFYG.gif

Megasoum

Banned
the lost expedition and monkey business missions sucked, got a nice boat ride though

Yeah I only done the first 2 missions of Monkey but I finished Lost Expedition and Testing Chamber and was really dissapointed overall. It's just normal missions, super linear and nothing special. The only benefit is that you get xp along the way. I was hoping for at least a signature weapon at the end (a WW2 weapon for example for the lost expedition).

It's not that they are bad per se, they are just bland and boring.

Parakeetman

Damnit! I picked up a hunting assignment to kill some bears with a shotgun, I picked up a shotgun that was provided but had to drop a fully upgraded sniper rifle to pick it up. After killing the bears I went back to the hut and my gun is gone! :( waste of 3k

Go back to a shop / base safe house and you can just re-equip it from there.

At least monkey business felt like they put some effort into it with how they had those scenes with that nutter Hurk. The Lost Expedition stuff yeah that was garbage.

Grisby

Just bought this on ze 360. Will be digging in to it tonight. I played all of an hour or 2 of FC2 and completed the original Far Cry on PC.

Talk about a difficult game too mind you. Those mutants were ammo sponges.

Parakeetman

Ahhh cool thats a relief.

Yeah you will never actually "lose" anything in this game which is nice. Since there are occasions where your dropped weapon will clip through the ground funny so you are either unable to pick it up or it literally sinks into the terrain.

Though this may count as a spoiler but its equipment related, nothing story related but am tagging it anyways.

If you want to keep the .50 cal sniper rifle that is only sold / unlocked on the 2nd island you need to hold onto that thing when you get access to it on a story mission where eventually you will have to climb up onto a water tower. Just dont drop that thing since until you have the 2nd island unlocked, it wont show up in your weapons list. Its worth holding onto even though its not suppressed as it can take heavies down in 1 shot to the head.

SpaceHorror

Best moment so far (similar to the one above).

As I was scoping out a check point along a road and trying to work out the best angle from which to attack it, a komodo dragon suddenly comes barreling out of the jungle and kills them all.

iNvid02

just finished it, damn that was a crazy ending, both of them were actually.

thoroughly enjoyed it though, few minor flaws and some wasted potential in some areas but still fantastic.

Parakeetman

Thanks, I think Dingo's are the only animal I haven't come across yet.

Yeah they are a bit away from the starting area. But I can assure you they exist on the first continent. Just explore out farther. I actually had more trouble finding the stupid boars to upgrade my ammo pouch. D:

ElyrionX

I've reached the second island, unlocked all radio towers and have all the signature weapons that can be unlocked (as seen through the handbook). Yet my weapons acquired stat is 42/43. What am I missing here?

Sentenza

I can't believe how much better this game is compared to Far Cry 2.
I spent weeks making a full display of skepticism about the "supposedly improved" formula, but they really added a lot to turn what was unbearably boring and repetitive into something that's actually fun and stays mostly fun for a lot of hours.

iNvid02

I've reached the second island, unlocked all radio towers and have all the signature weapons that can be unlocked (as seen through the handbook). Yet my weapons acquired stat is 42/43. What am I missing here?

the uplay rewards has a handcannon sig weapon, maybe thats it

Yeah they are a bit away from the starting area. But I can assure you they exist on the first continent. Just explore out farther. I actually had more trouble finding the stupid boars to upgrade my ammo pouch. D:

Doesn't help the Boar symbol looks a bit like a Rhino. I've explored most of the first island, i'll go Dingo hunting when I play tonight.

I think collecting Relics unlocks weapons as well, try that.

Parakeetman

Doesn't help the Boar symbol looks a bit like a Rhino. I've explored most of the first island, i'll go Dingo hunting when I play tonight.

I think collecting Relics unlocks weapons as well, try that.

Going off of hazy memory there was one dingo point near one of the towers south east I think. But yeah just travel outwards and the dingos replace the dogs basically.

Im curious what you get for finding them all or further down the list. Seeing the stars are like the points where you will be rewarded with something.

DocSeuss

That's good, wouldn't want any negativity in the OT, now would we? Especially not from "those people". I know I've got my pitchfork ready for when "the leader" returns! PM:ing Evilore right now to propose a ban on criticism of generally well-liked games to prevent other people feeling uneasy.

What? Surely it's reasonable to go "woah, hey, guys hold on a second," and provide reasonable reasons for why the thing is faulty? Tearing things apart to see how and why they work is something I greatly enjoy.

You shouldn't have to worry about someone's personal feelings. If they're mature, and your criticism is reasonable, then they should be able to handle it well. GAF's pretty great about ensuring that reasonable people stick around and unreasonable ones don't. Banning criticism just because people might feel uncomfortable is foolish, and, for what it's worth, someone's always going to feel uncomfortable about criticism of anything ever. Intelligent discussion stems from healthy debate, and I'd rather see healthy debate than protect the feelings of people with thin skin.

By all means, kick the people who are baselessly or needlessly negative, but not all criticism.

After all, some games deserve downright evisceration.

Going off of hazy memory there was one dingo point near one of the towers south east I think. But yeah just travel outwards and the dingos replace the dogs basically.

Im curious what you get for finding them all or further down the list. Seeing the stars are like the points where you will be rewarded with something.

Thanks for the heads up, will check it out tonight.

For some odd reason I do not have an aim reticle(sp?) when I look through the scope. At first I thought I had to unlock a skill or something. But I dont see any. This is making using a sniper rifle pointless since I can't hit anything.

Anyone having this problem? When I look through a scope there aren't any type of reticles or anything.

antitrop

OK, so, I just had my first Croc encounter.

I'm not ashamed to say I let out an audible "AHHH!" and jumped back in my chair a bit.

golem

so anybody that has finished the game... is it good enough that you would start over with harder difficulty?

I mean once the camps are liberated and there are no more enemies?

thx

No, I wouldnt but I'm not a completionist/repeat game player really.

What? Surely it's reasonable to go "woah, hey, guys hold on a second," and provide reasonable reasons for why the thing is faulty? Tearing things apart to see how and why they work is something I greatly enjoy.

You shouldn't have to worry about someone's personal feelings. If they're mature, and your criticism is reasonable, then they should be able to handle it well. GAF's pretty great about ensuring that reasonable people stick around and unreasonable ones don't. Banning criticism just because people might feel uncomfortable is foolish, and, for what it's worth, someone's always going to feel uncomfortable about criticism of anything ever. Intelligent discussion stems from healthy debate, and I'd rather see healthy debate than protect the feelings of people with thin skin.

By all means, kick the people who are baselessly or needlessly negative, but not all criticism.

After all, some games deserve downright evisceration.
Wow. I realize that sarcasm *can* be hard to pick up on the internet, but some people's sarcasm detector is just plain broken. He was kidding, yo.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
haha, this game is entertainment

I just spent one hour sneaking around an enemy camp. First, i mark everyone. Then I keep moving in circle looking for the best vantage point to use my silenced sniper rifle, until I hear a RAWWR, which means problems. I turn around and a tiger is running towards me, i shoot the bow one, two times, first bite and I'm dying already, Syringe, I don't even notice I'm backing off, end of the road, I fall down the goddamned rock and thankfully into the water, there's a cave, I go in and a scary croc bites my arse one single time and I'm dead. The end

kinda pissed but man if this game doesn't deliver

Parakeetman

For some odd reason I do not have an aim reticle(sp?) when I look through the scope. At first I thought I had to unlock a skill or something. But I dont see any. This is making using a sniper rifle pointless since I can't hit anything.

Anyone having this problem? When I look through a scope there aren't any type of reticles or anything.

Earlier in the thread someone else had the exact same problem. Did you try restarting the game? I dont recall a solution being written out.

Anyone know a good place to find lots of enemies once you beat the game?

If you took over all the bases thats not going to really happen outside of the side quests unfortunately. One of the problems with the current game design with how the world doesnt repopulate itself with badguys it seems.

Unless there is something that causes it to change after you do beat the game. But had not seen anything like that as just all the markers were the exact same as I left it before completing the main story.

n0n44m

finished the game ... hmm

overall I liked it quite a bit :) but not as much as I did during the first few hours

good gameplay in general, especially during the story missions. Gun play feels good, AI gets the job done most of the time, vehicles drive very well (except for the static camera)

outpost takeovers are bit iffy, the massive XP bonus for remaining unseen heavily favors the "silenced-sniper-from-hilltop" approach for both speed & reliability, despite there being a dozen ways to get the job done

but my main issue is that the game had so much more potential, both in terms of gameplay and in terms of story: a lot of the content outside the main missions is just more of the same done a million times over, the world never really feels "alive" before and after liberating areas and the story itself has a lot of (more) interesting possibilities that were never explored in the end.

still it's a very refreshing FPS, in a time where most other titles consist of nothing but corridors and cut-scenes ;) I just hope that for FC4, the developers get more time/budget to create content for this beautiful world they made. (and leave out pointless QTEs lol)

also, question for those who have finished the game

How the fuck would you get a big ass boat out of a semi-submerged cave inside a cliff? also lol @ Lisa's cross ! and the helicopters in this game are seriously slow

you're not doing any Nvidia Inspector AA stuff right? one of those settings caused a similar bug for me

also try the latest beta drivers (310.70 released today)

7he Talon

If you took over all the bases thats not going to really happen outside of the side quests unfortunately. One of the problems with the current game design with how the world doesnt repopulate itself with badguys it seems.

Unless there is something that causes it to change after you do beat the game. But had not seen anything like that as just all the markers were the exact same as I left it before completing the main story.
Took over all the outposts awhile ago. Well that sucks then. Nothing to do now but run around collecting items.

Parakeetman

Took over all the outposts awhile ago. Well that sucks then. Nothing to do now but run around collecting items.

Thats one huge issue a lot of folks seem to have. Is basically you can sterilize the island for yourself in a bad way. Which is unfortunate since the game does a lot of other things right with design in general. Just that yeah you really run out of fun with no enemies to harass.

ElyrionX

Yep, the world becomes quite boring if you take over all the outposts. You need to do this for the first island because a lot of the hunting quests unlocked via outpost takeovers there gives you the stuff you need to craft the highest tier upgrades.

For the second island, I unlocked all radio towers and only cleared out two camps in the middle of the map for ease of fast traveling. I intend to keep it this way for the rest of the game. It makes traveling on foot a lot more interesting and tense when you have enemies roaming around.

Parakeetman

I kinda wished that they had a third faction in the game. Like some sort of actual military / govt that is against both factions to keep things interesting and a struggle for power going on with the islands.

Really do hope that Ubi releases a patch that allows for AI and such to be included for MP use. As that will help stave off boredom once people beat the game. Kinda silly that they did not have that initially.

finished the game ... hmm

overall I liked it quite a bit :) but not as much as I did during the first few hours

good gameplay in general, especially during the story missions. Gun play feels good, AI gets the job done most of the time, vehicles drive very well (except for the static camera)

outpost takeovers are bit iffy, the massive XP bonus for remaining unseen heavily favors the "silenced-sniper-from-hilltop" approach for both speed & reliability, despite there being a dozen ways to get the job done

but my main issue is that the game had so much more potential, both in terms of gameplay and in terms of story: a lot of the content outside the main missions is just more of the same done a million times over, the world never really feels "alive" before and after liberating areas and the story itself has a lot of (more) interesting possibilities that were never explored in the end.

still it's a very refreshing FPS, in a time where most other titles consist of nothing but corridors and cut-scenes ;) I just hope that for FC4, the developers get more time/budget to create content for this beautiful world they made. (and leave out pointless QTEs lol)

also, question for those who have finished the game

How the fuck would you get a big ass boat out of a semi-submerged cave inside a cliff? also lol @ Lisa's cross ! and the helicopters in this game are seriously slow

you're not doing any Nvidia Inspector AA stuff right? one of those settings caused a similar bug for me

also try the latest beta drivers (310.70 released today)

Actually I am using Nvidia inspector to force aa. Guess I gotta deal with jaggies now.

CyReN

I got the game today and installed it on my Xbox 360, there seems to be some weird screen lag/shudder. I can't tell if it's my head messing with my or not.

DTKT

Are we at the part of the release where we start to bash the game? Just keeping myself in the loop :p

I'm downloading the game through Gamefly it doesn't seem like a half-bad service so far.

Played 13 straight hours of Far Cry 3, now have wingsuit and on second island. This game, man. I'm very wary of where the story's going to go, with Brody's mindset.

It's already like a sequel now.

antitrop

I'm not very far in, but the story seems terrible. Vaas is literally the only thing that is keeping it even slightly interesting. Maybe it will pick up later.

The gameplay is phenomenal, though. I'm having a ton of fun. Running this nearly maxed out on PC, definitely looks "next-gen". It's rather incredible and unbelievable.

Top Bottom