• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Where do you get the bow? I've done a couple of story missions so far- does it unlock through that?

Look on the Special category on the gun shops. And remember to get the Marksman scope, it helps compensate for the arrow drop. Nothing more satisfying than luring an enemy with rocks until he's out of cover, then killing him with a perfectly aimed arrow to the head.

ironcreed

Banned
Been playing for a few hours now. Holy shit, this game is just huge. Much bigger than I even thought it would be. The map is littered with stuff to do, and as great as I think the story is, I am not even caring about doing the missions. In which case, I actually see why some called it Skyrim with guns because the world is simply massive and the map is littered with locations. The only difference here is that there is actually more of a wide variety of different things to do.

The visuals are hit and miss on the 360, but I find that it plays fine. The first person mechanics and gameplay in general feels great. Overall, I absolutely love it so far and I am barely even scratching the surface. Just gathering ingredients, exploring caves and old bunkers, finding relics, taking over towers and bases, doing side missions, upgrading, hunting, doing Trials of the Rakyat, hang-gliding, etc. The Game is simply ridiculously good. It is not just huge for the sake of being huge, it is literally dense with locations and different things to do.

Only gripes are jeeps of doom (because they hear my gunshots) and all of the pop-up reminders. These are just minor niggles that in no way takes away from what an ambitious game this is, though. I'll be playing this one for a long time to come. A keeper if there ever was one.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Only gripes are jeeps of doom (because they hear my gunshots) and all of the pop-up reminders. These are just minor niggles that in no way takes away from what an ambitious game this is, though. I'll be playing this one for a long time to come. A keeper if there ever was one.

Thankfully the idiots in the jeeps take forever to dismount making for quite the nice shooting gallery.

Also you wont run into the ones with the mounted MGs till later on in the game so its nowhere near the level of irritation that the jeeps in FC2 were. Even when they do appear its not as bad.

ironcreed

Banned
Thankfully the idiots in the jeeps take forever to dismount making for quite the nice shooting gallery.

Also you wont run into the ones with the mounted MGs till later on in the game so its nowhere near the level of irritation that the jeeps in FC2 were. Even when they do appear its not as bad.

Yeah, it does seem to end after a few rounds. Only time it has pissed me off is when they flew over a hill and nailed me while skinning a goat, lol. Other than that, easy pickings. But the game is really impressing me on the whole. Now this is a playground.

On a side note, I think this may be the only game where I actually feel intimidated by water. The first time I saw all of those little isles and ship wrecks way out from the coast, I felt a sense of adventure and dread that I can't quite explain. They absolutely nailed the world and atmosphere. So good.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah, it does seem to end after a few rounds. Only time it has pissed me off is when they flew over a hill and nailed me while skinning a goat, lol. Other than that, easy pickings. But the game is really impressing me on the whole. Now this is a playground.

On a side note, I think this may be the only game where I actually feel intimidated by water. The first time I saw all of those little isles and ship wrecks way out from the coast, I felt a sense of adventure and dread that I can't quite explain. They absolutely nailed the world and atmosphere. So good.

Better yet is once you get C4 or land mines just have fun with that. The dumbass AI dismounts and checks the wreckage. Makes for lots of laughs when you leave C4 near the wreck and wait for them to approach it. As the blast radius is pretty huge. They dont seem to learn too even if there is an amount of wreckage around that equals a small pile up.

With the rivers am always paranoid so I pop the hunters instinct to make sure no log with teeth is gonna ruin my blue leaf harvesting lol

hollams

Gold Member
I did the hexedit and disabled the UI. It takes away the minimap, the quest reminders, and all other button prompts so it makes it a little tough to open chests and talk to people. It looks like the minimap is tied to the whole UI so they will have to make some decent changes for a patch to remove this.

Since it removes button presses I went back to the original version as you will not see the QTE's if they happen.

I tried putting a mine on my car but it wouldn't stick, I even got ontop of my car and placed the mine but it fell all the way through to the ground.

newsguy

This may end up my goty. I tried to like many sequels this year only to be disappointed in every one of them. This is the first follow up that bests both it's predecessors handily. I'm currently working on a larger holster so that I can carry my bow, silenced pistol and silenced sniper. When outposts go down, no one ever knows what hit them.

A+ game.

Still unsure how I feel about take downs, they're good but starting to feel like quick time events. The skill tree feels very forced for the most part, they could have made a decent single tree with 3 branching paths for each "style" of play. Most of the skills are just fucking animations that should be part of the base gameplay. Suddenly Brody learns how to zipline with one hand? Ludicrous. It's like they took DLC butcher mentality and applied it to basic gameplay.
I wish they'd kept the second island secret from the map, also really fucking annoying when I try and sail over there and it just loads me in elsewhere.
They shouldn't have cheaped out so much on the number of things the random warrior bros say. While I like the towns, they feel really lived in and homely the little secret areas feel very slap dash, oh here's a cave with a dead soldier and a couple of cases. If this was a Fallout game they'd have all this luscious back story embedded into the environment.

I need my radio tower fix, hope I can get the second island soon!

edit. Yeah I agree about the GUI, the map is okay but the rest is kinda annoying.

Definity

Finished the game earlier on pc and had an absolute blast with it. I finished everything the game had to offer except the relics and I don't think I have the patience to even attempt to find them all. Great game. Very deserving of the high review scores.

Oh another disappointing thing, not enough use of the camera. They seem to channel Beyond Good and Evil's liberation stuff (maybe that's me projecting) but not the use of surveillance photography.
Crikey mate, still haven't encountered any crocs.
I was jet skiing down a 20 foot waterfall and a crocodile pulled me off and I stabbed it. True story.
medium a bit too easy for anyone else? wonder if I should up it
Yep, bumped up to hard after Dygit recommended it. It feels really good, armoured guys have a bit too much health, can be annoying when they're carrying a LMG but that's the only cheap thing I found.

edit. Any vegetarians have a problem with the way the game forces you to hunt? It doesn't seem unreasonable to allow the player to buy their own crafting supplies or loot luggage.

muffs92

This is the scariest game I have ever played.

"Well I completed my objective, but there are still enemies in the area. Better jump into this river for a sneaky getaway...
OH MY GOD CROCODILE DEATHROLL!

Love this game.

Dammit GAF, I was gonna pass on this one as I have a lot of games to play right now. Buuuut, I have a pretty nice pc and want to see what this jungle has to offer.

Zeliard

Definitely play on Warrior. I don't think enemies themselves get any boost in health, which is nice. It's likely the difference comes down to you just taking more damage, and the A.I. may be a bit more aggressive in responding to alerts.

antitrop

Dammit GAF, I was gonna pass on this one as I have a lot of games to play right now. Buuuut, I have a pretty nice pc and want to see what this jungle has to offer.
Easily one of the best looking PC games I've played since Battlefield 3.

I doubt any next-gen launch titles will look as good as this does on PC.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I really dislike day night cycles, especially in games like this where the daytime looks so nice. Wish I could turn it off.

The bow is seriously me favorite weapon in this game. It is soo satisfying to use (against humans at least)

Tried to take out a tiger with it. I died quickly.

if I got this on a physical 2 DVD copy does that mean I can't use it with steam?

EDIT nevermind
qAOhB.png
welp

Wow so many different opinions on Far Cry 2, but I'm really interested in the survival aspect so I'll see if I can buy it for cheap. My only concern is that it might be hard to go back and play Far Cry 2 after having such a good time with FC3, just like it's hard to enjoy Uncharted 1 after the phenomenal UC2.

Is it too late for FC3 to be included in the 2012 GOTY awards? I see it's not on the list of nominees for VGA's GOTY. Out of that list, I'd say Journey was definitely the most memorable for me, The Walking Dead is the only game I haven't played yet, still waiting for the retail copy, but if they were to put Far Cry 3 up on that list, I'd go for FC3 for GOTY.

antitrop

Wow so many different opinions on Far Cry 2, but I'm really interested in the survival aspect so I'll see if I can buy it for cheap. My only concern is that it might be hard to go back and play Far Cry 2 after having such a good time with FC3, just like it's hard to enjoy Uncharted 1 after the phenomenal UC2.
I'm very firmly in the Far Cry 2 hate camp. Nothing about that game, other than the shooting, was fun to me. Exploring the world wasn't fun, the graphics weren't fun (played on consoles, whoops), the respawning enemies at every checkpoint wasn't fun. Constantly bringing up the map to find the stupid Diamonds WAS NOT FUN.

I do love me some Far Cry 3, though. Also the first was great.

Zeliard

I'm in that devilishly handsome group that loved Far Cry 2 and enjoys FC3 quite a lot for the most part, but is saddened at some of the things they removed/modified that made FC2 stand out.

antitrop

I'm in that devilishly handsome group that loved Far Cry 2 and enjoys FC3 quite a lot for the most part, but is saddened at some of the things they removed/modified that made FC2 stand out.
I miss the ability to bring up a real map while you're driving from FC2. It was a good sense of immersion. Far Cry 3 doesn't need it, though, because it actually has a useful mini-map instead.

I like it, but I don't love it. I can see myself playing it in an hour or two bursts, but it's kind of boring. It's really fetch-questy.

It would be awesome without all the characters, sans Vaas. And the cutscenes really grate on me because I hate all off them.

It feels like a competent AAA title made by a good developer that doesn't take any risks whatsoever. Also, the consolitis for the PC version is embarrassing.

Riposte

This is the scariest game I have ever played.

"Well I completed my objective, but there are still enemies in the area. Better jump into this river for a sneaky getaway...
OH MY GOD CROCODILE DEATHROLL!

Love this game.

Personally I'm disappointed with crocs. They are not terrifying once you realize how easy they die. Fun the first time though.

Zeliard

I miss the ability to bring up a real map while you're driving from FC2. It was a good sense of immersion. Far Cry 3 doesn't need it, though, because it actually has a useful mini-map instead.

Loved that physical map, especially since it didn't intrude on the screen. :>

web01

This game is better than Far Cry 2 in almost every way but I can see the general consensus on this game becoming alot more negative in the future.

The more you play the more you realise just how shallow the game play and quests are and all the shortcuts they took instead of fleshing it out more.

The story is also one of the most cringe worthy in a game ever.

One time I respawned and all my guns had been unequipped and my ammo was gone. Might've been after that my shadow became a bunch of guns. Now I noticed I can't bring out my camera. Which is a bummer since it's required to progress through this story mission. Is there like a console command or some nonsense to take out the camera?

I wish I could turn off the damn reminders every ten minutes. Fuck you game, I'm taking this Outpost/hunting this tiger/climbing this radio tower/doing this quest! I'll do your boring story later!

ElyrionX

Finished the game earlier on pc and had an absolute blast with it. I finished everything the game had to offer except the relics and I don't think I have the patience to even attempt to find them all. Great game. Very deserving of the high review scores.

What does your weapons acquired stat in the handbook show? Is it 43/43? Mine shows 42/43 and I can't figure out what the last one is. Do you get any new weapons from the story missions?

Zeliard

I wish I could turn off the damn reminders every ten minutes. Fuck you game, I'm taking this Outpost/hunting this tiger/climbing this radio tower/doing this quest! I'll do your boring story later!

Yeah, I groan at the constant "HEY THE MAIN MISSION REMEMBER THE MAIN MISSION" notifications that pop up. There's a main mission. I think I get it, game.

I'm not really sure how else to do this type of game.

They could make it like the first Far Cry, I guess, but they were very obviously going for a Skyrim vibe with this one. It's not "SKYRIM WITH GUNS!!", but it's very clearly inspired by it.

I totally agree with you. However in keeping with the Skyrim comparison, this game severely lacks that whole, 'I'll wander off in this general direction and find some cool, rewarding quest to get involved and invested in' feel.

In the back of my mind, Spec Ops: The Line, which I just finished for the second time recently, keeps popping up as a direct contrast to this game for some reason. Maybe it's because you're given all this freedom, but really nothing to do with it.

Just a few hours in and I'm already thinking it may be my dream FPS. Stealth actually works, vehicles handle beautifully, and the gunplay in terms of feel/hit reactions may be the most impressive I've encountered yet. I liked Crysis. A lot, actually. But FC3 is executing on that promise better than Crytek ever did.

Oh, and it's a stunning and stunningly smooth experience on PC far. Super impressed and can't wait to jump back in.

Top Bottom