• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

most people in this thread displayed love for far cry 2 should go back and play it today, to see if their nostaligia-tinted glasses arent fuckin with the opinion.

far cry 2 was not a good game
far cry 3 is a great fuckin game
I played it again a couple months back, still really enjoyed it. Fun to just pop in from time to time and get some spurts of play.

Since it's the official release date in US. I'll post my video review since it was late the other day when I posted. My reviews are def not for everyone though but my small GAF fanbase will enjoy. No major spoilers. Some cool footage. Game is rock solid imo. Anxiously awaiting to see what other gaf members think of Far Cry 3.
I expected to roll my eyes through this review. Thats what i get for being so jaded, glad i watched, I was entertained. I will subscribe.

I expected to roll my eyes through this review. Thats what i get for being so jaded, glad i watched, I was entertained. I will subscribe.

Thanks Noir! Internet high five! :D

I'm really anxious to try peoples maps out once the game has been out a bit. I really suck at map editors in games. I don't have the patients I guess. Also might double dip and get the PC version as well. I rarely do that but...damnnn it looks good. :D

Ledsen

Totally agree...and anyway, the leader of "those people" was banned this morning lol.

What's weird is that Sethos got banned for shit talking and good ol' Derrick is banned too who also who most likely be shitting all over this game by now somehow, and by now I mean on the the fucking NA release day.

Ity's nice to see a brief overall positive atmosphere in here. Too bad it won't stick around for long as per usual =/

Sethos was banned this morning. No idea why but anyway, all I know is that the general tone of this thread went a bit more positive since...

That's good, wouldn't want any negativity in the OT, now would we? Especially not from "those people". I know I've got my pitchfork ready for when "the leader" returns! PM:ing Evilore right now to propose a ban on criticism of generally well-liked games to prevent other people feeling uneasy.

most people in this thread displayed love for far cry 2 should go back and play it today, to see if their nostaligia-tinted glasses arent fuckin with the opinion.

far cry 2 was not a good game
far cry 3 is a great fuckin game
I picked up Far Cry 2 at launch, played for a few hours, and put it down because I wasn't having much fun. I picked it back up earlier this year and started from scratch and it's now one of my favorite shooters of this generation. Once you accept the game on its own terms and treat it as more of a slow, methodical survival game as opposed to an action-packed shooter it really begins to shine. It certainly isn't perfect but what it offers is so unique.

Megasoum

Banned
That's good, wouldn't want any negativity in the OT, now would we? Especially not from "those people". I know I've got my pitchfork ready for when "the leader" returns! PM:ing Evilore right now to propose a ban on criticism of generally well-liked games.

I don't mind criticism, nothing wrong with that. However, there's nothing constructive when a single user reply to almost every messages with something negative for like a whole week! At some point, if you hate a game that much, just stay away from the OT and let the people who actually enjoy the game a lot have fun it.

Ledsen

I don't mind criticism, nothing wrong with that. However, there's nothing constructive when a single user reply to almost every messages with something negative for like a whole week! At some point, if you hate a game that much, just stay away from the OT and let the people who actually enjoy the game a lot have fun it.

No, sorry, an OT is not reserved for people who enjoy the game. As long as you're not straight up trolling (which I haven't seen Sethos do) you can post whatever you want. If it bugs you so much, just put him on your ignore list. Just stop it with the mob mentality. "Those people"? Really?

antitrop

Actually, really strange issue. The sound works perfectly when I start it, all the menu sounds work and everything. When I start a new game the opening FMV with "Paper Planes" plays and it's just fine. Then once the actual game engine loads sound no longer works at all. Even if I press ESC, then menu options no longer have an audible click and the game is completely silent.

I've never had an issue like this before and all my drivers are up to date.

EDIT: Substantial technical issues all over the place. Now I fixed the audio issue, but the video is completely black. I'm going to update my video drivers to the 310.70 released this morning, hope it helps the FPS at least. (Getting between 35-40fps with settings nearly maxed on a GTX 590).

There is definitely some critcisms that could be leveled against this game, but it's also an example of the good outweighing the bad by quite a margin. The emergent gameplay, the sense of physicality and the combat are excellent and it looks astonishing on a good PC. They have to make that HUD optional though. Please patch it in, Ubi.

So there's more than one ending? Do they let you rewind to the decision point or should I make a back up of my saves before the end?

antitrop

Oh didn't knew that, you know if they released the patch notes? I have some annoying bugs on PC that I would love to see fixed.
Here ya go:

http://benchmark3d.com/far-cry-3-1-02-patch-available

Far Cry 3 1.02 Changes:

Single Player:

Fixed issue where players fall through the world when not connected to the Ubisoft servers.
Fixed the “View Leaderboard” and “Start Trial” buttons in the World Map.
Improved stability when quitting to desktop.
Fixed issue with leaderboards.
Multiplayer:

Fixed some issues with user created maps when more than 8 players were playing them.
Improved matchmaking for both Multiplayer and Co-op modes.
Improved team balancing when playing in party.
Fixed issues with Live balancing patch system.
Map Editor:

Fix for the Map Editor crash at launch when the PC user contains language-specific characters.

Megasoum

Banned
Here ya go:

http://benchmark3d.com/far-cry-3-1-02-patch-available

Far Cry 3 1.02 Changes:

Single Player:

Fixed issue where players fall through the world when not connected to the Ubisoft servers.
Fixed the “View Leaderboard” and “Start Trial” buttons in the World Map.
Improved stability when quitting to desktop.
Fixed issue with leaderboards.
Multiplayer:

Fixed some issues with user created maps when more than 8 players were playing them.
Improved matchmaking for both Multiplayer and Co-op modes.
Improved team balancing when playing in party.
Fixed issues with Live balancing patch system.
Map Editor:

Fix for the Map Editor crash at launch when the PC user contains language-specific characters.

Thanks!

And boo, none of my issues are fixed.

For anyone with performance issues who isn't following the PC Optimization thread, in general you will get best performance in DX9 mode with Shadows and Post FX no higher than Medium. You can tweak from there but that should give at least a decent baseline performance without much visual compromise.

SJRB

Gold Member
So there's more than one ending? Do they let you rewind to the decision point or should I make a back up of my saves before the end?

There are two endings which are significantly different. There is no way to rewind or otherwise reload a save point prior to the ending. There is no specific achievement for both endings, just for reaching "the end".

The only way to experience them both is to either play twice or wait for some random forum member to mindlessly post the fucking ending of the fucking game without any warning whatsoever.

Saved me a second playthrough there homie, thanks a MILLION.

Megasoum

Banned
There are two endings which are significantly different. There is no way to rewind or otherwise reload a save point prior to the ending. There is no specific achievement for both endings, just for reaching "the end".

The only way to experience them both is to either play twice or wait for some random forum member to mindlessly post the fucking ending of the fucking game without any warning whatsoever.

Saved me a second playthrough there homie, thanks a MILLION.

I think that if you do a manual save via the pause menu right before the point of no return you can reload your save. Well, that's according to some of the reviews that came out before the game so I'm not sure but it would kinda make sense.

Woo-Fu

Banned
If you pre-purchased on Steam you will need to go into game/exclusive content from the main menu and enter your cd-key to unlock stuff like Lost Expeditions. Merely putting your key into to unlock the game itself doesn't do it.

Great job Ubisoft.

Rocket786

Ugh, just popped in this thread randomly to see GAF opinions, and get an ending spoiled via a video with no spoiler warning. WTF!

antitrop

If you pre-purchased on Steam you will need to go into game/exclusive content from the main menu and enter your cd-key to unlock stuff like Lost Expeditions. Merely putting your key into to unlock the game itself doesn't do it.

Great job Ubisoft.
And it won't let you Copy/Paste the CD Key. When I press CTRL+V it just pops up with a lower case 'v'. :(

legacyzero

Banned
Ugh, just popped in this thread randomly to see GAF opinions, and get an ending spoiled via a video with no spoiler warning. WTF!
Well to be fair, this page has warnings all over it. That said, sorry to hear. I watched it last night on the ubi forum, and the person that posted it didn't tag it either.

Apparently its only one of the endings.

SJRB

Gold Member
I think that if you do a manual save via the pause menu right before the point of no return you can reload your save. Well, that's according to some of the reviews that came out before the game so I'm not sure but it would kinda make sense.

That might work, I can't remember if the game autosaves when the credits are over. If not, that might be your window to quit the game and load a previous save. If not, the autosave overwrites the manual save file.

Also - holy shit at this update, how big is this thing? It's been downloading for 40 minutes now, this is crazy.

antitrop

I love how at the beginning the brother kills the guard by knocking his head against a bamboo pole several times and then says about how he learned that in the Army.
Shit, man, I didn't know military service gave you super powers. I feel cheated.

I must have been sick the day they showed us how to kill a person by gently knocking their head against a soft wood a few times, seems like a useful skill to have.

Man! I had the game preloaded on Steam, and when I tried to launch it this came up:

"Failed to start the game. Cannot find essential information in the registry. Re-installing the game may fix this problem."

Lame. Guess I'll reinstall. Anyone else have this problem, or have any insight on this?

Sadly the tearing and low framerates (sub-25 fps) are a fact, check out Digital Foundry's comparison. If you don't notice it, consider yourself lucky. It's an inexcusably bad port, it actually runs worse than Lords of Shadow.

I think that's the point - he doesn't notice it. I'm pretty sure that I won't as well. That's primarily the reason why I tend to ignore nitpicking, techinical discussions which, for me, take a great deal of the fun away from gaming.

Valkyr47

Banned
so how is this game in terms of goofing off?

to me, a captivating story, characters, etc is all icing on the cake

i play games like this to just wander the open world and get lost in it. How are the physics? can you shoot down limbs from trees like in Far Cry 2? i love pushing/shooting bodies off cliffs and watching them tumble down

maybe drive a jeep or vehicle to top of cliff and use explosivs to launch it into the distance, you know stuff like that

really intrigued about interspecies fighting

like can you get one predator to chase you near another and then watch them fight to the death? loved that in the fallout games

rbanke

Man! I had the game preloaded on Steam, and when I tried to launch it this came up:

"Failed to start the game. Cannot find essential information in the registry. Re-installing the game may fix this problem."

Lame. Guess I'll reinstall. Anyone else have this problem, or have any insight on this?

Getting the same thing. A thread on the steam forums suggests redownloading doesnt help. I can launch the exe and get uplay to open but it asks for a key, entering the one provided by steam says it's invalid. Yay...

JohngPR

Getting the same thing. A thread on the steam forums suggests redownloading doesnt help. I can launch the exe and get uplay to open but it asks for a key, entering the one provided by steam says it's invalid. Yay...

Did you try reverifying the cache?

scitek

Woo! No HUD!

screenshot51659sjosf.png

rbanke

Did you try reverifying the cache?

Yep.

A new post on the steam thread suggests adding the following to a shortcut (i just added it to the steam launch options) -uplay_steam_mode -language=English -steam_mode

Doing this allowed it to run and accept my code. After that, I removed the launch options and it seems to be working properly now.

Top Bottom