• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Omni

I should've finished this game by now. I've had it since release here in Australia... But I just keep on getting sidetracked in the jungle. :\

Badgerst3

Loving the game so far. 2 minor gripes.

Driving sucks.
The red dot and marksman bow sights seem a little too large. Both obscure the target.

Otherwise, good times.

Sentenza

Wow so many different opinions on Far Cry 2, but I'm really interested in the survival aspect so I'll see if I can buy it for cheap. My only concern is that it might be hard to go back and play Far Cry 2 after having such a good time with FC3
Easily.
I was a fierce FC2 "hater" and I expected just the worst for this sequel. "They took away the best thing from the second, the African setting, but they will leave all the flaws there", I thought.

Now I must admit they made a damn great job addressing most of the issues.
Of course some degree of repetition remains, like in most open world games, but the glaring difference is that now some of these repetitive activities (cleaning outposts, killing targets with knives, hunting) are fun in the first place.
There's a lot of map variety, those few different enemies mixed in different ways always create new, different challenges (especially if you aim to that 1500xp bonus), you have a very rewarding sense of progression through the whole game that lacked completely in the previous one and so on.

On the other hand, I can't think of a single fight/activity in FC2 which was even remotely entertaining; weapons sucked badly, everything felt the same, travelling through the land was a pain, respawn was obnoxious and so on.

R1CHO

The yellow dot syndrome is killing me.

Minor spoilers:

So... you have this "magical" compass for narrative reasons, and instead of using it ingame to get to your next objective, you just follow the fucking yellow dot on the map and on the world, like the compass doesn't really exist... yeah, find buck, fuck!

Loving the game so far. 2 minor gripes.

Driving sucks.

And here i was thinking that is one of the best things about the game, driving the quad around is crazy fun.

Linius

Explosive arrows will make outpost takeovers way too easy (getting the undetected 1500 XP bonus as well), but I can't deny that it's pretty fun watching them flop around from the explosions. Never knew what hit them.

http://youtu.be/Zl2APeGE6Gc

Looks brutal :lol

I've done every outpost on the northern island but one now. Going to do some more story related stuff to get the second island :D

Milamber

Love the editor...

1aEqh.jpg

A COLOSSAL missed opportunity by not allow you to create single player maps with vehicles and AI that you can play with your leveled up character, I just unlocked chain takedowns and the knife throw, was going to make a single player map with many opportunities to use it..no can do...I wonder if you CAN share single player (AI& vehicles) maps at all, I gave up searching.
Love the editor...

1aEqh.jpg
Takedowns being disabled when you play your own map kills it for me. :(

newsguy

I went to a little island to find a bird I needed to craft something. I get there all nonchalant thinking I'll be in and out. Little did I know those birds are cross bred with raptors. Holy hell people said crocs were scary, I had to jump my ass back into the water when those birds came charging.

Amagon

Been playing a 5 hour session which I was planning to pass out 2 hours ago but the game sucked me in like a Hoover vacuum. It's right up in the GOTY category for me.

Played for ten hours straight, holy shit. Really enjoying it, it feels like a fully realized FC2. And I hated FC2, as much as I loved some of its ideas.

I don't want to derail the thread, but the standard GOTY discussions will be coming up soon and I'm full prepared to defend my stance on the game. I fucking love it and everything about it. It's not perfect, and it's not "technically" the best game of the year, but it IS my favorite.

I feel like Spec Ops is a step forward for story telling in the entire medium (along with The Walking Dead) in a way that makes stuff like BLOPS II and Far Cry 3 embarrassing. We need more of that kind of stuff. Stories in games need to be taken more seriously.

With all that said, Far Cry 3 probably has the best straight up shooting gameplay this year.

I am on the second island. Is that the extent of Jason Brody's character progression? If so, yeah a huge disappointment when I was expecting it to go down a more Spec Ops type of progression, but he just seems to now be a typical macho hero. Does it ever embrace the cognitive dissonance that he goes from normal dude to one-man army in 1 hour flat? Why is he still grossed out at skinning animals?! haha

Maybe a little STALKER-like RPGness would favor that character in-game progression where you're shaky at first.

I take back what I said about this game being ugly on the 360. It can actually be gorgeous when it wants to be. At night it looks meh, but when the sun is rising/setting the game looks great. The character model animations are really well done too.

I just rescued a kid with blonde hair (holy hell the pirates should have killed this idiot!) by sniping pirates. I’m having fun but not as much as most of you. The game reminds me of Max Payne 3 – good but over hyped on GAF. Not sure if I’ll keep it.

I take back what I said about this game being ugly on the 360. It can actually be gorgeous when it wants to be. At night it looks meh, but when the sun is rising/setting the game looks great. The character model animations are really well done too.

I just rescued a kid with blonde hair (holy hell the pirates should have killed this idiot!) by sniping pirates. I’m having fun but not as much as most of you. The game reminds me of Max Payne 3 – good but over hyped on GAF. Not sure if I’ll keep it.

Max Payne 3 was overhyped on GAF? I thought it was one of the most disappointing games this year on GAF.

ironcreed

Banned
I never played the original on PC, but I did enjoy the hell out of the Instincts versions on Xbox and the 360. This feels like a true leap and progression from that into something totally fresh. Without the Predator stuff of course, lol.

Double D

Got into it last night around 9:00PM and it was 1:00AM before I knew it. What a fun game. I am having a hard time figuring out where to allocate my skills, though. There are a few locked skills that I'm not sure when they will be available, but I have found myself hoarding skill points for later.

KingKong

I hope they patch the popups and UI fairly soon, it's so awful.

Also why are there keys bound that aren't in the control menu? F1-F5 and the quicksave/load specifically

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Got into it last night around 9:00PM and it was 1:00AM before I knew it. What a fun game. I am having a hard time figuring out where to allocate my skills, though. There are a few locked skills that I'm not sure when they will be available, but I have found myself hoarding skill points for later.

The other skills will unlock at 2 different points upon progressing the story missions.

Dyno

Fired it up last night and it was impressive right from the start. It looks good, it feels good, and there's lots to do.

Geoff9920

I hope they patch the popups and UI fairly soon, it's so awful.

Also why are there keys bound that aren't in the control menu? F1-F5 and the quicksave/load specifically
What are the Quicksave / Quickload keys? I was looking for those and couldn't find them...

-BLITZ-

Through the story missions. Side quest will not unlock them. The second list of skills get unlocked when you meet Citra and the third are unlocked when you reach the second island. I did the same as you by having 15 points. I though they will be unlocked after you play some side quest, but after doing pretty much 78% of the first island and nothing more than 4 story missions made I find out afterwards that was better to meet Citra first and then roam around the island as those skills are takedowns and makes the gameplay more fun when taking outposts and radio towers, after all this is what is all about. I was pretty upset about this because I had more fun then with these skills.

Started this last night. Whoever posted that you shouldn't post your impressions right away was spot on. I wasn't really impressed at first at all, then after a few hours and things started making sense I really am starting to enjoy it. As others have said the bow is flat out amazing, so satisfying sneaking in and taking people out with. Also running around like a mad man doing takedowns is a blast too.

Really looking forward to getting more into it later today.

Can someone help me understand how to enjoy this game? Got it yesterday, did story missions through
retrieving the mushroom for the doctor
, then did a bit of hunting for crafting, climbed a couple of towers, and liberated a couple of outposts. Is this all there is to it? The story isn't really driving me, and right now I feel like I'm just going through the motions.

Ledsen

Can someone help me understand how to enjoy this game? Got it yesterday, did story missions through
retrieving the mushroom for the doctor
, then did a bit of hunting for crafting, climbed a couple of towers, and liberated a couple of outposts. Is this all there is to it? The story isn't really driving me, and right now I feel like I'm just going through the motions.

That's all there is to it. If you don't enjoy it, you won't enjoy the rest of the game.

Where do you even get the explosive arrows, I just found the Bow myself. i've been screwing around in the jungle mostly, just maxed out my ammo pouches.

I'm also not finding much yes for these combat syringes yet, the game is easy enough as it is on Normal. I got a bunch of health syringes, one hunter, and that's about it.

legacyzero

Banned
Where do you even get the explosive arrows, I just found the Bow myself. i've been screwing around in the jungle mostly, just maxed out my ammo pouches.

I'm also not finding much yes for these combat syringes yet, the game is easy enough as it is on Normal. I got a bunch of health syringes, one hunter, and that's about it.
Explosive arrows can be crafted. You need arrows and grenade s.

Later you'll learn how to craft Explosive Arrows. All it requires is one grenade and they only cost like $30 each.

SJRB

Gold Member

The only syringes I ever use are health and animal repellant in case I get attacked whilst sneaking into a base.

I'm not sure about the explosive arrows. I got a popup when the fire arrows were available but I don't remember such thing for the explosive ones - they were just there.

Never used either because you can't toggle through the weapon wheel, you have to bind themto the d-pad. Would make sense to make B/square cycle between arrows.

Ledsen

The only syringes I ever use are health and animal repellant in case I get attacked whilst sneaking into a base.

I'm not sure about the explosive arrows. I got a popup when the fire arrows were available but I don't remember such thing for the explosive ones - they were just there.

Never used either because you can't toggle through the weapon wheel, you have to bind themto the d-pad. Would make sense to make B/square cycle between arrows.

Hunter Instinct syringe is pretty key on some of the hunts, you do more damage to animals with it. You also get X-ray vision which is a minus :/

Double D

Through the story missions. Side quest will not unlock them. The second list of skills get unlocked when you meet Citra and the third are unlocked when you reach the second island. I did the same as you by having 15 points. I though they will be unlocked after you play some side quest, but after doing pretty much 78% of the first island and nothing more than 4 story missions made I find out afterwards that was better to meet Citra first and then roam around the island as those skills are takedowns and makes the gameplay more fun when taking outposts and radio towers, after all this is what is all about. I was pretty upset about this because I had more fun then with these skills.

Ok, thanks. I'll push things forward a bit. Maybe then I'll find some boars so I can hold more ammo.

Jharp

Only four hours in and holy fuck, this game is something very special. Really helps wash away the bad taste that Hitman: Absolution left in my mouth, which makes me feel better because both Far Cry 3 and Hitman: Absolution are consolized from their classic PC roots, but Far Cry 3 actually managed to do it well.

Seriously, you guys, I'm getting feels that I haven't gotten since the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, which are my favorite this generation. You know what Far Cry 3 feels like, four hours in? It feels like what Boiling Point: Road to Hell promised, but never delivered.

Man, I really hope it manages to stay this good by hour 30. And holy shit, the Idle Thumbs guys better get their hands on this.

For reference, I loved Far Cry 2.

Also, I have the game completely maxed out running at 1680x1050 and have not seen a single dip in performance. Easily running at or above 60, with no slowdown so far, though I imagine there may be scenes later on that will be slightly more taxing. I expected my FPS to hit the fucking floor as soon as I climbed that first radio tower and looked out across the island, but nope, smooth as butter.

If this stays as good as it's been, it'll top Dishonored for my favorite boxed game this year.

Hunter Instinct syringe is pretty key on some of the hunts, you do more damage to animals with it. You also get X-ray vision which is a minus :/
Animal Repellent syringe is ESSENTIAL for some of the Path of the Hunter quests, that freaking Golden Tiger, man that thing can kill me from the ground even when I'm standing on a rooftop, and you have to kill it with regular arrows. I died a few times even with Hunter Instinct. So I switched to Animal Repellent to see how it goes, took my sweet time to kill it, no hassle, the animals will rush at you but they won't attack you.

Love the editor...

1aEqh.jpg
I just got home from watching Life of Pi at the cinema. When I saw the sharks and the tigers, I thought to myself, "Someone needs to reenact scenes from this movie using the Far Cry 3 map editor......with Pi as a Pi-rate."

calder

Played for 4 hours last night, really digging it. Looks pretty nice on my machine at 1080p, everything on Very High or High and I average enough over 30fps that I'm happy to leave it. Makes me sad to see how much my budget-class 7770 is bottlenecking my PC, the game seems to barely tax my CPU at all. Ah well it's good enough for now, very playable for someone like me who likes and notices 60fps but plays enough PS3 games to be perfectly OK with never going below 30 ;)

Initially I was irritated with the crafting as the wallet/ammo/rucksack limit is so low at the beginning, but an hour spent finding pigs and deer sorted that out. It's hilarious how you can running through the jungle, kill and skin one last boar while being chased by enemies and quickly throw together a new handmade holster or pack mid-stride using only some blood soaked leather and presumably the greatest portable sewing kit of all time. But I guess it would be a game-stopping annoyance to only be able to craft at a safe house or something so it's better they erred on the side of playability.

The menus suck and the story is OK-ish at best early but the meat of the game is very fun. I am just horrible with that bow though, holy shit. The gunplay is almost too easy but just when I think I've sorted out using the bow I miss a clear shot and I can't even tell whether it was high or low.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hold up, there's a signature melee weapon (a sword) in this game that you can unlock? How do you get it? @_@

The letters off of the dead japanese imperial soldiers I think. Forget how many you need though. It ups the melee damage when you use it.

Willectro

Banned
This game is amazing, I could hardly put it down yesterday. It's definitely a strong contender for GOTY. My only complaints are the obvious Uplay annoyances (can't blame the devs for that, it's just poor business decisions at Ubi) and the large UI which can obscure some of the beautiful game at times. I feel like the game really focuses on the player having a good time, which so many games this gen have completely ignored.

Top Bottom