• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

KyleN

Banned
Really enjoying it without Hud!
i2Se8F1PBVlii.png
ivPzUGwL0GhcK.png

ibsI5qa96aQjbX.png
i7dunayYqoOtr.png

i2Ox5GOSIiiSv.png
ibtJq1YjVSVfpD.png

So, I come upon a riverbank, and I contemplate swimming across in the murk. I think to myself, "Eh, even though I've yet to see a croc, I don't feel like fucking with one right now". I decide to cross via the nearby bridge, hoping to bag one of the deer that have just randomly pranced around me, and WHAM! A croc bursts out of the water and drags off a deer, right where I had been standing.

I love random stuff like this in games; couldn't stop smiling.

How do I kill the rare black panther? I've got my bow skills maxed out, I use deadly hunter, and I still can't take this fucking bastard down.

edit- never mind, just stood on a rock and sniped him while he derped

SJRB

Gold Member
Really enjoying it without Hud!

Amazing. Does the no-hud also remove the "about to get spotted" indicator?

I'd love a no-hud version that left the spot indicator and animal attack prompts intact.

How do you deal with Death Warrants, how do you know who is your primary? Or do you just knife everyone.

Raptomex

BTW how do I get my handgun back? I see that I own it but I can only equip the SMG
I think you can obtain owned guns from the locker in your safehouse. I'm not very far but that's how I re-equipped the bow after I bought it.
Amazing. Does the no-hud also remove the "about to get spotted" indicator?

I'd love a no-hud version that left the spot indicator and animal attack prompts intact.

How do you deal with Death Warrants, how do you know who is your primary? Or do you just knife everyone.
Binoculars. Up on the d-pad. It will target your enemies so you know who's the primary.

spekkeh

Banned
God I hate the checkpointing in this game. I want to love it, but every time I die ten minutes into a mission and I have to start from the beginning (including cutscenes) I want to kick my xbox to a pulp.

Raptomex

God I hate the checkpointing in this game. I want to love it, but every time I die ten minutes into a mission and I have to start from the beginning (including cutscenes) I want to kick my xbox to a pulp.
Did you install the game by any chance? If so, any noticable differences?

SJRB

Gold Member
Binoculars. Up on the d-pad. It will target your enemies so you know who's the primary.

I thought no-hud would also remove those indicators. Would be cool if they wouldn't. I should definately try this no-hud edit out this weekend.

No, not enough space left on my hdd. Thinking about it though, cause of all the tearing and stuff, so interested to know if someone else has.

I only played with it installed and the tearing only seemed bad inside places moreso. Least as far as I could tell. Should try it and report back.

Beaulieu

I thought no-hud would also remove those indicators. Would be cool if they wouldn't. I should definately try this no-hud edit out this weekend.

I dont know about that no-hud stuff, but the skin of the character you need to knife is different. look at his clothing. he has a beret I think.

tbhysgb

Might have to dip on the PC version at some point :/. Having fun with the 360 version but its a dog. Can't handle too much gaming where my pc is at before my wrist cramps and my ass goes numb lol.

SJRB

Gold Member
I dont know about that no-hud stuff, but the skin of the character you need to knife is different. look at his clothing. he has a beret I think.

That's true, forgot about that. Nice!

also;

IT BURNS LIKE A MOTHER WHEN I PISS

Every other pirate I encounter has a bad case of STD's, Jason should get himself checked asap.

Jackpot

Banned
If people like Vaas and the setting I heavily recommend watching the movie Doomsday (the one set in post-apocalyptic Scotland).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The game took me a little while to get into with how gimped you are at the beginning but now that I'm passed that hurdle the game is great. This island feels more like a real place than any other game I've played.

The crafting stuff early in the game could have been much better thought out for the animals you encounter. I already have a wallet that requires two shark skins but can only carry one weapon since I haven't seen a goat.

I can't state enough how impressed I am with the overall first person mechanics and the feeling of body movement. Whether it be how smooth Jason will pull his gun back when ducking behind cover, climbing, sliding down hills, hopping over obstacles, doing the slide while on the run or whatever. It all just feels so smooth and natural and not awkward or sticky like a lot of games usually do it. The feeling and flow really brings you into the role and world even more.

Except climbing to ledges which is terribly implemented. Dishonored did it better.
If dishonored's movement was in this game it would be pretty much perfect.

cackhyena

Except climbing to ledges which is terribly implemented. Dishonored did it better.

Only thing Dishonored does better is the ledge climbing, because it doesn't glitch to have you further out/disconnected from the ledge as you do it. Otherwise this game has smoother controls. I feel more in control here than I did in Dishonored...and I liked that games controls.

Why is this thread kind of slow. Not alot of people pick this up?
I'm honestly just playing it a lot. Just discovered the achievements panel, got 17/40 so far. Can't see me collecting all 120 urns.
I really dig the ledges. Only time it feels weird is when you jump from afar and the camera kinda snaps to the ledge in a linear way. It feels like they've learned a lot from DICE with movement. Haven't played Dish' yet though.

Em honestly just playing it a lot. Just discovered the achievements panel, got 17/40 so far. Can't see me collecting all 120 urns.

That's good and all. Just when I'm at work, I check GAF throughout the day! Hope people are just absorbed by it. Speaking of... no nomination for GOTY at IGN...WTF!

Salsa

if the game had steam cheevos id probably do everything (not sure if I will anyway)

its weird since I dont really care for Steam achievements but having them there would be a better incentive

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Honestly just found out this was released, had a love hate relationship with Far Cry 2, loved it in theory but in practice it became annoying very fast and thus I didnt play much of it at all. Hows the game fairing from reviews? It looks gorgeous but im a little wary.

Prolly gona get this for Xmas. Read some complaints about the game getting very monotonous with the radio tower mechanic being a lazy design choice the devs brought over from AC.

Anyone getting bored of it?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Bought it, im a sucker for games with beautiful water and beaches

No seriously i am D:

Beaulieu

I like the towers. they are all different, theres less than 20, and you get a nice view from them. its a fun part of the exploration aspect.

You can snipe to the back of the head for a 1 hit kill. Gets you 200xp as well.

Early heavies yes, flamethrower/late game heavies no, they have armor plating there :/ I usually carry around the grenade launcher and 2 shots to the body will take one out if i can't get close enough to do a takedown

Top Bottom